• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it isn't competitive (I think), is PAYDAY 2 viable with a controller on PC? Wondering since I have so many people on my friendlist buying it, and I'd be more comfortable playing on my tv with a controller.

gngf123

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Defy Gravity Extended -- MB-B194C63A2097D71E - Taken by _hekk05. 3 entrants total.

t1404140360z1.png

Turfster

Oh Activision...
There's currently a 'deal' on the Modern Warfare trilogy on stacksocial that has the 3 main games for only 40$! That's 49% off!

In better deal news, the humble store's Saints Row The Third Full Package daily is better than Steam's for Europe, at 6€ vs 7.49€

(Also, when the hell do these dailies even update? Every time I check, they're not up, until I check the next day when I get up, and they're almost over)

Poetic

Steam pros, how are people just appearing on my friends list without accepting? Is it because we're in the same group? Kinda weird.

DSN2K

tempted to give Assassins Creed III a second chance...got bored during Kenway section and dropped it on Xbox. Somebody convince me otherwise.

Some final impressions of games i've recently dug into/finished.

Bulletstorm: I wish this was still on sale for $5 so i can push this on you steam peeps. This game is legit fun, and, weirdly enough, the closest thing to a Vanquish/Gears game that we'll probably ever have on Steam. It's excellently paced, with very little in the way of filler for a game that clocked in at 10 hours. The only nickpick i really have is that the quality of the video cutscenes is absolute fucking garbage. a small quibble, really.

Gone Home: Overall, i liked it and I feel that part of that was due to only paying $3 for it. I can only imagine that a lot of the hate this game may have gotten was due in part to its initial $20 price point because, really, it's about 2 hours long if you really go all in on it. The game itself is basically an exploration game with a progressive (at least for gaming) narrative tying it all together. The story did manage to affect me in ways, though, so the game gets a few points for that.

One thing that REALLY bothered me was its performance. The game must be either poorly optimized or just not meant to be run alongside Big Picture mode because A) it ran somewhere between 40-60 fps for most of the game on a rig that has only really seen similar results when playing Crysis 3 and B) whenever I got a steam notification/popup the framerate would take an enormous hit, right into slide show territory. Weird.

Resident Evil Revelations: Only about a couple of hours into it but i like it so far. The scanning mechanic is interesting, the story is weirdly there, like they're really trying for a side game, and the visuals, while not exactly on the cutting edge, are pretty decent for what is an upport of a 3ds game. One thing that's been driving me crazy is the weapons. They're so underwhelming, which is really unfortunate given that some of my favorite weapons ever come from the RE series, specifically RE4. I almost wish there was a sound mod that made my pistol not sound like i was using a super soaker.

gngf123

Steam pros, how are people just appearing on my friends list without accepting? Is it because we're in the same group? Kinda weird.

Giveaways?

If you accept a gift on Steam, or give one away on GAF, they automatically get added to your friend list.

Kiru

Since it isn't competitive (I think), is PAYDAY 2 viable with a controller on PC? Wondering since I have so many people on my friendlist buying it, and I'd be more comfortable playing on my tv with a controller.

Well, there are console versions of the game, so I do hope it is.

DogMeat77

tempted to give Assassins Creed III a second chance...got bored during Kenway section and dropped it on Xbox. Somebody convince me otherwise.

The boat portions were fun but as soon as you leave the ship you are back to the same ol dull AssCreed with simple and repetitive combat.

Not worth it. The characters and story are really not great, and the gameplay suffers a lot because of the setting and the way everything is laid out.

Going to hold on MGR until it's a bit cheaper and hope for the possibility of patch to fix the resolutions without needing that fix.

If you are talking about being unable to downsample in gaming, I'm not sure a patch is coming. It was the same way at launch, so they aren't in a rush to fix it. To be honest, not something I would really wait around for.

Bulletstorm: I wish this was still on sale for $5 so i can push this on you steam peeps. This game is legit fun, and, weirdly enough, the closest thing to a Vanquish/Gears game that we'll probably ever have on Steam. It's excellently paced, with very little in the way of filler for a game that clocked in at 10 hours. The only nickpick i really have is that the quality of the video cutscenes is absolute fucking garbage. a small quibble, really.

Gone Home: Overall, i liked it and I feel that part of that was due to only paying $3 for it. I can only imagine that a lot of the hate this game may have gotten was due in part to its initial $20 price point because, really, it's about 2 hours long if you really go all in on it. The game itself is basically an exploration game with a progressive (at least for gaming) narrative tying it all together. The story did manage to affect me in ways, though, so the game gets a few points for that.

One thing that REALLY bothered me was its performance. The game must be either poorly optimized or just not meant to be run alongside Big Picture mode because A) it ran somewhere between 40-60 fps for most of the game on a rig that has only really seen similar results when playing Crysis 3 and B) whenever I got a steam notification/popup the framerate would take an enormous hit, right into slide show territory. Weird.

Resident Evil Revelations: Only about a couple of hours into it but i like it so far. The scanning mechanic is interesting, the story is weirdly there, like they're really trying for a side game, and the visuals, while not exactly on the cutting edge, are pretty decent for what is an upport of a 3ds game. One thing that's been driving me crazy is the weapons. They're so underwhelming, which is really unfortunate given that some of my favorite weapons ever come from the RE series, specifically RE4. I almost wish there was a sound mod that made my pistol not sound like i was using a super soaker.

Thanks for the reviews :)

Bulletstorm is great, I finished it on PS3 and it was really fun.
cactus impalation

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Allirght guys, Ikaruga is awesome, buy it.

The only thing, I wish my TV could switch into portrait mode and the get a full screen image.

Grief.exe

Bulletstorm: I wish this was still on sale for $5 so i can push this on you steam peeps. This game is legit fun, and, weirdly enough, the closest thing to a Vanquish/Gears game that we'll probably ever have on Steam.

Never say never

If you are talking about being unable to downsample in gaming, I'm not sure a patch is coming. It was the same way at launch, so they aren't in a rush to fix it. To be honest, not something I would really wait around for.

Nah, it basically doesn't support my monitor's native res without a fix that requires you to set the res to 800x600 each time you start the game. It's not the worst thing in the world to have to deal with and a silly reason to not want to play a game, but I really don't want to buy it and have to deal with such a dumb thing that they should be able to fix.

Will Doom 3 BFG also give me the original Doom 3? I hear criticism about the enhanced visuals of the BFG version, so if I don't like it I'd like to do the Sikkmod on the original.

nexen

Ikaruga is beautiful, inventive and challenging.
I've bought it 3 times now.

But I still can't get past the second stage :(

nexen

Procyon and Gigantic Army are both great little arcade games.
If you like shmups or side-scrolling mech action, I recommend them.

That shit is tough. I tried like 20 times the other night and still couldn't pass it.

I'm going to try again on easy tonight. It isn't like I'm a total shmup noob here. The polarity mechanism just breaks my head.

dani_dc

Oh Activision...
There's currently a 'deal' on the Modern Warfare trilogy on stacksocial that has the 3 main games for only 40$! That's 49% off!

In better deal news, the humble store's Saints Row The Third Full Package daily is better than Steam's for Europe, at 6€ vs 7.49€

(Also, when the hell do these dailies even update? Every time I check, they're not up, until I check the next day when I get up, and they're almost over)
I believe they ypdayr at 7pm GMT, which is to say, 1 hour after Steam updates.

fantomena

I wanted to play Dark Souls. I launched Dark Souls. I was gonna sign into GFWL. GFWL says my passord or email is incorrect. It works on the website and in other GFWL games. I have reinstalled Dark Souls and GFWL.

GO AND DIE GFWL!!!!

watermelon.gif

Grief.exe

Shame, what's recommended then, original or BFG?

Most people recommend going with the original.

You miss out on the wealth of mods available for some mediocre extra content and achievements.

I love achievements as much as the next guy, but I think missing out on the visual mods alone is a huge negative.

I wanted to play Dark Souls. I launched Dark Souls. I was gonna sign into GFWL. GFWL says my passord or email is incorrect. It works on the website and in other GFWL games. I have reinstalled Dark Souls and GFWL.

GO AND DIE GFWL!!!!

I still a have a few GFWL games in my Steam account that I want to play or return to, but I refuse to touch them until GFWL is stripped out. Dark Souls and Dawn of War 2 are the big ones.

Shame, what's recommended then, original or BFG?

BFG runs worse for little visual benefit.

gngf123

Ikaruga is beautiful, inventive and challenging.
I've bought it 3 times now.

But I still can't get past the second stage :(

Keep practising, you'll get there. I remember struggling on that boss for a while. Switching polarity when you are up close is a nice way to take it out faster, if that helps.

One day I'll get past stage 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom