• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the impressions, sounds pretty awesome. So, Civ 5 and Gods/Kings or just Civ IV? Going in blind so I just want the better game. Already have one recommendation for Civ 4.

Fucking Dark Souls. I just bought it and installed it last night, tried the DSFix, and the game wouldn't load. So I deleted and reinstalled, and still the game crashes immediately when it tries to launch. Haven't even put in my CD Key yet and I assume I need to go through GFWL before I even get the chance to play.

Anybody know what could be wrong? The damn thing wont boot up and I really want to play it since I loved Demons Souls.

I had the same problem. Uninstall DS, go to the steamapps folder and nuke the Dark Souls folder there too before reinstalling. Was on Win8 also.

LuffyZoro

Same on my end. You think they would iron out the problem and have everything needed to play be automated.

The problem lies with GFWL. Uninstall it (should be 2 programs), then find the latest and greatest GFWL and install that. That should fix it, at least for me it did. Did not try the DSFix yet though.

All I did was launch GFWL and fix the license error that apparently happened.

Caerith

Thanks for the impressions, sounds pretty awesome. So, Civ 5 and Gods/Kings or just Civ IV? Going in blind so I just want the better game. Already have one recommendation for Civ 4.

Fucking Dark Souls. I just bought it and installed it last night, tried the DSFix, and the game wouldn't load. So I deleted and reinstalled, and still the game crashes immediately when it tries to launch. Haven't even put in my CD Key yet and I assume I need to go through GFWL before I even get the chance to play.

Anybody know what could be wrong? The damn thing wont boot up and I really want to play it since I loved Demons Souls.
Civ V is really good. +1 for it.

Also, good luck with Dark Souls.

Does Blur use actual car licenses (Real car make/model), maybe thats why, the license expired or something?

Seems really early for car licenses to expire. I mean, it took Colin McCrae Rally was pulled from GOG half a decade after it's initial release. Blur is only two years old. I'd be inclined to blame Activision either burying Bizarre Creations permanently or finally transitioning towards putting all their games on Battle.net. FYI, the PC version is still available on Xbox.com for some reason.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
I really wish Amazon would put Syndicate up with a kickass discount so I could use my 5 buck discount in it.
Goddam ea.

Mordeccai

Holyyy shit Dark Souls is pissing me off. I have tried to launch it without the DSFix, did that upon a fresh reinstall, and it wouldn't boot. Installed latest GFWL client, make a bullshit account through them, yet still the game wont fucking launch. Also can't figure out where to even enter my CD key in the shitty GFWL client, it just shows me a blank white page with a link to the microsoft store online. Real slick looking, design team.

God dammit microsoft.

so looking at this Spellforce bundle it seems like the only one worth getting is Spellforce 2: Gold separately for $4. Am I right?

Lucius looks sorta cool too.. hmm

Levyne

Banned
I may just have to grab Dark Souls.

Holyyy shit Dark Souls is pissing me off. I have tried to launch it without the DSFix, did that upon a fresh reinstall, and it wouldn't boot. Installed latest GFWL client, make a bullshit account through them, yet still the game wont fucking launch. Also can't figure out where to even enter my CD key in the shitty GFWL client, it just shows me a blank white page with a link to the microsoft store online. Real slick looking, design team.

God dammit microsoft.

Uh...ermm...hmm

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Which should I get together with Tomb Raider Anniversary? Underworld or Legend?
What is the main thing that draws you to Tomb Raider?

Puzzles & Platforming? Anniversary
Beauty of the tombs? Underworld
Action and multiple "runs"? Legend

jediyoshi

If the game itself isn't booting, then blame = fromsoftware. The key goes into the ingame gfwl overlay.

Mordeccai

If the game itself isn't booting, then blame = fromsoftware. The key goes into the ingame gfwl overlay.

Yeah, then its Froms issue. I have installed this game twice now with no alterations to the game files and the thing just wont boot up. Can't get into the game to access the gfwl overlay so I guess I just spent 13 dollars on some broken stuff. This is probably because I'm on Windows 8.

I was so hyped to play this game :/

CatPee

Oh you're on Win8. I'm relatively sure people have found a way to fix it and get it running on Win8. Think it has something to do with deleting a folder in GFWL or something related to that.

Does Prepare to Die Edition have new locations not found in the original game? I kind of want to get the boxed version of the game because I just like the game that much and I'm short about $10 on Steam right now.

Does Prepare to Die Edition have new locations not found in the original game? I kind of want to get the boxed version of the game because I just like the game that much and I'm short about $10 on Steam right now.

There's a decently sized new area including new bosses.

Volcynika

I really wish Amazon would put Syndicate up with a kickass discount so I could use my 5 buck discount in it.
Goddam ea.

The PC download version? Amazon's had it for $5 multiple times, and I think the coupon doesn't work on things less than/equal to $5 (it would be $4.99). Unless you mean another type of Amazon credit.

Dice

I am done save for if the X3 Terran War Pack goes $5 again.

Star Wars: KOTOR 1&2 - $5
Wings of Prey + DLC - $8.73
DCS: A-10C Warthog - $10
Quake - $2.50
Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 + Expansion - $11.23
FTL - $5 (would have been gift if a deal hadn't already been set)

That's too much money spent on more games, lol. Especially considering that I ordered a CH Fighterstick (though that will help me play several flight/space shooters I already had plus two of these) Christmas money enabled me at the most vulnerable time.

I had CRAZY luck with SteamGifts the past couple months. All of these were public giveaways:

Cave Story+
Dwarfs
Shank 2
Legend of Grimrock
THQ Humble Bundle (above average)
Star Wolves 3

Also never expected to be randomly gifted so much by some amazing gaffers:

LEGO Batman 2
Mark of the Ninja
The Walking Dead
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
SSFIV AE Complete
Sonic Adventures DX
SEGA Bass Fishing
Crazy Taxi

Thanks guys, this Christmas was bonkers. Now to begin the battle with my conscience between games & life responsibilities.

CatPee

Pretty sure you'd have to import it since there's no physical release in North America.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The PC download version? Amazon's had it for $5 multiple times, and I think the coupon doesn't work on things less than/equal to $5 (it would be $4.99). Unless you mean another type of Amazon credit.

Yeah, I know. I just didn't want it at the time. Now I kinda do....

Oh well, it'll get cheaper again eventually.. I was thinking more to the likes of 7,50 with a 5 buck discount to 2,50 :D

Mordeccai

Oh you're on Win8. I'm relatively sure people have found a way to fix it and get it running on Win8. Think it has something to do with deleting a folder in GFWL or something related to that.

Been googling and found something along these lines, might as well try it out.

Yeah, then its Froms issue. I have installed this game twice now with no alterations to the game files and the thing just wont boot up. Can't get into the game to access the gfwl overlay so I guess I just spent 13 dollars on some broken stuff. This is probably because I'm on Windows 8.

I was so hyped to play this game :/

Runs fine out of the box on windows 8.

Have you removed all the files before re-installing? You may have left something in there.

Anyone tried any of the Spellforce games? How is it?

Mediocre at the very best. Not worth the price or time.

Dice

Underworld actually looks pretty decent downsampled with 16x AA. Anniversary's character model didn't age as well.
That's either really overboard or too much trouble. If you have the horsepower, flip on 8xSSAA and have a go.

Gilby

I highly encourage people to try out Awesomenauts. It's Smash Bros. + MOBA. (Speaking of which, how insanely cool would a MOBA mode be in the next SSB?)

CatPee

I had no trouble getting Dark Souls and DSfix running on Windows 8. I did, however, have GFWL fully updated and didn't have to set it up because I have to use it with Street Fighter. When I first set that up for Dawn of War 2, it gave me a ton of grief, wouldn't update, and constantly gave me white screens for pages. So... Keep at it? I eventually got lucky getting it to work and its been smooth since except for hanging on updates.

Fucking GFWL... I hope it dies a horrible death as soon as possible.

At least wait until DSII comes out. Dead GFWL = no Dark Souls :(.

Durante

Amazing. Dark Souls is on its 4th repeat, still #1.

Also, from all the reports I get it really doesn't seem like a good idea to use WIndows 8 if you want to play the game (DSfix or not).

Mordeccai

I'm envious of everybody getting it to work out of the box. Wanted to spend my afternoon with it but it has slipped away. Nuked the file directory in steamapps before reinstalling and it still won't load. Currently in the process of trying out a method listed here that involves force updating gfwl and moving a file into another directory, hopefully it works.

Until then imma just play some Chivalry. I haven't had this much fun with a game in forever. Managed to log 11 hours into it over three days.

Mordeccai

:/ not using windows 8 isn't an option since I just built this pc and used a system builder copy of 8 for it. Didn't see the point in clinging to 7 when in a year I'd update to windows 8 anyway as people stop resisting the change.

Honestly only two things have not worked on windows 8, no drivers for a wireless usb adapter and Dark Souls.

I guess it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy, as I assume they are repeating deals that did well (until they stop doing well?).

Valve is great at running tests like this though. They datamine like no one else and the metrics they have as to what works and doesn't work is pretty astounding.

My guess is that the current higher prices and the repeat deals are actually maximizing return as they're figuring out the price sensitivities to a ridiculous level of accuracy. They probably also have some calcs in there about games like Dark Souls, highly rated, strong following but not purchased by the masses.

That and Towns I guess. lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom