• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

:/ not using windows 8 isn't an option since I just built this pc and used a system builder copy of 8 for it. Didn't see the point in clinging to 7 when in a year I'd update to windows 8 anyway as people stop resisting the change.

Honestly only two things have not worked on windows 8, no drivers for a wireless usb adapter and Dark Souls.
Well, I also know that many people got it to work on Windows 8, including DSfix. Sadly I can't really remember any specific hints.

Tomb Raider collection is my first purchase of the sale.

Feels pretty good owning most of the games I want to. £10 in total so far, a fraction of what I bought in the earlier sales!

Echoplx

:/ not using windows 8 isn't an option since I just built this pc and used a system builder copy of 8 for it. Didn't see the point in clinging to 7 when in a year I'd update to windows 8 anyway as people stop resisting the change.

Honestly only two things have not worked on windows 8, no drivers for a wireless usb adapter and Dark Souls.

Gfwl is a mess on windows 8 right now, I'm not at home so haven't tried it yet but apparently the version included with flight simulator x (free) fixes the crash on startup problem that windows 8 has with gfwl games

Mordeccai

Well, I also know that many people got it to work on Windows 8, including DSfix. Sadly I can't really remember any specific hints.

Its cool. I'll figure it out.

Gfwl is a mess on windows 8 right now, I'm not at home so haven't tried it yet but apparently the version included with flight simulator x (free) fixes the crash on startup problem that windows 8 has with gfwl games

This is what frustrates me most. Microsoft makes both products..... and they're broken as fuck when used together. Just really gets to me, don't like shit not working especially on a pc I just made haha.

Lucifon

Amazing. Dark Souls is on its 4th repeat, still #1.

Also, from all the reports I get it really doesn't seem like a good idea to use WIndows 8 if you want to play the game (DSfix or not).

Huh, i'm on Win8 and it seems to work fine? With DSfix.

I have Dark Souls working in win8, but I did have to fuck around for hours with various fixes including installing microsoft flight (!), in the end installing the game and putting dsfix in the folder before even launching it was what made it work.

Wow...Lucius is essentially lifted directly from The Omen. Like the only difference is the kid's name.

Noticed that when I watched the trailer, which kind of turned me off. There's being inspired by something, and then there's deliberate plagiarism. Still slightly interested because it's a horror title but the quick look didn't do much for me.

The_Monk

GAF, can Hotline Miami be played "Ok" with K + M? Or is one of those games when a controller can really make the difference?

Thanks in advance for answering.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
GAF, can Hotline Miami be played "Ok" with K + M? Or is one of those games when a controller can really make the difference?

I prefer the the k/m over the controller. You need precision, because even the slightest miss, gets you killed. I found 'looking ahead' easier with k/m than controller as well.

It's a bit like what control system you use for FPSes: it's obviously designed for KB+M, but some people seem to cope with controllers fine.

Reikon

Flight Simulator X is not free.

The_Monk

I prefer the the k/m over the controller. You need precision, because even the slightest miss, gets you killed. I found 'looking ahead' easier with k/m than controller as well.

It's a bit like what control system you use for FPSes: it's obviously designed for KB+M, but some people seem to cope with controllers fine.

Keyboard and mouse works great. Haven't tried with a controller tough, but I don't see the reason for it either.

Thanks a lot. Going to give a try. One thing I believe it's mandatory is a good set of Headphones or Speakers but that I already knew.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Can someone help me get Dark Souls? (the game isn't available in my region). Sadly I can't paypal but I can buy anything on steam for that amount or a little more for the courtesy.

This is frustrating me. Is there any way to add funds to my Steam wallet with a prepaid MasterCard?

EDIT: whoop, nevermind. Made a very, very stupid mistake. Forget all that.

So Dark Souls settings allow me to play in 1080p (allegedly, according to the options menu) when I don't have DSFix installed yet. Is it actually 1080p or do the settings just go that high while actually rendering everything at only 720?

EDIT: Oh this isn't Durante's thread. I saw a lot of Dark Souls talk and mistook it for a DS thread. Sorry. I'd still appreciate an answer though.

feel

Does Prepare to Die Edition have new locations not found in the original game? I kind of want to get the boxed version of the game because I just like the game that much and I'm short about $10 on Steam right now.
Yeah, there's a new group of areas to explore that are quite amazing IMO.

Kammie

Can someone help me get Dark Souls? (the game isn't available in my region). Sadly I can't paypal but I can buy anything on steam for that amount or a little more for the courtesy.
Buy it on Amazon. Cheaper. Use your CC but input a U.S. address, and it'll go through.

Edit: I think it's a daily now, right? Won't show for me. Not sure about the cheaper, then. But it's 17.99. Probably is.

Miker

So Dark Souls settings allow me to play in 1080p (allegedly, according to the options menu) when I don't have DSFix installed yet. Is it actually 1080p or do the settings just go that high while actually rendering everything at only 720?

Without DSfix, it's just upscaled. You can tell because it'll look like ass.

cicero

A note to people who got their games taken but receive no refund from GamersGate - PayPal says I have a refund, and the order status on GamersGate site has been changed to cancelled.

I know of at least another person who was in the same situation and got a refund today as well.
Had you gifted the games to yourself?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Buy it on Amazon. Cheaper. Use your CC but input a U.S. address, and it'll go through.

Edit: I think it's a daily now, right? Won't show for me. Not sure about the cheaper, then. But it's 17.99. Probably is.

I just checked but it doesn't look that it will give me a steam code to redeem.

G-Fex

I think there's something wrong with the controls to Dark Souls.

I plugged my 360 controller and the button layouts are all wrong for some reason. I can't seem to fix it.

Tomodachi

feel

nobody told me that fucking dark souls had a 30 minute unskippable cutscene opening

Fuck you from software
Why would you expect someone to tell you that lie?

edit- the gamepad worked flawlessly every time with the game too even when I turned it on after starting it, something is definitely messed up on your end.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing. Dark Souls is on its 4th repeat, still #1.

Also, from all the reports I get it really doesn't seem like a good idea to use WIndows 8 if you want to play the game (DSfix or not).
Have you received a paycheck from From already? I believe a great amount of the sales of the PC port were because of you.

lolmoose

Neo Member
Why would you expect someone to tell you that lie?

edit- the gamepad worked flawlessly every time with the game too even when I turned it on after starting it, something is definitely messed up on your end.

Xbox controller works fine for me besides when I hit it sprint and move the stick up it stalls or something:(

Quick question from someone who is inexperienced with the Mass Effect franchise. I love science fiction based games. The world of Mass Effect is endlessly appealing from that perspective. I've heard quite a few misgivings regarding Mass Effect 3 but it hasn't killed the appeal of the series and I still want to experience the franchise as a whole. Mass Effect through Mass Effect 3.

If I purchase the franchise pack currently on sale through Steam, as well as the Origin version of Mass Effect 3, will it be difficult to continue save progression from Mass Effect 2 to 3? I guess I'm just asking from a technical point of view, will I encounter difficulty, whether that's in the form of glitches, bugs or save errors, from playing on two different digital services?

Quick question from someone who is inexperienced with the Mass Effect franchise. I love science fiction based games. The world of Mass Effect is endlessly appealing from that perspective. I've heard quite a few misgivings regarding Mass Effect 3 but it hasn't killed the appeal of the series and I still want to experience the franchise as a whole. Mass Effect through Mass Effect 3.

If I purchase the franchise pack currently on sale through Steam, as well as the Origin version of Mass Effect 3, will it be difficult to continue save progression from Mass Effect 2 to 3? I guess I'm just asking from a technical point of view, will I encounter difficulty, whether that's in the form of glitches, bugs or save errors, from playing on two different digital services?

Not entirely sure, but I think that if you buy the games on Steam you can register them on Origin, but ask someone to confirm that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom