• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

VARIA

Really dig the show even though it does make some silly, convenient, plot writing like
letting the sherrif go in the CIA? lab and view security footage. What type of top secret installation is this? Or when Nancy Wheeler pics up the pieces of the shredded photos and somehow picked up all the pieces to her friends photograph. lol

And while I do really like the synth score, it sounds too low during the show compared to something like say, The Knick where you FEEL the music emphasized. The synth score in Stranger Things could use better sound mixing.

Really dig the show even though it does make some silly, convenient, plot writing like
letting the sherrif go in the CIA? lab and view security footage. What type of top secret installation is this?

And while I do really like the synth score, it sounds too low during the show compared to something like say, The Knick where you FEEL the music emphasized. The synth score in Stranger Things could use better sound mixing.
It's just the Department of Energy, what do they have to hide?

Aka it's a facade. That's them maintaining their cover as a regular government agency.

-griffy-

Banned
The moment
Steve dropped his douche friends I was like aite Steve cool now, though I'd bank heavy on Nancy getting with Jonathan next go-round

I really enjoyed that,
cause I actually liked him before that and was bummed they turned him into the "mean boyfriend" character, and then happy they ended up subverting that in the end.

rSpooky

strangerwvkzy.png

Enjoyed the soundtrack too much. No official release for the licensed tracks (for now) so I clobbered all the tracks together for my own unofficial compilation. Great listening!
This is great!

thenexus6

Just finished it. Awesome show.

I can not stress enough how good the opening titles are. Might seem like a minor thing but the animation, font, zooming out / fading in, music are absolutely perfect.

I really want to get the soundtrack, the amount its available i'm going to buy it. I didn't think some of the music / synth stuff suited the show that much, but its really good as just music.

Great cast, but man the girl that played Eleven was dynamite. She's going to have a fantastic career I hope.

VARIA

Episode 3 spoilers:

It's just the Department of Energy, what do they have to hide?

Aka it's a facade. That's them maintaining their cover as a regular government agency.

I just found it odd that they (The Sheriff and his goons) already knew it was a top secret/suspicious laboratory before they entered and one guy even believed military weapons were being made there (Star Wars program/Space Laser). We then have the Military Police guarding the installation and no one is allowed on the premises without a clearance, but he manages to sweet talk his way inside where everyone is walking around in lab coats, working behind bio-hazard curtains and they don't even bother to cover up what they're doing with a lie, they just say "You're asking the wrong guy." They then allow him to check out their tampered surveillance tapes. Very convenient is all.

Still ridiculously enjoyable. The whole cast is great.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Episode 3 spoilers:

I just found it odd that they (The Sheriff and his goons) already knew it was a top secret/suspicious laboratory before they entered and one guy even believed military weapons were being made there (Star Wars program/Space Laser). We then have the Military Police guarding the installation and no one is allowed on the premises without a clearance, but he manages to sweet talk his way inside where everyone is walking around in lab coats, working behind bio-hazard curtains and they don't even bother to cover up what they're doing with a lie, they just say "You're asking the wrong guy." They then allow him to check out their tampered surveillance tapes. Very convenient is all.

Still ridiculously enjoyable. The whole cast is great.

I'm actually not sure why this stood out to you as odd?
Everyone knew about the place as some kind of government facility that did all kinds of secret work even before the events of the series, it didn't just show up there overnight it seems like its been there for years. It would have seemed far more suspicious if they had refused to let him enter when they were still searching for Will. So they let him in, let him wander around and then fed him some BS they thought would send him on his way

I'm actually not sure why this stood out to you as odd?
Everyone knew about the place as some kind of government facility that did all kinds of secret work even before the events of the series, it didn't just show up there overnight it seems like its been there for years. It would have seemed far more suspicious if they had refused to let him enter when they were still searching for Will. So they let him in, let him wander around and then fed him some BS they thought would send him on his way

Exactly. We're talking about a sheriff looking for a missing kid the whole community is worried about. Refusing him access would only have raised more suspicion.

mr.beers

Series Spoilers:
Maybe I missed it but did they do a wrap on Barbra? She was dead in the Upside Down I know but did they have a funeral? Let her parents know? It felt weird she was thrown to the wayside at the end

A few minuscule issues:
Nancy breaking a lock with a rock and CPR I feel is never done right in shows/movies.

HStallion

Series Spoilers:
Maybe I missed it but did they do a wrap on Barbra? She was dead in the Upside Down I know but did they have a funeral? Let her parents know? It felt weird she was thrown to the wayside at the end

That's what you get for trying to stop young love.

letting the sherrif go in the CIA? lab and view security footage. What type of top secret installation is this? Or when Nancy Wheeler pics up the pieces of the shredded photos and somehow picked up all the pieces to her friends photograph. lol

Tell me about it. The sound mixing was terrible. I had to turn my receiver up way higher than anything else and still the talking was too quiet.

Jimothy

Pretty good, although not as revelatory as the consensus seems to be. This is basically what Super 8 should have been, and hopefully JJ feels a little embarrassed at being so outclassed at his own game.

kiguel182

I think you just got it wrong. This show, since it was first announced, was supposed to be a kind of homage to 80s sci-fi/stephen king classics and it is exactly that. It doesn't want to bring anything new. It wanted to revisit old marvels and bring back that feeling of adventure, mystery and awe those classics had. And it was perfect in that regard.

This is seriously the best sci-fi stuff I watched in many many years, hell I don't even know how to measure this. It was fantastic.

Sure, it's obvious it's an homage. But it not bringing anything new to the table and feeling just like a mishmash of tropes and very cliche characters seriously brought it down to me.

Sure, it's well executed but for me it never elevated past that. A well executed homage, nothing more.

kiguel182

Well for one thing, I don't remember a TV series having a full-on synthwave score, ever.

The Knick does that, as mentioned, but that was also clearly meant to invoke that nostalgia feeling and it's done in movies. It's not new just because it's an 8 episode series. At least it didn't make it feel new to me.

HStallion

Sure, it's obvious it's an homage. But it not bringing anything new to the table and feeling just like a mishmash of tropes and very cliche characters seriously brought it down to me.

Sure, it's well executed but for me it never elevated past that. A well executed homage, nothing more.

Its semi unrelated but I really dislike when "tropes" are used as a negative against something. Everything from Shakespeare to Michael Bay has tropes because tropes are just ideas that are repeated through out fiction and media.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Pretty good, although not as revelatory as the consensus seems to be. This is basically what Super 8 should have been, and hopefully JJ feels a little embarrassed at being so outclassed at his own game.
Just finished the series, and my first thought was, "So, that's what Super 8 was supposed to be."

I've got nit picks, but enjoyed it a lot. The kids were great, and I hope the numbers are so good that they get to a sequel before they're too old. Though, I can see them as Lost Boys aged teens dealing with
a monster infected friend.

PsychBat!

Banned
Saw the entire thing. Even though I spoiled myself, that didn't take away my enjoyment or suspense of what was going to happen next.

I loved it. At first some characters annoyed the shit out of me but most grew on me. Has there been a season 2 confirmation?

HStallion

Saw the entire thing. Even though I spoiled myself, that didn't take away my enjoyment or suspense of what was going to happen next.

I loved it. At first some characters annoyed the shit out of me but most grew on me. Has there been a season 2 confirmation?

The Duffer brothers are apparently talking to Netflix about season 2 and with how incredibly well received the show is, its almost assured.

El Topo

Just finished it. Absolutely fantastic show. I want a second season, but I kind of hope
it is maybe set a few years after this season.

Solo

Just finished the finale. Goddamn. It wrecked me. What an emotional uppercut.

Everything about the show from the hook to the look to the acting, writing, score, and overall themes and character arcs were so completely on point and scratched a deep itch that I didn't even know I had.

Best thing Netflix has ever made. I know they're talking about S2, but I'd prefer it if Stranger Things stood as a one season treasure.

The Knick does that, as mentioned, but that was also clearly meant to invoke that nostalgia feeling and it's done in movies. It's not new just because it's an 8 episode series. At least it didn't make it feel new to me.

Who even cares?

Not everyone is chasing after novelty. And for some this IS novel.

Just finished the finale. Goddamn. It wrecked me. What an emotional uppercut.

Everything about the show from the hook to the look to the acting, writing, score, and overall themes and character arcs were so completely on point and scratched a deep itch that I didn't even know I had.

Best thing Netflix has ever made. I know they're talking about S2, but I'd prefer it if Stranger Things stood as a one season treasure.

I'd like it if they went into the 90's for S2, and the 2000's for S3. After that it will have probably ran it's course so I'd be fine with that idea. Just don't use the same characters.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Three episodes in and this show is absolutely incredible.

Also, Winona looks a lot like Patricia Heaton.

Feltrol

Banned
Just finished episode 3:
Dem feels...

I hope
Steve and his gang, as well as that Dr. Brenner get what they deserve
. Amazing show so far!

Finished episode 1, loving the aesthetic it's got a 80's spielberg-esque look to it. As for the show itself im liking it so far. Reminds me of the goofy 80's sci-fis back in the day with some added charm to it.

PS I still have a crush on Winona Ryder.

Sadist

Binged it in two days. Loved it. It's like Goonies meets Twilight Zone with some John Carpenter in it.

Dustin is awesome. Hopper is cool.

Finished, with a few skips.
Meh plot...
Stereotypical characters which is a step down from other Netflix originals.
Ok horror.
Good music.
Great cast, Winona Ryder is ACE.

Is there an app yet to find someone to watch spooky shit with you? I'm on ep. 4 now and I just can't. I should probably just wait until daytime to watch this, but it's too good.

edit: i'm reading gaf while watching this show out of the corner of my eyes. it's the only way i can. some of this is too much for me.

HStallion

Meh plot...
Ok horror.
Good music.

Compared to what? Marvel shows? I'll take the great children actors over what most of DD and JJ gave us, even if they can fit into easy stereotypes.

Edit: I also say, like the complaint about "tropes", I find just stating stereotypes isn't the greatest criticism. Its like saying you're bored by something and nothing else. A stereotype or archtype are not bad things and are present in just about all of fiction. I find the show raises well above its base components, many of which are incredibly strong on their own. The music is fitting and great, the actors from the children to the adults sell it and have great chemistry, etc.

Meh plot...
Ok horror.
Good music.

I couldn't disagree more with ALL of your points. Everything was great in this EXCEPT Winona Ryder.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm only on episode 1 but I'm digging this quite a bit. Reminds me of Super 8 with its good usage of child actors. Winona is doing a great job too.

All the children of the 80s are grown up and giving us great sci-fi. This show is a nice companion piece to the comic Paper Girls, which is also bonkers and very 80s.

BSsBrolly

Banned
What's with all you guys saying Winona Rider nailed it? I really felt she was the weak link. Her scenes tended to take me out of it...

HStallion

Winona was great.
Lady lost her son to supernatural forces and everyone from her son to her dirtbag husband to the cops think she's off her rocker despite getting "signs" from beyond that he is very much alive and in serious danger. Oh yeah and she get attacked by monsters, so on and so forth.

This on top of the fact her and her family seem to be the town outcasts or pariahs. Her husband was a known scumbag who left the family and it seems her family is known for having mental health issues. So they start the series on the sidelines and often looked at funny by the rest of the town, called creeps and looked down on by the rest of the community.

So yeah her performance was pretty believable and well done if you ask me. Not too mention people act like all she did was scream and yell.
That's like a couple episodes and soon she's helping out and actively trying to find her son with the help of the others. She's in fact rather proactive in trying to do something about her son. The lady travels to a parallel universe opened up by a shady government group that openly kills people with no guarantee of a way back or that they won't be eaten by monsters.
Yeah she's a pretty kick ass mom if emotional but I think the emotion was justified.

Solo

You wanna talk about who nailed it? For me it was David Harbour's Hop. The MVP of the show (with the kids being a close second). He made the show so legit for me

BumRush

Through episode 4 now and the show just keeps getting...better. Somehow.

The plot is great and the soundtrack is soooo good...but what's blowing me away is the acting, across the board. There isn't a bad performance on the show.

Zocano

Eeeeeeeeeh. It was 'ight.

There was only one time I ever gave two shits about child characters and that was The Wire Season 4. Don't think I'll ever see child characters as impactful as those kids. And while there were a couple of funny moments, I just didn't care and wasn't invested in anything to do with the Stranger Things kids. Unfortunately, the whole main crux has to do with them so I just sorta have a "eh" feel on most of the show.

I think it's just the typical Spielberg-ian tropes are something I'll never ever *ever* care for.

I like the gloomy sci-fi horror feel and the aesthetic of the other dimension but with 60% of the show about the kids, I just couldn't get invested. Cop man and Winona Ryder and Johnathan were fine.

And since a lot are comparing this to other Netflix shows, nothing has yet to top Vincent D'onofrio's Wilson Fisk. Absolute genius every line of it.

XOMTOR

What's with all you guys saying Winona Rider nailed it? I really felt she was the weak link. Her scenes tended to take me out of it...

I felt her part could have been better if her
hysteria had ramped up a little more slowly; she just went full on crazy as soon as she found out Will was missing.
Felt way too over the top in the beginning but as time progressed, it felt justified.

I felt her part could have been better if her
hysteria had ramped up a little more slowly; she just went full on crazy as soon as she found out Will was missing.
Felt way too over the top in the beginning but as time progressed, it felt justified.
I got the impression that she was teetering on the edge from the beginning. She is a single mom, and the family stressed enough about money that the oldest soon is working late to make ends meet . An event like this would send someone in her position over the edge. I also liked that fact that she is completely cognizant of the fact that what she is doing looks crazy from the outside.

Toa TAK

Banned
Meh plot...
Ok horror.
Good music.
Why do people skip?

That's like fast forwarding parts of a movie you're seeing for the first time.

HStallion

I got the impression that she was teetering on the edge from the beginning. She is a single mom, and the family stressed enough about money that the oldest soon is working late to make ends meet . An event like this would send someone in her position over the edge. I also liked that fact that she is completely cognizant of the fact that what she is doing looks crazy from the outside.

I enjoyed that as well. She calls out several people who call her crazy and she's like,"No shit! I wanna save my son!"

Why do people skip?

Yeah I don't get this either, just read a wikipedia article at this point or the episode recaps on a thousand sites if you're going to start skipping things.

Just finished episode 4.

So good that it's hard to stop watching and pace it since it only has 8 episodes.

Enjoying this show a LOT more than anticipated.

Compared to what? Marvel shows? I'll take the great children actors over what most of DD and JJ gave us, even if they can fit into easy stereotypes.

Edit: I also say, like the complaint about "tropes", I find just stating stereotypes isn't the greatest criticism. Its like saying you're bored by something and nothing else. A stereotype or archtype are not bad things and are present in just about all of fiction. I find the show raises well above its base components, many of which are incredibly strong on their own. The music is fitting and great, the actors from the children to the adults sell it and have great chemistry, etc.
Compare to other Netflix originals, as I said in my post? Orange is the new black? Sense 8?

I couldn't disagree more with ALL of your points. Everything was great in this EXCEPT Winona Ryder.
Her acting is very good here. The character though, is your generic worried, seemingly unstable divoiced mom... So if that's what you don't like you and I are actually in agreement.

Otherwise, we are natural enemies.

Why do people skip?

When they are boring? When they contain zero useful info and feel like it's there for just about nothing? It's not like I skip episodes.

Top Bottom