• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I've added to my Library over the sale:

Hotline Miami (Amazon)
Mark of the Ninja (Steam)
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Gift from GK86 on Steam. Thanks again!)
Towns (Gift from a friend on steam)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II (Steam)
LEGO Lord of the Rings Retail (Amazon)
Aliens vs Predator (Gift from mattiewheels. Thanks again!)
Fallout New Vegas: Ultimate Edition (Gamersgate)
Morrowind Comp (Gamersgate)
Dishonored (Gamersgate)
Rage (Gamersgate)
Lord of the Rings: War in the North (Amazon)
Bioshock 2 (Amazon)
Spec Ops: The Line (Amazon)
Bioshock (Amazon)
FTL: Faster Than Light Retail (Developers site)​

Many more games than I've been adding in the last few sales.

Do the Top Dog DLC packs for Sleeping Dogs stack? Or is it enough to buy the gold one? Also, is all the other DLC cosmetic except for the two mission DLCs?

MRORANGE

I can run it on a 5770 with 521 MB of VRAM. Su you would be fine with yours.

well the other problem is that my pc has 2gb of ram...

Do the Top Dog DLC packs for Sleeping Dogs stack? Or is it enough to buy the gold one? Also, is all the other DLC cosmetic except for the two mission DLCs?

They stack, depending on how far you are it should get you to the top level if you use both, I personally recommend not using them until you complete the game.

chunk3rvd

don't do it, rct2 is really cheap on amazon, and sooo much better

Only opened a steam account for the first time yesterday and was disappointed that this wasn't on there. I can see the triple thrill pack on amazon.com for $3.99. Can I buy that in the uk with a fake address and download it? Also, will it work on a windows 8 laptop?

Chaos

Sine Mora is £1.60 at greenman with discount code, steam activated.
Just a heads up if you were gona buy it :)

Winter sale haul, around $70 for all.

(Amazon) Civ 4 Complete
(Amazon) Civ 5 + Gods & Kings
Dead Island
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link
Devil May Cry 3: SE
Devil May Cry 4
Hero Academy
Knights of Honor
LIMBO
Mirror's Edge
Prince of Persia (2008)
SimCity 4
Splinter Cell: Conviction
(Amazon) Stronghold Collection
Total War: SHOGUN 2
Tropico 4

I want to cry. :(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Now show us the real list Jace ;3

(I'm with ya brother)

SFA, really. I'd intended to spend a fair bit but Christmas became unexpectedly expensive.

- Call of Duty: World at War (Gift)
- Ghost Recon Pack (Gift)
- Fly'N ($4.99)
- Ignite ($0.99)
- Lego LoTR ($7.49)
- Scribblenauts ($7.49)
- Dead Rising 2: OtR DLC ($2.30)
- Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 + DLC ($1.99)
- The Sims: Medieval ($2.19)
- Painkiller: Hell & Damnation + CE Upgrade ($9.99)
- Brink Complete + Hunted: The Demon's Forge ($6)
- Civ V: Gods & Kings ($5.41)
- 3D Mark Vantage ($4.99)
- Devil May Cry 3 SE ($6.79)
- 3D Mark 11 ($4.99)
- Bullet Candy + Cricket Revolution + Puzzle Dimension + Doom Rails + Roogoo + Puzzler World + Naval Warfare ($6.23)
- Miasmata ($7.49)
- Heroes of Migh & Magic: I am the Boss DLC ($0.74)
- Legacy of Kain Collection ($6.12)

A nice total of USD$97.97! More than I'd intended to spend, but I'm not homeless. ;)

Edit: A few last-minute additions:
- Iron Brigade (Gift)
- Patricians and Merchants Box ($1.99)
- Lume ($1.74)
- Dead Hungry Diner ($1.74)
- Iron Grip: Warlord + DLC ($2.24)

Edit 2: A couple of very last-minute additions
- Port Royale 2 ($1.74)
- Port Royale 3: New Adventures DLC ($2.03)

New total: USD$105.68 USD$109.45

HoosTrax

There's a $0.52 "foreign transaction" fee on my credit card statement...

I'm not sure what that could be. GMG? But it's dated several days after my last GMG purchase.

Tomodachi

Well so much for worst sale ever, steam dropped the ball etc guys :p

I'm not sure what that could be. GMG? But it's dated several days after my last GMG purchase.

My bank charges a very little percentage every time I buy something in a currency other than €. Funny thing is it started doing so like an year ago without any sort of email or notice. Sweet guys.

kswiston

If you buy something on the weekend or on a holiday, they sometimes charge you the transaction fee on the next business day.

So this seems to be my final haul for this year. Except perhaps some Sleeping Dogs DLC.

JvtHp.png

+ The Secret World from Amazon.

As you can see, not a lot of money spent on Steam.

Thanks to bobnowhere for Cave Story+ and serototnina for Half Minute Hero.

Wok

It is your bank. I try to pay in € to avoid the fees. Or to use Paypal if I pay in $ since the bank account is debited in € and Paypal takes very little fee for foreign exchange.

HoosTrax

It is your bank. I try to pay in € to avoid the fees. Or to use Paypal if I pay in $ since the bank account is debited in € and Paypal takes very little fee for foreign exchange.
How annoying. Especially since when I view GMG, it shows me USD prices, so it's not obvious that there's a currency exchange going on in the background.

JaseC

Should I get Sleeping Dogs or Kingdoms of Amalur + DLC on Amazon?

SleepyDogs will get a lot of mentions, so allow me to offer some insight into KoA:

Amalur is big, even ignoring the DLC content:
Despite Valve and... whichever US state Government now owns the KoA IP apparently reaching an agreement for continued sale, it's abundantly clear that the game won't be discounted, so I say buy it now on the cheap. In terms of content, if you're one for secondary quests and such, the base game alone is big.

koalap8oj4.jpg

But consider its structure:
The game isn't anything special; it's essentially Fable meets a God of War-lite combat system complete with a pinch of MMOesque game/world design. As one who enjoys Fable for its WRPG simplicity, I found the game to be quite fun, although there's no denying the sheer size of it (and resulting repetitiveness of the quest design) can begin to weigh down the overall experience.

Parallacs

Didn't buy anything this sale.

Here is my "haul of games I almost bought" but just went meh and loaded up FTL for another round.

Torchlight 2 : $9.99 Not sure why I didn't get this. Maybe I played the first one too much and was sick of it.
Defcon: $1.99 Want to get it but feel like it will eventually be part of a HumbleBundle again. I don't mind the price, I just want something to look forward to since I usually have most of the games.
Borderlands 2: $29.99 Too much for me. I would be playing by myself so I don't want to get it till it goes to $5.
Mark of the Ninja: I don't know anything about this. Looks good but it didn't motivate me.

kswiston

I regret not jumping on that Amazon deal for Scribblenauts.

I'm in the process of looking over some final potential purchases out of the non-daily stuff, and have a few questions:

A) If I was only going to buy/play one, which Dungeons game is better? The original or Dungeons: The Dark Lord? If Dungeons 2 is better, is it worth the extra $1.25 or are they pretty similar?

B) Are the Cossacks/American conquest titles any good? It looks like there are at least 3 titles in there plus a bunch of expansions for $5. Seems like a good deal if the games are worth playing.

Is there still a chance for The Secret World to be a flash sale or something? That was my New Vegas for this sale. Going B2P suddenly made that game a must have for me, the concept and the way quests work sounds awesome.

sadly doesn't look like its going to make it. been waiting on it as well

Mairu

So it's that time now?

Acquisitions:
I Am Alive (gifted to me)
Sonic Adventure 2 (gifted to me)
Legacy of Kain Collection (gamersgate)
Saints Row The Third Full Package (amazon- actually bought this just for the entire dlc package, already had the game!)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (amazon)
Mark of the Ninja
Tomb Raider Legend
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Dead Rising 2 Complete Pack
Awesomenauts
Half Minute Hero
Kotor2

Gifts bought:
Kotor2
Awesomenauts (x2)
Deponia (x2)
Binary Domain
Legend of Grimrock
Defender's Quest: Valley of the forgotten
Spec Ops (amazon)

If it wasn't for Amazon/Gamersgate/GMG I'd be pretty unhappy about this year's sale!

HoosTrax

Here is my "haul of games I almost bought" but just went meh and loaded up FTL for another round.

