• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

GHG

Market is over reacting to a dumbass who couldn’t hedge. Seriously I’ve never seen a more finicky market

You can't hedge in a market like this, there's no such thing, everything is going down. My only "hedge" at the moment are my crypto/blockchain related stocks but even those are not as hot as they should be right now.

It's one of those times when you need to know what you own and why you own it.

ManofOne

Plus Member
You can't hedge in a market like this, there's no such thing, everything is going down. My only "hedge" at the moment are my crypto/blockchain related stocks but even those are not as hot as they should be right now.

It's one of those times when you need to know what you own and why you own it.

You can hedge in any market

GHG

You can hedge in any market

Where is there to go in a market like this? Energy is down, commodities down, real estate down, finance down. I've gone through all of my watchlist categories and there's not a single sector that I'd say was resilient to today.

The only solution I see is to short the shit out of everything in sight.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Where is there to go in a market like this? Energy is down, commodities down, real estate down, finance down. I've gone through all of my watchlist categories and there's not a single sector that I'd say was resilient to today.

The only solution I see is to short the shit out of everything in sight.

That's still hedging. Not everything is down. Consumer discretionary is looking good.

Don't lose faith!!

Reactions: GHG

SpartanN92

Banned
I’m green in the few minutes after hours. I’m back to where I was at the start of the month.

I bought Activision and Turtle Beach while they were near their lowest and that has paid off.

Apple still stagnating and my Oil stocks are just meh right now. I actually kinda hope they keep going down so I can keep averaging down. I have full faith that come summer oil/gas prices will be through the roof.

BigBooper

I bailed out on most companies with the little bump last week. Feeling good about that so far. Still down 1.23% on what I had left.

There's gotta be a turnaround coming sometime right? Enthusiasm seems non existent right now.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I bailed out on most companies with the little bump last week. Feeling good about that so far. Still down 1.23% on what I had left.

There's gotta be a turnaround coming sometime right? Enthusiasm seems non existent right now.

Market is as fragile as baby now. I couldn't imagine the overraction on selling financials today.

GHG

That's still hedging. Not everything is down. Consumer discretionary is looking good.

Don't lose faith!!

Oh don't worry, I'm not losing faith.

It's just that it's getting to the point where I can't really diversify my portfolio anymore and averaging down is no longer doing much!

joe_zazen

How does that work?

new money is not moving. demand has been substantially lowered because of covid. business investment is still recovering. unemployment high, many have stopped looking. Dollar strength is fine. Economy has lots of spare capacity to meet needs. small/medium businesses won't be driving demand. China is competing hard to regain lost market share. possible covid structal changes in economy reducing demand.

Of course, for things like travel and other services could see a big spike in the summer. and housing is kinda crazy. + Americans have squirreled away 5(?) trillion in savings during covid, they could go on a big spending spree. same with businesses. So I am not preaching gospel.

My thinking is that if the huge increases in money supply haven't caused inflation yet, there isn't much coming until the fall that would, eg.the govt starts saving the planet with new mountains of debt.

down 2 orth

new money is not moving. demand has been substantially lowered because of covid. business investment is still recovering. unemployment high, many have stopped looking. Dollar strength is fine. Economy has lots of spare capacity to meet needs. small/medium businesses won't be driving demand. China is competing hard to regain lost market share. possible covid structal changes in economy reducing demand.

Of course, for things like travel and other services could see a big spike in the summer. and housing is kinda crazy. + Americans have squirreled away 5(?) trillion in savings during covid, they could go on a big spending spree. same with businesses. So I am not preaching gospel.

My thinking is that if the huge increases in money supply haven't caused inflation yet, there isn't much coming until the fall that would, eg.the govt starts saving the planet with new mountains of debt.

Thanks for the info. Yeah I've got a chunk of cash building up that I'm itching to put to work, but I don't really want to do that until better discounts are available. I'm thinking of holding out until fall. I read somewhere that big crashes only ever happen in the fall, is there any logic to that?

Well, it doesn’t help when you have a fucking CDC director go off-script and says she’s scared of the impending doom. That’s some Ackman levels of chicken little bullshit right there.

GHG

Well, it doesn’t help when you have a fucking CDC director go off-script and says she’s scared of the impending doom. That’s some Ackman levels of chicken little bullshit right there.

It's bullshit, we've been dealing with this virus long enough and everybody is well aware of how it works by now.

It's about time governments allow people to take responsibility for themselves and determine their own personal level of risk tolerance. So that would mean allowing everything to reopen and for events to take place but at reduced capacity to allow for distancing and then it's up to individuals if they want to go or not.

The real impending doom is the possibility of the economy tanking to such a degree that it might take a decade to recover. It's like they want to ensure future generations (who are in the lowest risk category for the virus by the way) grow up in difficult circumstances and move into adult life with stifled opportunities. It's now getting to the point that it's so short sighted it's mind boggling.

Last edited:
I dropped 6% from 17% up since start of year to only 11% up now. I'm not into quick trades so no "real money" issue for me and I know my larger investments will return and increase. I don't really hedge specifically anyhow, just calculate what to invest in and diversify from the outset.

joe_zazen

Thanks for the info. Yeah I've got a chunk of cash building up that I'm itching to put to work, but I don't really want to do that until better discounts are available. I'm thinking of holding out until fall. I read somewhere that big crashes only ever happen in the fall, is there any logic to that?

i can't predict big corrections, so i stay in. market in 2040 > 2030 > 2020 > 2010.

i do like discounts though.

It's bullshit, we've been dealing with this virus long enough and everybody is well aware of how it works by now.

It's about time governments allow people to take responsibility for themselves and determine their own personal level of risk tolerance. So that would mean allowing everything to reopen and for events to take place but at reduced capacity to allow for distancing and then it's up to individuals if they want to go or not.

The real impending doom is the possibility of the economy tanking to such a degree that it might take a decade to recover. It's like they want to ensure future generations (who are in the lowest risk category for the virus by the way) grow up in difficult circumstances and move into adult life with stifled opportunities. It's now getting to the point that it's so short sighted it's mind boggling.
Yeah, I had the exact same thoughts last night, with a vaccine available and knowing what we know now a year later, it's time for letting adults make their own choices.

GHG

Yeah, I had the exact same thoughts last night, with a vaccine available and knowing what we know now a year later, it's time for letting adults make their own choices.

Yep, because the proposed alternative seems to be waiting until everyone is vaccinated, which will of course mean forcing the vaccine on everyone. Don't see that going down well in most countries.

Yep, because the proposed alternative seems to be waiting until everyone is vaccinated, which will of course mean forcing the vaccine on everyone. Don't see that going down well in most countries.
I get my second Pfizer dose a week from today, wife gets her first today. Excited.

AmuroChan

Add to that the fact it's still unknown whether the vaccine needs to be annual like the flu vaccine. There's not enough conclusive data right now to make that determination.

ManofOne

Plus Member
My anti inflationary portoflio doing wonders now. Keep those yields rising.

Inflation isn't momentary it rises over time. Everything is most still under lock down and you won't see a normalization until Q3.

If you look at inflation right now the components that are keeping it suppressed are travel, medical care, leisure cost etc.

However if you include the components they normally consider volatile, food, building materials, energy then inflation is definitely on the rise.

Once q4 hits we will see.

I aint bothered

W4L47fO.gif

SpartanN92

Banned
I got busy at work this morning so I missed the plummet then recovery back to exactly where I was 😂

I think that’s the key to stock market happiness... Just don’t look at it 😂😂

GHG

I'll take more days like this for the next couple of weeks please, nothing crazy but nice and steady growth.

Also ManofOne ManofOne not sure if you're still in LTHM but BMW released the details of the deal today, its a "multi-year contract worth around 285 million euros".

GHG

This drop in the last couple of weeks has been strange in the sense that things like my pharma stocks and SPAC's have been hit really hard while the tech stocks that I'm stuck with from last month have more or less stayed around the same level give or take.

GRTS has gone back to places I didn't think we'd see unless they released some bad news. It's nuts.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I'll take more days like this for the next couple of weeks please, nothing crazy but nice and steady growth.

Also ManofOne ManofOne not sure if you're still in LTHM but BMW released the details of the deal today, its a "multi-year contract worth around 285 million euros".

I reduced my position by a lot. If I didn’t my losses would have racked up. I saw they signed the agreement hopefully they will reach my average price in a year and I’ll enter more but the market to volatile now

Reactions: GHG

GHG

I reduced my position by a lot. If I didn’t my losses would have racked up. I saw they signed the agreement hopefully they will reach my average price in a year and I’ll enter more but the market to volatile now

I've just held though all of this, I'm confident there's a decent amount of upside with them in the long term. They are getting the right deals in place as far as I'm concerned so I'm confident.

What's everyone thinking on Solar/Clean energy going forward in light of the potential bill tomorrow?

ManofOne

Plus Member
I am raising my S&P 500 operating earnings forecast for 2021 from $175 per share to $180, a 27.8% y/y increase from 2020. I am also raising my 2022 forecast from $190 to $200, an 11% increase over my new earnings target for this year. I would have raised my 2022 estimate more but for my expectation that the Biden administration will raise the corporate tax rate next year.

As I've observed, the economy was hot before the third round of “relief” checks started going out around mid-March. Now it is likely to turn red hot as the Treasury sends $1,400 checks or deposits to 285 million Americans in coming weeks.

I have also observed that the average of the business activity indexes compiled by the Federal Reserve Banks (FRBs) of New York and Philadelphia for their districts jumped from 17.6 during February to 34.6 during March, the highest reading since July 2004 (Fig. 1). This is a very significant development for the following reasons:

(1) Regional and national business surveys. Their average tends to be a good leading indicator for the average of the five surveys conducted by these two FRBs along with the ones in Richmond, Kansas City, and Dallas. The average of the five business activities indexes is highly correlated with the national M-PMI (Fig. 2). That means that the average of the New York and Philly indexes also is highly correlated with the national M-PMI and is signaling a solid number for the latter’s March reading (Fig. 3).

(2) Business indexes and S&P 500 revenues growth. “What does this have to do with S&P 500 earnings?,” you might be wondering. Good question. I won’t keep you in suspense. Previously, I’ve observed that the M-PMI is highly correlated with the y/y growth rate in S&P 500 aggregate revenues (Fig. 4). February’s M-PMI reading of 60.8 matches some of the best readings in this indicator since 2004! The March reading could be stronger, implying that S&P 500 revenues may be set to grow 10%-15% this year. That’s certainly confirmed by the similar relationship between the growth in revenues and the average of the New York and Philly business activity indexes (Fig. 5).

(3) Profit margin. That strong outlook for revenues growth provides a very good tailwind for earnings growth, which will also get a lift from a rising profit margin. I think that the profit margin, which averaged 10.4% last year, could increase both this year and next year. Profit margins tend to rebound after recessions and during recoveries along with productivity.

(4) Bottom line on the bottom line. Let’s put it all together now. I am raising my S&P 500 revenues forecast by $50 to $1,550 per share this year, up 14.0% from the 2020 level (Fig. 6). For next year, I am sticking with my $1,600 revenues estimate, representing just a 3.2% increase. That’s because I believe that the relief checks, besides relieving pent-up demand, will pull forward some of next year’s demand. Also, individual tax rates are likely to go up next year along with corporate ones.

I am projecting that the S&P 500 profit margin will increase from 10.4% last year to 11.6% this year and 12.5% next year (Fig. 7). The result would be S&P 500 earnings of $180 per share this year and $200 next year (Fig. 8). (See YRI S&P 500 Earnings Forecast.)

Analysts Bullish on S&P 500 Fundamentals

I am not the only one turning even more bullish on the fundamentals driving the stock market. Industry analysts also are raising their estimates for revenues, earnings, and profit margins for the S&P 500 for this year and next year. Consider the following:

(1) Quarterly consensus earnings estimates for 2021. The analysts’ consensus estimates for quarterly S&P 500 earnings per share this year have been rising since mid-2020 (Fig. 9). As of the March 18 week, they were projecting the following y/y growth rates for S&P 500 operating earnings: Q1 (20.0%), Q2, (50.1), Q3 (18.0), and Q4 (12.5) (Fig. 10).

(2) Annual consensus earnings estimates for 2021 and 2022. As of the March 18 week, the consensus predicted that S&P 500 earnings per share will be $175.54 this year and $202.11 next year (Fig. 11). Currently, industry analysts are expecting that S&P 500 earnings will increase 25.5% this year compared to last year (Fig. 12). For 2022, they are anticipating a 15.2% growth rate.

(3) Annual consensus revenues and margin estimates for 2021 and 2022. Industry analysts are currently projecting that revenues will total $1,459.08 this year and $1,558.19 next year (Fig. 13). In other words, they are expecting revenues per share to grow 9.4% in 2021 and 6.8% during 2022 (Fig. 14).

Interestingly, their estimate for 2021 revenues growth has been increasing since the week of November 19, undoubtedly reflecting expectations that President Biden’s American Rescue Plan would be enacted early this year and be very stimulative, adding roughly two percentage points to revenues growth. The expected growth rate for 2022 hasn’t changed much since late last year.

I calculate the implied profit margins from the consensus estimates for earnings and revenues. The results show that margin estimates have been improving since last summer for 2020, 2021, and 2022. The latest readings for these in 2021 and 2022 are 11.8% and 12.7% (Fig. 15).

(4) Forward ho! Both S&P 500 forward revenues and forward earnings have now fully recovered what they lost during the first few months of the pandemic (Fig. 16). Both took much longer to recover during the Great Financial Crisis. The same can be said for the forward profit margin. The weekly forward revenues, earnings, and profit margin series are all excellent coincident indicators of the comparable actual comparable data (Fig. 17). All three of the weekly series remain bullish on the underlying fundamentals for the S&P 500.

I am raising my year-end 2021 and 2022 forward earnings forecasts by $5 each to $200 and $210 (Fig. 18). Think of these as my best guess of what industry analysts will be projecting earnings will be in 2022 and 2023 at the end of 2021 and 2022. (See our 2020 study titled S&P 500 Earnings, Valuation, & the Pandemic for a thorough explanation of forward earnings.)

(5) S&P 500 targets and valuation. Even though I am raising my forward earnings targets, I am keeping my S&P 500 stock price targets at 4300 and 4800 for the end of this year and next year. That buys me a bit more wiggle room on our valuation multiple assumptions, which are now 21.5 and 22.9 for the end of this year and next year (Fig. 19). The multiple is currently 21.6.

One of my accounts asked me whether I should lower my outlook for the forward P/E given that I am predicting that the 10-year US Treasury bond yield is likely to rise back to its pre-pandemic range of 2.00%-3.00% over the next 12-18 months.

Normally in the past, I would have lowered my estimates for forward P/Es in a rising-yield environment. However, these are not normal times. In the “New Abnormal,” valuation multiples are likely to remain elevated around current elevated levels because fiscal and monetary policies continue to flood the financial markets with so much free money.

joe_zazen

potus is giving an infrastructure speech today at 4:20pm est.

edit:

EIA (wk ending 26 March)
Crude: -0.876M
Cushing: 0.782M
Gasoline: -1.735M
Distillates: 2.542M

7pt15xf.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom