• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Since mid February I have lost a small fortune, but I am still up over 100% in the last 12 months...

b977605375d4484cc851577a00d20629.jpg

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
giphy.gif

I officially am done with stocks for the year 2021 lol. Im out of money and have lost far more than I was comfortable with.

SpartanN92

Banned
I was up like 1.4% then a fucking massive drive down on my oil stock in the last 5 minutes and now I’m down 1% 😤

Honestly I think it’s an algo glitch but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: After hours algo glitch. I’m golden.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) finished the week on a positive note +1.52% and is +4.59% YTD. See below a breakdown of the eleven sectors of the S&P 500 and their weekly performance. Additionally, see how the accompanying SPDR Select Sector ETF performed from the open on March 22nd to the close on March 26th.

#1: Real Estate, +3.74% and the Real Estate Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLRE) +4.26%.

#2: Consumer Staples, +3.43% and the Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLP) +4.08%.

#3: Energy, +2.50% and the Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLE) +3.13%.

#4: Utilities, +2.44% and the Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLU) +3.04%.

#5: Materials, +2.02% and the Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLB) +2.76%.

#6: Technology, +1.83% and the Technology Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLK) +2.04%.

#7: Industrials, +1.67% and the Industrial Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLI) +2.03%.

#8: Health Care, +1.62% and the Health Care Select Sect SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLV) +2.11%.

#9: Financials, +0.43% and the Financial Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLF) +1.63%.

#10: Consumer Discretionary, -0.78% and the Consumer Discretionary Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLY) -0.78%.

#11: Communication Services, -2.31% and the
Communication Services Select Sector SPDR Fund (NYSEARCA:XLC) -4.24%

longdi

Banned
SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) finished the week on a positive note +1.52% and is +4.59% YTD. See below a breakdown of the eleven sectors of the S&P 500 and their weekly performance. Additionally, see how the accompanying SPDR Select Sector ETF performed from the open on March 22nd to the close on March 26th.

#1: Real Estate, +3.74% and the Real Estate Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLRE) +4.26%.

#2: Consumer Staples, +3.43% and the Consumer Staples Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLP) +4.08%.

#3: Energy, +2.50% and the Energy Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLE) +3.13%.

#4: Utilities, +2.44% and the Utilities Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLU) +3.04%.

#5: Materials, +2.02% and the Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLB) +2.76%.

#6: Technology, +1.83% and the Technology Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLK) +2.04%.

#7: Industrials, +1.67% and the Industrial Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLI) +2.03%.

#8: Health Care, +1.62% and the Health Care Select Sect SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLV) +2.11%.

#9: Financials, +0.43% and the Financial Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLF) +1.63%.

#10: Consumer Discretionary, -0.78% and the Consumer Discretionary Select Sector SPDR ETF (NYSEARCA:XLY) -0.78%.

#11: Communication Services, -2.31% and the
Communication Services Select Sector SPDR Fund (NYSEARCA:XLC) -4.24%

SP500 almost passing it's ATH

All that doom and gloom with rates was really isolated to tech and meme stocks like ARK.

I am kinda worry the stock market drop is lurking....Chinese fengshui points to an Apr recovery?

fengshui-index2021.png

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
Btw it wasn’t Goldman, they were the executing the trans as toon on behalf of a client.

It was $19 billion dollars fire sale

As per FT

“ The Wall Street investment bank told counterparties that the sales were prompted by a “forced deleveraging,” a signal that a fund may have been hit with a margin call, according to people with knowledge of the matter. Goldman increased the size of the deals several times, they said.

Money managers initially thought the selling was concentrated in US-listed Chinese technology groups ahead of a new measure introduced by the Securities and Exchange Commission that could force them to delist from US exchanges.”

Last edited:

BigBooper

I knew next to nothing about the stock market 3 years ago. The more I learn about stuff like margin trading, OTC, etc, the more surprised I am that it was allowed to develop and function as it does. I guess most of these funds are hedged in a multitude of ways to protect against bankruptcy, but the economy seems way more fragile than I would have thought 4 years ago.

I wonder how China reacts to a fund collapse like that.

ManofOne

Plus Member
I knew next to nothing about the stock market 3 years ago. The more I learn about stuff like margin trading, OTC, etc, the more surprised I am that it was allowed to develop and function as it does. I guess most of these funds are hedged in a multitude of ways to protect against bankruptcy, but the economy seems way more fragile than I would have thought 4 years ago.

I wonder how China reacts to a fund collapse like that.

They certainly don’t subsidize it the way the FED has been doing it. The FED been buying assets and expanding its balance sheet on a multitude of products that distort the fundamentals.

They can sell otc for pennies and not at market at times. Shit shady as fuck imo
not to go into loony land but my dad pulled out into 95% cash (he’s a dividend investor), he’s convinced a rug pull is coming and this is part of “the great reset”. I love my dad but just nod along.

ManofOne

Plus Member
not to go into loony land but my dad pulled out into 95% cash (he’s a dividend investor), he’s convinced a rug pull is coming and this is part of “the great reset”. I love my dad but just nod along.

Well it could come, so our dad might not be crazy. Lets take margin debt for example, we haven't seen margin debt in dollar amounts since ever and the low rates make it absurdly cheap to borrow and leverage up your balance sheet.

I myself use margin to trade stocks but only a percentage of my total capital plus I have reduce my reliance on it since the beginning of the year. However, if actual inflation exceeds consensus and forces a change in the FED funds rate, we could see a great reset of the stock market. It could collapse to 45.0% of its current value. Most of these family funds use the market value of their stocks to payoff margins however if stock values plummet it could cause massive amounts of margin calls (like in the case above) which some companies might not be able to cover. Also assuming ( while not massively likely) if the lenders aren't well capitalize to offset losses we could see another 08 scenario.

Next year will certainly be interesting and await to see how inflation plays out over the course of year.

VJcsmcs.jpg

ManofOne

Plus Member
So it’s confirmed Archegos Capital aka Tiger Asia, sold it. Forced liquidation via margin call on stocks. They didn’t hedge and was over exposed on billions of dollars

“ Archegos Capital, a private investment firm, was behind billions of dollars worth of share sales that captivated Wall Street on Friday — a fire sale that has left traders scrambling to calculate how much more it has to offload, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The fund, which had large exposures to ViacomCBS and several Chinese technology stocks, was hit hard after shares of the US media group began to tumble on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The declines prompted a margin call from one of Archegos’ prime brokers, triggering similar demands for cash from other banks, said people familiar with the matter. Traders buying the large blocks of stock were told the share sales had been prompted by a “forced deleveraging” by a fund”

FJnoo44.jpg

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I've heard some convincing arguments not to worry until US fiscal year end, so Sept 30th. that is the way I am going to play it.

longdi

Banned
So it’s confirmed Archegos Capital aka Tiger Asia, sold it. Forced liquidation via margin call on stocks. They didn’t hedge and was over exposed on billions of dollars

“ Archegos Capital, a private investment firm, was behind billions of dollars worth of share sales that captivated Wall Street on Friday — a fire sale that has left traders scrambling to calculate how much more it has to offload, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

The fund, which had large exposures to ViacomCBS and several Chinese technology stocks, was hit hard after shares of the US media group began to tumble on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The declines prompted a margin call from one of Archegos’ prime brokers, triggering similar demands for cash from other banks, said people familiar with the matter. Traders buying the large blocks of stock were told the share sales had been prompted by a “forced deleveraging” by a fund”

FJnoo44.jpg
how the heck did some unknown funds get access to $b of stocks? gme reddit is small change

seems like this is it! market going be spooked by the exuberance!

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
Who are you guys using for your brokerage? Any reason to avoid Vanguard or Fidelity?
In a taxable account, if I wanted to use mutual fund (rather than ETF) I would go with Vanguard funds at Vanguard. If you use ETF's, you can buy and hold Vanguard ETF's at any brokerage account and easily move them without creating a taxable event should you decide you don't like whatever broker you're with.

I currently use Fidelity, and have no qualms about recommending them. I had a Vanguard account in the past, and no issues with them either. Fidelity was better for me when I wanted to consolidate because I already had a workplace 401k their, and Fidelity offers a great CMA account with bank-like features.

Fidelity has a lot more services available (you can call 24/7 [longer wait time nowadays but that should be sorted out soon]).
It has a checking account (Fidelity Cash Management). You can take out money from any domestic ATM without fees. It's easy to transfer money in and out everywhere. And the brokerage allows you to purchase partial shares.
And the UI goes straight to your numbers.

Vanguard on the other hand has a UI that discourages active trading (because the UI is like year 2000 style).
For those who want to keep life simple and just want results, I would recommend Vanguard.

Hence, if you feel completely lost and just want to make life simple, I would recommend Vanguard.
Otherwise, I would use Fidelity instead.

Personally, I prefer Fidelity. Some users get TurboTax Premier for free during tax seasons.
:beer

On the other hand, if you travel abroad a lot and you need to do lots of foreign exchange (or use any ATMs globally), then you should look into Schwab. There's no foreign exchange fee when dealing with foreign currency abroad on its checking account. And its brokerage is also top tier for passive investing (along with Fidelity and Vanguard).

ManofOne

Plus Member
Last edited:
Top Bottom