• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously, legitimately, literally, do not believe how bad the community voting has been this sale. EVERY single choice has been wrong!

I've come to the conclusion that a lot of people vote for the batch including their favourite games, so mainstream games such as FarCry 3, GTA4, Borderlands 2, Bioshock infinite or Dark soul are always going to win against less popular ones.

MikeDown

Banned
Calling it now, Red Victory! We ARE the Master Commanders!

DUnsju9.png

Limited funds, man.

Well, if you want to play an excellent ~20 hour game with notzombies, a B-movie script with awesome lines, and the ability to roundhouse kick and suplex dudes, buy RE4. If you want a relaxing, city building game where you are responsible for the lives of a handful of people, that you can spend countless hours on, buy Banished.

Lomax

SteamGAF is only like .01% of the entire Steam community. We're always fighting an uphill battle.

ffty. Though in all seriousness, it's easy to forget how small Gaf and other forums are compared to the whole user base. Look at the games we all have multiples of from humble bundles and such, and yet they still sell well on Steam.

Lanark

Just to be sure, I already own Dishonered, but not the DLC. The DLC I want costs 10 bucks, but the Dishonered GOTY edition is cheaper.

So if I want to buy both Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches, it would be cheaper to buy the GOTY edition?

zulux21

Not to be "that guy" but it is a difference of $2.50. The game is still worth buying at $5.00

the difference in this game might be $2.50...
multiply that by 50 games that are only a mere $2.50 more then you would like to spend and you are looking at $100 more spent on games then you really wanted to spend.

I can't speak for others, but for me I set certain prices on games, and unless the game hits that price or lower I just won't buy it in general (unless I see something that changes my mind to spend a little more) Heck there have been some games I set a $20 price point on and have had it available for $20.50 and still won't bite.

Vlad

So, Steamworld Dig.

I have it wishlisted a LONG time ago and I can't remember why anymore. :D

On Steam I read it's a metroidvania, which is good.
But at the same time, looking at its screens, it gives me puzzle-platforming vibes. Like Fez (imho pretentious) or Full Bore (imho boring).

Anyone who played it could solve my doubt?

Thanks!

Stay away. Stay far, far away.

I kept hearing that it was a Metroidvania-type game, and after beating it, I can only conclude that either I've got the definition of Metroidvania wrong or people are using the term wrong.

If you want a good idea of what Steamworld Dig is like, just play Motherload (flash game). Steamworld is pretty much the exact same thing. You dig down, get a bunch of ores, sell them for upgrades, repeat until you've won the game. There are some upgrades you find in caves along the way that let you maneuver better and dig through harder material, and there are some smaller caves scattered around that have some fairly simplistic puzzles, but there aren't nearly enough of them and the puzzles never really get difficult. spent the entire time playing the game expecting that it would start getting interesting "any minute now", and then the credits rolled.

See, when I hear Metroidvania, I expect something with a little more emphasis on platforming and exploring, with a large, sprawling map to explore and unlock, which Steamworld completely lacks. Sure, it looks nice and sounds nice, but if you're looking for an actual compelling gameplay experience, don't bother.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

I kept hearing that it was a Metroidvania-type game, and after beating it, I can only conclude that either I've got the definition of Metroidvania wrong or people are using the term wrong.

If you want a good idea of what Steamworld Dig is like, just play Motherload (flash game). Steamworld is pretty much the exact same thing. You dig down, get a bunch of ores, sell them for upgrades, repeat until you've won the game. There are some upgrades you find in caves along the way that let you maneuver better and dig through harder material, and there are some smaller caves scattered around that have some fairly simplistic puzzles, but there aren't nearly enough of them and the puzzles never really get difficult. spent the entire time playing the game expecting that it would start getting interesting "any minute now", and then the credits rolled.

See, when I hear Metroidvania, I expect something with a little more emphasis on platforming and exploring, with a large, sprawling map to explore and unlock, which Steamworld completely lacks. Sure, it looks nice and sounds nice, but if you're looking for an actual compelling gameplay experience, don't bother.

1. It's compelling because it's fun.
2. People are using "Metroidvania" wrong if they say the game is a Metroidvania.

Copons

You are aware that a US dollar isn't worth the same everywhere, right? Each country has different currencies, each currency has a different value, each GAFfer has a different salary (if any). You know that what's small change to you may not be for someone else, don't you? Saying "the game is cheap for me, so it must be cheap for you too" is a bit silly.

Also, Ikaruga is a dozen years old game, already published for 4 platforms other than PC (Dreamcast, Gamecube, XBLA and even Android).
I personally had it on Gamecube back in the day and I currently own a sealed Ikaruga for DC.
I'd dip again, but I'd like to minimize the expenses this time. :D

Mono

How is Banished? It looks kind of like Black and White without the giant animal, but the gameplay looks pretty different.

Eternia

Thanks to Lain for Pac-Man, wasn't expecting that. Been looking forward to it for a while.

Also would like to thank again Gravelord_Nito for the SpaceChem dlc.

Well, if you want to play an excellent ~20 hour game with notzombies, a B-movie script with awesome lines, and the ability to roundhouse kick and suplex dudes, buy RE4. If you want a relaxing, city building game where you are responsible for the lives of a handful of people, that you can spend countless hours on, buy Banished.
Tough choice. Thanks for the post, though.

How many of those other corporations have user-to-user markets that are abused for money laundering? Please don't reply as though you're a person with experience designing 2FA systems. Valve's 2FA system sucks because it's email only, not because there are account restrictions for the market.
If Valve was taking money laundering seriously, they would've implemented a variety of other measures that plenty of other open user-to-user markets use. I can understand the credit card thing, but fucking users over because their browser-based authentication is absolute garbage is ridiculous.

Copons

Jeez how fucking hard it is to keep track of a conversation in this thread... :/

Ok. Now this is probably the most accurate answer (regarding my confused question) I had!
I'll hold for now, and see if someone will convince me to definitely buy it. :)

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's something that could happen if your Steam account was hacked.

Hacker sells all of your steam inventory to legitimate buyers at a 15% discount from standard price to pad your steam wallet as much as they can.
Hacker empties your steam wallet buying tf2 keys
Hacker sends tf2 keys to another mule account
Mule account trades tf2 keys for games with a legitimate account who thinks he's doing a legitimate trade
Mule account sends games to hacker's actual account (or maybe uses them in an even more complicated trade)
Legitimate purchaser sells tf2 keys for credit.

This is a fairly simple money laundering operation that would be possible on Steam. It's possible because you can sell on the market, you can trade, there's a scrip currency proxy as well as a cash balance, you can gift, and games can be redeemed to an item inventory instead of just added to an account. Other services do not have these features.

Blizzard is probably the only service that is even comparable in scope to Valve in terms of allowing a user-based market.

If Valve was taking money laundering seriously, they would've implemented a variety of other measures that plenty of other open user-to-user markets use. I can understand the credit card thing, but fucking users over because their browser-based authentication is absolute garbage is ridiculous.

It doesn't fuck users over. It limits them from a short period of time from doing a limited range of things on a specific new computer. It's implemented as unobtrusively as possible.

Which features should Valve implement? Other than more robust 2FA (authenticators, SMS, biometric, whatever), I can't think of any marketplace that has notably better options in this regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom