• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steins;Gate |OT| Rated M for MADDO SCIENTISTO

daveo42

Banned
I finished up my first playthrough, getting Suzuha's ending in just under 23hours, but with about an hour of idle time included in that number. Now to replay following a guide to get the true ending. That last bit of her ending is kind of messed up.

Edit: After looking at the chart,
it actually looks like its better to play all the way through to the last chapter to get Mayuri's ending, then go back and replay from Chapter 4 for the true ending.

Just got Lukako's ending, and I've got to say. Out of her's/his'/ex-his, Feris' and Shuzuha's endings, Luka's was surprisingly my favorite so far OO.

Danj

Augh, just paid the customs charges on my LE. I see ParcelForce's handling fees have gone up, it's daylight robbery (£13.50 just for the "privilege" of paying them the customs fee).

I also didn't know that the delivery charges are VAT taxable these days too, so that added another few quid on the customs bill as I'd chosen trackable shipping.

I wish HMRC had some kind of arrangement where you could just pay them directly and cut out the middleman.

Anyway the long and short of it is I should be getting my LE tomorrow.

cj_iwakura

Get!
(From RightStuf)
UqzeqWk.jpg

jWyAFFs.jpg

bobawesome

I'm confused, is this a dating sim or is it like 999?

Neither, to be honest. It's a visual novel which means you're reading a lot of dialogue set to still backgrounds and images of occasionally emoting characters. You're able to choose routes in the game by responding/not responding to emails and
using/not using the time leap machine

edit: beaten hard

Is it mostly romance or scifi thriller, I'm assuming the latter.
The way the visual novel is structured, there's one main story line with options to go off on side paths that are focused on romance with side characters. The main path of the game sticks pretty heavily with the scifi thriller aspects. There the romance becomes important near the end, but it's always tied into the plot.

daveo42

Banned
Made it through the Faris ending. I liked it, but of course it felt way off because of how things ended up. Working on the next chapter and man...awkward moments abound.

The way the visual novel is structured, there's one main story line with options to go off on side paths that are focused on romance with side characters. The main path of the game sticks pretty heavily with the scifi thriller aspects. There the romance becomes important near the end, but it's always tied into the plot.
You mean the romance is tied into the plot towards the end?

upandaway

You mean the romance is tied into the plot towards the end?
The bottom line is that it's not a dating sim, it has as much romance as any adventure/fantasy story (Japanese or otherwise) that has romance in some capacity. Not worth thinking about it too much before seeing for yourself.

Static sprites, and mouth animations like Chaos;Head, if you want an example.

Thanks. I will probably buy this but don't want to play it on a computer. These type of games seem perfect for a tablet or phone, so I might see if there's a way to convert it for Android.

Dropped_Off

Neo Member
Thanks. I will probably buy this but don't want to play it on a computer. These type of games seem perfect for a tablet or phone, so I might see if there's a way to convert it for Android.

If I remember correctly there is an Android version that had a fan-made english patch, that was supposedly an updated version of the fan-made patch for the PC version.

daveo42

Banned
Lukako's ending was damn near perfect. The best one thus far. Going back the the moment right before the split decision was heartbreaking.

I feel like I know now Okabe must feel when having to make these decisions to determine a person's fate. It's getting hard...

daveo42

Banned
Completed the game with Mayuri's ending at approximately 35 hours. Thus far the best ending of the game.
So happy and sad all at the same time. It's going to make replaying the game that much harder knowing what happens to Kurisu in that timeline, though it can be undone.

Time to push forward to the last two ending. Not sure if I want to start back at the beginning of Chapter 4 or from the very beginning...

cj_iwakura

So does this open the door for more science? I think the ship has sailed for C;H, but maybe R;N? Have Jast ever done a non-PC release?

Marche90

So does this open the door for more science? I think the ship has sailed for C;H, but maybe R;N? Have Jast ever done a non-PC release?

JAST? Ha. They never have and I doubt they ever will.

Our best shot to get the rest of the science adventure series is that 5pb. gets interested in our market thanks to the S;G sales and they publish it themselves, cutting out the middle man (JAST in this case).
Actually, in this case it would be beneficial for us and it might even get us C;H. 5pb. loves their rereleases. C;H was rereleased in 2012 for the PS3, to give you an example. I'm obviously talking about the absolutely best of the scenarios here, of course, since what I've mentioned is very unlikely to happen.

Acosta

Well, 4 hours in, loving it, some early impressions, few spoilers, mostly a personal impression of characters and so:

-Okabe is the biggest moron in the story of videogames, wish I could punch him. God, sometimes he drives me crazy, what is wrong with him? I'm amazed he has so many people wanting to interact with him. I wonder how I will see him after I have completed the game

-Mayuri's voice is the sweetest thing I have heard in long time. Each time she says "tututu" I have to refrain of going "awwww".

- Some funny moments
he is a guy! hahaha

- Kurisu is awesome
loved the conferentce
and love each time she says "Hōōin" you can feel the sarcasm.

- Really getting into the story, I honestly didn't know about the
John Titor messages, it´s great finding something in a story and then find it actually happened

-Love the art and the music.

-So glad I bought the physicial edition, it arrived today and I have not opened it but I just love is not a DVD format, it reminds me a bigger Japanese SNES box.

Very excited to play this, it has been a long time since I have wanted it (I didn't watch the anime in hope I could play this some day).

cj_iwakura

Well, 4 hours in, loving it, some early impressions, few spoilers, mostly a personal impression of characters and so:

-Okabe is the biggest moron in the story of videogames, wish I could punch him. God, sometimes he drives me crazy, what is wrong with him? I'm amazed he has so many people wanting to interact with him. I wonder how I will see him after I have completed the game

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Danj

Very excited to play this, it has been a long time since I have wanted it (I didn't watch the anime in hope I could play this some day).

Awesome, someone who hasn't seen the anime, I can't wait to see your reaction when you get to THAT SCENE :3

godspoken

I finished up my first playthrough, getting Suzuha's ending in just under 23hours, but with about an hour of idle time included in that number. Now to replay following a guide to get the true ending. That last bit of her ending is kind of messed up.

Edit: After looking at the chart,
it actually looks like its better to play all the way through to the last chapter to get Mayuri's ending, then go back and replay from Chapter 4 for the true ending.
It took you 23 hours to get the Suzuha's ending? Wow, it only took me 12 or so. I just got Faris' ending and I'm at 15 hours. Then again, I don't take the time to listen to the voices or anything.

daveo42

Banned
I cleared all endings in about 52 hours. I will say that I forgot a ton of stuff from the anime and I'm actually glad about that. Really helped with a lot of the twists, turns, and how things end up playing out in the end.

Comments on endings (spoiler):
Mayuri's ending is probably the best ending outside of the true ending as it just felt right. The way the story is pieced together, it seems like Okabe should end up with either Kurisu or Mayuri. How that falls into place seemed to work outside of the deletion causing the shift to the Beta World Line. It was also the only ending that felt like it could work as a true and complete ending. Okabe did what he set out to do and the world fell back into normalcy with only him having to bear the pain of what had happened.

As for the remainder: True > Mayuri > Lukako > Faris = Suzuha > Kurisu

Lukako's end pulled on the heartstrings, while I had a tougher time with Suzuha's and Faris's ends. Suzuha left the future undetermined, but it felt wrong. Faris was sad because Okabe lost everyone but Faris, but at least he had the opportunity to at least make friends with them all again. Kurisu's was the worst only because it was a placeholder for the true ending. I kind of flew through that entire section again to get to the true ending, though I'd like to think that Kurisu's and the True ends are one in the same since they play out the exact same way.

Overall, I really loved the game, the depth of the narrative, and all of the characters. I hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I did.

It took you 23 hours to get the Suzuha's ending? Wow, it only took me 12 or so. I just got Faris' ending and I'm at 15 hours. Then again, I don't take the time to listen to the voices or anything.

Whatever...I just really take my time with the story and listen to all the dialogue...baka...

Today I finished the game and got the True Ending; along the way I got Suzuha's, Faris' and Lukako's ending.
Are the other two good? It will take a long time to get Mayuri's, as I'd have to replay from chapter 4. Is it worth it?

Danj

Today I finished the game and got the True Ending; along the way I got Suzuha's, Faris' and Lukako's ending.
Are the other two good? It will take a long time to get Mayuri's, as I'd have to replay from chapter 4. Is it worth it?

You know there's a function to skip dialogue you have already seen, right?

kyros1226

Neo Member
So I just got the LE Steins;Gate today! I was just wondering if it was possible to sell the download code they gave me? I never used it but i don't know if thats allowed/possible. Loving the game so far!~

daveo42

Banned

Mayuri's is probably the best ending outside of the true ending imho. It shouldn't take that long to skip through to the last chapter to get it. Plus it's a lot shorter than the true end.

Mayuri's is probably the best ending outside of the true ending imho. It shouldn't take that long to skip through to the last chapter to get it. Plus it's a lot shorter than the true end.
For Mayuri's I would have to replay from the beginning of chapter 4 (according to the guide). To get it you need 0/6 True Ending Flags.
I think I'll do it anyway though, hopefully I'll be able to get the remaining achievements along the way.

godspoken

For Mayuri's I would have to replay from the beginning of chapter 4 (according to the guide). To get it you need 0/6 True Ending Flags.
I think I'll do it anyway though, hopefully I'll be able to get the remaining achievements along the way.
You can just press CTRL and use your phone like once every chapter and you'll be at the end before you know it. Unless you reallly want to reread the whole thing.

You can just press CTRL and use your phone like once every chapter and you'll be at the end before you know it. Unless you reallly want to reread the whole thing.
Yeah, that's what I'll do, hoepfully I'll get all the achievemnts along the way.
Does anyone know what do you need for the secret achivement?

Top Bottom