• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know these are pretty common, but here you go. First give away, so hope I did this correctly. Edit: that Dust is Dust an Elysian Tale, not sure what happened there or if I can edit the quoted body.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Random Painted HIghway:

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Trine 2 -- MB-87249D1DBA05085A - Taken by Avinexus. 6 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-7A3DA96633C940FF - Taken by PaulExcellent. 10 entrants total.
Bastion -- MB-5398B4DA17C0650A - Taken by Ponn01. 5 entrants total.
Dust -- MB-1A417FF40CE361DB - Taken by Out_Of_Ammo. 16 entrants total.
FEZ -- MB-ED50FBDAA78AC895 - Taken by Rising_Hei. 6 entrants total.
FTL -- MB-B3F03B0615C14055 - Taken by Spring-Loaded. 10 entrants total.
Limbo -- MB-EAF6B368AC6172DB

t1404003906z1.png

73V3N

Banned
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary -- MB-110EF5862AEA5868 - Taken by dirtywhirlwind. 21 entrants total.

t1403994220z1.png

Really wish I had more to give, anyway, enjoy whoever gets it

Terra_Ex

IIRC javadots was around during an era where raffle functionality was preliminary and not frequently used; he mostly exploited the fact that you could camp giveaways and claim them immediately. But let me be clear that the root problem with javadots wasn't the abusive behaviour (we have tools to respond to that), but rather the way he gloated and later turned to insulting members who were bothered by his conduct.

This happens very very very very very very rarely and is caused by the following:
- ModBot spawns a new thread every 45 seconds. In a period where ModBot gets spammed with dozens of requests and multiple payouts, it's possible that the heartbeat will take more than 45 seconds
- As a result, two heartbeats can run at the same time. In programming this is called a race condition, when two programs are both trying to access things that are supposed to happen in a certain order but don't.
- When a giveaway is assigned to a person, before the edit occurs, there's a brief part in ModBot's code designed to detect when this is happening and prevent it. In other words, it should be impossible for multiple people to win the same thing because the second one heartbeat picks a winner, the other heartbeat should no longer be able to pick a winner. The more common situation is when one person gets two win PMs, which is annoying but not harmful.
- In the event that the timing is near-entirely exact and one person wins and then the next person wins before the first win is written temporarily to the database, a double-win could happen. This has happened very rarely in ModBot's history and I thought I had fixed the last of the conditions that allowed it to happen.
- ModBot is running slower than average because besides being totally pummeled, he's also not running on his usual server. The database performance here is not as good.

I have a way to further fix it (I had thought I made it impossible enough that it would never happen again), but I won't be able to implement it during the sale.

Edit: In the mean time, I've set ModBot's heartbeat timing to 75 seconds instead of 45, which should give him a bit of breathing room when a heartbeat is running long.
I see, cheers for the explanation. I'm no stranger to the many woes of coding as I work in the field myself and know what a pain it can be seeing an issue you thought you'd quashed rear its head again down the line. But life would be boring without these little challenges :)

As for raffle timings, could you not just parse a time value as part of the RAFFLE keyword or something - RAFFLE15 becomes a 15 minute raffle, etc.

NEO0MJ

Gonna bump this.

Decided to give away my extra copy of this game. Me and my friends have had a lot of fun with this game and I hope whoever wins it does the same. I know I can't force you not to participate but if you have no plans to play this game with other people can you please not participate as to give others a chance to enjoy it? Thanks.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Nidhogg -- MB-CAFB08ABBEA69C5E - Taken by Junko

t1403998731z1.png

I'm so sorry Salsa, I'm so so sorry about Uruguay
nah

By the way, this World Cup kinda makes me want to buy Football Manager. No daily deal yet, right?

After an extensive session of playing KOF XIII, my thumbs are hurting. Conclusion: I still suck at KOF, like always. Fun game though.

I'm playing it on a DS3 which probably didn't help it.

MarionCB

Using blacklist after all this talk. Modbot is awesome.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Ravensword: Shadowlands -- MB-9B9A9F9222C7D606 - Taken by Rnr1224. 1 entrants total.
Gianna Sisters -- MB-91C2BFC578A99540 - Taken by ImSooFlye. 3 entrants total.
Papo & Yo -- MB-B7E4728FBDB00B09 - Taken by City 17. 8 entrants total.

t1403994356z1.png

Caerith

Gonna bump this.

Decided to give away my extra copy of this game. Me and my friends have had a lot of fun with this game and I hope whoever wins it does the same. I know I can't force you not to participate but if you have no plans to play this game with other people can you please not participate as to give others a chance to enjoy it? Thanks.

Not entering, but this is one of those games that makes me wish I was still, like, in college where it was easy to get a bunch of people together to play games.

IIRC javadots was around during an era where raffle functionality was preliminary and not frequently used; he mostly exploited the fact that you could camp giveaways and claim them immediately. But let me be clear that the root problem with javadots wasn't the abusive behaviour (we have tools to respond to that), but rather the way he gloated and later turned to insulting members who were bothered by his conduct.

yea i forgot it was more of the "first come first serve" method in regards to winning in those days.

and iirc he apparently wasn't redeeming the games and got defensive when people were (rightfully tbh ) questioning it

wut

NEO0MJ

If I only post the game code in the message without the name will modbot still enter me in the raffle?

What's the easiest way to purchase a steam game to give away with Modbot?
purchase as gift?

Yep. Just use the put in inventory option. and then send it via e-mail to yourself.

Cerity

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Goat Simulator -- MB-BEF185A7D8545738 - Taken by Ruruja. 52 entrants total.

t1403994585z1.png

goat goat goat goat.

Nordicus

Holy shit Cloudbuilt is hard.
It is a bit tough, and it'll just get tougher as you get to later stages. However, once you have beaten these stages and come back to earlier ones to lower your top times, you can just *feel* how much better you have become at the game in the process. You'll shave dozens of seconds off with little effort

Gonna bump this.

Playing local is so awesome.

I just won cloudbuilt however it says the gift is already redeemed, now I have a dilemma, should I buy the game while it's on sale or wait for the original gifter to respond (in case it's an innocent mistake)?

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Goat Sim is meeeeeeeeeeh
by one of the baaaaaaaaah-st gammmmmmmeeeeeees ever. Time to hoof it.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
What's the easiest way to purchase a steam game to give away with Modbot?
purchase as gift?

Yes, otherwise, it will be added to your library if you don't have the game. Send the gift to one of your email address. Copy the redemption link inside the email, but remove everything after the question mark if you don't want everyone to know the email associated with your Steam account:

https://store.steampowered.com/account/ackgift/A010G4A0EF24336F?redeemer=YOUREMAIL%40gmail.com

Remove the bolded and submit the remaining link as you would a normal key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom