• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

There are thumbnails as you move forward. It's actually pretty easy to see if there might be anything that shouldn't be miss.
You're kidding, right? A single thumbnail image don't convey dialogue, atmosphere, tone, and a million other things that can add story, character development, world-building, etc.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Compare to other Netflix originals, as I said in my post? Orange is the new black? Sense 8?

I was not a big fan of Sense 8 overall. I think probably House of Cards Season 1 and Orange is the New Black are the only things on the same level as Stranger Things. I also thought Orange is the New Black got better in the later seasons though it did start strong.

There are thumbnails as you move forward. It's actually pretty easy to see if there might be anything that shouldn't be miss.

This is like saying you skip past a couple pages in a book because you can see that there are words on them but know those words are boring despite not having read them. Its a terrible way to consume any kind of media and is easy for others to ignore you and honestly makes you look foolish.

You're kidding, right? A single thumbnail image don't convey dialogue, atmosphere, tone, and a million other things that can add story, character development, world-building, etc.

I skipped a few second to no more than 15 sec at a time... I think a few thumbnails is more than enough to determine whether the scene is useful or not. What do you think, I just drag through the progress bar?
This is like saying you skip past a couple pages in a book because you can see that there are words on them but know those words are boring despite not having read them. Its a terrible way to consume any kind of media and is easy for others to ignore you and honestly makes you look foolish.
See above. If you really want to compare it to book, I skip maybe a short paragraph at a time and yes I still make a quick glance(thumbnails).

HStallion

I skipped a few second to no more than 15 sec at a time... I think a few thumbnails is more than enough to determine whether the scene is useful or not. What do you think, I just drag through the progress bar?

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at this statement without the risk of them falling out of my head. I don't like calling things dumb without much context but I think I can fully say this is incredibly dumb no matter what you're reasoning. You are skipping unwatched material because you know its boring because the thumb nail told. Think about how ludicrous that statement is.

I can't roll my eyes hard enough at this statement without the risk of them falling out of my head. I don't like calling things dumb without much context but I think I can fully say this is incredibly dumb no matter what you're reasoning. You are skipping unwatched material because you know its boring because the thumb nail told. Think about how ludicrous that statement is.
Seriously. Reading comprehension plz? I did not skip because of the thumbnails, I watch the thumbnails to ensure I did not accidentally skip a important part because I skip.

HStallion

Seriously. Reading comprehension plz? I did not skip because of the thumbnails, I watch the thumbnails to ensure I did not accidentally skip a important part because I skip.

Yeah and? You're still skipping parts you haven't watched because of thumb nails. Its dumb and it makes you look dumb whatever justification you give.

Solo

Common sense comprehension plz? You don't know if what you're skipping is important or not BECAUSE YOU'RE SKIPPING IT.

Also, P.S.: EVERY scene of a film/TV show is important and helps tell the story/develop the characters/set the tone/explore the themes of the work.

Solo

Imagine a shot-reverse shot standard conversation in which Joyce reveals to Hopper that there is no monster, Will is chilling at Grandma's house , and really it's just an elaborate prank to provide some excitement in her life, and you miss it because.....you're skipping it.

i've watched the entire thing twice since last friday and i still don't feel like i'm done with it yet

i spent a considerable amount of time in high school reading through as many Stephen King books as i could, and this show pretty much nails my memories of his style more than anything else i've experienced since

definitely the best Netflix original so far

Yeah and? You're still skipping parts you haven't watched because of thumb nails. Its dumb and it makes you look dumb whatever justification you give.
Ohhh, I am sure that the few secs a women taking Chrismas light out of the box and install it in her house is a MUST watch, definitely! Yes I get that she's working to communicate with her son but I don't want to watch that few sec she install lights and I am perfectly sure that I am not missing much by skipping that few sec. And I would happily skip that without the thumbnails, so what? I miss a scene of a woman stalling lights!
She skip content because if thumbnails! That logic is as dumb to me as skipping to you. Thanks genius.

Haven't enjoyed a show this much in 2 years. Interesting to see what Season 2 will be like given that it's said to be more of a sequel than a straight second series.

BumRush

You can't honestly believe that by looking at the thumbnails on the bottom of Netflix you're actually fully aware of what's going on, right?

Finished it last night and it was great. I legitimately teared up when
Hopper brought Will back to life after thinking about his daughter dying in a similar setup.
I think some of the characters were a little cliche but I think that was the point.

Steve kept screaming Tom's friend from Parks and Rec.

HStallion

Ohhh, I am sure that the few secs a women taking Chrismas light out of the box and install it in her house is a MUST watch, definitely! Yes I get that she's working to communicate with her son but I don't want to watch that few sec she install lights and I am perfectly sure that I am not missing much by skipping that few sec. And I would happily skip that without the thumbnails, so what? I miss a scene of a woman stalling lights!
She skip content because if thumbnails! That logic is as dumb to me as skipping to you. Thanks genius.

You aren't watching a show though, you are actively trying to excise "boring" parts of the show which is even stupider sounding because you're cutting out 15 second segments which makes no sense. You must be constantly stopping, fast forwarding, reversing and so on. That doesn't sound like you're watching to enjoy but to excise any moment that something isn't "happening". You do realize downtime is as important as the action right? Those moments between are just as important as the exciting stuff.

Finished episode 3 last night. This show is something else. The acting all around is fantastic, and the atmosphere is unique. Can't wait to watch the rest but I have a feeling I'll be sad once it's over.

Also, just so I am clear about the story.
11 was a freak with superpowers and Hawkins found her at birth, drugged her mom to forget about her. Then they try to use 11 to communicate with the Underneath but she accidentally opens the gate and that's how it is coming to the real world. Each person that is suspected to be taken by the Demigod has his or her parents drugged to forget as a cover up because they feel responsible for 11? And ultimately she's suppose to be used as a weapon?

11 was a freak with superpowers and Hawkins found her at birth, drugged her mom to forget about her. Then they try to use 11 to communicate with the Underneath but she accidentally opens the gate and that's how it is coming to the real world. Each person that is suspected to be taken by the Demigod has his or her parents drugged to forget as a cover up because they feel responsible for 11? And ultimately she's suppose to be used as a weapon?

the original purpose of the project was to develop El's abilities for the purposes of listening in on the Russians

throughout that process though, they inadvertently discovered the transdimensional being in the upside down, and then when they tried to have El "make contact" with it, that opened the breach into our world

at least that's my understanding of it

You aren't watching a show though, you are actively trying to excise "boring" parts of the show which is even stupider sounding because you're cutting out 15 second segments which makes no sense. You must be constantly stopping, fast forwarding, reversing and so on. That doesn't sound like you're watching to enjoy but to excise any moment that something isn't "happening". You do realize downtime is as important as the action right? Those moments between are just as important as the exciting stuff.

I am sure you know more about how and why I watch the show than I do.

Her acting is very good here. The character though, is your generic worried, seemingly unstable divoiced mom... So if that's what you don't like you and I are actually in agreement.

Otherwise, we are natural enemies.

Then we are enemies. I felt like she really overacted.

HStallion

Not to be mean but you might want to watch the show again because that's not at all what happened.

The town is called Hawkins, the Dr. who runs the secret organization is called Dr. Brenner and he worked on the MK ULTRA project before that. 11's mother was basically given a chemical lobotomy after she started to make too much noise.

They had no clue about the Upside Down and the experiment that opened the tear was a remote viewing experiment where they wanted her to use her powers in a sensory deprivation tank to reach out to people over huge distances but by accident she came across the creature and when she interacted with it, it ripped open the portal to the Upside Down.

Not sure what you're what you're talking about on the drugging parents of people who were taken by the Demogorgon, that never happens.

HStallion

I am sure you know more about how and why I watch the show than I do.

Hey if you want anyone to respect your opinions just pointing out saying you skip parts because they aren't exciting enough or whatever and base this whole assumption on the thumb nail it makes you look foolish as I said before. A TV show like a movie or book or what not is a combination of all its parts and if you just start excising parts of arbitrary reasons then you are destroying the author(s) vision. As I said give whatever reasoning you want but you're doing yourself a disservice and the show's creators.

kurahador

The company did these human experiments on "expanding the mind" or something that started in the cold war era. 11's mother -- one of the subjects who volunteered for money, was pregnant during the whole thing and doesn't realize it. The experiment somehow affected the fetus. After Brennan discovers it, he took the baby 11 and made the mother forget about her.

Ohhh, I am sure that the few secs a women taking Chrismas light out of the box and install it in her house is a MUST watch, definitely!
Yes it is. It's called atmosphere, pacing, and tone. Scenes meant to evoke certain emotions or information about the character or setting or story.

kris.

Banned

giphy.gif

what am i reading right now

is 15 seconds really that big of a waste of time for you? is this how you watch other shows? what an ass-backwards way of thinking

Hey if you want anyone to respect your opinions just pointing out saying you skip parts because they aren't exciting enough or whatever and base this whole assumption on the thumb nail it makes you look foolish as I said before. A TV show like a movie or book or what not is a combination of all its parts and if you just start excising parts of arbitrary reasons then you are destroying the author(s) vision. As I said give whatever reasoning you want but you're doing yourself a disservice and the show's creators.

If there is a part I felt like it drag on, I skip a few sec. It is that simple. Some part could be boring to me and I don't think I disservice me or them just because I do not enjoy every second of it.
-----------
And there are plenties of shows I also skip a bit(including OITNB) and like better. I wonder if some of these "you not watch show" replies still exist if I raved about it.

HStallion

If there is a part I felt like it drag on, I skip a few sec. It is that simple. Some part could be boring to me and I don't think I disservice me or them just because I do not enjoy every second of it.
-----------
And there are plenties of shows I also skip a bit(including OITNB) and like better. I wonder if some of these "you not watch show" replies still exist if I raved about it.

No you'd still be foolish for it. This isn't about you being negative or positive, its about you butchering something someone else worked very hard on and you decide what parts are important without any real proof of that except "thumbnail". As I said this is like reading a sentence in the middle page of a book and going,"Well that looks boring" and skipping the entire page.

-----------

You might have ADD or ADHD.

No you'd still be foolish for it. This isn't about you being negative or positive, its about you butchering something someone else worked very hard on and you decide what parts are important without any real proof of that except "thumbnail". As I said this is like reading a sentence in the middle page of a book and going,"Well that looks boring" and skipping the entire page.

The content I skip is at most a short paragraph worth. And I am within my right to be bored by and skip the part, even if everyone else find it thrilling or important.

HStallion

The content I skip is at most a short paragraph worth. And I am within my right to be bored by and skip the part, even if everyone else find it thrilling or important.

You're still skipping content because its "boring"or some other arbitrary reason without actually watching it to confirm that. I'm not sure how this hasn't gotten through your head how silly that sounds. This doesn't even get into how its doing a disservice to what the creators made.

Edit: Also just because you do something your way doesn't make it valid or correct. I can ride my 21 speed bike upside down peddling with my hands and steering with my feet and no matter what reason I give isn't going to make me look any less stupid.

kris.

Banned
Keep on the personal attack!

Wait is this allow in GAF?

how is this a personal attack? i have ADHD. there's literally nothing wrong with having it. if you can't sit still for 15 seconds watching something without getting bored, then shit you might have an attention deficiency.

or you just have dumb viewing habits.

shit man, i'm actually very slightly offended right now

zethren

Banned

100% of the content is crafted for a reason, and there to fulfill some purpose. Skipping content, no matter how short, is quite literally the wrong way to watch/read anything. You DO miss things, guaranteed.

I really cannot believe what I am reading here lol

how is this a personal attack? i have ADHD. there's literally nothing wrong with having it. if you can't sit still for 15 seconds watching something without getting bored, then shit you might have an attention deficiency.

or you just have dumb viewing habits.
You just diagnose me from a few posts on a Internet forum and decide that I have a disorder my doctors never found out that I have.
That sure isn't a personal attack.
And if you think people have ADHD just because they skip a few sec of video, the majority of the world population have ADHD.

Matty77

i've watched the entire thing twice since last friday and i still don't feel like i'm done with it yet

i spent a considerable amount of time in high school reading through as many Stephen King books as i could, and this show pretty much nails my memories of his style more than anything else i've experienced since

definitely the best Netflix original so far
I get this. And I am ready to show my mother because I figure she will like it and I want to watch it again.

It must be the nostalgia thing. I am never effected, not games, books, movies. No remakes or reboots bother me, entertainment is what it is.

But this, and it's the combination of stuff from style to story type to how it was being a kid compared to now my 38 year old self was 10 again watching this, and it had the same effect on my brother.

HStallion

You just diagnose me from a few posts on a Internet forum and decide that I have a disorder my doctors never found out that I have.
That sure isn't a personal attack.
And if you think people have ADHD just because they skip a few sec of video, the majority of the world population have ADHD.

I won't make any claims like others but I've explained why just about anyone who enjoys cinema, TV, and so on is going to find this foolish and I'm not saying you're a fool but it is a foolish thing to do. You're chopping up works based on your preconceived notions based on a single image. The downtime and the slower moments or the in between parts are just as important as the action, the big moments, and so on. Not sure how else to explain this to you in a way you'll get but as I said before. For example if you tried this method of viewing TV with a show like the Wire you would literally be missing a ton even if you were skipping 15 second segments.

I'm watching about an episode per day, enjoying the slow burn.

Episode 4 was so damn fantastic. Can't wait to see where this goes. Just wish there were more than 8 episodes!

I've seen a lot of comparisons to Spielberg and 80s stuff going in, but after 5 episodes, it feels like a prequel to Fringe. Liking it a LOT and it reminds me I need to finish Fringe.

Yes it is. It's called atmosphere, pacing, and tone. Scenes meant to evoke certain emotions or information about the character or setting or story.
Sometimes I skipped becuade I found the pacing to be too slow.
This show is generally well paced though.

I won't make any claims like others but I've explained why just about anyone who enjoys cinema, TV, and so on is going to find this foolish and I'm not saying you're a fool but it is a foolish thing to do. You're chopping up works based on your preconceived notions based on a single image. The downtime and the slower moments or the in between parts are just as important as the action, the big moments, and so on. Not sure how else to explain this to you in a way you'll get but as I said before. For example if you tried this method of viewing TV with a show like the Wire you would literally be missing a ton even if you were skipping 15 second segments.

You make it sound like I skipped every downtime moment in the show.

And if you think not skipping anything is the only way one right way to enjoy cinema, I have nothing else to say other than "I disagree with you".

HStallion

Sometimes I skipped becuade I found the pacing to be too slow.
This show is generally well paced though.

You make it sound like I skipped every downtime moment in the show.

And if you think not skipping anything is the only way one right way to enjoy cinema, I have nothing else to say other than "I disagree with you".

Its still arbitrary whether you agree to disagree or not. Its like listening to an album, skipping segments of a song you don't like because you listened to a one second clip and decided that part wasn't worth it to listen to.

-griffy-

Banned
I've seen a lot of comparisons to Spielberg and 80s stuff going in, but after 5 episodes, it feels like a prequel to Fringe. Liking it a LOT and it reminds me I need to finish Fringe.

It's definitely got some Fringe stuff going on, feels like the follow up I've been waiting for since Fringe ended.

MaKTaiL

Watching Breaking Bad with you should be REALLY fun.

It's definitely got some Fringe stuff going on, feels like the follow up I've been waiting for since Fringe ended.
I've only seen a little over two seasons but the (spoilers for folks who haven't seen Fringe)
LSD experiments, bath tripping, alternate dimensional stuff and strange beings
as a major focus all fall right in line with each other.

Top Bottom