• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

I can't possible be the only one whose left with plenty of questions after having finished the first season, right?

Finised it yesterday night and i enjoyed this show a lot. Man i wish there were more episodes. I am not too fond of these shows that only have 8 episodes or so, it's too few. But on the other hand, absolutely zero fillers here.

But we're still left with plenty of questions....

So it's about alternate universes, that's cool. But why these experiments with kids? Why are the monsters there?

I have more questions, but maybe i should watch it again. I have been watching all episodes right before i went to sleep and it's possible that i wasn't paying 100% attention to everything. One thing is for sure, there's quite a bit that is unclear to me.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm expecting the kid with the slug to turn into the new monster for season 2. Hopefully he can move through dimensions too which it seems to point to.

I don't think the slugs are the same as the monster. I think that eventually that ovipositor in his mouth and the slugs were a means of turning him into food, which we saw with Barbara - she was beyond help. But without removing the slugs from his body, he's essentially brought the Upside Down back with him. It's a classic literary case of "the abyss stares back". There was no way he was going to stay that long within that dimension and come out unscathed.

I believe the best he'll be able to do is learn to control the parasites to "blink" between dimensions. Turning into the monster doesn't make much sense to me. Maybe it will beckon a new monster, like how El beckoned the original by being the one to make first contact.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I can't possible be the only one whose left with plenty of questions after having finished the first season, right?

Finised it yesterday night and i enjoyed this show a lot. Man i wish there were more episodes. I am not too fond of these shows that only have 8 episodes or so, it's too few. But on the other hand, absolutely zero fillers here.

So it's about alternate universes, that's cool. But why these experiments with kids? Why are the monsters there?

I have more questions, but maybe i should watch it again. I have been watching all episodes right before i went to sleep and it's possible that i wasn't paying 100% attention to everything. One thing is for sure, there's quite a bit that is unclear to me.

The experiments are based off real life government experiments. MK ULTRA was a real and very horrible program.

Elandyll

Banned
List of obvious and less obvious movies/ medias referenced throughout, if some feel like doing a movie marathon
ET (kids with bikes)
The Empire Strikes Back ("Lando", direct references)
Poltergeist (lights, things "in the house but not really", flying toy)
Goonies/ Stand By Me (group of kids investigating mystery)
It (Novel adapted as miniseries, Group of kids in a small town facing a monster)
The Evil Dead (poster/ horror in the woods with tiny cabin)
The Thing (poster/ movie shown/ biological gooey monster with opening face)
Alien (Egg, biological horror, organic growths, Will's "tube")
The Dark Crystal (poster/ music/ kids on a quest)
Gremlins (involving science teacher to help, christmas season/ lights, Teenagers fighting back vs monsters and hunting them including bb bat)
Firestarter/ Carrie (El and her origin/ Stephen King name drop)
The Mist (King short story/ film adaptation)+ The Fog (John Carpenter)+ Silent Hill Videogame (The Upside Down)
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind (communicating with lights)
Jaws (small town Sheriff with issues - also hugely common between Carpenter and King-, Monster attracted by blood)
Nightmare on Elm Street (El need to be borderline meditating and sensory deprived to enter the UD with a mental projection, Monster can attack you there, monster seem "mostly" immune while in our world)

Plus of course the John Hughes like Breakfast Club for the teenage highschool drama

The experiments are based off real life government experiments. MK ULTRA was a real and very horrible program.

Yeah i remember a movie about that. Absolutely horrible for sure.

But overall a great show, great acting and interesting characters and hard to put down. And that ending man...

Poor...goddamn poor kid. I truly sympathized with him there when that scene came where he goes to the bathroom and that worm comes out of his mouth. That's not going to end well for him. I am happy there will clearly be a season 2 though./spoiler]

Somnia

I almost want season 2 to take place years later with the kids grown up. Almost like IT when they return. You can still have the kids in flash backs to show what happened after season 1 and what is happening to make them come back to town and face the new threat or something along those lines.

I mean obviously it'd be a big play on what IT was, but I'm sure the brothers could write it in a well done way so it's not a complete rip off.

mm04

Agree to disagree.
It leaves a sense of hope for the first scene that El might still be alive and a lingering uneasy feeling over whether Will was truly saved or not. I didn't feel they were tacked on as we were never get a clear answer about El and the slug scene was set up by prior scenes in the show so it actually makes sense.

Exactly, Will is coughing
while recovering in the hospital. I knew something was wrong at that point. So the slug at the end of was foreshadowed, and hello the one in Barb's mouth, well ahead of time. It wasn't tacked on at all.

CHC

I mean my general interpretation is this:

- Secret project to develop telekinetic spying / weapon abilities
- Only children were mentally flexible enough, and even then finding the right one was rare (hence number 11)
- Unbeknownst to them the energy being used was coming from another parallel universe that mirrored our own world
- During a particularly deep dive into this world in an attempt to spy on someone across the globe, it was discovered that this void wasn't actually empty
- The scope of the project shifted to making contact with / researching the creature inside this place
- When 11 touched it, she caused a merging of the two universes in a localized area around the facility

That's pretty much it I think. They never said why it was there or why they used kids, but I don't think either of those things are super integral to getting the gist of what's going on.

List of obvious and less obvious movies/ medias referenced throughout, if some feel like doing a movie marathon
ET (kids with bikes)
The Empire Strikes Back ("Lando", direct references)
Poltergeist (lights, things "in the house but not really", flying toy)
Goonies/ Stand By Me (group of kids investigating mystery)
It (Novel adapted as miniseries, Group of kids in a small town facing a monster)
The Evil Dead (poster/ horror in the woods with tiny cabin)
The Thing (poster/ movie shown/ biological gooey monster with opening face)
Alien (Egg, biological horror, organic growths, Will's "tube")
The Dark Crystal (poster/ music/ kids on a quest)
Gremlins (involving science teacher to help, christmas season/ lights, Teenagers fighting back vs monsters and hunting them including bb bat)
Firestarter/ Carrie (El and her origin/ Stephen King name drop)
The Mist (King short story/ film adaptation)+ The Fog (John Carpenter)+ Silent Hill Videogame (The Upside Down)
Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind (communicating with lights)
Jaws (small town Sheriff with issues - also hugely common between Carpenter and King-, Monster attracted by blood)
Nightmare on Elm Street (El need to be borderline meditating and sensory deprived to enter the UD with a mental projection, Monster can attack you there, monster seem "mostly" immune while in our world)

Plus of course the John Hughes like Breakfast Club for the teenage highschool drama

I feel like there may have been a The Gate reference in there too.
Note the wall pushing https://youtu.be/2EtfZocT0Fo?t=32 also the phone catching fire.

Apt101

Just finished episode 4. Hot damn I haven't seen television I enjoyed this much since The Wire or the Sopranos. I mean that.

kris.

Banned

this isn't an adaptation of anything tho

unless you're specifically talking about how it the miniseries is an adaptation of the novel

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Exactly, Will is coughing
while recovering in the hospital. I knew something was wrong at that point. So the slug at the end of was foreshadowed, and hello the one in Barb's mouth, well ahead of time. It wasn't tacked on at all.

I had no issue with the
coughing or the feds picking up Hopper at the hospital
- those were great and tone perfect and MORE than enough to hint that something else might be going on - they should have left it at that. It was enough.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I had no issue with the
coughing or the feds picking up Hopper at the hospital
- those were great and tone perfect and MORE than enough to hint that something else might be going on - they should have left it at that. It was enough.

I kind of agree, although Will
having a quick flashback of the Upside Down in the bathroom would have been effective without the slug. It's ambiguous enough as it would make sense that he's got serious PTSD and it may have just been his imagination, but we don't really know for sure.

HStallion

I kind of agree, although Will
having a quick flashback of the Upside Down in the bathroom would have been effective without the slug. It's ambiguous enough as it would make sense that he's got serious PTSD and it may have just been his imagination, but we don't really know for sure.

Personally
I don't know if Will is aware of the slug at all from his reaction. If anything I wonder if the slug is actually in the real world but might actually be in Upside Down. If anything Will seems to be caught in between the worlds after his prolonged time in the USD and perhaps because he still has a part of it inside of him

Glass

Just finished episode 1. Great stuff so far. The scene with
Wills mom and older brother are looking at the photographs sent the dust in my room haywire.

Yeah i remember a movie about that. Absolutely horrible for sure.

But overall a great show, great acting and interesting characters and hard to put down. And that ending man...

Poor...goddamn poor kid. I truly sympathized with him there when that scene came where he goes to the bathroom and that worm comes out of his mouth. That's not going to end well for him. I am happy there will clearly be a season 2 though.

Your spoiler tags are screwed up!!!!!

ilikeme

On the fourth episode. Lucas is so incredibly awful. Why is anyone friends with him?

Really enjoyed the first three episodes but something about the spell is breaking for me.
Scene with Jonathan and her mom after seeing 'Will' was not believable at all for me. And the body thing being dragged out is so slow.

Also some really heavy stuff happens in the show. All the
child abuse, bullying and losing your kid... Sometimes I just want to back off. The backflash scenes with L are rough.

Finished the episode. Almost reeled me back in. Stuff happened again, albeit slowly.

Because Lucas keeps it real.

Yeah. No. He just keeps doubting his friends and pouts alot. Selfish and unempathetic. Just a kid so it's ok, but bleh.

HStallion

On the fourth episode. Lucas is so incredibly awful. Why is anyone friends with him?

Really enjoyed the first three episodes but something about the spell is breaking for me.
Scene with Jonathan and her mom after seeing 'Will' was not believable at all for me. And the body thing being dragged out is so slow.

Also some really heavy stuff happens in the show. All the
child abuse, bullying and losing your kid... Sometimes I just want to back off. The backflash scenes with L are rough.

Because Lucas keeps it real.

Been watching this recently and while I'm really enjoying it, it definitely falls into "why would X do that?" territory.

Ep 5 spoilers:
the kid doesn't show the photo or try to confirm to his mom in any way that she isn't just going crazy, and then at the end when the girl goes in the tree even though there is a BIG HOLE IN THE TREE right next to where she dropped her stuff he doesn't notice

Anyway, will keep watching. Trying to watch it as quickly as possible cus I want to see what happens but I'm watching it with my boyfriend who has work in the mornings. Smh.

I just look at the title of the episodes and decide whether they are worth watching or not.
Why not the name of the show?

"Oh, stranger than normal things happen. Cool. Next? Ooh, orange is substituting for black? Got it. A house made of cards? What? Now I've seen it all!" *deletes Netflix*

Just finished.

In my opinion this is the best thing Netflix has made so far. It is the strongest start to a tv show I've ever seen in my life. It had everything I've been wanting for years.

• Spielberg
  • Stephen King
  • Synth Music
  • 80's
  • Lovecraft
  • Half Life 2
  • Cool monster
  • Superb cast of actors
  • Fantastic story
  • The ending that I wanted

My only minor complaints are the acting from the older brother and sometimes Wynona. Also, the budget for CGI must have been pretty low.

I'm perfectly happy with not having a 2nd season, but if they are the main issue they are going to run into will be the kids growing up.

What I would like to see in future seasons:
From what I gathered, the Upside down glimpse that we got is fairly small, and there are other creatures. The slug, the serpent thing. What was in the egg?I personally hope that the monsters was just a mob type of monster. The equivalent of the skeleton in the Undead Burg in Dark Souls. I'm hoping that the next season gives us some Capra Demon type. I want to see their version of the the Cthulhu.

mm04

I'm perfectly happy with not having a 2nd season, but if they are the main issue they are going to run into will be the kids growing up.

Immediately after finishing the season, I felt the same in terms of being happy with it potentially being a one-off. Then as the days passed, I already started missing these characters and I wanted to see more from them because of their amazing chemistry, which is hard to find. Judging by interviews from the creators, it seems likely a second season will be a continuation of this story. As far as the kids growing up, I think that works in this situation because I think they'd want to portray a passage of time. Lives continuing on after this crazy experience. This isn't like most TV series in that the next season is basically an immediate continuation of the previous season finale. The kids growing a little would make perfect sense.

Immediately after finishing the season, I felt the same in terms of being happy with it potentially being a one-off. Then as the days passed, I already started missing these characters and I wanted to see more from them because of their amazing chemistry, which is hard to find. Judging by interviews from the creators, it seems likely a second season will be a continuation of this story. As far as the kids growing up, I think that works in this situation because I think they'd want to portray a passage of time. Lives continuing on after this crazy experience. This isn't like most TV series in that the next season is basically an immediate continuation of the previous season finale. The kids growing a little would make perfect sense.

This show could be the current and next generation's Harry Potter type experience on TV for the young actors (especially). More so if the producers and directors can up the quality and story beats and plot, while staying tight and even more intriguing. Either way there is a lot that the Stranger Things team can go with next season and the next one . As this project does not specifically concentrate on a single entity or monster or scenario (the title is perfect as it can mean many things). Still saying that, they could run into a True Blood or True Detective issue were they go to off the rails or try to add too many themes or sub plots and over saturation the focus thus losing the audience.

But that's the thing with sequels and or continuations its a different game. Even more so when and if the time period changes. How will that effect people's viewing the material and the other thing is will it stay in that small town or branch out. Many questions without tangible answers.

Kid, not kids. Eleven had those powers because her mom was part of MK ultra while pregnant. They basically created her by mistake and then accidentally found out there are other dimensions and aliens.

And also... go do acid in a sensory deprevation tank and you'll understand that this plot isn't too crazy :p

D23

Me and my wife marathon this in like 2 days. Were blown away. Best netflix originals for sure, I can't wait for season 2.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

The experiments have nothing to do with the monster or alternate universe. It was based on the real MK Ultra program (although very comic book-ified) to create psychic soldiers that could read enemy combatants minds. 11 is a success (from being in the womb while her mother was subject to experiments) and as she gets better at reading minds at greater distances (which is visualized by her being in the dark place with just her and whoever she was reading, the mindscape, astral plane, whatever you want to call it) she went too far and actually managed to cross over to the other universe and "hear" the creature.

Daffy Duck

So does Hopper work for the department of energy now on the sly?

Seems strange he leaves food for El. Almost as if he knows she's alive somewhere in the upside down

Matty77

So does Hopper work for the department of energy now on the sly?

Seems strange he leaves food for El. Almost as if he knows she's alive somewhere in the upside down
My thoughts
I figure yes and it makes sense. They screwed things up, lost a lot of people including that women and possibly Brenner. Plus they had to sacrifice the state police they controlled. Yet Hop singlehanded solved and helped stop most the issues. Makes sense for them.

On his end it allows him to cover up their shit in a way that's more friendly to the town and isn't completely pretending things didn't happen, plus gives him access and resources to find el which seems important.

If there is another season I bet we find out a LOT happened wherever that car ride took him.

Flintty

My wife and I finished bingeing on this last night. We were hooked from the very first scene. As 80s kids we were sucked in by the 80s nostalgia; it reminded us of so many Coll things and films from our childhood but still managed to feel totally fresh. Fucking loved it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm about to dive into Ep 3. This show is a revelation. Even wilder, the kids are crazy good. Even the little girl was emoting like a motherfucker during that awkward dinner during the first episode.

This is the Super 8 Super 8 wishes it were.

The 80's must be one of the most difficult settings to replicate in a horror/sci-fi production without devolving into a corny mess, but Strager Things succeeded. It's a triumph.

Watched the first episode for no reason more than the short promos I've seen on YouTube and twitch. As of 5 am I finished the series. My god did I love this. As stated above this is everything more than super 8 hoped to be.

This was a perfect length show that gave each character the right amount of time to weave the story up to the last episode. And it does what seems like is impossible these days and gives solid world answers along with a satisfying ending. Would definitely love to watch this again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This was great. What a wonderful surprise. Some random thoughts before I pass out.

I really want the soundtrack to be released on its own. It's amazing.

Also I really liked that it evoked the 80s without being so slavish to trying to recreate Spielberg ala Super 8 or up its own ass like Ready Player One. And in text and metatextual references are mostly in context and not there to explicitly wink at the audience to get us to got OH I REMEMBER THE 80s.

The kids are the best part. I don't mind the brother/sister characters, but I probably would be okay if they didn't exist and the show was focused entirely on the kids.

The CG was terrible though. I really think they should have tried to go practical, because it couldn't look as bad as what we got in the final episode.

Edit: I guess people are talking about a potential S2? I hope this show is an anthology like American Horror Story and they just do something completely different if they want to do something else. There's no real reason to do more of the same story.

MaKTaiL

This was great. What a wonderful surprise. Some random thoughts before I pass out.

I really want the soundtrack to be released on its own. It's amazing.

Also I really liked that it evoked the 80s without being so slavish to trying to recreate Spielberg ala Super 8 or up its own ass like Ready Player One. And in text and metatextual references are mostly in context and not there to explicitly wink at the audience to get us to got OH I REMEMBER THE 80s.

The kids are the best part. I don't mind the brother/sister characters, but I probably would be okay if they didn't exist and the show was focused entirely on the kids.

The CG was terrible though. I really think they should have tried to go practical, because it couldn't look as bad as what we got in the final episode.

Edit: I guess people are talking about a potential S2? I hope this show is an anthology like American Horror Story and they just do something completely different if they want to do something else. There's no real reason to do more of the same story.
The creators Said they wrote a 30-page lore document of the Upside Down and they haven't revealed anything yet. They will explore a lot more on Season 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The creators Said they wrote a 30-page lore document of the Upside Down and they haven't revealed anything yet. They will explore a lot more on Season 2.

I'm not sure if I could take having two scientist characters trying to explain everything to the audience by technobabbling each other. lol

I guess if they need to do more, I'd rather they just do a jump in time or something. The series ends in a way that feels satisfying for the character arcs, and I'm not sure a direct continuation would work for me.

Barely half way through episode 5 and i'm sad that we only have 3 episodes left to watch.

This show is surprising me more and more. I really enjoy it.

Top Bottom