• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam - The Give & Get Sale (Nov 24-29 2010) - Make a Wishlist, might win 5 games!

stuminus3

Mount & Blade Warband CD key issue has been fixed.

EDIT: Update was just released for Euphoria, too. It was 1.3MB, but the patch notes are fairly substantial!

The major changes include:
Updated the gameplay to be faster-paced and more interesting, with more strategic balance.
Updated the levels to improve the overall experience.
Updated the game's AI to think more carefully about where it sends laser mines and flowers.
Fixed laser mine crash.
Fixed custom level directory crash.
Fixed enemy AI sending flowers and mines by breaking the travelling rules.
Fixed some non-Steam owners being unable to achieve achievements.
Fixed defense trees to correctly use spawn time values.
More sound effects comply with volume levels now.
Fixed entities being attacked by inactive entities.
Fixed UI falsely reporting flowers/mines being sent when they weren't.
Fixed console stealing input.
Changed colour of directories in custom level menu.
Finally added a caret in the console and other text entry situations.
Added a different camera zoom style (available in options menu).
Flowers, mines, seedlings go red when they are harmed.
Added Asteroid.GetTreeByIndex.
Added some new tweakable variables
enhanced seedlings, tree thickness, etc.

Jzero

I Got:
The Orange Box
Dirt 2
L4D2
and some other free HL2 games
I'm not gonna go on steam near the holidays though, im gonna want to buy everything.

itxaka

Defeatist
third time in the last 4 days. Fuck this shit seriously. My backlog is freaking huge. I have around 180 games and I have only beat around 10. This shit has to stop FFS, I need time to play.

Fucking sales.

snack

itxaka said:
third time in the last 4 days. Fuck this shit seriously. My backlog is freaking huge. I have around 180 games and I have only beat around 10. This shit has to stop FFS, I need time to play.

Fucking sales.
That is quite the backlog. :lol

So how do I get Dirt 2 to detect my wheel (momo racing) ?
Also, I must say this game has TERRIBLE menus. I had to wait 5mns hearing this dumbass agent talking before I could even change the fucking resolution. Fuck this dumb shit seriously, it's DJ Diabolika all over again.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Looking at this thread has reminded done thing, we really are the Steam Addicts Anonymous.

The damage for this week:
Alpha Protocol, £5
The Indie Story Pack, £3.99
Kane & Lynch 2, £3.75
Dawn Of War 2: Chaos Rising, £3.50 (Part of a pack sale)
Blur, £9.99
Nyxquest, £1 (Part of a pack sale)
Kings Bounty: Crossworlds, £3.75
Splinter Cell: Conviction, £7.50 (Hosted a pack sale)
Indie Air Pack, £3.49

So that's 9 Items, 17 games overall for £41.97. To put that into perspective, people paid that just for COD:BO on the consoles her in the UK. To think, this was just a warm up for the Steam holiday sale proper. My wallet is ready.

Rufus

Yeah, I still have a bunch of games to play that I bought during last year's sales, it's kinda sad... But whatever, I didn't spend an obscene amount on money for them at least. And I will play them all, by god!

LordPhoque said:
Also, I must say this game has TERRIBLE menus. I had to wait 5mns hearing this dumbass agent talking before I could even change the fucking resolution.
This, so much. I like the game, but that is so annoying...

By the end I winded up with

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck's Revenge
Just Cause 2
NyxQuest
Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City
Dawn of War II - Chaos Rising
Indie Story Pack
Puzzle Quest 2

All for around $33. The group packs and the indie packs were absolute steals. I was willing to buy Reccetear if it came down to $10 on its own let alone $5 with 4 other games :lol

With that said, I'll probably go back to playing Left 4 Dead 2

stuminus3 said:
Mount & Blade Warband CD key issue has been fixed.

EDIT: Update was just released for Euphoria, too. It was 1.3MB, but the patch notes are fairly substantial!

Yeah, unfortunately a missing bullet point on that changelist is "We will wipe your savegame" :|

This is my first Holiday season with Steam and a gaming rig. The damage done this time:

Tropico 3
Borderlands
Story Indie Pack (Recceatear is pretty rocking for such a cheap price)
Torchlight
Lara Croft
Alpha Protocol
Mount and Blade Warband
Just Cause 2
Defense Grid: The Awakening
and to top it off...
Kotor on the last day.

I had such a huge backlog before the sales. Now it's monstrous. I haven't even finished my first play through of Fallout: NV yet because I've been distracted by all the games at once! I swear I would always play one game at a time now I find myself juggling like 6 games at once.

I spent a little under $70 on all of that! Love it!

Edit: Almost forgot Defense Grid!

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first time I've gone crazy on a Steam holiday sale, I remember only grabbing the Orange Box when it was discounted during one a few years back.

NyxQuest ($1.50)
Indie Clever Pack ($4.99)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light ($7.49)
Just Cause 2 ($7.50)
Mount and Blade: Warband ($5.83)
Monkey Island 2 Special Edition: LeChuck’s Revenge ($2.50)
Trine ($2.50)
Metro 2033 ($10.00)

$42.31 for 12 games... <3 PC gaming, <3 DD.

EDIT: Got my Trine group filled, thanks GAF. =]

Risette

A Good Citizen
Are there any chances of Recettear going back on sale soon? I wasn't really aware of this game and I ended up just using the little money I had left on some XBLA games that I blind bought and turned out to be junk.

My friends who bought the pack were talking about how cool this game is (after the sale was over..) and man I wish I bought this. It looks like something I'd really enjoy. I don't really have $20 now and it'd be hard for me to buy it when it was on sale for $5 (or $1 depending on how you look at it..)

Alternatively, anyone feeling generous and have a Recettear pack that they haven't used yet? :(

Volcynika

Aigis said:
Are there any chances of Recettear going back on sale soon? I wasn't really aware of this game and I ended up just using the little money I had left on some XBLA games that I blind bought and turned out to be junk.

My friends who bought the pack were talking about how cool this game is (after the sale was over..) and man I wish I bought this. It looks like something I'd really enjoy. I don't really have $20 now and it'd be hard for me to buy it when it was on sale for $5 (or $1 depending on how you look at it..)

Alternatively, anyone feeling generous and have a Recettear pack that they haven't used yet? :(

CAG said that the devs mentioned the next scheduled discount will be the holiday sale, I think.

Aigis said:

I feel kind of bad for those who missed it, but the damned packs were in top place through the entire span of sales!

We also an entire dedicated thread with large participation. I kind of feel bad, but I'm wondering how so many people missed it...

It'll probably be on sale again and the devs behind the game would be stupid to not participate in another one after the burst of support and attention this sale got them. It's pretty customary to see a double dip when it comes to indie game sales. Just don't expect another indie pack. Maybe $7.50 for the game on it's own probably.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I ended up getting:

Monkey Island 2: Special Edition
Indie Pulse Pack
Freedom Force (thanks to giant_frying_pan gifting :D)
Indie Clever Pack
Indie Story Pack
Sam and Max: The Devils Playhouse

These sales have actually changed the way that I think about my backlog. With console games I used to try to always keep my backlog down and quickly trade in stuff that I wasn't using any more. There was a bit of a feeling of guilt watching the trade in prices tick down on games that were just sitting in my cabinet.

But with a gaming PC and Steam sales I now just considers about 60-70 bucks a year an investment in my PC digital library. I don't pay more than about $15 for any one game so that 60 translates to about 10 or 12 games which I can pull up anytime from Steam when I'm in the mood. It's true that for some games that I don't play I might have been able to buy them cheaper, but with $15 starting prices and the fact that you can't trade them in it seems like less of a deal with Steam games. It more like a "Steam subscription" like Zune or Rhapsody for music where I get a whole convenient catalog at my disposal for a fee of X bucks as opposed to individual game purchases.

I also feel a lot less guilty not sinking lots of time into games. Pickup something for $5 playing it until it gets boring in 8 hours or so and then kicking it to the curb is way easier with a big Steam catalog to browse through. I end up getting way more gaming experiences in one year when I play this way.

Sorry, kinda random long post there. This last sale just got me thinking about how Steam changed my gaming habits over the last year or so.

SlickVic

Just got Guardian of Light in this sale. Not a whole lot of PC games I'm looking for at the moment and I've already got a pretty decent PC gaming backlog going now. Nevertheless, I'm sure there'll be at least a few more items that tempt me in the Steam holiday sale.

alf717

I'm looking forward to the Christmas sale as well. I think this sale was really hit and miss though. On Some days I want to buy everything while others I was just like WTF.

I ended up with Lara Croft GoL and Just Cause 2 along with AoE III (GFWM) I'd say as of now November has been my biggest gaming purchase month this year.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Since everybody is listing their haul:

And Yet It Moves
Cogs
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time
Droplitz
Eufloria
Gish
Iron Grip: Warlord
Jolly Rover
Just Cause 2 (thanks Servio!)
King's Bounty Platinum
Machinarium
Metro 2033
NyxQuest (thanks coopolon!)
Puzzle Agent
Puzzle Dimension
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale
Tidalis
Tropico 3 Deluxe
VVVVVV
World of Goo

One more indie pack and I would have gone over the 200 mark on my backlog!

itxaka said:

Fucking sales.
Just stop calling it a 'backlog'. It is a 'Library'.

TheFightingFish said:
These sales have actually changed the way that I think about my backlog. With console games I used to try to always keep my backlog down and quickly trade in stuff that I wasn't using any more. There was a bit of a feeling of guilt watching the trade in prices tick down on games that were just sitting in my cabinet.

But with a gaming PC and Steam sales I now just considers about 60-70 bucks a year an investment in my PC digital library. I don't pay more than about $15 for any one game so that 60 translates to about 10 or 12 games which I can pull up anytime from Steam when I'm in the mood. It's true that for some games that I don't play I might have been able to buy them cheaper, but with $15 starting prices and the fact that you can't trade them in it seems like less of a deal with Steam games. It more like a "Steam subscription" like Zune or Rhapsody for music where I get a whole convenient catalog at my disposal for a fee of X bucks as opposed to individual game purchases.

I also feel a lot less guilty not sinking lots of time into games. Pickup something for $5 playing it until it gets boring in 8 hours or so and then kicking it to the curb is way easier with a big Steam catalog to browse through. I end up getting way more gaming experiences in one year when I play this way.

Sorry, kinda random long post there. This last sale just got me thinking about how Steam changed my gaming habits over the last year or so.

Yes! This.

TheFightingFish said:

I actually love this new development and I never thought about this specific benefit of DLC/DD(No used copies means prices can be lower). I'm still wary of anyone besides steam who enters the fray and I'm especially wary of anyone from the console industry and their efforts in the DLC department.

Valve knew that they had a lean mean selling machine when they could release games at their low prices without worrying about used games or pirating(somewhat) and they've passed off the savings to us consumers in an awesome way.

This is how you build trust and confidence with your fanbase/community/consumers.

:)

Nert

Machinarium, Indie Story Pack, Indie Clever Pack, Indie Pulse Pack, and Indie Air Pack for me. Most of the higher budget games that I picked up this Black Friday were from Amazon.

McNum

I just got the Indie Air pack. There wasn't really anything else on sale that I wanted, but didn't already have. I'd have jumped at the Reccetear sale, if I hadn't already bought it when it was new and pretty much left it in the backlog. I should get around to playing that soon.

Shaneus

McNum said:
I just got the Indie Air pack. There wasn't really anything else on sale that I wanted, but didn't already have. I'd have jumped at the Reccetear sale, if I hadn't already bought it when it was new and pretty much left it in the backlog. I should get around to playing that soon.
Have you played Game Dev Story on iPhone? It's pretty much just like that.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
kotor for 2.50

never played it, its suppose to be very good, but its such an old looking game

having a hard time deciding on this one.

1-D_FTW

I hate Titalus so much I finally figured out how to only show installed games so I don't have to look at the title again.:lol

Blizzard

Banned
-COOLIO- said:
alright i bought kotor but i also bought dirt 2 to make up for kotors relatively poor graphics
:D
Unless you hate Star Wars, truly can't stand the graphics, or run into technical problems, Kotor 1 is definitely worth it in my opinion. I still remember several of the characters or parts of their stories, which hopefully says something considering I played it years ago and each game has like 10-11 main party characters with their own stories.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Blizzard said:
Unless you hate Star Wars, truly can't stand the graphics, or run into technical problems, Kotor 1 is definitely worth it in my opinion. I still remember several of the characters or parts of their stories, which hopefully says something considering I played it years ago and each game has like 10-11 main party characters with their own stories.
ya i just looked at some trailers for it and the voice acting at least holds up very well presentation wise. the combat looks a little slow for my tastes but ill barrel through anything to witness a good videogame story, those are rare and i like to see how it's done.

man, altogether it turns out i spent a measly $35 for 10 games. this is my first steam sale and i finally get what everyone was talking about goddamn.

People I know have actually said the large packs Valve has ever done and they'd rather pirate the game than try to get a group going. Why? Because it's "too difficult and they can't be bothered" :/

Wallach

-COOLIO- said:
ya i just looked at some trailers for it and the voice acting at least holds up very well presentation wise. the combat looks a little slow for my tastes but ill barrel through anything to witness a good videogame story, those are rare and i like to see how it's done.

man, altogether it turns out i spent a measly $35 for 10 games. this is my first steam sale and i finally get what everyone was talking about goddamn.

Steam sales really are the best.

Have you managed to avoid KotOR spoilers for this long? If so I think the story will be quite awesome for you.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Wallach said:
Steam sales really are the best.

Have you managed to avoid KotOR spoilers for this long? If so I think the story will be quite awesome for you.
i only know that the term 'meatbag' is used often by the robot

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
-COOLIO- said:
i only know that the term 'meatbag' is used often by the robot
Dang. Let me know what rock you've been hiding under, because I've been getting spoiled quite a bit recently.

alanias

Total damage for me was quite tame:

- Deus Ex GOTY Edition $2.50
- Indie Story Pack $5.00 (Best deal EVER)
- Just Cause 2 $7.50

Total Damage of 15 bucks for 7 games. I love Steam... now I just need to survive the Holiday Sale.

McNum

Shaneus said:
Have you played Game Dev Story on iPhone? It's pretty much just like that.
Sorry, playing for Team Android on the smart-phone front. I've seen the thread here, it looks fun, but I'm not buying an iPhone for that alone.

deleted

Ok, I'm just just posting my list so I can get it together for myself. I made quite a few impulse buys.

Warhammer 40k: Chaos Rising
Mount & Blade: Warband
Just Cause 2
Aliens vs. Predator
Air Pack
Alpha Protocol
NyxQuest
Liberty City Storys
Defense Grid
Osmos
Freedom Force

And L4D2, Monkey Island 2 and Beat Hazard as Gifts. About 50 EUR for 19 Games. Not bad at all.
A huge thanks to all GAFers who made the 6/8/10 packs happen, everything went so well and without a problem at all. Without you I wouldn't have gotten nearly as many games as I did, as cheap as I did.

I'm now at a point where I have at least one game from every genre in my library. On the one hand its good to say: "I feel like playing a strategy game today" and just play it, but on the other hand I often don't know what I should play next so I just play TF2 :lol

Wallach

Another shout out to BLAUcopter for being a bad ass. And handsome, from what I hear.

Surprised download speeds are so good given the sale's still going.

Top Bottom