• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is grim dawn? Does anyone know if the retail price will increase from the early access or go down?

I haven't played the game since the initial alpha release so I have nothing to offer on the quality front other than "If you liked Titan Quest then you'll enjoy Grim Dawn", but its current price is final.

Sajjaja

The Mega giver part is a joke too, right? HAHAHAHAhehe....

I can't find the Kristen Bell laughing/crying gif, so take this one instead:

9uMdNBW.gif

Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

I feel the same.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I think Broforce may actually be one of the best games ever made. Reminds me so much of Super House Of Dead Ninjas (which I highly recommend)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hello once again my fine fellow GAFFERs here on this last chance for this rather saccadic sale.

TITANS RULE IS A JOKE

Seriously how can I know what GPU you guys have? Enter freely

You mean you haven't been watching us, from afar, smiling as we make our computers to play these fun games? I don't know what to believe any more.

Oh wait, I know. FRIENDSHIP!

MadGear

From looking at the steam forums, 3 seems like a really bad port with terrible controller support. DMC4 sounds like a great port, with extra features and modes. I'm thinking of just grabbing 4, though I've never really played games of this type. (maybe 1 hour on DMC back on PS2 long time ago)

I havent played the PC Version of DMC3 yet but played the PS2 version emulated on PC without any bigger issues. If the PC Version is really that bad then the PS2 version could actually be the better alternative.

I have a possible proposition for anyone interested. I'm still level 7 on steam and locked out of the market, so I can't buy any cards to craft a badge. I've got 1 Summer sale card already but the other 9 are locked until I'm level 8, so if anyone has all the cards for a badge and haven't crafted it yet, if you let me craft it to get to level 8, i'll give you all my summer sale cards. Friend me on steam if and send a message if you're interested.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I'm really curious to see what team (Blue) is gonna come out on top in the next ten minutes (blue). Or if the almighty have of Steam will make everyone (Blue) win.

Go teams! (Blue)

Pakkidis

The generosity that some of you display is amazing.

In about 10 minutes I'm going to purchase all the games I want. you guys are making me nervous when the last day is. Don't want to risk anything.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Its early access, so take what the Devs say with a pinch of salt.

There are positive reviews however, so its Titan Quest/ Diablo-lite so make of it what you will.

Well it is made by a lot of the same core team that made Titan Quest :) Not played it myself of course but it looks like they know what they're doing.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I just put in around 30-40 minutes on 8-Bit Commando. I would not recommend it. I got it in a bundle and was excited to try it because it's like a Contra game, so yay! Unfortunately, it's not very good. The game is extremely extremely slow and sluggish, the levels are okay but not really up to the calibre of a Contra game, it doesn't look very good (the background tiles don't tile properly, so there are odd borders between segments). Unlike Contra you take multiple hits. When you die, you restart at the most recent checkpoint. But the timer keeps ticking down. You have five minutes to finish a stage (there are 6 stages, I finished 4 and tried the 5th). There are bosses and they are sort of Contra-like but... the tightness just isn't there. Like, it doesn't feel satisfying to move through the stages, dodge enemies, and shoot them. Also powerups are sporadic and often useless.

Also the title screen just says "Commando", not "8-Bit Commando". It has 360 controller support but you can't use the d-pad only the analog sticks. The default resolution is like 800x600 and if you try to change resolution, it changes resolution every time you switch (so you have to change resolution like 20 times to get to 1920x1080). Just really rough around the edges in that regard.

Basically I feel like this game is a prime example of something that either isn't ready for release or is more appropriate for a service like Desura. It's just not there. It's not that it's a bad game, it's that it's not a professional product yet. It still needs time in the incubator.

There's no achievement support. There are leaderboards but a) no one is playing this (I was top 50 even in levels I did poop on) and b) the leaderboard is some weird aggregate of your number of enemies killed, accuracy, and time so it wasn't really clear how my performance would translate into the leaderboards. There is no steam cloud support. There are no trading cards.

natertots

The generosity that some of you display is amazing.

In about 10 minutes I'm going to purchase all the games I want. you guys are making me nervous when the last day is. Don't want to risk anything.

A lot of the games I still need to buy have 24 hours left according to the countdowns. Plus it's advertised as going through the 30th. If a deal is going to run out at the next switchover then I'd buy for sure now.

Pakkidis

I just put in around 30-40 minutes on 8-Bit Commando. I would not recommend it. I got it in a bundle and was excited to try it because it's like a Contra game, so yay! Unfortunately, it's not very good. The game is extremely extremely slow and sluggish, the levels are okay but not really up to the calibre of a Contra game, it doesn't look very good (the background tiles don't tile properly, so there are odd borders between segments). Unlike Contra you take multiple hits. When you die, you restart at the most recent checkpoint. But the timer keeps ticking down. You have five minutes to finish a stage (there are 6 stages, I finished 4 and tried the 5th). There are bosses and they are sort of Contra-like but... the tightness just isn't there. Like, it doesn't feel satisfying to move through the stages, dodge enemies, and shoot them. Also powerups are sporadic and often useless.

Also the title screen just says "Commando", not "8-Bit Commando". It has 360 controller support but you can't use the d-pad only the analog sticks. The default resolution is like 800x600 and if you try to change resolution, it changes resolution every time you switch (so you have to change resolution like 20 times to get to 1920x1080). Just really rough around the edges in that regard.

Basically I feel like this game is a prime example of something that either isn't ready for release or is more appropriate for a service like Desura. It's just not there. It's not that it's a bad game, it's that it's not a professional product yet. It still needs time in the incubator.

There's no achievement support. There are leaderboards but a) no one is playing this (I was top 50 even in levels I did poop on) and b) the leaderboard is some weird aggregate of your number of enemies killed, accuracy, and time so it wasn't really clear how my performance would translate into the leaderboards. There is no steam cloud support. There are no trading cards.

Check out intrusion 2 if you haven't already. Could give you the contra fix your looking for. Just beat it 20 minutes ago. Fantastic game with a few annoyances.

BJK

With about ten minutes left for yesterday's sales I have a possible proposition for someone. I'm still level 7 on steam and locked out of the market, so I can't buy any cards to craft a badge. I've got 1 Summer sale card already but the other 9 are locked until I'm level 8, so if anyone has all the cards for a badge and haven't crafted it yet, if you let me craft it to get to level 8, i'll give you all my summer sale cards. Friend me on steam if and send a message if you're interested.

...no more votes = no more chances to unlock those cards.

Sorry to say it, but you're out of luck this time around.

Volcynika

Yeah. I beat it in apparently 27 minutes. It's......eh.

KiraFA37

Quickly crafted another badge for the Blue Master Race. If we win it will be part because of me.
If we lose we blame pink.

Edit: Suddenly third. nooooooo.gif

Among people who have actually played any of their games, what's everybody's favorite grab so far? I ended up being really happy I picked up Space Base DF9. It's got some work needed still, and there isn't a whole lot to build, but it's a nice blend of relaxing and 'Oh, hell, things are not good' panic at times. Some more random dialogue for people coming by (with different results being possible for the same options like FTL has, so far it seems like it's obvious when somebody wants to kill you or when they want to join your crew) would go a long way to improving the game, and a lot more options of things to build. But for 8 bucks or whatever I grabbed it for, the game's in a place I'm happy with. I put in a few hours yesterday and I can definitely see myself checking in as the game is updated.

Everyday Genius: Square Logic (I think that's the correct name) is the best puzzle game I've picked up in the Steam sale, and played, Devil May Cry 4 is the best action game I've acquired, Shatter was my favourite score-based arcade game (over Really Big Sky, Pacman, and Metal Slug 3), Long Live the Queen is my favourite surprise game of the sale, but, overall, I think Risk of Rain is the best purchase I made. It reminds me of The Binding of Isaac, currently my most played game on Steam, due to the vast array of content, the random element ensuring the game remains dynamic, the challenging yet quite fare nature of the game, the progressive difficulty, and the wealth of content available. I can very much see myself sinking many hours into the game. Each playthrough, similar to The Binding of Isaac, is quite short and easy to get into which furthers the addictive nature of the game when combined with the randomised loot. The art style is simple but pleasing, and the music suits the mood. Getting it on sale was an absolute steal, but even without the extra discount brought on by it being featured on the main page, it would be money very well spent as it is precisely what I'm looking for when purchasing a game on Steam. I certainly would recommend it to anybody on the fence who enjoys similar games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom