• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT3| Sale over, new thread tonight/tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majukun

OwiWBHw.png
really an incredible game..anyone who doesn't already have it please check it out

Jawmuncher

Chaos Legion has a PC version already so that should be easier to work with I think.

Say What!
I only recall playing a bit of that game on PS2. All I remember is that it was hard and that on the first stage if you kept going back to the first area you could get like 3 or 4 health items.

Prodigal

Banned
Sorry, Spelunky is in a class of its own. A few that come close (with very short descriptions to give you a basic idea and to not make myself look foolish if you already know about) include:

Rogue Legacy: Generally more forgiving, more combat (leans more in the Castlevania direction for moment to moment gameplay, but with better control over your character)

Volgarr: Not randomly generated but a very punishing and rewarding platformer. More of a love letter to Genesis era gaming, worth playing.

FTL: Not a platformer at all, but it has the same sort of "Oh, damn, things just went real real rotten and now I'm dead" feeling that Spelunky has. Also randomly generated with permadeath.

Binding of Isaac: Also not a platformer. A Smash TV take on roguelikes with a lot of powerups and fun item combinations.

I kinda figured as much. I liked Rogue Legacy and I need to play more Isaac. Still have yet to try the other 2 though. Thanks.

Turfster

They weren't. Notice that Resident Evil 5 isn't on sale either.

Yeah, but that's just CAPCPOM being themselves, since 6 and Rev are discounted more than 4 =p
Still, it's possible. Shame on the people that were wondering about buying the non-discounted GFWL one then, tho.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Say What!
I only recall playing a bit of that game on PS2. All I remember is that it was hard and that on the first stage if you kept going back to the first area you could get like 3 or 4 health items.

Surprisingly the game runs pretty fine but IIRC it might be missing a few effects in a few parts but looks better and runs better than the PS2 version. The main issue comes that the game has the SD resolution and the 360 controller isnt supported so you have to mess around to get the controller working properly. I think you can push the game to make widescreen format with a tool but I didnt bother to try.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
was having a shave and taking a shower, I return to Shovel Knight winnings? When im not even playing Marvel anymore? o_O

giphy.gif

ty nbnt, I shall shovel my way into it tomorow because now im off to work >_>

Tizoc

'cause why not

There is humor and irony in Rhaknar winning a giveaway.
Was working on something At work so I missed this one too :V
Kudos for the giveaway though mate.

We should bug Capcom to put Chaos Legion on steam and upgrade the game to use 360 controllers.
*crickets*
Bye...

Shit man I had that game on disc ages go. Got it because it was a Capcpom game. Wouldn't mind it being on Steam but is it another PS2 port like game?

OK so we lost the community vote, but I've been the recipient of some awesome generosity from both Speevy and DrEvil who shared his win with me. I woke up sad to see ikaruga still at 5 but elated to find a gift copy sitting in my email. So to thank Speevy and DrEvil I will create a giveaway as soon as I finish my breakfast.

Sorry, Spelunky is in a class of its own. A few that come close (with very short descriptions to give you a basic idea and to not make myself look foolish if you already know about) include:

Rogue Legacy: Generally more forgiving, more combat (leans more in the Castlevania direction for moment to moment gameplay, but with better control over your character)

Volgarr: Not randomly generated but a very punishing and rewarding platformer. More of a love letter to Genesis era gaming, worth playing.

FTL: Not a platformer at all, but it has the same sort of "Oh, damn, things just went real real rotten and now I'm dead" feeling that Spelunky has. Also randomly generated with permadeath.

Binding of Isaac: Also not a platformer. A Smash TV take on roguelikes with a lot of powerups and fun item combinations.

edit: Also, the game that superficially looks most like Spelunky but plays very differently, La Mulana. There are some surface similarities but it is a puzzle/exploration game first and foremost. It's a hell of a game and it wants you to feel much pain, so if you are just looking for a hard experience that features a guy with a whip that goes to some temples, pick this one up.

Super House of Dead Ninjas and Risk of Rain are also worth checking out. Nothing touches Spelunks though.

Jeremy

Can't decide on RE4HD... 40% isn't very big... but it is RE4 and that guy with the HD texture mod makes me very intrigued.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Shit man I had that game on disc ages go. Got it because it was a Capcpom game. Wouldn't mind it being on Steam but is it another PS2 port like game?

Runs better than DMC3 to say the least but as a port you know it lacks some graphic options but probably we can force things with a widescreen mod and GeDoSaTo tweaks. I could play my copy just fine on every computer the only issue is having to set the 360 controller as a generic controller to work on the game.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Super House of Dead Ninjas and Risk of Rain are also worth checking out. Nothing touches Spelunks though.

I thought of mentioning Super House of Dead Ninjas after I made the post. It was (incorrectly) listed in the "Procedural Death Labyrinth" Steam Tag and I thought about adding it in, but it's already on the last page. Very fun game. Risk of Rain is good too, but I feel like it's just a bit of a step down from those others. If I mentioned that I'd also feel compelled to mention A Wizard's Lizard, Our Darker Purpose, Steam Marines, Rogue Shooter, and a half dozen or so other games that I'd say are really good and worth playing, but not at the top of the class.

Can't decide on RE4HD... 40% isn't very big... but it is RE4 and that guy with the HD texture mod makes me very intrigued.

The unfinished HD texture mod project is the reason I'm not buying RE4 yet. By the time the project's completed, RE4'll probably be cheaper then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom