• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

.la1n

Most of the remixed versions grew on me but I still love dat original. We need more hype in here. Can't wait until we get some tournament play going between GAF.

Vespa

Akuma's theme's pretty good, nice to have the option of other tracks.

66RVC.png
bazUz.png
sytyh.png
hZqu9.png
4fZNw.png
fBG0m.png
BIrHY.png
ljvW4.png

Wsp5b.jpg
9SJ9c.jpg
yb6Un.jpg
qs9gL.jpg
1NXun.jpg
uwd74.jpg
vLlXW.jpg
YSKNN.jpg
yjhbu.jpg
p1ioB.jpg
2Q5GK.jpg
BDaVZ.jpg
Bfh9A.jpg
CGEYw.jpg
ecNww.jpg
wJr8O.png

TAKEN AVATARS

DKbTF.jpg
zxr8f.jpg
u614A.jpg
ss4ef.jpg
TPDki.jpg
JCRrs.jpg
1vSs7.jpg
ENUQP.jpg
tEeoN.jpg
paq11.jpg
dEKiK.png
Hq7bg.png
wQJEb.png
k7qsK.png
etnKR.png
VsSl4.jpg
DLOV1.jpg
Fnj0y.jpg
Y44HF.jpg
8iFOR.jpg
iBqMB.jpg

DatBreh

Banned
Fersis said:

I agree with Sirlin, the game is pretty unbalanced and there are obvious things they could change that everyone agrees that should be done (like lengthening Yuns super bar and toning down some of Chuns normals) . I dont know why anyone here was hoping this game would make a return at Evo. Cant get enough Chun and Yun on youtube? Such awful balancing wouldnt be tolerated in any other genre of game but for some reason its great for fighters.

People keep saying that people wont take to a rebalanced version. I guarantee if Capcom threw some money behind it at big tournaments people would play.

Azure J

Anybody have a good idea on "Third Striking" my avatar? I love this game and Fighting GAF too much not to get in on even a temp change of avatar (even if I love my Scribble-tar'd Mike Jones). I'm thinking about ways I can rep Makoto while keeping this one too. :lol

.la1n said:
Most of the remixed versions grew on me but I still love dat original. We need more hype in here. Can't wait until we get some tournament play going between GAF.
Day 1 lobbies will be delicious.

ThatCrazyGuy said:
What's so "lol" about it? He brings up great points.
Doesn't he always have problems with fighting games not named Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix?

spindashing said:
Day 1 lobbies will be delicious.

Doesn't he always have problems with fighting games not named Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix?

He's not right on everything, but he brings up good points.

HDR is his baby. Wouldn't you slather your baby with eternal love?? haha.

DatBreh said:
People keep saying that people wont take to a rebalanced version. I guarantee if Capcom threw some money behind it at big tournaments people would play.

How much development time and money did Capcom throw at Super Street Figher II HD Remix? History is not on your side of the argument here. I don't fault Capcom for not taking the 'change the game in prominent places' route a second time.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I think after HD Remix, anything Sirlin has to say about...anything will forever be taken with a gigantic lump of salt. Besides, without the original group of developers doing the rebalancing, I wouldn't trust anyone else with it. I mean, who the hell else should do the rebalance? Sirlin? Ono? Who would you trust at that company to get a rebalance right?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DatBreh said:
I agree with Sirlin, the game is pretty unbalanced and there are obvious things they could change that everyone agrees that should be done (like lengthening Yuns super bar and toning down some of Chuns normals) . I dont know why anyone here was hoping this game would make a return at Evo. Cant get enough Chun and Yun on youtube? Such awful balancing wouldnt be tolerated in any other genre of game but for some reason its great for fighters.

Yup, they could have had both a rebalanced version and the original version available, just like HD Remix did.

obonicus

spindashing said:

He always gives VF as an example when talking about yomi, and he's used GG as well. He didn't like BB or SF4, though, for different reasons.

I think after HD Remix, anything Sirlin has to say about...anything will forever be taken with a gigantic lump of salt. Besides, without the original group of developers doing the rebalancing, I wouldn't trust anyone else with it. I mean, who the hell else should do the rebalance? Sirlin? Ono? Who would you trust at that company to get a rebalance right?

Why would you trust the original developers? Their third try at balance was 3S.

DatBreh

Banned
Gentleman Jack said:
How much development time and money did Capcom throw at Super Street Figher II HD Remix? History is not on your side of the argument here. I don't fault Capcom for not taking the 'change the game in prominent places' route a second time.

Im not talking money toward development. Im talking about sponsoring tournaments. Throw some jackpots behind the game and all these pro players who say they dont want a rebalanced game will play it. Remember when SF4 was fist being shown around and many pro players including Diago said they hated it, yet they played it anyway because it was going to be the tournament scene game.

Hell even Capcom agreed the game needed balancing but they cut the money out the budget for it early on. They prob. knew that people would buy it anyway so there was no need in spending that money.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
the problem is, if you know any tourney level 3s players they all pretty much laugh at the idea of having a rebalanced version of the game outside of a handful of people. most players agree its pretty much too late for that, the game is what it is. the unbalanced elements are part of its charm at this point and a fact of life. i mean who doesnt love seeing a hugo blow up a yun or chun li player?

outside of a miracle, it would end up splintering the already fragile community, with OGs not accepting it and newer players -maybe- taking it seriously -- no one knows for sure.

beyond that, once you get into rebalancing the game, as Ive said before, it becomes a real slippery slope. while many of the balances changes might be obvious enough, you never know what can happen behind closed doors. You could end up with the "perfect version" or a frankienstien of the original that after a time becomes just as broken, if not more than when it was first released.

so while on paper, tinkering with 3s may seem like a good idea, the better idea is to just make a new fucking game. If 3s is really so completely horrible and unplayable (it isnt, duh), just make SF3: 4th Down or some new 2d sprite based game. Id rather play a new game like that with new/revised mechanics with some new characters rather than potentially fuck up what is already a pretty sick game.

Vespa

DatBreh said:

Err nobody in this thread asked for this to come to Evo. You're like the millionth person to come in and preach the truth (and it is the truth) that this is unbalanced, message received.

3S OE was just meant to be 3S plus an online component, fans are happy. Rebalance mode would be great as an additional mode and maybe there's a possibility down the line if this sells but who knows (Currently ruled out). Personally I wouldn't know who to trust to rebalance this anyway it's not like this is the same Capcom that released this in 1999.

obonicus said:
He always gives VF as an example when talking about yomi, and he's used GG as well. He didn't like BB or SF4, though, for different reasons.

3rd Strike is amazingly balanced compared to 2nd Impact.

And what a coincidence, Sirlin doesn't like the other two major fighting games that came out in 2008.

DatBreh

Banned
Vespa said:
Err nobody in this thread asked for this to come to Evo. You're like the millionth person to come in and preach the truth (and it is the truth) that this is unbalanced, message received.

3S OE was just meant to be 3S plus an online component, fans are happy. Rebalance mode would be great as an additional mode and maybe there's a possibility down the line if this sells but who knows (Currently ruled out). Personally I wouldn't know who to trust to rebalance this anyway it's not like this is the same Capcom that released this in 1999.

Go back and read the thread from when the game was first shown. Plenty of people said they hoped this would bring the game back into the spotlight and back into Evo.

I still think they should have included a rebalance mode that way both camps are happy but i guess there is no point talking about that anymore.

I never got into SF4 as much as I had hoped. I had every opportunity to learn the game rather well in the Chicagoland area, but I guess I just wasn't that interested in it.

Now is my time to actually sit down and digest a SF game fully with 3s. I've played it off and on for a decade, but I'm actually going to get as good as possible at it.

Toss up between maining Ryu or Ken. I was Sagat in SF4 and Chun in SSF4, and it would make sense to picking Chun in 3s, but there's something about Shotos being fun in SF3.

Right now leaning towards Ryu, but I wish they would have left him with a 2 stock Denjin like in 2i.

P.S. Thanks for the Avatar hypes!

obonicus

Gentleman Jack said:
And what a coincidence, Sirlin doesn't like the other two major fighting games that came out in 2008.

He gave reasons, though. I'm going off memory here, so I may be wrong, but as I remember its: for SF4 he didn't like the size of the playing field, he didn't like the jumps, and he thought it was ridiculous that SF4 was meant to be more casual/approachable and yet it had 1-frame links.

For BB I don't quite remember his complaints, though he thought that making the throws take a bazillion frames and be super techable hurt the basic tactics of the game. There might have been more.

Edit: not saying Sirlin isn't a blowhard. He totally is. That doesn't make him a biased know-nothing, though, and often quite the opposite.

DatBreh

Banned
The thing that gets me though is that when Sirlin brings up his complaints about a game 99% of the time its the same complaints the fans have and wanted changed but since its Sirlin he gets the "lol Sirlin". His complaints about SF4 were all legit.

If you have been on SRK for a while you know there have been countless threads about changes to improve the game. But for some reason when someone in the gaming media says it, you want all hands off.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
obonicus said:

At this point, why would you trust anyone at Capcom then? Ono's third shot at SF4? AE. Marvell vs. Capcom 2 wasn't balanced by players played the shit out it. MvC3 isn't balanced. Who knows about Ultimate MvC3 (going on history? Doubtful). SF X Tekken? Doubt it.

So, who WOULD you trust?

Leave the game as is. It is fine. Imagine the outcry if they rebalanced MvC2 after 10 years. lol Also, HD Remix didn't work so there goes that...

DatBreh said:
If you have been on SRK for a while you know there have been countless threads about changes to improve the game. But for some reason when someone in the gaming media says it, you want all hands off.

People on SRK didn't do what he did to HD Remix either. I would hardly call him a part of the "gaming media". Dude still thinks he improved the balance too. Plus, he just straight up called Haunts' review shameful. A little bit more respect for the dude helping out the FGC much more than Sirlin with this new generation of fighters.

3S will never make a comeback in the US. We're so behind in the game its sad while in Japan, it is their MvC2.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
I dont think this is a good tourney game in the USA and I dont care if it comes back to EVO or not, it already had its time to shine and US proved its ass at the game so whatever. The Daigo parry was obviously one of the best moments in FG history, but outside of that its mostly been a bust at the evos I saw it played at.

On the other hand, SBO 3s replays/highlights contain some of the FG play to date. Hell, 3s is super hype at SBO virtually every year from what I've seen. If the USA was even half as good at the game as the Japanese are then it would be a worthwhile tournament game here in the states for sure.

Vespa

DatBreh said:
Go back and read the thread from when the game was first shown. Plenty of people said they hoped this would bring the game back into the spotlight and back into Evo.

That's another thread! Nobody in this thread has asked for it to come to Evo, why start that shit again?

DatBreh

Banned
Kintaro said:
At this point, why would you trust anyone at Capcom then? Ono's third shot at SF4? AE. Marvell vs. Capcom 2 wasn't balanced by players played the shit out it. MvC3 isn't balanced. Who knows about Ultimate MvC3 (going on history? Doubtful). SF X Tekken? Doubt it.

So, who WOULD you trust?

Leave the game as is. It is fine. Imagine the outcry if they rebalanced MvC2 after 10 years. lol Also, HD Remix didn't work so there goes that...

What is the deal with Ono? Clearly he can make a game with the semblance of balance by looking at SSF4 but then he decides to purposely make an unbalanced game with AE. I guess we will have to wait and see what he does with the AE patch next year.

obonicus

Kintaro said:

This is nonsense. You said that you wouldn't trust anyone but the original devs. I don't understand why you would trust them particularly, given their track record. At least Ono has SSF4. And hell, don't go to Capcom. Go to the fighting-game community. They study this stuff and actively seek out ways to break the game for their own advantage -- better they do it in beta than after release.

obonicus said:
They study this stuff and actively seek out ways to break the game for their own advantage -- better they do it in beta than after release.
the releases are the betas for the next releases

Mechazawa

Kintaro said:
Imagine the outcry if they rebalanced MvC2 after 10 years.

The outcry over what, exactly? An optional rebalance where you could undoubtedly toggle on the classic balance?

I hate seeing this HD Remix/Sirlin saltiness. That game was the shit.

Top Bottom