• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Rated M for MADDO SCIENTISTO

Sorry if this is something that was cleared up long ago, but I remember they were meaning to also release it on Steam. Is there any concrete info regarding that?

Nothing concrete yet, other than that JAST wants to do it and they need to get permission from 5pb. (possibly convincing them with sales numbers or something)

bigkrev

The point is that pirates don't have to wait for the official ISO when the could have played this game in English for the past couple years if they wanted.

You normally have to do things like set your PC location to Japan to play those. This lets you skip that.

It's more of a "why the fuck are you delaying the digital release of a PC game in 2014" than anything else.

Dennis

Banned
About the M rating - is the game different in tone from the anime?

I watched the anime and that didn't really strike me as an M rated deal.

1emons

Neo Member
You normally have to do things like set your PC location to Japan to play those. This lets you skip that.

It's more of a "why the fuck are you delaying the digital release of a PC game in 2014" than anything else.

I just don't think someone who was planning on purchasing it is going to pirate the retail ISO because they had to wait an extra month.

Agree with you on the release date.

upandaway

About the M rating - is the game different in tone from the anime?

I watched the anime and that didn't really strike me as an M rated deal.
I don't know how much description you'll be comfortable with, so I'll just literally answer the question, the game is identical in tone to the anime (just a lot more in-depth and with some extra scenes and endings), with one alternate ending being somewhat darker.

Personally I think the M rating is a bit picky. The anime has the bath scene too but the ESRB flat out mentions the scene in the description.

bigkrev

I just don't think someone who was planning on purchasing it is going to pirate the retail ISO because they had to wait an extra month.

Agree with you on the release date.

Hypothetically, if someone wanted to play the game a year ago, but saw that it was being officially released in their country of origin and decided to wait for that to come out, they might be really pissed about this and willing to find the ISO in a few days vs wait and pay the 40 dollars

Hypothetically

1emons

Neo Member
Hypothetically, if someone wanted to play the game a year ago, but saw that it was being officially released in their country of origin and decided to wait for that to come out, they might be really pissed about this and willing to find the ISO in a few days vs wait and pay the 40 dollars

Hypothetically

I would say that person should have just downloaded it a year ago if waiting an extra month is enough of an excuse to pirate something.

Tizoc

Thread sub-title is awesome.

I was not impressed with the anime. Any reason I should consider the VN?

As a general rule, the Visual Novel is always better than its anime adaptation.
edit: I pre-ordered digital in September, when will the download links for the game become available?

Slightly unrelated, but when I played through this game a while ago I keep having anxiety attacks. I have NO idea why, and it would stop the moment I stopped playing. Great game if you don't die while playing it.

Marche90

I forgot this was coming... or maybe my brain forced me to forget, since I didn't bought the Limited edition (no money, no DVD drive :( )

Still, hopefully everyone who buys this enjoy it, since it's my favorite VN. Also, keep going even if the beginning isn't to your liking: it gets waaay better.

05umUw4.png

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jastusa/status/448719415618461698[/tweet]

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
05umUw4.png

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jastusa/status/448719415618461698[/tweet]
Sweet, entered. Forgot this was coming out. One of the rare PC games that I have interest in, so hoping to get it one of these days to see how it differs from the anime.

Would be amazing if this did well enough to get ported to something like Vita/other ports got localized. I'm starting to enjoy VN & similar games on handhelds for the fact I can take them on the go & easily put them into sleep mode, then get right back to where I left off.

KiteGr

The Anime was good despite being based in yet another dating sim.

Dont know if i'll try the game though...

FluxWaveZ

The point is that pirates don't have to wait for the official ISO when the could have played this game in English for the past couple years if they wanted.

Yeah, it still seems like a super weird approach to make. I think it's so that people who wanted to play it sooner would spend more on the physical limited edition and that those who did would feel better about the purchase, but I'm not too sure if that's more profitable than having the regular edition downloadable version just release at the same time when the platform is the PC.

I'm sure that this game would also do a lot better if it was at least releasing on Steam right now. Odd distribution stuff all around.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Awesome! o: Take some pictures of the packaging and stuff if they sent you an LE I wanna see how it looks in a real world environment.

Gbraga

Great thread title. I can't hold so many games >_________>

Still need to play through Danganronpa before I jump into this though, but it'll definitely be mine.

cj_iwakura

I already 100%'d the beta fan translation, but I look forward to the polished incarnation.

Luka is still weird, though. (As in changing the name from Ruka, I love the character.)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
It looks like the first winner for the digital giveaway will be announced tomorrow at 9PM if anyone still wants enter that before then.

Yasumi

Banned
I've been deliberately abstaining from anything Steins;Gate-related on the off chance that it ever got localized, and now it's almost here. I can't wait.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Well one more day left! People who ordered from JAST or J-List should get their free digital version or regular digital version to boot up when your copy ships.

Tizoc

I preordered the digital ver. and taking into consideration time differences with the US, I may be getting it by April 1st. Can't believe I had this pre-ordered since September!

upandaway

EXCELLENT!
Tomorrow's my last day of work! How many hours does it take to finish 100%, 30?
I can't say for sure because my previous experience was with the ridiculously buggy and laggy previous PC version, which is supposedly fixed, but I'd say it would take in the 50 range if you use a walkthrough.

Tizoc

I can't say for sure because my previous experience was with the ridiculously buggy and laggy previous PC version, which is supposedly fixed, but I'd say it would take in the 50 range if you use a walkthrough.

Woah, well I'll enjoy it since I don't have any other 'big' game I want to play atm until Moebius in Mid April.

Top Bottom