• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

cchriss

Caesar in Gaul and Hannibal At The Gates have extra campaigns along with new factions and historical battles, so those two are worth it imo. The rest are all extra factions and there is also the Blood & Gore DLC

Thanks, I got all the DLC I don't have except for Pirates and Raiders. Not bad for 12 dollars.

Contacted Steam Support requesting the ridiculous "7 day market ban" on my account just because I reinstalled Windows be lifted, their reply, "We cannot lift the restriction". It's ridiculous that they consider this an acceptable policy during a sale (or at all, to be honest), the response I got actually stated the following as well:

... which is laughable. What is the point of Steam Guard then, if it operates in the opposite way to which it is advertised? It's supposed to be a two factor authentication system, for authorising you to access your account once you've proved your identity - instead, should you use it, it may arbitrarily lock you out of parts of your account with no warning.

This is the number one thing Valve need to get on to.

There's security, and then there's rubbish.

Two-factor authentication is to prove your identity, and yet they're so scared of it (I wonder if there's a reason to be?)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one who's constantly confused at how the pricing works on the community market? If, say, I put an item on sale at $1 (where I'd receive $0.8 or something) I can never figure out which one of those values the other users will see, and what's monitored by the price graph. Like, if the graph tells me that item's been selling at $1 recently, and I want to match that, should I put $1 in the 'buyer pays' or 'you receive' box?

(yet another aspect where's steam's UI is way below standards)

Buyers see the final price. This isn't an example of the many features of Steam that need to be overhauled.

Deadstar

I played and liked RE5 but wasnt super impressed with it - should I get RE4 or RE6?

RE6 is very fun in coop. If you go in knowing it's going to be a Resident Evil game directed by Michael Bay you'll be fine.It's definitely worth it for the amount of game you get.

So, Steamworld Dig.

I have it wishlisted a LONG time ago and I can't remember why anymore. :D

On Steam I read it's a metroidvania, which is good.
But at the same time, looking at its screens, it gives me puzzle-platforming vibes. Like Fez (imho pretentious) or Full Bore (imho boring).

Anyone who played it could solve my doubt?

Thanks!

You start out with a basic pickaxe and start digging in the mines. You then find different upgrades that allow you to progress further down, while also finding different minerals that you can sell back in town to upgrade your gear/buy useful consumables. I don't find it pretentious or boring at all. The mechanics and animations are great, and it's very relaxing to dig and dig. The game doesn't overstay its welcome, either. It's only a few hours long. I own it on PS4/Vita and found it to be a solid purchase.

Salsa

oh Ikaruga didnt win huh

shock and awe

god dammit

still no moneys for Ass Flags : ( was really expecting a deeper discount

Lomax

Okay, but then how come some items sell at $0.01? I mean that leaves nothing to the seller, it all goes to valve...

If you're referring to the chart, I'm not sure what exactly it shows, especially at the very low end. Could be that people do sell at 0 just to get rid of the item, but I don't even know for sure if that is possible. I've never noticed any real issues if you're above the minimum though in terms of consistency.

All that said, this buy order system is brand new, so some things have changed slightly. But the fundamentals are essentially the same.

Brannon

I flipped a coin between Child of Light and The Banner Saga.

After an eternity in the air and forever in my palm, it's time to install The Banner Saga!

Let's deux dis.

kswiston

Probably been said hundreds of times already but fuck steam community for not voting Ikaruga.

Steam community voting is the worst. There have been several crazy 90% off deals we have missed in favour of getting Farcry 3 or something for $7.50 for the 30th time in the last 3 months.

Acccent

no items sell at 0.01. they sell at 0.03, whereupon 0.01 goes to the dev, 0.01 to valve, and 0.01 to the seller.

but...
LKuXwZC.png

wait does that mean that basically since my currency is in € I am simply not allowed to sell some items, because I can't enter a low enough price, while if I was in $ I would?

Hanzou

You start out with a basic pickaxe and start digging in the mines. You then find different upgrades that allow you to progress further down, while also finding different minerals that you can sell back in town to upgrade your gear/buy useful consumables. I don't find it pretentious or boring at all. The mechanics and animations are great, and it's very relaxing to dig and dig.
Sounds like my kind of game. Will buy!

mannerbot

I was really underwhelmed by it. I don't know how far into the game I got, seemed like a long way, but there was no challenge to it whatsoever. There wasn't platforming or real exploration, there wasn't any puzzle solving, and the combat was as basic as it gets. People rave about it but I played long enough to get a whole bunch of upgrades and it seemed mechanically to be slightly deeper than cookie clicker.

Strongly agree, don't understand the praise for this one. I was excited enough to get it day 1 when it released on Steam and... yeah. Not happy about doing that.

Amzin

I seriously, legitimately, literally, do not believe how bad the community voting has been this sale. EVERY single choice has been wrong!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
What DLC should I get for the full Civ V experience?
Buy the "Gods and Kings" and "Brave New World" expansions. Anything else is optional, though you might want to pick up a couple DLC civilizations if they interest you. Maps are not really worth it.

Civ 5 DLC worth it, or should I just wait for Beyond Earth to come out?

Worth it. Beyond Earth is going to play a bit differently.

Dambrosi

Banned
So, Steamworld Dig.

I have it wishlisted a LONG time ago and I can't remember why anymore. :D

On Steam I read it's a metroidvania, which is good.
But at the same time, looking at its screens, it gives me puzzle-platforming vibes. Like Fez (imho pretentious) or Full Bore (imho boring).

Anyone who played it could solve my doubt?

Thanks!
What

If you found Full Bore "boring" (excuse the pun), then maybe SWD isn't for you. Maybe Spelunky isn't for you either, and I don't have the words to describe how I feel about that.

Deitus

Not to be "that guy" but it is a difference of $2.50. The game is still worth buying at $5.00

But when you pay twice as much, that means you can buy half as many games.

I would say hold off until the last day. There's still a chance it will be a flash sale. If it isn't, then pay 5 bucks on the final day.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Jesus gaf, in about 13 hours I have the oral section of my final exam, and I'm scared shitless.

Tell me that everything will be fineeeeeeee.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Contacted Steam Support requesting the ridiculous "7 day market ban" on my account just because I reinstalled Windows be lifted, their reply, "We cannot lift the restriction". It's ridiculous that they consider this an acceptable policy during a sale (or at all, to be honest), the response I got actually stated the following as well:

... which is laughable. What is the point of Steam Guard then, if it operates in the opposite way to which it is advertised? It's supposed to be a two factor authentication system, for authorising you to access your account once you've proved your identity - instead, should you use it, it may arbitrarily lock you out of parts of your account with no warning.

It's not laughable. Stop and think. How does Valve benefit from you not spending money? They don't. Therefor whatever reason you think they have for doing this, it's not to profit. Ergo, if their stated reason is to deter fraud, why would you think the actual reason is not to deter fraud?

Here's the loophole a hacker could exploit if they didn't have this rule:
1) An account does not have SteamGuard, and thus cannot use the market.
2) A hacker hacks the account and adds SteamGuard
3) The hacker abuses the market.

Alternatively:
1) A hacker phishes your SteamGuard code
2) A hacker adds their computer to your account
3) The hacker abuses the market

Why support can't lift it:
1) Hacker hacks you
2) Hacker asks support to let them in
3) The hacker abuses the market

Both of these scenarios are stopped by the policy that is preventing you from using the market. So clearly the stated reason that this is designed to reduce fraud makes sense.

What you actually mean is that security measures are frustrating when they inconvenience you. Yes, they are. Tough shit. But it's not as though the Steam Market is a do or die situation. You'll be okay. You don't need to use the market this very instant. The items will still be there, and you still have options to get the badge without using the market, including asking anyone here for help. I am sure someone would be happy to buy you one of every card in exchange for 1 TF2 key once you're able to trade again. Next time either don't format your computer in the middle of the sale, or have another device that wasn't just added (all your other computers, phones, etc, anything else you've previously authorized will continue to work with the marketplace right now)

And here's the advertising you were looking for:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1047-edfm-2932

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom