• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Winter Sales 2012 Thread 2: [Extended To Jan 7th For Encore Deals]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wok

Why? Also, op said get the dlc

The DLC is great but I like the vanilla game and want to play it without all the new additions. Remember it is a rogue-like and the DLC makes it a ton harder.

I have a copy of a shooter which takes place in the metro, for free to one unlucky GAFFer. Here's a hint what it is. The name rhymes with 2033. First to quote gets this piece of coal for Christmas.

I am trying again to give this key away.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
True, but experiencing either and involving oneself in the other results in a greater appreciation for the source material.

Ah of course, I agree. Definitely some familiar links that are cool to experience.

Is steam slow as fuck for anyone else?

Yeah a little bit. Usually bogs down a bit around sale reset time.

Zozobra

Any opinions on F1 2012? I really want an F1 game, but I've heard conflicting reports on the quality of this one - like the online is busted and it's been dumbed-down from previous games in the franchise.

Volcynika

Are the deals bad or do you just already own the games? Not sure how these are bad deals, they're almost all -75% off. Is anyone honestly expecting shit like "Far Cry 3 for $20!" or "Skyrim for $9.99!"?

I own all of them sans F1 and Fable stuff. I think the deals are fine. Just less money to spend for me is all.

Wok

Had it for awhile now, but, in hindsight knowing what value I got out of this game, I'd pay $60 easily.

A friend of mine.

RWwGZ.png

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Graphically it will look pretty rough but the gameplay is still better than 99% of stealth games. If anything you'll play it and wonder why nothing new can come close to it.
I was just trying to offer a contemporary point of comparison, but all you really need to know is that Thief and Thief 2 are superb games that hold up even to this day. Buy them, even if you have to do so come the last day without a deeper discount.
Too much pressure! OK, if they get to 75% off I'll buy them today. As long as they still play fine, I can tolerate outdated graphics.

Prophane33

With deals like these my impatience is going to end up getting the best of me...then with my luck everything I buy goes on daily (as unlikely as that is).

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I just started Alan Wake a couple days ago and I'm actually really impressed. Looks stunning at times and runs beautifully, and while the dialogue seemed a little stilted and wooden at the beginning, the game's style has grown on me.

There are some combat scenarios that instantly made me mad and spiteful, but I like what they were going for. My main gripe is that it's often too difficult to maneuver away from enemies because they're faster than you and they can hit you many times in succession because being hit stuns you but offers no brief period of invincibility so you can recover. I also don't like the heavy enemy type; I think it's much more satisfying to quickly flashlight someone and then shoot them.

Do I want American Nightmare? Is there greater emphasis on combat and if so, is it improved?

c0Zm1c

I not too bothered about repeats. It gives people who have previously missed out a chance to get the games they want at a discount price. It's just the games I missed aren't repeating. :\

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So... anybody know how the friendlist works in Hot Pursuit?

I though it would pull my Origin friendlist, but apparently it doesn't? It says I need to race with people online to add friends - is that true?

Goddammit EA, get your shit together!

Guri

I just started Alan Wake a couple days ago and I'm actually really impressed. Looks stunning at times and runs beautifully, and while the dialogue seemed a little stilted and wooden at the beginning, the game's style has grown on me.

There are some combat scenarios that instantly made me mad and spiteful, but I like what they were going for. My main gripe is that it's often too difficult to maneuver away from enemies because they're faster than you and they can hit you many times in succession because being hit stuns you but offers no brief period of invincibility so you can recover.

Do I want American Nightmare? Is there greater emphasis on combat and if so, is it improved?

While AW1 is a game about atmosphere and thriller aspects, AWAN is more of an action game. It's simpler, but I wouldn't say if that's better or worse. For combat, it got better mechanics, but also you fight more. The enemies have more variety, so that's important.

Fireblend

Banned

There are some combat scenarios that instantly made me mad and spiteful, but I like what they were going for. My main gripe is that it's often too difficult to maneuver away from enemies because they're faster than you and they can hit you many times in succession because being hit stuns you but offers no brief period of invincibility so you can recover. I also don't like the heavy enemy type; I think it's much more satisfying to quickly flashlight someone and then shoot them.

Yeah, American Nightmare improves on the combat. More weapons, more enemy variety, etc, although they don't stray away much from the first game's formula. I honestly played it more because I like the story and style than because of the gameplay, but I think it's still pretty fun.

Nabs

I though it would pull my Origin friendlist, but apparently it doesn't? It says I need to race with people online to add friends - is that true?

You need to add friends in almost every EA game, even the ones that require Origin.

Volcynika

Yeah it's dumb.

I saw someone mention in the other thread that Amazon was going to discount Kingdoms of Amalur quite a bit at some point. Anyone know if I missed that?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Assuming it's discounted to a few bucks again*, I say yes. Combat is improved insofar that there are a wider assortment of weapons and enemy encounters offer slightly more difficulty in that some of the enemies aren't as simple as "shine the flashlight and shoot" (one particular type devolves into a smaller group of enemies when coming into contact with light, for instance). The story, while its premise is mildly interesting, falls flat considering the creative scope and does nothing to move the overarching narrative forward. Similarly, the game itself was clearly limited by the file size limitation imposed by XBLA, with the texture quality ranging from decent to awful, and, more importantly, the campaign consisting of three small locales that are repeated thrice.

Really, it boils down to:

Did you particularly enjoy Alan Wake?
If "Yes": Buy American Nightmare
If "No": Skip

Edit: * I derped and thought the game was part of the Community's Choice poll, haha.

DaBuddaDa

I saw someone mention in the other thread that Amazon was going to discount Kingdoms of Amalur quite a bit at some point. Anyone know if I missed that?

Not sure when or if that happened, but forewarning for those that care: any copy of Amalur not purchased on Steam is not redeemable on Steam. The Steam version is its own, separate SKU self-published by 38 Studios, not EA, and will probably never drop below $59.99.

cicero

Yes it does. How about actually doing the work so the dailys are new? It really wouldn't be that much work.

Indeed. New daily deals, new flash deals, and new deals for Community votes. It shouldn't take THAT much effort, as we can clearly see from previous superior Steam sales.

Went ahead and got American Nightmare. It's been driving me nuts for months and I figured this could be the last time I could get it for so cheap. No regrets. I may get the main game at a later date despite thinking it was just "okay" but literally saved from mediocrity by its atmosphere.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Deus Ex for $5 is a steal. I think the game is more enjoyable when played through stealthy, rather than shoot-'em-up.

Not sure when or if that happened, but forewarning for those that care: any copy of Amalur not purchased on Steam is not redeemable on Steam. The Steam version is its own, separate SKU self-published by 38 Studios, not EA, and will probably never drop below $59.99.

Thanks for the confirmation, I was wondering about this too and had a feeling this was the case.

M.D

I don't know if I should buy more games right now.. XCOM and Civ V are gonna keep me busy for a while, and I still have PS3 games I need to play..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom