• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stereogum Ranks The Top 50 Albums of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here are the top 10:

Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler
Beneath this spoiler

1: Grimes – Art Angels
2: Kendrick Lamar – To Pimp A Butterfly
3: Carly Rae Jepsen – E•MO•TION
4: Vince Staples – Summertime ’06
5: Sufjan Stevens – Carrie & Lowell
6: Courtney Barnett – Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit
7: Hop Along – Painted Shut
8: Colleen Green – I Want To Grow Up
9: Jim O’Rourke – Simple Songs
10: Deafheaven – New Bermuda

I would have put Sufjan at #1 myself.

The entire top 50 doesn't even contain Mutoid Man - Bleeder. Ugh.

I also think, much like his other work, the new Oneohtrix Point Never requires a period of festering, where it just bangs around your head and you approach it differently. That could be why it's so high (as in, toward 50) on the list.

And the new Kurt Vile should be top 10.

injurai

Banned
Staples placement pleases me. This list doesn't feel any more expansive beyond the limited amount of music that Pitchfork deems "review-able" though...

JCX

I really like Art Angels but it isn't even my favorite Grimes album. Solid list though.

BeeDog

Heh, aside from 11. Jamie xx – In Colour (which wouldn't fit my top 10), none of the albums I've really liked/loved are there. Damn, I feel like the odd one out.

andymcc

Banned
I also think, much like his other work, the new Oneohtrix Point Never requires a period of festering, where it just bangs around your head and you approach it differently. That could be why it's so high (as in, toward 50) on the list.

it sounds like Mega Drive Thunderforce music reimagined for a horror film and i love it.

I've listened to To Pimp a Butterfly more times than I can count, so I definitely agree with that up there.

Besides that, I've only listened to Art Angels and New Bermuda, and that's a few times each. I should give them a few more.

Kusagari

I both get and don't get the love for Emotion.

It's perfectly crafted pop music, but it's too perfect. You never get any real idea of who both Carly the singer and the person actually is.

Leatherface

I do enjoy some Grimes. I've listened to that song "On the Rocks" possibly 1 billion times. It's so damn catchy! Oh wait that's Grieves...forget it! :p

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Wasn't hooked by Jim O'Rourke's album the first few spins, perhaps I went into it with his far more experimental work in mind, which negatively colored my experience. Glad to see his name up there, but I get a feeling that's going to be a pretty big 'Who?' for a lot of people.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Heh, only two albums I have from that entire list are Bjork and Jamie xx's.

I need to sample Oneohtrix Point Never and Grimes, they might be purchases for me.

This year has been brilliant for EPs/ short albums:
* Amon Tobin - Dark Jovian
* Aphex Twin - Computer Controlled Acoustic Instruments pt2
* FKA twigs - M3LL155X
* Two Fingers - Six Rhythms

Maengun1

Yay, list season.

- Divers is way too low

- I like Art Angels, but I don't like it that much. I was expecting Sufjan and Kendrick to run away with most of the no. 1s this year

- no Florence + The Machine :(

- I'm surprised but honestly happy to see Carly Rae Jepsen somehow transitioning into an indie darling, haha. That album is GREAT yet flopped hard on top 40 radio. I never understand the way the general public reacts to pop music, it's always off to me.

These top lists are always funny because I hardly recognize any bands on them. Couldn't tell you who anyone was in that top ten other than Kendrick, but only because he did a song with TSwizzle (i think that was him)

RoKKeR

No Wolf Alice? For shame.

Recognized one album (that I haven't listened to extensively) in the top ten though so I must be missing something.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Sun Coming Down made it at least, and Painted Shut, along with Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit may make my top 10

I both get and don't get the love for Emotion.

It's perfectly crafted pop music, but it's too perfect. You never get any real idea of who both Carly the singer and the person actually is.

yeah

it's not terrible but it just sort of floats on the wave of 80s-inspired bubblegum stuff that the big pop girls have been doing for a while now.

ironic that it's basically emotionless in a year with a bunch of fantastic pop albums, many of which were lower on stereogum's list

but eh, year-end album rankings zzz

I felt Art Angels was pretty mediocre, and Summertime '06 would be top 10 for me if it only had Disc 1. TPAB is going to be topping everyone's top 10 lists along with that Courtney Barnett record and Kamasi Washington's record. But, no Mutant? No Melissa EP? I can understand the lack of Jenny Death, but to ignore I Don't Like Shit for fucking DS2? And no mention of Black Messiah (Yes I know its 2014 but other sites are considering it)?

It's not a bad list by all means. Nice mix of popular picks and some more esoteric ones. Now to wait for Pitchfork's laughathon of lists, where somehow Miley Cyrus will be ranked above Viet Cong.

big ander

oh hey other people remembered that great Colleen Green album. nice

publishing top album lists at the start of december (or even in mid december) remains a fucking stupid practice. off top still-to-come albums include Balam Acab, King Krule, Sunn O))). not to mention possible surprise or last-minute releases. hope Chromatics or like Frank Ocean screw up some lists and make pubs look stupid

The lack of Destroyer on so many year end lists is baffling to me. Poison Season is one of the strongest records of the year.

Also fuck Stereogum for putting Julia Holter at #50, Have You In My Wilderness is easily a top 5 AOTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom