• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Rated M for MADDO SCIENTISTO

Some snaps of my S;G arrivals :)

iudQIp2GKjvH2.jpg

ibq5nFoKRYAcBG.jpg

iBdXwPZSlHNgy.jpg

iSpvfXCJEsozg.jpg

ifaJ9JBjHhHEz.jpg

ibdkql76AkN5ae.jpg

iTeBNpPy5UiNy.jpg

ixVs2Z4cxkrxf.jpg

inCtxhGjdB9FO.jpg

ibcoAouGCawANg.jpg

I've gotten up to Chapter 8 now (along with getting two endings), and everything is living up to the hype. I'm enjoying all of the characters and finding all of the timeline changes to be pretty intriguing. The end of Chapter 5 was really surprising.
Seeing Moeka show up suddenly and show a completely unexpected side, and then Mayuri got shot and I was pissed. At that point I had been wondering about how the story was going to keep up the tension for the rest of the game, but then they showed me exactly how. At first I found the start of Chapter 6 to be kind of slow since it seemed kind of pointless to keep showing Okabe failing to save Mayuri, but then I got how the game just really wanted to drive down the hopelessness of the situation and Okabe's despair. The only thing that really wound up frustrating me in Chapter 6 was just how long it took anyone to figure out that Daru was Suzuha's father, when it was pretty obvious from the start. But I liked that it at least used that to show Mayuri being more observant than other people give her credit for.

The music for this game has also been really effective at fitting the characters and building the mood. I'm curious to see where the rest of the story takes me. The phone trigger mechanic is also unexpectedly pretty good, and the game implements all of that really well and even crafts a lot of tension out of sending mail or answering your phone.

bobawesome

Funimation's anime solicitations for September 2014 have been updated and with them, Steins;Gate the complete series on blu-ray.
$38.49 for one of the best anime of all time is a no-brainer. I already own the series but I may jump on this again. A solicitation for Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu shouldn't be too far behind now. Hopefully Tatum has a hand in localizing the script this time as well.

edit: Whoops, I thought this was the off-topic discussion for some reason. My bad.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was wondering what was the last word on a Steam release. Anyone knows if they're still trying to get this on the store?

I was wondering what was the last word on a Steam release. Anyone knows if they're still trying to get this on the store?

There hasn't been any word recently, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's addressed at JAST's panel during the upcoming Anime Expo 2014.

Finally started playing this. I'm on Chapter 4. The game is fun and interesting but it could use better pacing. The main character's dialogue and monologues are hilarious and love how he refers to Kurisu with various names that she hates.

Yasumi

Banned
I finally got the true ending.
It was everything I'd hoped for. Tears everywhere, I loved it. I'm still basking in the afterglow.
I don't even know what I want to do with my free time now. Gosh.

Just finished it with all endings but not all achievements yet. It was definitely very good! There wasn't any mind-blown moments like with Ever 17 or The Zero Escape series; however, this series has probably the most interesting lead out of the three. The characters are interesting and the story -- though with some bad pacing -- is solid.

I had no idea Robotics;Notes takes place in the same universe. How was that game received?

I had no idea Robotics;Notes takes place in the same universe. How was that game received?

From what I've heard, it has solid story and characters, but has some pacing issues. It also doesn't really have the same tone as Steins;Gate, it's more slice-of-lifey. Apparently the remake on Vita fixes a lot of the pacing issues, though.

Frologic

The anime was telling the visual novel story through a television series.

The visual novel has multiple endings, some different plot points, and much more SCIENCE.

Oh, neat. I didn't know that. I'm halfway through the show now but now I wish I started with the visual novel

FluxWaveZ

Finally got around to playing this for a bit (2 hours in). A lot of what I've experienced at the start of the game is redundant since I had seen the first 9 episodes of the anime, but it's still interesting to go through (and there's a whole lot more of that physics talk that I try in vain to follow).

I'm afraid that this is going to become some kind of harem/dating game seeing how it seems most of the main cast is female, combined with the game's genre and that early scene where the main character tried to lift Makise's blouse and her reaction to that.

The phone UI is interesting, though it seems that you can't back out of an email reply once you have selected a highlighted word, which is unfortunate (unless I'm missing something, I'll have to check the manual).

Seems to have a bit of a slow start, which is how I remember it being with the anime, but, just like when I quit in order to wait for the VN, the story will probably get going soon enough.

Finally got around to playing this for a bit (2 hours in). A lot of what I've experienced at the start of the game is redundant since I had seen the first 9 episodes of the anime, but it's still interesting to go through (and there's a whole lot more of that physics talk that I try in vain to follow).

I'm afraid that this is going to become some kind of harem/dating game seeing how it seems most of the main cast is female, combined with the game's genre and that early scene where the main character tried to lift Makise's blouse and her reaction to that.

The phone UI is interesting, though it seems that you can't back out of an email reply once you have selected a highlighted word, which is unfortunate (unless I'm missing something, I'll have to check the manual).

It's not a harem/dating game.

Shizuka

I wish I got the limited edition while I still could, even though at the time, I was rocking a netbook without a CD/DVD drive. Is there any place still selling them, or am I out of luck?

Dsyndrome

I hate that I keep playing this with a guide for fear of screwing up getting the true ending, should I play without and let the chips fall where they may?

Marche90

I hate that I keep playing this with a guide for fear of screwing up getting the true ending, should I play without and let the chips fall where they may?

Honestly, if you're worried of screwing up, by all means use a guide.

Normally that's how I play all my visual novels, since the only objective I seek in them is to read a good story.

FluxWaveZ

Just finished it, and I really liked it. There were a few weird scenes, but it was great overall and it went places I didn't expect it to. Got the Kurisu ending on my first go and it seems that the path to the true ending is complicated as hell by looking at a guide afterwards. I have 3-4 pages of saves, but I might have to start from the beginning if I want to see the whole thing through.

I've heard about some other VNs in the "science" series that I might look into like Robotics;Notes, though I've heard that they might not have been as good as Steins;Gate.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So, for those of you who played and finished this. What would you recommend most? The game or the anime? I want to dig into this so any impressions and recommendations are more than welcome.

DirtyLarry

Funimation's anime solicitations for September 2014 have been updated and with them, Steins;Gate the complete series on blu-ray.
$38.49 for one of the best anime of all time is a no-brainer. I already own the series but I may jump on this again. A solicitation for Fuka Ryouiki no Déjà vu shouldn't be too far behind now. Hopefully Tatum has a hand in localizing the script this time as well.
Nice. I preordered it when it was first announced at $60, and was going to change my order on Amazon as it was selling for this price at other sites, but thanks to the preorder guarantee I do not have to.

I am very psyched to see it, never have. And I hear it is one of the best anime has to offer recently.

Once I watch the series, I will no doubt revisit this game.

Garteal

So, for those of you who played and finished this. What would you recommend most? The game or the anime? I want to dig into this so any impressions and recommendations are more than welcome.
Both imo, but if you really only want to do one thing, play the VN.
If you're okay with doing both, watch the anime first and then play the VN.
The reason why is because the VN is so much more in-depth and contains thoughts, routes, explanations the anime doesn't have.

I personally watched the anime first and then played a little of the VN (one route). Waiting for the Steam release before I continue.

Awesome, thanks for the update!
Hopefully it's a reasonable price.

I am very psyched to see it, never have. And I hear it is one of the best anime has to offer recently.
Hope you enjoy the anime when you get it. It's a lot less detailed than the VN and only touches the main points. But it's a great ride anyway.

Once I watch the series, I will no doubt revisit this game.
Did you like whatever game you played?

I hate to bump such an old topic (especially bringing bad news), but JAST USA has stated that their contract does not allow them to sell Steins;Gate on Steam. Bummer.

For some of you that have been waiting for that, it might be worth it to just get one of the DRM-free versions, either a physical copy ($31.96 at Rightstuf, occasionally goes on sale) or else the download version for $39.95 at J-Box.

Lain

I hate to bump such an old topic (especially bringing bad news), but JAST USA has stated that their contract does not allow them to sell Steins;Gate on Steam. Bummer.

For some of you that have been waiting for that, it might be worth it to just get one of the DRM-free versions, either a physical copy ($31.96 at Rightstuf, occasionally goes on sale) or else the download version for $39.95 at J-Box.

It sucks because the game would surely get more exposure and more success if it was available on Steam.

FluxWaveZ

The people behind these decisions must be utterly clueless. How in the world would putting Steins;Gate on Steam have any negative effects whatsoever? All I can envision is it would increase the game's exposure significantly and lead to more sales, which I imagine is what they want...? I don't get it. The success of stuff like that recent Clannad kickstarter should prove that there's an obvious demand for games like this to be on the service.

MetalDeer

It really sucks that it won't be getting a Steam release (at least in the foreseeable future). I can't really understand the logic utilized by whoever made the decision to deny it, there's literally nothing that could go wrong. The game (and franchise as a whole) would get a shitload of exposure through Steam, and even in the off chance that it didn't, they would get at least some sales from loyal fans and such. All in all, Steam's a pretty damn big deal nowadays.

The people behind these decisions must be utterly clueless. How in the world would putting Steins;Gate on Steam have any negative effects whatsoever?

I can only give you one reason "Because they are japanese." I already told this in other threads, but I worked for a german anime publisher and contract negotiations between a western country and a japanese entertainment company are the worst.
Usually both parties try to find a solution thats good for both parties, maybe one will have a slight advantage. When we dealt with several anime-publishers, it was always the japanese negotiators that acted arrogant and wanted to have the best position.
If you want to buy a well known anime, you have to buy the rights for a shitty anime no one watches too.
If you want extra materials, maybe making ofs, that are on the japanese DVD/Bluray you have to pay extra.
If you dont accept ANY of their terms, they just laugh in your face and say "Good luck with that!"

You can come with well reasonable arguments why something should be as it should be or why you want the cover to look like that, but that wont work. It always seemed to me they act arrogant and dont want the advice of a foreigner.
Then if you bought the rights, at least around 2005-2008, you had to send them the coverdesign with post. They didnt want to have it digitally and then they take their time (1-2 months) to say "Okay. You can use this cover" or "No. I dont like the Font. Use another one and send us again."

On panels at conventions you heard similar things from german manga publishers.

TL;DR: I can not understand the decision of this, but I can see why that happened and I would just say: Because they are a japanese company...

Well i'm not even remotely surprised....
It's one of those weird things that happen

The people behind these decisions must be utterly clueless. How in the world would putting Steins;Gate on Stehave any negative effects whatsoever?

Oldey-time thinking about pricing where people mistakenly think selling a tiny number of copies at $40 forever is a better idea than selling a shitload at every price down to $5.

Personally, I don't need this on Steam specifically but I'm not ever gonna buy it unless it's on SOME kind of legitimate digital service.

5pb has been known as a pain in the ass to work with for years now. It's so bizarre when even notoriously foreign-averse VN developers (Key, Minori) are embracing Steam now, but 5pb/Nitro+ are so stubborn.

MetalDeer

J-List now has a Steins;Gate "The Best" Edition for $29.95 (and reduced the downloadable version to the same price). Rightstuf doesn't seem to have this version yet, though.

Hmm, what exactly is different about "The Best" edition, if anything?

Every time this thread is bumped, I see ThePeoplesBureau showing off his sweet collector's edition at the top of the page. Still sad I missed out on that. I do have the Steins;Gate: Imaginations of Huke artbook coming in a week or two, so hopefully that'll make up for missing out on the limited edition a little bit.

Hmm, what exactly is different about "The Best" edition, if anything?

Every time this thread is bumped, I see ThePeoplesBureau showing off his sweet collector's edition at the top of the page. Still sad I missed out on that. I do have the Steins;Gate: Imaginations of Huke artbook coming in a week or two, so hopefully that'll make up for missing out on the limited edition a little bit.

I'm pretty sure it's just the little "Best Edition" label on the box art.

Actually, after looking around a little more, it looks like JAST USA redesigned their site, which now allows downloading instantly after purchase, and they're having a week-long sale which includes Steins;Gate. The digital copy from JAST is currently only $22.49! (Note that while the site does ask for your age, the Steins;Gate page seems to be SFW)

Lain

There is something to say about their store update, like how I can't purchase physical copies directly from them, or that my preorder for Hanachirasu disappeared, as well as my orders for Saya no Uta and S;G itself.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Expanding upon the previous statements from JAST, a staff member has commented on their new forums that Mages are specifically at fault for preventing a Steam release. There's some other interesting info there, worth checking out imo.

It's no surprise, but it's still really sad. They are literally letting money walk away.
On the other hand, this is probably a better scenario for the upcoming PS3/Vita release, if they want to build an audience for those platforms for all the other entries in the series. Steam can't provide that unless they do expensive PC ports (and now that Nitro+ isn't significantly involved in the series I don't see that happening). Hopefully they'll allow a Steam release in the future and then everybody wins.

cj_iwakura

On the other hand, this is probably a better scenario for the upcoming PS3/Vita release, if they want to build an audience for those platforms for all the other entries in the series. Steam can't provide that unless they do expensive PC ports (and now that Nitro+ isn't significantly involved in the series I don't see that happening). Hopefully they'll allow a Steam release in the future and then everybody wins.

Well if we get the spin-offs localized, I guess it's worth it.

Top Bottom