• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Doom 3 BFG also give me the original Doom 3? I hear criticism about the enhanced visuals of the BFG version, so if I don't like it I'd like to do the Sikkmod on the original.

A lot of the visual issues have been fixed since it game out, such as an option that treats shadows the same way they were in the original Doom 3.

I don't know about mods, im guessing you're better off with the original Doom 3 if that's one of the things you're looking for. Just know that BFG edition features Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil (considered as good if not better than Doom 3), a whole new set of levels only in BFG, and it also includes Doom 1 & 2. Also, all have controller support included, which for me is always a big deal since my PC is always & only hooked up to my TV.

I do not just "take", my hands are much more smooth and gentle than that.

cat_trying_to_steal_chicken_from_the_table-100651.gif

tmarques

What is this sorry excuse for a cat that can't jump on a table?

Edit: Buying The Walking Dead Season 2 would be stupid, right? It's not fully out yet, I hate waiting for episodes once I started playing, it'll be cheaper in the winter and I haven't even touched Wolf Among Us. Why's it so so difficult to make rational choices during these sales?

I'm sick of my Xbox 360 controller on my PC. I'm willing to buy almost anything else, but I really like how well the 360 controller is supported. What should I buy to replace it?

Ibuki

Banned
I'm sick of my Xbox 360 controller on my PC. I'm willing to buy almost anything else, but I really like how well the 360 controller is supported. What should I buy to replace it?

Dualshock 4 or Xbox One controller both are really awesome. X1 has official drivers and DS4 has unofficial drivers but they both work very well.

The X1 controller if you can live with no wireless for now.

Yeah I'm already using a wired 360 controller, no big deal. It's just so big and never fit my hands well.

Did they come out with good driver support for Xbone controllers? I'm aiming for as close parity of Xbox 360 controller support as I can.

DS3 with that DS3 wrapper? Never tried, but people always say that it works like charm.

I could never find a download of the DS3 drivers that I trusted so I gave up.

Dualshock 4 or Xbox One controller both are really awesome. X1 has official drivers and DS4 has unofficial drivers but they both work very well.

Do you have a link to the DS4 drivers? Are they trustworthy?

Thanks for replying everyone!

Godan

I use my spare ps4 controller for my pc and it work great with everything I have played so far. Think I will need to get a bluetooth adapter for it so I can go wireless.

Guess it depends on why you dislike the 360 controller. I'm using a Dualshock 4 on my PC right now and am quite happy with it except right now a couple of my micro USB cables have broken so I have to sit a little close to my computer right now. (I could use Bluetooth as well, but I prefer the simplicity/laziness of USB.) Dualshock 3 is a little easier to set up in that you don't have to run a separate program, just the driver emulation. Xbox One controller apparently has native drivers now but does not support Bluetooth, only micro USB.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I wanted to play Dark Souls. I launched Dark Souls. I was gonna sign into GFWL. GFWL says my passord or email is incorrect. It works on the website and in other GFWL games. I have reinstalled Dark Souls and GFWL.

GO AND DIE GFWL!!!!

watermelon.gif

See if logging into Xbox.com and accepting the TOS fixes the problem.

Grief.exe

Yeah I'm already using a wired 360 controller, no big deal. It's just so big and never fit my hands well.

Did they come out with good driver support for Xbone controllers? I'm aiming for as close parity of Xbox 360 controller support as I can.

Yes the XBO drivers are official and are compatible with xinput.

You have to jump through some hoops to get the DS4 to the same compatibility level. Very simple though, either choice is fine.

There are essentially three relevant forks in development. All legit, all function fine, and all available from the pcsx2 forum.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-Another-fork-another-thread

I can't imagine how many frigging copies of Skyrim must have sold on Steam. Every time the thing is on sale it's at the head of the top sellers list.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
awesome. I wonder how many of those 3k games have you played?

Hard to say, but it'd definitely be less than 300 and likely closer to 200. Thanks to card idling it's not as easy as just throwing my profile into a calculator and making note of the percentage unplayed figure.

TsuXna

So i've went out looking for a good gaming mouse...walked half of the city at 37-40C, found none good gaming mouse which supports Mac...FML.
PS, i've walked for 3 hours.

TsuXna

Hard to say, but it'd definitely be less than 300 and likely closer to 200. Thanks to card idling it's not as easy as just throwing my profile into a calculator and making note of the percentage unplayed figure.

So you mostly buy games for the cards to craft badges?oO

I would just do BFG, not sure what the criticisms were of it at the time but I played for an hour or two when it came out and it felt the same overall outside of the gameplay changes.

Most people recommend going with the original.

You miss out on the wealth of mods available for some mediocre extra content and achievements.

I love achievements as much as the next guy, but I think missing out on the visual mods alone is a huge negative.

A lot of the visual issues have been fixed since it game out, such as an option that treats shadows the same way they were in the original Doom 3.

I don't know about mods, im guessing you're better off with the original Doom 3 if that's one of the things you're looking for. Just know that BFG edition features Doom 3, Resurrection of Evil (considered as good if not better than Doom 3), a whole new set of levels only in BFG, and it also includes Doom 1 & 2. Also, all have controller support included, which for me is always a big deal since my PC is always & only hooked up to my TV.

I really like the visuals of the Sikkmod, really dark and grim, the way I wanna play it. If I buy the OG Doom 3 pack and Classic doom pack, I'll have spend less than BFG. I like controller support in my games as well, Doom 3 doesn't seem to have native support, but I recently purchased pinnacle game profiler so that's good.

I have tried a few third party controllers before...not a big fan.

Guess it depends on why you dislike the 360 controller. I'm using a Dualshock 4 on my PC right now and am quite happy with it except right now a couple of my micro USB cables have broken so I have to sit a little close to my computer right now. (I could use Bluetooth as well, but I prefer the simplicity/laziness of USB.) Dualshock 3 is a little easier to set up in that you don't have to run a separate program, just the driver emulation. Xbox One controller apparently has native drivers now but does not support Bluetooth, only micro USB.

The 360 controller is too big, too heavy. I don't like the sticks, pads, or triggers.

I've tried the X0 and PS4 controllers and I thought both were great.

Yes the XBO drivers are official and are compatible with xinput.

You have to jump through some hoops to get the DS4 to the same compatibility level. Very simple though, either choice is fine.

There are essentially three relevant forks in development. All legit, all function fine, and all available from the pcsx2 forum.

http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-DS4Windows-Another-fork-another-thread

I like the sound of this very, very much. I trust the PCSX2 crowd. I can't look at the drivers at work but I'll bookmark the link.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So you mostly buy games for the cards to craft badges?oO

I buy them for the sake of having them. The whole badge crafting thing never really grabbed me -- I level up to stay ahead of my friends list size and that's about it.

Copons

Every occasion is a fine occasion to post this:

fuck-this-thing-cat.gif

What is this sorry excuse for a cat that can't jump on a table?

If it was for cats they wouldn't even walk to their food but just wait for someone to handfeed them forever.
Mine has this habit of playing with cords but being completely still. She just moves ONE paw and occasionally tries to bite, but if unfortunately the cord is more than 20cm far, she is like meh k it was fun night night.
I guess their brain is in a constant super fierce battle between complete eagerness and complete laziness, so they just work half and half, like there, eager front paws / frozen back paws.

Weird fellas these damn cats.

SparkTR

Shame, what's recommended then, original or BFG?

BFG has an exclusive chapter, but it apparently sucks and they cut content from RoE I hear. The game is also a whole lot more action focused and fast paced compared to the original, with the flashlight and more ammo around. The original is more like a survival horror, and has a ton of mods.

Ibuki

Banned
I finally gave in. I grabbed Astebreed and Crimzon Clover. With these and Ikaruga I have a lot of SHMUP goodness ahead of me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom