• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 | Deal quality keeps on slippin', slippin', slippin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
why would others complain to you?

DOTA games are highly competitive with a low player count. So a single team members deficiencies in aptitude are magnified both in game and in the perception of other players. Other competitive games such as CS/NS, at least in pub matches, have higher player counts so a single deficient performance can be absorbed in the aggregate and is usually not so pronounced in the conscious of other players. This is compounded by the fact that DOTA style matches run past 30 minutes, unlike most multiplayer matches.

Stage On

*looks through the hidden deal list sees trailer for deponia, see's it's already got a sequal*

Gosh darn too many games, not enough time or money *sobs*

Buy Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

Best driving game this generation (or at least in the same ball park as the likes of PGR4, Driver: San Francisco or Burnout Paradise).

Thinking about picking up the Mount and Blade franchise. I've never played it before, but a.) is it worth it and b.) are any particular games in the series really stand out ones? Or are they all good?

Exuro

So the Witcher 2 is a prequel... so I don't need to know the story of the original to understand the story right?
It's not a prequel but the first title is pretty self contained so you wouldn't really be missing out on anything that wont be explained in 2.

BadAss2961

Witcher 2 is completely fucked for me. Here's my post from the OT.
I've got a weird problem with this game. It completely shuts down my PC when I attempt to run the story. It can happen anytime between Geralt running through the woods shirtless and when he's shown in the prison. The whole PC just shuts down... It's especially odd because both the tutorial and arena mode run fine without this problem.

My other games run fine. I also google'd this problem and it's clearly a known issue with Witcher 2 (both AMD and Nvidia rigs), but no fix. For the PC to shut down like this, i'm guessing there must be some sort of issue with this game just overloading the GPU or power supply of certain setups.

If I don't get any ideas, i'll just forget about it and check again when I upgrade my hardware sometime down the road.

Relax.MX

It's not a prequel but the first title is pretty self contained so you wouldn't really be missing out on anything that wont be explained in 2.

Dont listen to this guys just play the first Witcher...it's just better.. so you're going to miss just one the best RPG ever

Exuro

Dont listen to this guys just play the first Witcher...it's just better.. so you're going to miss just one the best RPG ever
Don't put words in my mouth. I find the witcher to be vastly superior to the sequel but I'm not going to tell someone to play it of they don't want to.

CryptiK

So mad :( I missed out on the Assassins Creed Franchise pack due to work and when I got home to buy it Steam Store went down and I fell asleep :(

Stage On

Exercising self control with these sales is hard. The urge to splurge on stuff just because they are on sale even if you don't know when or even if you'll play it is pretty strong.

I miss past years when they had indie bundles with 5 games for $5 bucks and more choices per day.

The only improvement about this sale is it's easy to sleep and work with out missing anything since the timer on stuff is longer.

Xamdou

^^ Alright just bought the Witcher 2, been waiting for it to reach less than $10 so I snagged it!

I have the original Witcher but never finished it, that's why I was asking about it.

Koroviev

Exercising self control with these sales is hard. The urge to splurge on stuff just because they are on sale even if you don't know when or even if you'll play it is pretty strong.

I miss past years when they had indie bundles with 5 games for $5 bucks and more choices per day.

The only improvement about this sale is it's easy to sleep and work with out missing anything since the timer on stuff is longer.

Remember: the best deal is simply not spending any money at all. (No, I don't mean pirating it.)

If the game wasn't on your radar before the sale started, then it's probably best to ignore it for the time being. If other people hype it up and get you interested, then keep it in mind for the next sale or a daily deal. Even if you're suddenly interested, it probably won't take priority over the games you already had in mind in terms of when you actually get around to playing it (haha).

Exuro

^^ Alright just bought the Witcher 2, been waiting for it to reach less than $10 so I snagged it!

I have the original Witcher but never finished it, that's why I was asking about it.
If you've played through a chunk of it and know geralts backstory and friends you wont be missing anything transitioning to 2. The beginning of tw2 will cartch you up on what was important in the first. Youll miss out on a pretty amazing ending though imo :p

Caerith

Okay, so apart from the fact that I'd just be adding more stuff to my backlog, is there any reason not to buy Mark of the Ninja now and through Steam? It's not cheaper anywhere else or isn't on the verge of being cheaper anywhere else that anybody knows of, right? Like, some GMG deal or "oh actually Tony said it was going to be added to the Editor's Choice list so you can use your $5 credit on 1/1" or something.

didamangi

Okay, so apart from the fact that I'd just be adding more stuff to my backlog, is there any reason not to buy Mark of the Ninja now and through Steam? It's not cheaper anywhere else or isn't on the verge of being cheaper anywhere else that anybody knows of, right? Like, some GMG deal or "oh actually Tony said it was going to be added to the Editor's Choice list so you can use your $5 credit on 1/1" or something.

It's a great stealth game, the pc version is not sold anywhere else, it's published by microsoft so it might not be available in a bundle (maybe).

Stage On

Remember: the best deal is simply not spending any money at all. (No, I don't mean pirating it.)

If the game wasn't on your radar before the sale started, then it's probably best to ignore it for the time being. If other people hype it up and get you interested, then keep it in mind for the next sale or a daily deal. Even if you're suddenly interested, it probably won't take priority over the games you already had in mind.

What if it's stuff you've looked at in the past but passed on due to limited money at the time or just low bandwidth?

It's scary how quickly it can add up.

zkylon

zkylewd
ibuNG6j7ZQqWA7.png
Well, I'm weak, and it's a pretty shitty sale so I'll settle with double dipping on TW2 as my guilty pleasure...

Xamdou

If you've played through a chunk of it and know geralts backstory and friends you wont be missing anything transitioning to 2. The beginning of tw2 will cartch you up on what was important in the first. Youll miss out on a pretty amazing ending though imo :p

Gotcha, how long does each game take to finish?

Koroviev

What if it's stuff you've looked at in the past but passed on due to limited money at the time or just low bandwidth?

It's scary how quickly it can add up.

I would classify those as "games you had in mind" :p

I was referring to games that you either aren't familiar with or had zero interest in prior to visiting this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom