• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

ManofOne ManofOne

Thinking you might be able to shed some light on this... SPACs... What happens if you are a holder of shares when the merger takes place? Realistically are you looking at a drop in value?

I'm specifically asking in light of everything going on with CCIV. Let's say for example the shares are priced at $60 when it happens is it likely to hold and increase in value from there or do all the CCIV shareholders at the time of the deal get screwed due to dilution (related to the $10 a share thing?) ?

I'm reading a lot of conflicting articles about this so not sure if you or anyone else here knows their way around SPACs?

I know you didn't ask me but there's no value loss when the merger is complete and the ticker changes. All of the dilution from warrants is known up front before the merger.

I've played multiple SPACs in 2020 and if anything they usually gain value. However, in the case of CCIV, the current valuation might be a bit high and I can see a sell off happening at some point, but that's indepdent of it being a SPAC, and nothing to do with dilution.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

ManofOne

Plus Member
ManofOne ManofOne

Thinking you might be able to shed some light on this... SPACs... What happens if you are a holder of shares when the merger takes place? Realistically are you looking at a drop in value?

I'm specifically asking in light of everything going on with CCIV. Let's say for example the shares are priced at $60 when it happens is it likely to hold and increase in value from there or do all the CCIV shareholders at the time of the deal get screwed due to dilution (related to the $10 a share thing?) ?

I'm reading a lot of conflicting articles about this so not sure if you or anyone else here knows their way around SPACs?

No value loss.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I know you didn't ask me but there's no value loss when the merger is complete and the ticker changes. All of the dilution from warrants is known up front before the merger.

I've played multiple SPACs in 2020 and if anything they usually gain value. However, in the case of CCIV, the current valuation might be a bit high and I can see a sell off happening at some point, but that's indepdent of it being a SPAC, and nothing to do with dilution.

You do lose value if they don't complete the merger in the time frame. A lot of people don't know this. If you bought the spac at $20 on the open market (10 shares) but the SPAC ipo was $10. If they fail and close down you only get back the $100 not the $200

GHG

Cheers guys.

Will likely take profit and then buy back later after the inevitable sell-off. Both transactions might even be today dependant on what happens with it.

You do lose value if they don't complete the merger in the time frame. A lot of people don't know this. If you bought the spac at $20 on the open market (10 shares) but the SPAC ipo was $10. If they fail and close down you only get back the $100 not the $200

I meant upon merger in the time frame.

Last edited:
Yah upon the merger I don't think there is no loss in value as you rightfully said the warrants are known upfront.
However, I do believe I've seen instances where additional warrants have been issued afterwards (see: Virgin Galactic) to raise additional capital.

edit: nvm, I think it was just a stock offering and not additional warrants, was in August

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
However, I do believe I've seen instances where additional warrants have been issued afterwards (see: Virgin Galactic) to raise additional capital.

edit: nvm, I think it was just a stock offering and not additional warrants, was in August

Plus I hate SPACs mostly bc/ its the founders benefiting mostly from the capital raised. Like they can own 30% the company at $1.00 and then the IPO price is $10.00 but the shareholders are risking the most.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I love dips

Sexy Drink Water GIF by Cappa Video Productions

Delf

Banned
Whats everyone's view on ARKK? I grabbed a few on the huge dip below $150 today.
Good long term hold at a good price?

So....are most people in the red today or just me? This is a badddd week so far. :(
it's weird, i seem to have that golden mix of different equities being up when others are down. i certainly didn't do it on purpose but it's been that way for the past couple of months.

Dynasty8

Whats everyone's view on ARKK? I grabbed a few on the huge dip below $150 today.
Good long term hold at a good price?

The ARK ETFs are amazing. They've made me more money than anything else.... Specifically ARKK and ARKF.

But also, don't expect the crazy 200% gain like last year... I'm hoping somewhere between 20-40% for 2021.

Delf

Banned
The ARK ETFs are amazing. They've made me more money than anything else.... Specifically ARKK and ARKF.

But also, don't expect the crazy 200% gain like last year... I'm hoping somewhere between 20-40% for 2021.

Thats all I was hoping. Trying to aquire some long term holdings. Doing all this swing stuff and wanted to finally drop some of it into long term things.

Dynasty8

I am waaaay down today.

Same. :(

Down about $6k this week.... FML.

Question to you more experienced traders/investors. A majority of my portfolio consists of ARK ETFs and other ETFs (around 70% of my total portfolio). The rest (30%) are on individual stocks and occasional day/swing trading. Moments like this where I am down 5-7% overall on the week, do you just hold and stay strong for the stock/ETFs to pull through and go back up? I definitely don't want to panic sell...

ManofOne

Plus Member
Do you have a percentage of your portfolio you like to keep in cash?

Yep depends on market fundamentals. So for like a market in March to December 2020 less than 1.0% in cash.

When fundamentals get a little overblown that increases to 15 % to as high as 30.0% of my portfolio. I however still put the money to work in bonds or money market mutual.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I only have one stock left in RH before i close out my account but wanted to break even but they did a reverse stock split and now its down 6%. Thanks you fucks!

GHG

Fuck me it's depressing looking at the portfolio today.

Logging off and going to do something else.

Starting to think smart day/swing trading is the way forward, having money tied up in shares/etf's long term might not be the one at the moment.

Fuck me it's depressing looking at the portfolio today.

Logging off and going to do something else.

Starting to think smart day/swing trading is the way forward, having money tied up in shares/etf's long term might not be the one at the moment.

Just an idea, my portfolio is a mix of all 3 ... swing trades, long equities and ETFs ...

I'm at a point now where I can deposit a set amount of money on a monthly basis so I can dollar cost average into my ETFS, the other idea is to take any profits from swing trades into ETFs, and keeping enough cash on hand for any 10%+ drops in those ETFs to add more on demand.

Same. :(

Down about $6k this week.... FML.

Question to you more experienced traders/investors. A majority of my portfolio consists of ARK ETFs and other ETFs (around 70% of my total portfolio). The rest (30%) are on individual stocks and occasional day/swing trading. Moments like this where I am down 5-7% overall on the week, do you just hold and stay strong for the stock/ETFs to pull through and go back up? I definitely don't want to panic sell...

Hold your ETFs. I would periodocally review the ARK ones as they're more speculative and risky.

What are you individual stocks? Are they blue chips? (Microsoft, Apple, Amazon etc)

Last edited:
What did well for you today?

PLTR recovered 5%
ITRM is up 7% - speculative biotech
BCRX is up 3% - midcap biotech

That's about it, it's enough to outpace today's losses in my others (FSR, PSTH, TDAC (and its warrants), VTI, SPY, and AUPH)

Also sold 1 covered call on FSR to just get a feel for it

Last edited:
It's crazy how well Fiverr did over the past year. I showed my friend who uses it and we always say we should invest in the products and services we use regularly, if we did, we'd make so much money. He's kicking himself.

Myths

I’d be swimming if I held NCTY when it was like $2.00 back in September... October. Sheeesh.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

It's crazy how well Fiverr did over the past year. I showed my friend who uses it and we always say we should invest in the products and services we use regularly, if we did, we'd make so much money. He's kicking himself.

I made a nice profit off FVRR last year. Bought some more today when it dipped below $300.

GHG

Tough day nothings really gone for me, even managed to sell out of CCIV too early somehow based on where it is now.

I know I said I was going to sign out of my trading account earlier but I think I need to embrace the obsession/addiction at this point... I signed back in an hour later 😅

Top Bottom