• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg is a PC gamer and he loves Call of Duty

winjer

Gold Member

Max Spielberg said:
  • “He loves gaming, he’s the one that got me into it. He plays games, he’s a big PC gamer and so that’s kind of our bonding point as well.”
  • “He’s like ‘hey what’s good, what new Call of Duty should I be playing, send me a list of the top five shooters, I’ll get ’em downloaded and we can play ’em together when you come over to the house.'”
  • “It’s always a Call of Duty…he loves Call of Duty, he enjoys the campaign. He’s big into story games and I’m always trying to get him to play Uncharted, y’know, ‘it’s Indiana Jones, you’d appreciate this’, and he’s always ‘I can’t do controllers, I only do keyboard and mouse.'”

Who would have guessed that Steven Spielberg, still spiels on PC at age 77. And a fast game like CoD.

BlackTron

Jesus christ Steven get your kid learned on a controller man.

KBM is shit for driving games, third person action adventure, souls etc..

My dad is not really a gamer but the few times he's played games it was KBM (he liked the halo demo around 2002).

It appeared to me like older dudes can accept transferring the skillset they already have from the old office of moving the mouse around the screen to click shit, but the controller is just a "new thing" that looks like learning a new musical instrument that they refuse to take on just for a video game.

Cyberpunkd

”I can’t do controllers, I only do keyboard and mouse.'”
Man Body GIF

I used to think when I was in my teens and 20s that I would be some hardcore gamer in the old people home, but now as I'm 37 and closing in on 40 with a family of my own, I find myself gaming less and less, and I can easily foresee a time where my gaming self is behind me. It just feels like such a waste of time. I'm realizing how precious our time really is and it kind of makes me sick thinking about how much of my life is lost to something so void of purpose and merit. I mean I'm still wasting time posting here so I still am not doing things as optimally as I could, but hey.

StereoVsn

Good for him that he is still having fun with the hobby! I also feel his pain with controllers, as I just can’t do well on console FPS games either, lol. 😅

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I can’t do controllers, I only do keyboard and mouse.
Based kid, someone should introduce him to Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 and Heroes of Might & Magic 3 for maximum basedness.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That’s cool. I’m glad he does. What bugs me is that people never quit film or music. You can play 30-60 minutes of a game and make a small dent in it. Films go on for 2 hours or more and people don’t bat an eye to it. They’re more likely to quit gaming than quit a film. SMH 🤦‍♂️

Tbh has anyone actually quit watching films? Lol is life too short to watch the next Marvel movie?

Last edited:

MarV0

Neo Member
I used to think when I was in my teens and 20s that I would be some hardcore gamer in the old people home, but now as I'm 37 and closing in on 40 with a family of my own, I find myself gaming less and less, and I can easily foresee a time where my gaming self is behind me. It just feels like such a waste of time. I'm realizing how precious our time really is and it kind of makes me sick thinking about how much of my life is lost to something so void of purpose and merit. I mean I'm still wasting time posting here so I still am not doing things as optimally as I could, but hey.
I mean you started a family which will only accelerate your demise so there is that.

In all seriousness the main common remorse of people on their death beds is working too much and not spending enough time on things that bring them joy like hobbies.

No one has ever regretted spending time to have fun.

Last edited:

SaintALia

That's friggin hilarious. Spielberg came out with Medal of Honour and is now a fan of the series that was riffing heavily on that game. More hilarious that he's more of a PC gamer and doesnt like controllers since the first two MoH games were PS exclusive.

I still haven't played those first two games, my first MoH game was Allied Assault. I think EA drove the franchise into the ground, so I don't think it'll come back anytime soon, but it would be interesting if it did and Spielberg was a writer and contributor again.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
No Wii fit for you then? You know how many people gather around the TV to watch John Wayne movies? I visit community homes often and that’s what they do. They’re bored to death if you ask me. It would be cool to see someone on a gaming rig. If I’m in a facility all day long, there better be a handheld next to me.

To your point. Is it an Olympic sport? Are you trying out for something? The idea is to have fun. Now everyone can download an app and have fun on whatever device runs/streams games. The person who thinks it’s “a waste of time” can download a puzzle game on their iPhone. They’re trash talking games, but they’ve also got maybe 1-2 on their phone.

Holammer

I have a dirty secret to share, I bought High on Life (90% off on CDkeys), played it for an hour, then I switched to playing with the Dualsense, the controls for the quick charge felt more intuitive with a controller. Plus the experience was more chill.
Right tool for the right job.

Hrk69

Gold Member
I have a dirty secret to share, I bought High on Life (90% off on CDkeys), played it for an hour, then I switched to playing with the Dualsense, the controls for the quick charge felt more intuitive with a controller. Plus the experience was more chill.
You are a filthy person for playing the way you prefer

Why the fuck would you even do that, it disgusts me.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Reported to rodrigolfp rodrigolfp for maximum heresy

Vick

Gold Member
Playing third person "story games" Spielberg's big into with KBM..

giphy.gif

The thought of playing something like God of War without a controller is stroke-inducing material.

I mean you started a family which will only accelerate your demise so there is that.

In all seriousness the main common remorse of people on their death beds is working too much and not spending enough time on things that bring them joy like hobbies.

No one has ever regretted spending time to have fun.
I think hobbies are healthy, I just don't think videogames as a hobby is one. At best, it helps you keep up some hand eye coordination and using your brain. That said, your physical body is wasting away, you're not really socializing in meaningful ways (in the case of playing single player games, you're not socializing at all) and the time lost can massively outweigh other hobbies. Even other forms of digital media where you sit down and stare at a screen pale in comparison to videogames. Think about it, you can easily burn 8 hours a day playing a single game. Only if you feel like marathoning some TV show can you come close to the time sink wastefulness of videogames, but even then replay value is minimal. I have games with over 1000 hours sunk into, I can't think of a single TV show or movie series that even comes close to a fraction of that. It's scary how much time is lost to these things and I'm finally realizing it now. I definitely won't be letting my kids game like I did growing up.

angrod14

I think if he saw what some games have achieved in terms of cinematography, he would be impressed AF.

He should play Part II. John Carpenter did.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I’m always trying to get him to play Uncharted, y’know, ‘it’s Indiana Jones, you’d appreciate this’, and he’s always ‘I can’t do controllers, I only do keyboard and mouse.'”
Oh shit. My man.

T4keD0wN

The thought of playing something like God of War without a controller is stroke-inducing material.
Ive been playing Ragnarok this week with both, controller for walking around + fighting easy enemies and KMB for challenging content like bosses and menus. The controls feel much easier with KMB there, at least for me, but it could be because i am still learning what the buttons on controller are called as its the second real-time game ive used it for so far, but its nice to be able to use both depending on how relaxing/ intense the gameplay is.

MMaRsu

My dad is not really a gamer but the few times he's played games it was KBM (he liked the halo demo around 2002).

It appeared to me like older dudes can accept transferring the skillset they already have from the old office of moving the mouse around the screen to click shit, but the controller is just a "new thing" that looks like learning a new musical instrument that they refuse to take on just for a video game.

Yeah I grew up on a NES, Megadrive etc. Then I switched to PC when I was around 12/13 or so.

So I guess Im glad I have both experienced

Vick

Gold Member
He should play Part II. John Carpenter did.
Spielberg sent a congratulations letter to HBO's TLOU showrunners.. if only he knew how infinitely better the game is.

But something tells me he'd love Part II storyline.. :pie_eyeroll:

Ive been playing Ragnarok this week with both, controller for walking around + fighting easy enemies and KMB for challenging content like bosses and menus. The controls feel much easier with KMB there, at least for me, but it could be because i am still learning what the buttons on controller are called as its the second real-time game ive used it for so far, but its nice to be able to use both depending on how relaxing/ intense the gameplay is.
Not sure how you could get more than 10% at best of the game's combat without a controller.. you literally rape the controller pressing countless buttons at the same time while frantically molesting the analog sticks in fractions of a second repeatedly to the point the whole hands hurt when styling during certain Muspelheim trials at GMGOW.

As I said it's simply unthinkable for me, Jason Mmcdonald's combat mechanics are obviously fully designed around a DS4.

I think hobbies are healthy, I just don't think videogames as a hobby is one. At best, it helps you keep up some hand eye coordination and using your brain. That said, your physical body is wasting away, you're not really socializing in meaningful ways (in the case of playing single player games, you're not socializing at all) and the time lost can massively outweigh other hobbies. Even other forms of digital media where you sit down and stare at a screen pale in comparison to videogames. Think about it, you can easily burn 8 hours a day playing a single game. Only if you feel like marathoning some TV show can you come close to the time sink wastefulness of videogames, but even then replay value is minimal. I have games with over 1000 hours sunk into, I can't think of a single TV show or movie series that even comes close to a fraction of that. It's scary how much time is lost to these things and I'm finally realizing it now. I definitely won't be letting my kids game like I did growing up.

Games, especially puzzle games, can help combat Alzheimers or dementia. Taking care of your mental health is just as important.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Jesus christ Steven get your kid learned on a controller man.

KBM is shit for driving games, third person action adventure, souls etc..
Or you are shit with KBM. Explain how more buttons and better/faster camera controls are shit.

Denton

That's friggin hilarious. Spielberg came out with Medal of Honour and is now a fan of the series that was riffing heavily on that game.
Well the MoH AA was made by 2015, who then left EA and started Infinity Ward, so effectively same people made CoD who worked for Spielberg on MoH AA.

Vick

Gold Member
Or you are shit with KBM. Explain how more buttons and better/faster camera controls are shit.
Because some games are obviously designed for your hands to surround/have instantaneous access to every option at the same time.

Questioning this kind of stuff still in 2024 is surely interesting..

That's exactly what KBM provides. Tell me how you access every button and the Dpad all the time without claw grip(s).
Alright, post an equivalent of this done with a KBM:

Or tell me how the hell do you control with four separate keys something like Drake in Uncharted 4 where every move/climb/platforming/rope swing depends on full 360° pressure-dependent analog input..

KBM can work (while still not being ideal) on tankish-like third person games like Gears or Resident Evil or games intended to work on PC, but on stuff like Uncharted it will always feel like utter shit because they obviously design third person games like that around the user having full control of the character little movements/speed with an analog stick, among other things.
Everyone knows that, even hardcore PCMR individuals candidly admits KBM sucks for certain games, and have done so for decades.. and yet this is somehow controversial now, and even laughing matter for people like BennyBlanco BennyBlanco . lol

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because some games are obviously designed for your hands to surround/have instantaneous access to every option at the same time.
That's exactly what KBM provides. Tell me how you access every button and the Dpad all the time without claw grip(s).

Last edited:

MarV0

Neo Member
Again hobbies are not meant to be beneficial or make you a better person, hobbies are things that bring you joy. What are the benefits to the human body of bird watching? Marine fish keeping? Building models or train spotting? They are all a waste of time when you put it that way.

Multiple games with 1000 hours sunk in sounds like a bit too much gaming but if you had fun then who cares. You're complete wrong about other forms of entertainment btw. Most people's TVs reach tens of thousands hours before they are replaced.

Movies and TV shows are completely passive activities not only for the body but also for the brain. Plenty of studies show how video games are vastly more engaging compared to passive TV watching and far better for your brain. Multiplayer games are also great for socializing.

You having some kind of midlife crisis that makes you question your mortality and your limited time on this earth is a whole different topic. Just don't bring it out on your kids by controlling them. They are your issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom