• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
What

If you found Full Bore "boring" (excuse the pun), then maybe SWD isn't for you. Maybe Spelunky isn't for you either, and I don't have the words to describe how I feel about that.

Steamworld Dig is only a "metroidvania" in the sense that you gain new abilities as the game goes on. It's not really like there's a lot to explore, unless you consider going down for 5 hours interesting.

I'm not sure why the game gets all the praise it does -- maybe because even though it's gameplay might be repetitive, it's somehow compelling.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Strongly agree, don't understand the praise for this one. I was excited enough to get it day 1 when it released on Steam and... yeah. Not happy about doing that.

It's one of those games that has me baffled by the reception it gets. It's not bad at all, that could be why. It does control well even though it doesn't need to, the art is very nice even though the environments are bland, it sounds good, no single part of it is terrible. I just don't feel any compelling reason to play the game.

Aru

So, Steamworld Dig.

I have it wishlisted a LONG time ago and I can't remember why anymore. :D

On Steam I read it's a metroidvania, which is good.
But at the same time, looking at its screens, it gives me puzzle-platforming vibes. Like Fez (imho pretentious) or Full Bore (imho boring).

Anyone who played it could solve my doubt?

Thanks!

Yeah, I want that one too but it seems like it has mining mechanics like Terraria and Minecraft and I'm not really into that. Gonna pass for now.

Bought Dishonored GOTY, that's my first purchase in the sales.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
41a.gif

Dear Steam users that voted for Dark Souls instead of Ikaruga,

Just remember that the Sony published PS4 exclusive Bloodborne, the successor to the Souls games, will never come to PC.

Ikaruga sends its regards.

Shaking my head at Ikaruga, praying for a flash dealio at this point. Dishonored has been cheaper at gamefly i think ill skip it, but a nice deal.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Don't look at them as filthy DLC. Think good old add-ons. They are expansions that add both a lot to the game. It's not some pretty skins or some additional units, its a row of whole new possiblities and playstyles.

Brave New World contains all the new features from Gods and Kings though, right? Is Gods and Kings worth it just for some extra civs?

It's not laughable. Stop and think. How does Valve benefit from you not spending money? They don't. Therefor whatever reason you think they have for doing this, it's not to profit. Ergo, if their stated reason is to deter fraud, why would you think the actual reason is not to deter fraud?

Here's the loophole a hacker could exploit if they didn't have this rule:
1) An account does not have SteamGuard, and thus cannot use the market.
2) A hacker hacks the account and adds SteamGuard
3) The hacker abuses the market.

Alternatively:
1) A hacker phishes your SteamGuard code
2) A hacker adds their computer to your account
3) The hacker abuses the market

Why support can't lift it:
1) Hacker hacks you
2) Hacker asks support to let them in
3) The hacker abuses the market

Both of these scenarios are stopped by the policy that is preventing you from using the market. So clearly the stated reason that this is designed to reduce fraud makes sense.

What you actually mean is that security measures are frustrating when they inconvenience you. Yes, they are. Tough shit. But it's not as though the Steam Market is a do or die situation. You'll be okay. You don't need to use the market this very instant. The items will still be there, and you still have options to get the badge without using the market, including asking anyone here for help. I am sure someone would be happy to buy you one of every card in exchange for 1 TF2 key once you're able to trade again.

The problem is that Valve have no idea how to design and implement two-factor authentication (like other big corporations do, it's not scary: Microsoft, Google, et al all do this) such that they needn't go down this ridiculous road.

I seriously, legitimately, literally, do not believe how bad the community voting has been this sale. EVERY single choice has been wrong!

Its always the same. "Oh this game is famous and i heard alot about it. These games... never heard of it.Im going to vote for the game i already have because i never heard of the rest."

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Haha I just noticed the accounting software in the flash sale. You have room for that but not the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Editions? WHY!?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
How is RE4 HD? I mean is it actually a good HD remake or did they just slap together few improved textures and called it HD?

It's the definitive version. Great port and Capcpom did the community right by it.

First time in 60fps, most of the effects that are present in the GC version are also present here, like specular highlights, and there's currently a modder (crisdecuba) making a FANTASTIC texture mod for the game that really looks incredible.

Another modder is helping him (Albert) who lives in Spain and is finding the ACTUAL original, source buildings that Capcom used when designing RE4.

So you get stuff like this, which is a texture created from the actual original windows that Capcom used for textures, and the following one, which was a picture of the actual hole in the wall in Spain that Capcom used in game to texture.

Mono

Buy the "Gods and Kings" and "Brave New World" expansions. Anything else is optional, though you might want to pick up a couple DLC civilizations if they interest you. Maps are not really worth it.

Worth it. Beyond Earth is going to play a bit differently.

Just buying Brave New World gives you everything in Gods and Kings except for the extra nations and scenarios.

Fjord

Note that if you get Brave New World, then you get all the mechanics added in Gods & Kings, just not the extra nations you can play as.

Though the new nations added in both expansions are really fun.

Oh really? Good catch. Fall of Rome (in G&K) is a fantastic scenario and the achievement for beating it deity considered the most prestigious of them all. The social trees are reworked so that if you're a Roman faction you actually have to take penalties instead of new techs and just hang on the best you can. As a barbarian you get to go nuts on them!

You might be better off with smaller packs. If I had to recommend one $1 DLC pack I'd say Polynesia. You get a pretty neat civilization with a unique improvement, Moai, Easter Island statues that must be built on the shore and give +1 culture and another +1 culture for each adjacent statue. Awesome Maori warriors that upgrade really nicely. Plus ocean travel, from the start of the game, with increased vision. The scenario is great too. You pick one of many Polynesian tribes, each with their own social tech trees and abilities. Everyone strives for cultural victory and science is artificially limited... until European technology is introduced. A gunpowder bloodbath ensues as you try to use this new technology on the other tribes before they use it on you!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/99610/

Scenarios are not like they used to be. You don't jump in a standard game set up to look like some historical event, lines of tanks looking at each other in WWII. Now they tweak game mechanics which creates very enjoyable emergent gameplay.

scurker

I want to pick up Goat Simulator - so I know that means that it probably won't win the vote. I'm also torn on whether or not I should pick up Dark Souls. It's only $5, but I'm not sure I would actually ever play it.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The problem is that Valve have no idea how to design and implement two-factor authentication (like other big corporations do, it's not scary: Microsoft, Google, et al all do this) such that they needn't go down this ridiculous road.

How many of those other corporations have user-to-user markets that are abused for money laundering? Please don't reply as though you're a person with experience designing 2FA systems. Valve's 2FA system sucks because it's email only, not because there are account restrictions for the market.

Copons

I was really underwhelmed by it. I don't know how far into the game I got, seemed like a long way, but there was no challenge to it whatsoever. There wasn't platforming or real exploration, there wasn't any puzzle solving, and the combat was as basic as it gets. People rave about it but I played long enough to get a whole bunch of upgrades and it seemed mechanically to be slightly deeper than cookie clicker.

You start out with a basic pickaxe and start digging in the mines. You then find different upgrades that allow you to progress further down, while also finding different minerals that you can sell back in town to upgrade your gear/buy useful consumables. I don't find it pretentious or boring at all. The mechanics and animations are great, and it's very relaxing to dig and dig.

Thank you both!
My point was actually that I found myself to get bored by puzzle platformers, so I needed to know if this was one of them too.

But: no puzzle solving + relaxing pace = I'll buy it! :)

What

If you found Full Bore "boring" (excuse the pun), then maybe SWD isn't for you. Maybe Spelunky isn't for you either, and I don't have the words to describe how I feel about that.

Uh... how do you compare Full Bore with Spelunky?
Ok, they're both 2D and set in an underground setting, but... that's it, really!

I got bored by Full Bore (ffs, that name, really :D ) because I didn't feel engaged by its puzzles. I don't mean they were too easy for me, but just that I didn't have fun solving them. (ie. I had loads of fun playing The Swapper)

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
41a.gif

Just remember that the Sony published PS4 exclusive Bloodborne, the successor to the Souls games, will never come to PC.

I voted for the other group because I fancied buying Blockland. I went to the game's store page to add it to my cart and... I already own it.

I'm so sorry Ikaruga dudes.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Not to be "that guy" but it is a difference of $2.50. The game is still worth buying at $5.00
You are aware that a US dollar isn't worth the same everywhere, right? Each country has different currencies, each currency has a different value, each GAFfer has a different salary (if any). You know that what's small change to you may not be for someone else, don't you? Saying "the game is cheap for me, so it must be cheap for you too" is a bit silly.

I flipped a coin between Child of Light and The Banner Saga.

After an eternity in the air and forever in my palm, it's time to install The Banner Saga!

Let's deux dis.
That coin was loaded. I'd flip it again.

Sera O

Banned
Well I put in my vote for the rogue-like crafting category, which means it will lose. I'm sorry.

Green™. Not a colour, but a lifestyle.

_hekk05

Banned
I voted for the other group because I fancied buying Blockland. I went to the game's store page to add it to my cart and... I already own it.

I'm so sorry Ikaruga dudes.

Boo this man .gif

Gonna have to get a PS4 soon. Also ice cold bro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom