• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

elfinke

Resonance, FTL and Theme Hospital all purchased, thanks to GOG. Grabbed a 3-pack Awesomenauts just now on Steam. I really wanted to play it when it first came out (but it was on the poorest of the 3 digital platforms, XBL) and I somewhat forgot about it upon its Steam release until I spotted it just then in the Steam banner.

Looking forward to firing it up tonight.

Bully, Hotline Miami, Testament of Sherlock Holmes and Far Cry 3 are all that remain on the wishlist now.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The only thing that is stretched/upscaled are the UI assets, but that is something you learn to deal with playing older games.

That does look somewhat stretched to me, unless Max is shorter and chubbier than I remember.

From WSGF:

Run Max Payne with the console command "maxpayne.exe -developer". Select a widescreen resolution, and launch the game. After a level loads, you'll notice it is obviously stretched. Press F12 until the ingame console appears. Type this command (case sensitive):
MaxPayne_GameMode->GM_ChangeFOV(1.2,0);
Then press F12 until the screen is clear of dev messages.

Sadly, the proportions will still be way off, but at least you now have more horizontal display. Also, you will need to repeat this command every time a new level loads. You might also have to repeat it after certain cut-scenes, or even normal scripted events within the level. Fortunately, you can easily repeat the command just by opening the console and pressing the up key.

graywolf323

Cant find Wolfenstein either (the latest one) :(

Damn I wish I had gotten BLUR, it never went cheap enough though :(

I wonder why Activision is cleaning house on Steam. (Please dont release your own DD service)

Wolfenstein was pulled a year ago, Activision lost the rights to it when Zenimax bought iD

the only games to get pulled at the end of this year seem to be the Bond games and Blur so it's most likely more licenses that expired and Activision didn't (or couldn't) renew them

do people honestly believe that if Activision was pulling games to make their own store they would only pull Blur and Bond?

jediyoshi

As far as I can tell, no they are not. Looks like its rendering at the correct resolution to me.

The only thing that is stretched/upscaled are the UI assets, but that is something you learn to deal with playing older games.

It's stretched

CkUWk.jpg

0IHOr.jpg

Wolfenstein was pulled a year ago, Activision lost the rights to it when Zenimax bought iD

the only games to get pulled at the end of this year seem to be the Bond games and Blur so it's most likely more licenses that expired and Activision didn't (or couldn't) renew them

do people honestly believe that if Activision was pulling games to make their own store they would only pull Blur and Bond?

Does Blur use actual car licenses (Real car make/model), maybe thats why, the license expired or something?

CatPee

Under an hour to decide on Tropico 4. >_>

I already spent $80+ this time around. Suuuper hesitant to spend any more. :(

Eusis

There'll be other sales, and Tropico seems to get them a lot. I'd just wait if you feel that way, I let Far Cry 3 be my big indulgence and now I think I'll just stop grabbing games on Steam until either some of that Capcom indie stuff goes on sale or the last day come and I get that anyway.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I think I'll just buy The Darkness II.

I have two 5 dollar coupons on Amazon and there's virtually nothing that can come up in a new deal that'll be as cheap as that.

And I can't see myself buying anything else from them.

Any idea how long will the Darkness 2 deal go?

DSmalls84

I think I'm done until the next sale. Got a pretty good haul this year even if the sale didn't seem as good as it was in the past. GMG and Amazon really helped pick up some of Steams slack this year.

Condemned: CO
Sleeping Dogs (GMG)
Binary Domain
Lego LOTR (Amazon)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (Amazon)
Red Orchestra 2
Hotline Miami
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack
Spec Ops: The Line (Amazon)
Mark of the Ninja
FTL
Mass Effect
Sniper Elite Franchise Pack
KOTOR II
Miasmata
Darkness 2 (Amazon)

Also Gifted copies of Bioshock I and II.

Overall I spent about $90 Since I had a $20 Amazon card to pay for my games from there.

haikira

Changed one of the games i'm looking for and the pair of them are even cheaper. Would anyone be willing to send me Thomas Was Alone and Thirty Flights of Loving in exchange for Chivalry: Medieval Warfare?

I've posted on the trading thread. But wanted to post here too, since the sales are time sensitive. If i'm annoying anyone in the least though, just tell me and i'll delete away.

moeppel

anyone willing to gift me the max payne 1 and 2 bundle? as this bundle is not available over here in germany...

can pay through paypal :)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

I know how you feel. I'm looking at T4, and Back to the future the game. Probably spent as much as you too. Ugh.

first to quote, gets bioshock key

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone have an extra copy of Skyrim (from the GamersGate sale) they want to pawn off? A friend of mine wants to buy it, but I told him $30 is pretty steep. Is it expected to be cheap anywhere else?

Mordeccai

So, what are the Civ games like? I haven't played a sim game in like, six years and i think the last one I played was Black and White 2. I'm currently between deciding on the Borderlands, Darkness, DNF pack and the 2K Strategy pack on amazon. Strategy pack seems like a good deal but seeing as I haven't played a game of this genre in forever I'd like some impressions.

I'm a variable gamer, I enjoy RPGs, FPS/TPS, indie games, all kinds so I like to think it should be pretty accessible.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Miasmata reminds me of Scratches. If I enjoyed that game, do you think I'll enjoy Miasmata?

DSmalls84

So, what are the Civ games like? I haven't played a sim game in like, six years and i think the last one I played was Black and White. I'm currently between deciding on the Borderlands, Darkness, DNF pack and the 2K Strategy pack on amazon. Strategy pack seems like a good deal but seeing as I haven't played a game of this genre in forever I'd like some impressions.

I'm a variable gamer, I enjoy RPGs, FPS/TPS, indie games, all kinds so I like to think it should be pretty accessible.

Turn based strategy on a grid. You control pretty much every aspect of your Empire including Economy, Politics, Religion, etc. A lot of people seem to prefer Civ IV because Civ V had a few features removed and was seen as being dumbed down, but I believe most of those features were added back in with Gods and Kings. Expect to spend a lot of time playing because even on the quickest settings a single game can take hours.

So, what are the Civ games like? I haven't played a sim game in like, six years and i think the last one I played was Black and White 2. I'm currently between deciding on the Borderlands, Darkness, DNF pack and the 2K Strategy pack on amazon. Strategy pack seems like a good deal but seeing as I haven't played a game of this genre in forever I'd like some impressions.

Civ V is quite accessible. There's not a formal tutorial (from what I remember) but it's good about pushing you in the right direction with UI tips, in-game advisors, etc. There's a lot of depth to the game, but it automates a lot of things for you, so you can control how much you want to micromanage things.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The Civ games are the quinessential 4X games, Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate. You literally control a civilization: you found cities, mine resources, build military units and engage in wars, research technologies and build improvements, and the later the series goes the more control you have. By Civ IV, the game that I recommend, you're making policy decisions for your government and deciding which religion you want to be the state religion and more.

Caerith

Civ V is quite accessible. There's not a formal tutorial (from what I remember) but it's good about pushing you in the right direction with UI tips, in-game advisors, etc. There's a lot of depth to the game, but it automates a lot of things for you, so you can control how much you want to micromanage things.
There kind of is a tutorial, a 1v1 on a small map. It's easy to get into by selecting progressively bigger maps, harder difficulties, etc. But it does take a long time to play, so get used to seeing sunrises.

Mordeccai

Thanks for the impressions, sounds pretty awesome. So, Civ 5 and Gods/Kings or just Civ IV? Going in blind so I just want the better game. Already have one recommendation for Civ 4.

Fucking Dark Souls. I just bought it and installed it last night, tried the DSFix, and the game wouldn't load. So I deleted and reinstalled, and still the game crashes immediately when it tries to launch. Haven't even put in my CD Key yet and I assume I need to go through GFWL before I even get the chance to play.

Anybody know what could be wrong? The damn thing wont boot up and I really want to play it since I loved Demons Souls.

M.D

A note to people who got their games taken but receive no refund from GamersGate - PayPal says I have a refund, and the order status on GamersGate site has been changed to cancelled.

I know of at least another person who was in the same situation and got a refund today as well.

Thanks for the impressions, sounds pretty awesome. So, Civ 5 and Gods/Kings or just Civ IV? Going in blind so I just want the better game. Already have one recommendation for Civ 4.

Fucking Dark Souls. I just bought it and installed it last night, tried the DSFix, and the game wouldn't load. So I deleted and reinstalled, and still the game crashes immediately when it tries to launch. Haven't even put in my CD Key yet and I assume I need to go through GFWL before I even get the chance to play.

Anybody know what could be wrong? The damn thing wont boot up and I really want to play it since I loved Demons Souls.

Uninstall GFWL and download the latest client form the internet. Also try without DSFix first to make sure that isn't causing it.
Don't have any other ideas aside from that right now.

CatPee

Boot it first, turn off AA, read the readme.txt, dump necessary files (including that sneaky dsfix folder), configure the dsfix.ini, then start it up.

My friend went through the same thing. Turns out he didn't see the dsfix folder inside the zip and didn't drop it in.

Dark Souls looks pretty interesting but I think I can wait another sale cycle for it to be cheaper.

It's not gonna get cheaper than $13, assuming you bought something from Amazon lately. Otherwise, $18 is still an incredible price for an incredible game.

FinKL

Same on my end. You think they would iron out the problem and have everything needed to play be automated.

The problem lies with GFWL. Uninstall it (should be 2 programs), then find the latest and greatest GFWL and install that. That should fix it, at least for me it did. Did not try the DSFix yet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom