• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought

Borderlands 2
Dark Souls
Hotline Miami
Sleeping Dogs
XCOM

Gifted

Dark Souls
Sleeping Dogs

Not a whole lot of games, but a very high quality haul.

The only games I missed out on that I really wanted was Alan Wake, Risen, Crysis 2, Tomb Raider Anniversary, and the Slingshot DLC for XCOM

dani_dc

I'm really struggling to get into The Witcher 1. Too much running around for my liking.

It's definitively not a game for everyone, the gameplay gets pretty repetitive and the level design is basically running back and foward, but the writting is pretty good and I found myself immerse in the world that the game created, still took me a bit to get into the game.
Oddly enough it's a game I found myself appreciating more after I had finishesd it than I did while playing it.
I think $2.5/2 euros is worth the risk to find out if the game is someone cup of tea or not.

M.D

So anything else I should buy? Not looking to spend big money, something in the $1-10 range? I dunno..

I bought Sleeping Dogs with most DLC yesterday, now I kinda regret getting all that DLC for $4, I didn't know most (or all?) of it was trash

Wok

the writting is pretty good and I found myself immerse in the world that the game created, still took me a bit to get into the game.
Oddly enough it's a game I found myself appreciating more after I had finishesd it than I did while playing it.

The dialogues are awful and I cannot immerse myself into the story because of this.

Directing a dialogue scene is important to avoid fake and awkward dialogues.

1) A master shot - this is the whole scene from beginning to end in a wide 2 shot.
2) Mid-shot of Actor A - again the whole scene this time focussing on Actor A (this may well be an over the shoulder of Actor B)
3) Mid-shot of Actor B - (as above)

Generally in a simple two person dialogue scene POV shots would look quite odd - unless you're doing a 'Peepshow' kinda styled thing.

1) wide shot longshot of the entire scene
2) 2 shot of the two actors right the way through
3) single on actor 1
4) single on actor 2

Another note: Get the actors moving. Talking heads standing still = boredom.

Bear in mind that we were giving you were the bare neccessities to get coverage for a scene. You may want to spice it up a bit with camera moves etc.

also worthy of noting here is the 180 degree rule. when shooting the medium or closeup of both individual actors the general rule is to keep the camera with the same 180 degrees, ie, over the left on first mans shpoulder and over the right of the second mans shoulder. Going over the 180 degree cause diorientation for the viewer, which you can use to your advantage at other times, they say to break the rules, you have to know the rules.

I am 3 hours into Darksider's II and maybe my opinion will change later on, but this is a really good game.

I could care less about the story elements anyway.

The exploration, combat, visuals, mmo like elements, characters, audio, sound, etc etc so far have all been really fun to play with.

Why did it get all the flak around here?

I am 3 hours into Darksider's II and maybe my opinion will change later on, but this is a really good game.

The exploration, combat, visuals, mmo like elements, characters, audio, sound, etc etc so far have all been really fun to play with.

No clue. I thought it was a great game.

I think a lot of people were disappointed that it didn't pick up where DS1 left off.

didamangi

First Steam sale that I bought more games from other digital stores.

Bought from steam:
The Walking Dead
Half Minute Hero
Satazius
Hero Academy

From the rest:
HIB 7
Dishonored
Borderlands 2
Fallen Enchantress
$7.8 from Gamersgate :p
Scribblenauts Unlimited
XCOM
Dirt Showdown (trade)

Gifts from generous GAFers:
Spec Ops The Line
Hotline Miami
They Bleed Pixels
The Witcher

Can't believe I actually got my top 3 wishlist on this holiday sale, crazy prices from Amazon, GMG and GG.

Lokbob

How long is Gamersgate doing their 'Deal of the Day' thing?
Not sure if i should spent my last money on some encore deals.

x3r0123

well over the past 2 weeks I got

Binary Domain (steam)
Dark souls (amazon)
l4d 2 (steam)
civ 5 (steam)
trine (steam)
trine 2 (steam)
ys origin (steam)
ys felghana (steam)

metro 2033 (free)

i'm quite happy since I wasnt planning on spending much

Tizoc

So what's so good about Darkness 2? I don't like FPS view very much in games, but does it have good combat?

Does anyone else constantly get errors when trying to upload screenshots or is it just me? I have to try multiple times to finally get them through.

Wok

Does anyone else constantly get errors when trying to upload screenshots or is it just me? I have to try multiple times to finally get them through.

Maybe it is not related, but Steamscore tells me the following:
Your profile is being updated, please wait
Error: Steam is offline or under heavy load, we cannot load your profile now. Please try again in a few minutes.

Maybe it is not related, Steamscore tells me the following:

I've actually been having this problem since I've started uploading a lot of screenshots during a Mass Effect playthrough. I usually don't take a ton of screenshots with Steam so I don't know if this has always been the case or if its just me or if the increased traffic from the sale is causing it.

Been getting them for a month or so. Its annoying.

Ok, thanks. Nice to know it's probably not on my end.

dani_dc

The dialogues are awful and I cannot immerse myself into the story because of this.

Directing a dialogue scene is important to avoid fake and awkward dialogues.
The dialgoues are awful or the dialogue scenes are awful?
Because those two are not necessarly the same thing.

I personally can overlook the way the scene was "shoot" much easier in a game than in a movie.
The fact that the dialogue is something you interact with and how that particular interaction plays out is, in my view, more important than how the scene is directed, which are indeed pretty boring to look at in this game (and the majority of interactive dialogue in games for that manner).
The choices you make during the dialogues and the ramification of those choices later in the story is rather satisfying, and it's not the fact that a game fails at movie making 101 (which would indeed improve the experience in this particular instance) that will make me appreciate any less what it acheives in terms of dialogue as a game.

M.D

WHAT

I just started Saint's Row, and for some reason it was in a window mode, so I closed it.
Steam said something about save files after I opened it again, but I just chose "play it", and now the save file is missing?!

Edit: Started the game again... now it's there Oo

diggler41

This is my Steam haul this winter

Gifts/Trades:
Daedalic Bundle
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Dead Space Pack
Thomas Was Alone
Jurassic Park
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Star Wars Collection
Back to the Future: The Game
Sonic and Sega All Star Racing
Orcs Must Die 2
Bioshock 2
Castle Crashers
Game of Thrones Bundle
Darksiders 2 - Abyssal Forge
Wallace and Gromit's Grand Adventures
Hacker Evolution
Hacker Evolution: Untold
Hacker Evolution Duality
Majesty Gold HD
Hamlet

Steam:
Botanicula
Ys Origin
Bone Bundle: Out from Boneville and The Great Cow Race
Bionic Commando + Rearmed
Splintercell: Chaos Theory
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X
Game of Thrones - Weapon Pack
Game of Thrones DLC3 - Dog Skin Pack
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
Dungeons of Dredmor Complete
Penny Arcade's On the Rain Slick Precipice of Darkness 3
Penny Arcade Combo Packs
Fable The Lost Chapters
Poker Night
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record Cyborg Skills Pack
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record Firefighter Skills Pack
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record COSPLAY Skills Pack
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record BBQ Chef Skills Pack
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record Preorder
Castle Crashers Pink Knight
Castle Crashers Blacksmith
Darksiders 2 - Van Der Schmash Hammer
Crusader Kings II - Mongol DLC
CKII Songs of Albion
CKII Songs of Faith
CKII Ruler Design
Crusader Kings II - Dynasty DLC
CKII Songs of the Holy Land
Crusader Kings II
They Bleed Pixels
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Civ V Korea/Wonders DLC Combo
Civ V GOTY DLC
I Am Alive

GamersGate:
Legacy of Kain: Defiance
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2
Rogue Warrior
Hunted
Brink Complete Pack
Rage
DOOM 3: BFG Edition
Dishonored

GMG:
Civilizations V Gods and Kings
Devil May Cry 4
Sine Mora

Amazon:
Scribblenauts Unlimited
LEGO Lord of the Rings
Max Payne 3
NBA 2K13

Hixx

WHAT

I just started Saint's Row, and for some reason it was in a window mode, so I closed it.
Steam said something about save files after I opened it again, but I just chose "play it", and now the save file is missing?!

Steam Cloud sync issues maybe?

dani_dc

WHAT

Edit: Started the game again... now it's there Oo

If Steam says something about save files I recommend you read it next time.
If there's a desynchronization between files it will ask if you want to upload your local file or download the cloud file.

Mileena

Banned

No idea, imo it's far superior to the first in every single aspect especially combat. GAF is strange.

Wok

The dialgoues are awful or the dialogue scenes are awful?
Because those two are not necessarly the same thing.

I personally can overlook the way the scene was "shoot" much easier in a game than in a movie.
The fact that the dialogue is something you interact with and how that particular interaction plays out is, in my view, more important than how the scene is directed, which are indeed pretty boring to look at in this game (and the majority of interactive dialogue in games for that manner).
The choices you make during the dialogues and the ramification of those choices later in the story is rather satisfying, and it's not the fact that a game fails at movie making 101 (which would indeed improve the experience in this particular instance) that will make me appreciate any less what it acheives in terms of dialogue as a game.

You are right: I mean the dialogue scenes. I have not played long enough to experience the ramification of choices, I will give it another try some day.

I had played Sleeping Dogs before The Witcher and this may explain why I have noticed (by contrast) the lack of scene direction for the dialogues in The Witcher.

Is the Saint's Row 3 DLC worth it? I already finished the main game and liked it a lot, but maybe I should get a new game for $7.5.

Tomodachi

I heard Human Revolution's bosses were terrible but I didn't think this bad. I'm at the first one and thinking about dropping the game. The rrrrage!

Why didn't they patch this (I recall Squenix admitting they were horrible and outsourced, lol) giving the option to skip them altogether? Geez, why to ruin what seemed like a great game so far.

Need to replenish my wish list.

Of the King's Bounty games, should I start with Legend or Armored Princess or just go straight to the latest (Warriors of the North)?

masterkajo

The programmer must be bored.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJmgmzDvnBw
Not actual sharks, but close enough.

Holy... What is the cheapest way to get that DLC? Even though Saints Row: The Third is still on sale the DLC itself shows as full price €1,49. Only the maximum pleasure pack has it discounted at €1,37. Are the other DLCs in that pack worth it for that price? Keep in mind I already played the game and might just replay it with a friend in coop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom