• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

mm04

This is just about the funniest thing I've read all week.

It kinda reminds me of the gaming side way back when I used to visit there and a site like IGN would review a game without actually finishing it. Those were good times (that are better left as memories and not experienced again!).

Don't say you don't like the acting when you actually don't like the character. Winona nailed the character she was given.

I like the character actually. I'm all about nervous wreck characters but Winona just isn't convincing to me. Sorry man, I'm still having a blast though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It kinda reminds me of the gaming side way back when I used to visit there and a site like IGN would review a game without actually finishing it. Those were good times (that are better left as memories and not experienced again!).

Not much has changed for a lot of videogame reviewers.

Timeaisis

Finished episode 4. Holy shit I love this show.

I think Winona is great. She nails neurotic mother on the edge really really well. The pacing is ON THE FUCKING POINT. Which is so refreshing seeing as "regular" TV is all about the tease these days. Every episode seems to be about something and, after watching it, I can't wait to see the next one (but I don't, because I gotta pace myself :p). Writing and acting is good to. I've heard some criticisms of it being tropey or whatnot, but it brings together a lot of different ideas and synthesizes them into something new.

Anyway, halfway through and I absolutely love this show. Can't wait to finish it.

Matty77

I've only seen a little over two seasons but the (spoilers for folks who haven't seen Fringe)
LSD experiments, bath tripping, alternate dimensional stuff and strange beings
as a major focus all fall right in line with each other.
Fringe is one of my favorite shows but not being from the 80's I didn't think about it, but now that you two say it it's true, and I cannot unsee the parallels.

HStallion

There was actually a family whose kid disappeared for several days suddenly and seeing the mothers reaction, Winona is actually pretty restrained. The women was a babbling crying mess who could barely stand or function, not that I blame her, but at least Joyce is proactive about finding her son when no one believes he is a live.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
This show has a lot of issues and really no original thoughts or ideas whatsoever. HOWEVER, I found it immensely enjoyable anyway, hahaha. Loved it.

Matty77

Yeah not only do some people legit crack when something like this happens, but Joyce was also shown through both portrayal and dialogue to always have been unstable with a family background of mental illness, plus when she finds out the truth anyone she told would not only assume it's crazy but judge her based on her history.

Honestly I have always thought Ryder was a dreadful actress even in the 80's and even in movies I love, but she was great in this, probably the one time I am glad she was in something.

BumRush

This show has a lot of issues and really no original thoughts or ideas whatsoever. HOWEVER, I found it immensely enjoyable anyway, hahaha. Loved it.

I feel like at this stage of art, very few things are truly original (since most things borrow or were inspired by something that came before it). With that being said, the pieces of this show come together to create something "fresh" if not wholly original.

krossj

Enjoyable watch. Cool and surprising how the managed to mix so many different things in a convincing way.

Music was great.

BSsBrolly

Banned
I can't believe people think Ryder nailed her part. I feel like she was a step above Mark Walberg's performance in The Happening... To put it lightly, she phoned it in.

kris.

Banned
Clearly Ryder's performance is divisive, but I think we can all agree that Hopper is amazing. Best performance in the series IMO.

idk, the girl that played Eleven was phenomenal. all of the kids damn good.

as far as Winona is concerned, i thought she was fine. played the already-stressed mother who's losing it over her son's disappearance quite well.

mm04

Clearly Ryder's performance is divisive, but I think we can all agree that Hopper is amazing. Best performance in the series IMO.

It was so nice seeing him in a role where he's on the right side of the law, for once. Dude was a bad ass. And I really enjoyed the 3 arcs and how eventually they all converged to try and save Will. Adult arc, teenager arc and kid arc all worked for me.

On the Winona performance, I thought she was fine as well. My sister loved it. I don't know if it's because of her perspective, a mother of 3 teenagers and how she'd react or what. But I imagine that could play a part in relating to her madness.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Started the show late last night. Was up until 4am, goddammit!

This show is great so far. Really loving the music too. Ryder is fantastic in it.

Also I had to laugh at Barb. Poor Barb.

HStallion

Started the show late last night. Was up until 4am, goddammit!

This show is great so far. Really loving the music too. Ryder is fantastic in it.

Also I had to laugh at Barb. Poor Barb.

I loved how they turned that horror movie trope on its head.

I can't believe people think Ryder nailed her part. I feel like she was a step above Mark Walberg's performance in The Happening... To put it lightly, she phoned it in.

Phoned it in is the completely wrong thing to call her performance even if you think it was bad. Phoned in performances are dull or the actor is just going through the motions, which is not something I'd call Ryder here. You might call her over the top or hammy, if you thought it was bad, but those are not interchangeable with phoning it in.

Personally I thought she was great. She had a lot to pull off with that character. A lot of places she had to go, both high and low. And she did it very well.

golem

It was so nice seeing him in a role where he's on the right side of the law, for once. Dude was a bad ass. And I really enjoyed the 3 arcs and how eventually they all converged to try and save Will. Adult arc, teenager arc and kid arc all worked for me.

Yeah the show was really well plotted.. pretty much everything the characters did make sense and the arcs worked really well. Awesome show

Jarmel

Banned
It's funny hearing people complain about Winona Ryder's character. My mother would be exactly like that in that sort of situation and she herself mentioned that. I found the mother's reactions to be very believable.

Dinskugga

Just finnished Episode 1. Damn this is great! . If i havent had to go to work tomorrow. I should have watch the rest of the episodes in a row now. So pumped too see more

And i must have the soundtrack. Soo soo good

It's funny hearing people complain about Winona Ryder's character. My mother would be exactly like that in that sort of situation and she herself mentioned that. I found the mother's reactions to be very believable.

Agreed and it cannot be easy acting that sort of thing to the extent that she's asked to do in the show.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Phoned it in is the completely wrong thing to call her performance even if you think it was bad. Phoned in performances are dull or the actor is just going through the motions, which is not something I'd call Ryder here. You might call her over the top or hammy, if you thought it was bad, but those are not interchangeable with phoning it in.

Personally I thought she was great. She had a lot to pull off with that character. A lot of places she had to go, both high and low. And she did it very well.

I don't feel like she was even trying. I.e. Phoned in. That's just how I felt watching her. Then again, I can't remember watching something she was in so maybe she's just a terrible actress? Idk, her scenes took me out of the experience. Especially compared to the Sheriff. He was fantastic.

Finished, with a few skips.
Meh plot...
Stereotypical characters which is a step down from other Netflix originals.
Ok horror.
Good music.
Great cast, Winona Ryder is ACE.

Basically the opposite for me.

I agree the plot is not anything to write home about, but it does its job well. But the horror is great (it's more of a suspense than horror actually), the music is INCREDIBLE and the characters are awesome, except for Ryder. I thought she was too whiney and her character didn't really grow on me at all.

Edit:

I agree whole heartedly.

Oh editing again, how do you guys rank Netflix's originals now? For me it would be something like this (these are the only ones I've watched):

1. Stranger Things
2. Daredevil S01
3. Sense8
4. Jessica Jones

All of them are at least B+ for me though. They are making insanely good content.

HStallion

Since its only a first season I'll compare it to other first seasons.

1. Stranger Things.
2. Houes of Cards
3. Bojack Horseman
4. Orange is the New Black
5. Daredevil

The best thing Netflix has put out though has to be Beasts of Nation though. That movie devastated me the core. Its a shame Cary Fukunaga won't be directing the It movie, he would have knocked that shit out of the stratosphere.

flyover

Don't say you don't like the acting when you actually don't like the character. Winona nailed the character she was given.

This is probably more the way I feel. I find this kind of character borderline unwatchable in most shows (even if I sympathize 100% with how/why they feel the way they do). Add to that, she often has to carry entire scenes by herself, with probably the most underdeveloped major character on the show.

She had the toughest job of anyone on the show. And though I never completely cottoned to her character, for Ryder to be onscreen as much as she is and not ruin it is actually an accomplishment, to me. (I also have to say, and this likely falls more on me, I never forgot for a moment I was watching Winona Ryder. Heck, even now, it took me a minute to remember her character's name.)

Top Bottom