• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

oagboghi2

So it looks like the SEC will investigate wallstreetbets, even though they have to admit they have yet to find any evidence of criminality

I think i'll trim my portfolio once i'm back in the green. Get rid of some ETFs and put more weight in my blue chips

Might get rid of the S&P 500 entirely

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG
Starting to think industry specific etf's are the way forward rather than having a ton of money in the S&P.

Yeah it's just too diluted.

Remember a graph I saw that basically showed the the vast majority of mid/small caps would consistently bring it down YoY. It was always the top holders that brought the gains.

Last edited:

GHG

offf.......there goes my earnings play on LIVENT. I'll buy some stocks tomm.

I'm buying tomorrow.

Multi year deal with BMW sounds solid.

Unfortunately unless someone with a blue tick tweets about this tomorrow it won't get any traction. Crazy world we live in where CCIV is valued more than this.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I'm buying tomorrow.

Multi year deal with BMW sounds solid.

Unfortunately unless someone with a blue tick tweets about this tomorrow it won't get any traction. Crazy world we live in where CCIV is valued more than this.

Yah and they have to renew a deal with Tesla. That's why I'm buying them. Bought options for an earnings play but ill buy stock and reduce my average price to around 18 or lower.

Last edited:

GHG

Yah and they have to renew a deal with Tesla. That's why I'm buying them. Bought options for an earnings play but ill buy stock and reduce my average price to around 18 or lower.

Who knows, maybe once the post market sell off is finished it will start to recover.

ManofOne

Plus Member
ROKUUUU!!!!! Killing it as usual

2805279142ba601b1896448363444052.jpg

mango drank

I wouldn't mind this blip at all, but I dumped a bunch of money in on Monday after getting tired of doing a slow drip feed over a period of two weeks to try to catch dips. I've got more money I can dump in but now I'm gun-shy about it. If this is a falling knife, I don't want to catch it. Hopefully it's just a plastic butter knife, though, not a katana (giant downturn).

ManofOne

Plus Member
I wouldn't mind this blip at all, but I dumped a bunch of money in on Monday after getting tired of doing a slow drip feed over a period of two weeks to try to catch dips. I've got more money I can dump in but now I'm gun-shy about it. If this is a falling knife, I don't want to catch it. Hopefully it's just a plastic butter knife, though, not a katana (giant downturn).

Nah too much liquidity in the system right now. What you have to watch as I said before are

Bond Yields nearing 2.0% and inflation. If yields get out of control that's a hard hit on valuations and if inflation get out of control that even worst yet on margins.

Look at the 10 year treasury yield

and Also 10 year inflation bench mark yield.

mango drank

Look at the 10 year treasury yield

and Also 10 year inflation bench mark yield.
Oh yeah, 10 year yield inching back to where it was this time in 2020. Btw, do you have any good book rec's about economic indicators and how they relate to the stock market? This is a weak spot of mine, I don't know jack about economics.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Oh yeah, 10 year yield inching back to where it was this time in 2020. Btw, do you have any good book rec's about economic indicators and how they relate to the stock market? This is a weak spot of mine, I don't know jack about economics.

Hmm a good start would be WSJ Guide to 50 economic indicators that matter.

ManofOne

Plus Member
So I want to do a GAF investment competition. Winner gets a Month GAF gold subscription on me.

So basically I was trying to figure out how to do it while maintaining the anonymous factor.

So here is what I'm thinking

- The competition will run for 1 month
- You have to choose up to max 10 stocks but must have a min of 8 stocks.
- You will have 2 weeks before the start of the competition to research your stocks.
- On the day before the start of the competition we will send a list of your chosen stocks.

During the competition you can choose up to 2 stocks only to remove from your portfolio and replace them with new ones. Once you use your 2 chances, you get no more.

On the day of the competition your opening price is your buy price.

You will be given $1,000,000 each and you can choose how much to invest in each of your stocks.

At the end of every trading day before 12 am I will post the excel sheet ranking the best performers.

If you choose to sell and replace a stock, the stock will be replaced on the day you decide to replace it or the next day opening price. (depending on when you decide to replace it e.g a trading day or a weekend).

Max amount of players is 50.

The purpose of this game is to encourage research and diversification rules.

Let me know what you guys think and if this is fair.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Fucking legend, man. "I am not a cat." "I like the stock." All with that background and an extremely well-prepared and thoughtful statement. He better not get screwed over in any way from all this.

haxan7

Banned
So I want to do a GAF investment competition. Winner gets a Month GAF gold subscription on me.

So basically I was trying to figure out how to do it while maintaining the anonymous factor.

So here is what I'm thinking

- The competition will run for 1 month
- You have to choose up to max 10 stocks but must have a min of 8 stocks.
- You will have 2 weeks before the start of the competition to research your stocks.
- On the day before the start of the competition we will send a list of your chosen stocks.

During the competition you can choose up to 2 stocks only to remove from your portfolio and replace them with new ones. Once you use your 2 chances, you get no more.

On the day of the competition your opening price is your buy price.

You will be given $1,000,000 each and you can choose how much to invest in each of your stocks.

At the end of every trading day before 12 am I will post the excel sheet ranking the best performers.

If you choose to sell and replace a stock, the stock will be replaced on the day you decide to replace it or the next day opening price. (depending on when you decide to replace it e.g a trading day or a weekend).

Max amount of players is 50.

The purpose of this game is to encourage research and diversification rules.

Let me know what you guys think and if this is fair.
Do it! I will win

GHG

Sounds fair and a bit of fun. Watch my fantasy stocks perform way better than IRL and find me crying in the corner at the end.

The trading decisions I make in my head always pan out better than the ones I actually make so this will probably be true for me as well.

Delf

Banned
I bought into RIGL due to their deal with Lilly..

Picked up some QUIK due to their Amazon qualified ability to bring Alexa to other devices.

I'm down like 16% lol

ManofOne

Plus Member
Alright whoever wants to enter the competition. DM me your top 10 stocks and username.

I'll create a portfolio for you and monitor it.

Competition starts on 8th of March and Ends on 9th of April.

Remember you only have $1,000,000 dollars to work with. Only U.S stocks and ill record you opening prices on sunday 7th (so as to remove pre market effects).

Min 8 stocks, maximum 10. You only allowed to remove 2 stocks and replace them over the course of the competition. If you replace the stocks, we will use the end of day price.

Alright whoever wants to enter the competition. DM me your top 10 stocks and username.

I'll create a portfolio for you and monitor it.

Competition starts on 8th of March and Ends on 9th of April.

Remember you only have $1,000,000 dollars to work with. Only U.S stocks and ill record you opening prices on sunday 7th (so as to remove pre market effects).

Min 8 stocks, maximum 10. You only allowed to remove 2 stocks and replace them over the course of the competition. If you replace the stocks, we will use the end of day price.

I'm having a hard time picking my last 3-5 ... most everything I've been watching has sailed on me, already valued way too high for any good movements here.

HoodWinked

Things looking up.

Played pltr all wrong bought at 27 got up to 39 didnt sell there then fell all the way back to 25. Now it's going back up cause auntie Cathie.

Last edited:

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Hoping someone here might have an answer, but what is the best thing to compare a currency against to gauge its stability? I know most places just pin to the US dollar, but I was wondering if there are any commodities or anything else that value has largely stayed the same and are useful for checking swings in currency values.

Top Bottom