• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Rated M for MADDO SCIENTISTO

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
iMdPvpDXOwUbW.png

i29chVveH87jv.png
Developer: 5pb/MAGES, Nitro+
Release Date: March 31 2014
Rating: M (Blood, Language, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Violence)
System Requirements: OS:Windows XP (32-bit only) / Vista (32-bit only) / 7 / 8,
Pentium 4 / (Recommended) Pentium 4 3GHz, Core2Duo, Harddrive Space:
3.0GB, Monitor Resolution:1024 x 768, Graphics: 64MB VRAM, DirectX 9.0c​
ibuwomMvsue3EZ.png

ip2NbRnyT5YLO.png

Okabe Rintarou -- aka Okarin -- is an eccentric college student who dreams
of conspiracy and chaos. Adopting the persona of a mad scientist, he spends
his time developing oddball gadgets with his friends in their makeshift laboratory.

One day, they accidentally discover that one of their inventions can send
emails into the past. In other words, they have created a time machine.

SERN, John Titor, the IBN 5100, the Butterfly Effect, and the 11 theories of
time travel when chance brings these elements together in Akihabara, Japan,
the fate of the world hangs in the balance.

What will Okarin choose when he holds the future in his hands?​

ifNNKG4WqMhtP.png

ibeTp2MP0Ia5mn.png
Okabe is an eccentric individual, a self-proclaimed mad scientist and often refers to himself under
the alias of Kyōma Hōōin, which is also the name he uses to introduce himself to other people.
Mayuri and Daru refer to him by the nickname Okarin, a portmanteau of his surname and given name.
He is the founder of what he calls the "Future Gadget Laboratory" in Akihabara where he
spends most of his time. Okabe gives off the appearance of being delusional and paranoid,
frequently referring to the "organization" that is after him, talking to himself on his phone, and engaging in
fits of maniacal laughter. Most of the time he takes on a fairly arrogant personality​

iCS2ugzqJYbTj.png
Mayuri Shiina is a long time childhood friend of Rintarō and is a bit of an airhead. Shiina enjoys creating
cosplay costumes and has a part-time job at a maid cafe called "Mayqueen Nyannyan". She often calls
herself Mayushii, a portmanteau of her given name and surname, which is also what Daru calls her.
She has a distinctive sing-song way of speaking, and she typically sings tutturū when she arrives
or introduces herself.​

iWAvEjE9FmuuQ.png
Daru is an experienced hacker who has known Okabe since high school. He is very skilled at computer
programming and with old and new computer hardware. He is also well-versed in things pertaining to
otaku culture. Okabe and Shiina refer to him by the nickname "Daru", a portmanteau of his given name
and surname. Okabe sometimes also calls him Super Haker, mispronouncing the word "hacker" to his
chagrin. He is a big fan of Feiris and he frequently says things which could be taken as sexual harassment.
Daru is often annoyed with Okabe's frequent delusional behavior.​

ibhp0vmIilEqAJ.png
Kurisu Makise is a neuroscience researcher at an American university, and can speak and read English well.
Having had her research published in the academic journal Sciency at the young age of 18, Makise is
extremely talented. She skipped a grade in the American school system. She does not get along with her father
and has not spoken to him in many years. Okabe often just calls her assistant or one of a number of nicknames
he comes up with, such as "Christina", "the Zombie", and "Celeb Sev", none of which she likes.​

iv6DsjUq3yUWM.png
Moeka Kiryū is a tall girl who Okabe bumps into in Akihabara and is on a search for the IBN 5100 personal computer.
Kiryū is extremely protective of her mobile phone and becomes agitated if someone tries to take it from her hands.
She is very shy and prefers to talk to someone by sending them a text message instead of speaking, even if they are
right in front of her. Okabe calls her Shining Finger.​

ibzkQlLsqhAFAb.png
Luka Urushibara is a friend of Okabe, his appearance is that of a female and he acts in a feminine way due to his
upbringing, wearing girl's clothing within and outside his/her father's temple. He/She is a close friend and classmate
of Mayuri and is often asked try on her cosplay costumes, though quite shy, s/he generally refuses. He/She is
possibly transgender (due to wishing he was born female), and is unsure of his/her feelings towards Okabe, who
calls him by his/her full name Rukako, and thinks of Luka in the male timeline as a pupil.​

iBQ8SqLjzrACR.png
Faris Nyannyan works at the maid cafe "Mayqueen Nyannyan", the same maid cafe that Shiina works at, and is
the most popular waitress there.Her real name is Rumiho Akiha, whose family owns Akihabara, her being the
one suggested it become the city of moe and anime. She tends to add "meow" (ニャン nyan?) to her sentences.​

isMWAgdCHp9hU.png
Suzuha Amane works part-time for the landlord of Okabe's apartment and is on a search for her father in Akihabara.
She enjoys riding her bicycle and appears to be at odds with Makise for some reason.​

ibyuh9vfJ4WVIc.png
He is Okabe's landlord, who owns a TV repair store beneath his apartment, living with his daughter, Nae.
Okabe often gives him the nickname "Mr. Braun" for his passion to Braun tube TV.​

ijlXgzCUi4iFs.png
Yūgo's daughter who lives with him in the TV repair store and gets along well with Shiina.​

ibwYaLy4fggYUB.png
i2HOorqlGJ4mh.png
Steins;Gate presents the user with the "phone trigger" ) system which is similar to the "delusional trigger" system
that was introduced in Chaos;Head. When the player receives a phone call from somebody, the player can choose
to answer or ignore the call. Incoming text messages will have specific words underlined and highlighted in blue,
much like a hyperlink on a browser, where the player can select on to reply to the text message. Most phone calls
or text messages do not have to be responded to though there are certain points in the game where the player is
required to take action. Depending on the player's choices on how to respond to these phone calls and text messages,
the plot will progress in a specific direction.​

iRvDHafDfSubf.png
iXaiMPxMfpd0K.jpg

ibanczZRi6914J.jpg

iqqwz4EyTOmge.jpg

iiYAtDhPKgxcR.jpg

ism9FbhlBsHnA.png
sg_package_preview_s.jpg
Preorder the Steins;Gate Limited Edition, scheduled for release in Winter 2014!
The Limited Edition includes the following collector's items:​

- A premium box that was printed in Japan for some reason!
- An original full color fanbook with rare art and sketches
- Two Future Gadget Lab member badges with a display case​

Reviews:
BitShiftTV Review

FluxWaveZ

The standard, digital edition is releasing on April 30th? How odd, but I guess it's common for the limited edition of visual novels to release before the standard edition?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The standard, digital edition is releasing on April 30th? How odd, but I guess it's common for the limited edition of visual novels to release before the standard edition?

Well if it was like Demonbane limited edition versions are prioritized for printing first.

ohlawd

I just realized I can't play this.

oh man I'm gonna be sitting on my copy for a while. At least it'll be nice to stare at.

No, that's the standard physical edition. The digital edition is releasing on March 31st along with the limited edition.

Edit: Wait a minute, I think you're right. When did that change?!

Luigi87

No, that's the standard physical edition. The digital edition is releasing on March 31st along with the limited edition.

It's been that way for a while (since the announcement of release?).
LE and Digital (LE also include a digital key so purchases don't have to wait for shipping) launches the end of this month, but the standard physical have quite a bit longer wait.

It's been that way for a while (since the announcement of release?).
LE and Digital (LE also include a digital key so purchases don't have to wait for shipping) launches the end of this month, but the standard physical have quite a bit longer wait.

No no, the normal digital edition seems to now have a release date of April 30th, according to the links in the OT. I hope that's just some sort of error.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Alright, that thread subtitle is pretty great.

Stoked for this. Loved the anime, can't wait to check out the supposedly superior VN.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is it necessary to play Chaos Head before? assuming there's an english version of CH...

It's standalone there is just a few references you'll miss pretty much but they both do take place in the same universe but the encyclopedia should fill you in on anything you might be confused on.

upandaway

Not at all. If you've played Chaos;Head than you'll know the rating is justified.
Wai.. wait a sec. I sure did, and C;H is definitely M, but I'm kinda lost how that's related. In S;G, according to the ESRB description
they've given it M because of like what, a couple paragraphs of red text.
Dunno, man. I don't know.

Wai.. wait a sec. I sure did, and C;H is definitely M, but I'm kinda lost how that's related. In S;G, according to the ESRB description
they've given it M because of like what, a couple paragraphs of red text.
Dunno, man. I don't know.

Eh, I guess there's also that
shower scene

bigkrev

Are you fucking kidding me.

There is no reason for this. The ISO will be up on torrent sites before the download version is FOR SALE. This makes zero sense.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Finally! Pre-ordered this ages ago, just need to get a shipping confirmation when it comes out! :D

So conflicted on whether I should play this first, or watch the anime first... Anyone who's read the VN have any suggestions?

1emons

Neo Member
Are you fucking kidding me.

There is no reason for this. The ISO will be up on torrent sites before the download version is FOR SALE. This makes zero sense.

I hope the digital release date is wrong but the ISO for the game is already up on torrent sites and has been for like two years.

I hope the digital release date is wrong but the ISO for the game is already up on torrent sites and has been for like two years.

That was either the Japanese version or the unedited fan translation. The official release shouldn't be available anywhere yet.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Sorry if this is something that was cleared up long ago, but I remember they were meaning to also release it on Steam. Is there any concrete info regarding that?

Top Bottom