• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Story Adventure ‘Dustborn’ Announces August 2024 Release, Special Physical Edition Detailed

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Via NoisyPixel

Quantic Dream has announced that the Red Thread Games-developed single-player story-driven action-adventure game, Dustborn, will be released for PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S on August 20, 2024.

The story of Dustborn follows a road trip to transport a package from Pacifica to Nova Scotia. Protagonist Pax is traveling undercover with a punk-rock band, exploring an alternate America and visiting pit stops to recruit new members, build relationships, fight off pursuers, and take on assignments.

Creative Director Ragnar Tørnquist said the following:

“Dustborn builds on our experience creating single-player, narrative-driven projects such as Draugen or The Dreamfall Chapters, and gave us a chance to explore the action/adventure genre. It is, first and foremost, a character-driven game about people and the power of words. Dustborn is all about understanding your crew, their relationships, and how your words shape the world around you. We cannot wait for players to embark on this bonkers road trip.”

The digital release of Dustborn will cost 29,99€/$29.99, while the physical edition will be 39,99€/$39.99. The special edition will feature the following:
  • 2 postcards from key locations visited by the crew;
  • A map of the American Republic, listing all the pitstops the crew has to make before arriving to their final destination;
  • A 32-page prequel comic book about the crew’s life before accepting this risky mission;
  • Stickers of iconic elements from the game.

GJPIFuwaUAADUCQ

Kupfer

Wow, the first thing that strikes me about the game is that the design of the crew hammers diversity into my face so forcefully that it's no longer to be taken seriously. It feels like a long checklist was simply ticked off, so that nobody has anything to complain about.

It seems like there was zero sensitivity shown here, and as someone who could belong to one of the represented minorities, I would probably be outraged by the fact that one is not taken seriously here and is merely used to appear as inclusive as possible.

Well, it will probably find its audience; if such games help someone feel better, they probably have a reason to exist

I really enjoyed Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit, but I don't feel addressed at all with this one.

A physical release is nice though.

Edit; misunderstood, Quantic Dream is only the publisher and not the developer behind this project.

Last edited:

mdkirby

I love this sort of game. But absolutely everything in that seems terrible, including the narration 🤣.

Looks like design by tickbox and committee gone mad, at the expense of anything remotely interesting, and bottom of the barrel narrative/dialogue. Very clunky gameplay and animation too. Feels like a “wish” version of Road96, which was a great game.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Yep still willing to give it a go. I am replaying through Dreamfall again on the steamdeck and it still is as good as I remember it being even with the shit combat.
The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are some of my favorite adventure games. For some reason though I couldn't get into Dreamfall Chapters, maybe because it runs very badly on PS4/PS5 (it stuttered a lot last time I tried to play it). I guess I'll have to pick it up on Steam one of these days...

Last edited:
The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are some of my favorite adventure games. For some reason though I couldn't get into Dreamfall Chapters, maybe because it runs very badly on PS4/PS5 (it stuttered a lot last time I tried to play it). I guess I'll have to pick it up on Steam one of these days...
Its dirt cheap on Steam sale. Should run pretty well now on most pcs. Will try it on the deck whenever I get to it.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The artstyle is cool and the idea of a road trip as well, but after playing a demo, it doesn't look like a game I want to play. It's just too dated, clunky, boring and not very interesting in terms of gameplay. I think you better off replaying games like Life is Strange or Until Dawn which are much more interesting. Maybe I'll give it a try on a deep, deep, deep, deepest sale of them all, or I won't, which is a lot more likely.

Last edited:
THIS. IS. MY. JAM.

I love games about boring frumpy looking fuckers who are what clueless devs think gen z is and who are all quippy and sassy.

It's like dark souls combat but exclusively for my patience in shit characters and my overall faith in humanity.

I can't wait to rubberneck this game in the news cycle!

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Gold Member
Vomiting Stick Figure GIF by CowWolf

The GameRant's review should probably Been only one star if there's almost nothing but negatives?

Pros
+ The diverse cast's goal of fighting back is noble

Cons
- Its dialogue is irritating and never lets up
- The bloated narrative is full of poor or meaningless beats
- Buggy
- Combat is extremely shallow
- Its interpretation of fascism is too simplistic

Kupfer

The GameRant's review should probably Been only one star if there's almost nothing but negatives?

Pros

Cons
- Buggy
Did they edit it?
Right now it is like :
Pros
  • The alternative-history version of America includes some intriguing elements
  • Lots of different gameplay elements keep it entertaining
Cons
  • Clumsy writing with limited character development
  • Fails to stick the landing
archive.today

EDIT: GameRant =! Screenrant. Whoopsie, my fault.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
At least they created a new IP instead of taking a big shit on some existing IP, I’ll give them that.

Still gonna laugh when this bombs though.

LOL and it releases the same day as Concord and Black Myth Wukong. August 20 is officially “ugly character day”

Last edited:

Von Hugh

Gold Member
At least they created a new IP instead of taking a big shit on some existing IP, I’ll give them that.

LOL and it releases the same day as Concord and Black Myth Wukong. August 20 is officially “ugly character day”

There's like a whole spectrum of DEIness between Dustborn, Concord and Wukong. From maximum DEI to no DEI at all.

Frwrd

I gave the trailer a chance. This looks awful in every way.
I managed to watched that piece of shit for 23 seconds... Not a tenth more. I literally said: "fuck that".

Who the fuck comes up with shit like this? All this money could be put to good use, so many talented people trying to put their fucking ideas, dreams out there, and we get these corny-ass titles trying to push a fucking agenda left and right, fuck all of that.

FTFY... you misogynistic fuck (jk! Lol! 🫂)
Keegan Michael Key Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

hey, leave the monkey alone.....
Night At The Museum Film GIF by 20th Century Studios

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
The artstyle is cool and the idea of a road trip as well, but after playing a demo, it doesn't look like a game I want to play. It's just too dated, clunky, boring and not very interesting in terms of gameplay. I think you better off replaying games like Life is Strange or Until Dawn which are much more interesting. Maybe I'll give it a try on a deep, deep, deep, deepest sale of them all, or I won't, which is a lot more likely.

True.

The artists did a great job with this game, especially the illustrations and the UI

DUSTBORN_CREW.png

Though I didn't play the demo, from what I see, this game seems to try to do much more (maybe that is a bad thing lol) like it aims to have some whole combat thing with robots lol I'll take a strong narrative focus with the core of the game actually about that narrative vs being all of the place (I saw some rockband looking shit going on lol)

I love Until Dawn, loved Life Is Strange, want to like this, but it seems to be not as focused.

We'll wait for a sale to do it as a once over or something.

I also feel more games like this need to be PRICED LIKE THIS

Last edited:

Gambit2483

And that is why they strong arm devs to shove this shit into existing IPs (Spider-Man2, SuicideSquad, etc.) , because they know no one would buy it otherwise.

Denton

So the target demographic for that are......activist college girls or something? Do those even play games?
Queers for palestine crowd are the intended audience I think. Judging by the amount of pro-Hamas protests, this game should sell gangbusters in the West!

Personally I will pass, eventhough I loved TLJ trilogy and enjoyed Draugen.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Pros

Cons
- Buggy
If you read the review, the guy is complaining that the game is not woke *enough*.

Top Bottom