Torchlight 2 : $9.99 Not sure why I didn't get this. Maybe I played the first one too much and was sick of it.
Defcon: $1.99 Want to get it but feel like it will eventually be part of a HumbleBundle again. I don't mind the price, I just want something to look forward to since I usually have most of the games.
Borderlands 2: $29.99 Too much for me. I would be playing by myself so I don't want to get it till it goes to $5.
Mark of the Ninja: I don't know anything about this. Looks good but it didn't motivate me.
Out of those, I would recommend against DEFCON. It's a stylish but not particularly deep game, like a lot of Introversion stuff. The main purpose of the game seems to be a commentary on nuclear deterrence and the concept of "mutually assured destruction". As a strategy game, it's really shallow and would wear out its welcome quickly.

MmmSkyscraper

Unconfirmed Member
FFFUUU, Sleepy Dawgs DLC prices increased while I was working out which ones I wanted (which in itself is a total pain in the arse).

Edit: And they've mostly gone back down to 66% off again, thank you based GarryN

Got a £20 voucher for Christmas and turned it into:

Ultimate Doom/Doom 2/Final Doom
Far Cry
Quake
Retro City Rampage
Civilization III
Civilization IV
Thief Gold
Worms
Ys Origin

Happy with that haul :)

MRORANGE

Pick up Sleeping Dogs, my personal GOTY

if9VAGXL1Yotv.gif

"Sleeping Dogs is probably going to be my favourite game this year. It’s hard to imagine why Activision wanted to scrap this game as it really excels well as a sandbox game and has refined how we see the genre altogether.

The story is amazing and can hold its own compared to Mafia 2 / GTA4. The combat is great, as well as movement; it’s very responsive compared to GTA4. Car’s are slightly arcade-ish to handle - but considering you can hijack cars and do slow motion shoot-outs it works out pretty well.

Overall Sleeping Dogs is a love letter to Hong Kong cinema; I’ve been mesmerized by its tiny immaculate detail which gives this game so much charisma and charm. Truly one the great gems of this generation.

On a last note, the PC version is just amazing, advance PC options and day 1 HD textures really show that United Front is commited to the PC. Listening to Ninja Tune radio while driving a motorbike down a wet and rainy neon lit sky is just pure bliss."

nexen

My haul:

NovaLogic Classics Volume 1
Skydrift
Ether Vapor Remaster
Max Payne 3 (WW) (Amazon)
Hotline Miami (Amazon)
Resonance
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD - Revert Pack
Sniper Ghost Warrior Gold base + 2 DLC
Resident Evil 5
Dead Rising 2
Dark Souls Retail 3P (Amazon)
Half-Life: Blue Shift
Sleeping Dogs Digital Edition (GMG)
Mark of the Ninja (gift! Thanks MrElysia!)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier - Standard
Darksiders 2 (Amazon)
I Am Alive
Spectraball

Final total was like $100 or so. I've done worse to myself but this month and last month have been crazy for me on GOG and Steam so...yeah.

Only regret so far is I Am Alive. I don't like it. Haven't booted RE5 or DR2 yet though, and I might not end up liking them either.

Steam sale sucked this year but the Amazon+GMG deals more than made up for it.

edit: Oh TC:GRFS, Dark Souls, and Hotline Miami are all fantastic.
edit edit: and Sleeping Dogs crashes 100% of the time on startup. Anyone else have this problem?

Omega

Banned
SleepyDogs will get a lot of mentions, so allow me to offer some insight into KoA:

Amalur is big, even ignoring the DLC content:

But consider its structure:

yeah one of the reasons I was considering it was because I have a feeling it won't be this cheap for awhile.

How repetitive are the quests? and are there fetch quests?

Defcon is really good, especially for $2. And Mark of the Ninja is amazing!

I have a sizeable amount of games as loot, despite my constant bitching. Don't have the final tally right now since my steam client isn't in this PC. I do want to give a shout out and a big hug and thanks to my Steam chat bros Ely, JDS, Baha, Ween, Xel, GATS, areo, Cade, Uzu, Grav, cracker. Even more than sales, you guys are what makes Steam special for me.

JaseC

yeah one of the reasons I was considering it was because I have a feeling it won't be this cheap for awhile.

How repetitive are the quests? and are there fetch quests?

Go here, kill that. Go here, talk to this person. Go here, retrieve that. Typical filler stuff.

The Origin version is discounted quite regularly. I say try the demo (which offers up to 60mins 45mins of play time) to see if you find the game enjoyable enough to the point where you can overlook its flaws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom