• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

zlatko said:
I've heard this a lot, and it boils down to roll cancelling right? That's what completely made the game stupid at the pro scene I take it?

What if they kept all the shit for a CvS2 Online Edition the same, but ONLY took out roll cancelling? It would shift up the tiers and a bit more, but wouldn't that be a way to "fix" the game, but without alienating the OG guys?
They already did that. The Xbox and GCN versions, dubbed EO, removed RC.
PS2 and DC ports kept it in from Arcade.

CPS2

Sirlin =/

3s is from 1999. Changing it now would be stupid, if they're gonna make changes and not add any new characters or gameplay systems or anything, people will prefer to play the original 3s, or something else.

Also after hearing Mr Wizard's reasoning for this year's EVO lineup, and looking at TTT2 and SFxT on the way, I doubt SF3 will be back next year as an official tournament. It's awesome to have it on XBL and this package looks great, but I also feel it's competitive days are done.

zlatko

Banned
QisTopTier said:
LOL I always felt partially to blame for your tag cause of well ya :X

:p Shit happens. I was talking all sorts of stupid, and raging at the poop online system that is SF4.

Works out fine for me since I change my avatar at a frequent rate, so having a tag makes it easier to identify my posts. Plus, it keeps me motivated to never do that poorly online so I can protect my next of kin.

@ Dementia

How did those versions fair? I never got into CvS2 at its prime time, and only messed around with it back in the mashing days at my friends house.

Kintaro said:
SSF4 was pretty well done, yes. But it was dumped. Question is this: If players hate unbalanced games so much, why was AE picked up in place of SSF4? Shouldn't Evo have said "No, this is not better than SSF4. We will continue using that" or something to that effect? Why pick up the broken game players complain about?
EVO is no longer a community event that is impartial from the marketing desires of the companies who produce the games.

The newest Capcom/Namco titles (New titles, not rereleases) will never be turned down.

RS4-

_dementia said:
They already did that. The Xbox and GCN versions, dubbed EO, removed RC.
PS2 and DC ports kept it in from Arcade.

CVS2 had a few weird design decisions; they felt p-groove was too powerful (and probably the typical mentality that parrying is too easy) so what do they do? Slowest meter build in the game iirc, shortest guard bar, long bar, no ex moves and iirc, no super canceling.

Kgroove was pretty hilarious.

Just two things off the top of my head.

kitzkozan

zlatko said:
:p Shit happens. I was talking all sorts of stupid, and raging at the poop online system that is SF4.

Works out fine for me since I change my avatar at a frequent rate, so having a tag makes it easier to identify my posts. Plus, it keeps me motivated to never do that poorly online so I can protect my next of kin.

@ Dementia

How did those versions fair? I never got into CvS2 at its prime time, and only messed around with it back in the mashing days at my friends house.

You remember being the most hated poster in the vanilla SFIV thread before being banned? :) Lot's of crazy meltdown and whining with vanilla SFIV, especially from that dude named Arstral or something who was the worst whiner of them all. :p

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
kitzkozan said:
Justin Wong finally admitted in public that he hated SSFIV because it was a defensive game with mostly charge/mediocre characters being at the top. I'm sure many were thinking just like him...

As an observer (try as I might, I can't get into SF4), SSF4 was rather boring to watch. =/

Any time someone used Dhalsim, it felt like torture. =(

obonicus

kitzkozan said:
Justin Wong finally admitted in public that he hated SSFIV because it was a defensive game with mostly charge/mediocre characters being at the top. I'm sure many were thinking just like him...

What does mediocre character mean? I mean, top 8 EVO 2010 was Ryu, Rufus/Chun-li, Akuma, E.Honda, Adon, Zangief, E.Honda/Dhalsim, Chun-li. Only two charge characters there. Are those mediocre? Is Viper? Abel?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
CPS2 said:
It's awesome to have it on XBL and this package looks great, but I also feel it's competitive days are done.

Yeah I feel the same way. Small time ranbats and stuff will be cool but there is so many new games coming out its time as a headliner game at EVO or w/e is over and done with. Like I said before, US is pretty shit at 3s anyway, id rather watch SBO replays if Im looking for epic 3s tournament footage.

kitzkozan

haunts said:
Yeah I feel the same way. Small time ranbats and stuff will be cool but there is so many new games coming out its time as a headliner game at EVO or w/e is over and done with. Like I said before, US is pretty shit at 3s anyway, id rather watch SBO replays if Im looking for epic 3s tournament footage.

SFxTekken, KOF XIII, TTT2, Soul Calibur 5, UMvC3, etc. It's just too much and the massive time investment needed to become competitive at the game just won't be worth it for 99% of the players out there.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah I cant see this ever becoming a major tourney game ever again. But it's my go to comfort fighting game of the forever. Out of all the new game releases I'm actually the most hype for SFxT I don't know why, the game doesn't even play like it, but it gives me heavy heavy CvS2 vibes... yeah Im weird

QisTopTier said:
Yeah I cant see this ever becoming a major tourney game ever again.

I can if they rebalance it.

Chun should be low or mid low. Why? She's one of the easiest characters in the game and her whole purpose is to walk back and forth waiting to land a low MK into her SAII. One of the quickest pokes into one of the longest cancel windows in 3S that leads into 50% on a lot of characters.

On top of that, Chun vs Chun is BORING to watch.

I'd go so far as to say Chun is one of the big reasons 3S started dying off so quick.

Mister Wilhelm said:
I can if they rebalance it.
Nah. It will never overcome the fact that it's an old game. It would be a changed old game, but still and old game. With new games by Capcom coming out, neither the average gamers or the tourney organizers would give it the same treatment.

zlatko

Banned
kitzkozan said:
You remember being the most hated poster in the vanilla SFIV thread before being banned? :) Lot's of crazy meltdown and whining with vanilla SFIV, especially from that dude named Arstral or something who was the worst whiner of them all. :p

Dang most hated? :( It was in the Original Super thread though after its release that I went mental and made everyone want to choke a bitch. ^^;

I'm cool with admitting that I'm pretty much an '08er in terms of finally stepping it up and wanting to get good at fighting games. Up until then I bought/rented/played at friends, but never wanted to be decent at any. The explosion after SF4 and the growth of the FGC for more tournaments is what brought me in, and the awesomeness of the people as well as the fun of the games is what has made me stay.

I think it was black vejeta back then after I got banned or before who said, "he'll give this game up in August," or some shit, and I'm still here, but I admit at the time that most of my frustration was just coming from rage due to losses and being a scrub/having a scrub mind mentality.

-----------------------------
SF3 though, from my time on GGPO seems like a game I would be better at than SF4, but my main goal with this game is to play Sean and piss off Chun Li/Yun/Ken players online. B-balls to the dome, dash, sweep. Sup son? :D

kitzkozan

QisTopTier said:
Yeah I cant see this ever becoming a major tourney game ever again. But it's my go to comfort fighting game of the forever. Out of all the new game releases I'm actually the most hype for SFxT I don't know why, the game doesn't even play like it, but it gives me heavy heavy CvS2 vibes... yeah Im weird

Master Chibi from SRK say that SFxTekken is quite similar to a doujin game named Ougon+SF EX+ the 4 players mode from MvC. :p It's quite strange if it's true, because in that case it doesn't play at all like Tekken or even SF. He also predicted that SFxT will suffer the fate of Capcom fighting jam or in other word become a bargain bin title but that's for another day lol. Truth be told, Ougon completely failed to develop a competitive scene because of the whack mechanics so we will see. :) It would be insane if 3rd strike end up having a bigger online scene than SFxT...

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
The problem with rebalancing decade-old competitive games is that it's chasing unicorns. People who've been playing 10+ years mostly don't want to re-learn it and the elusive new fans probably have reasons unrelated to balance why they aren't playing that ten-year-old game, anyway. Dhalsim players were furious at what Capcom did to him in AE and that's only nine months between iterations - imagine how people who spent a decade would feel.

I hope Capcom throws the ST community a bone and does an OE for it.

Why can't they do it just like they did it with the OG SFII...just have a remastered version like HD Turbo and the original as well. Both are viable, and both would be supported right? We can have our cake and eat it too, in this regard. I'm speaking just as far as balancing goes, not anything new moves like fake fireball and whatnot.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
zlatko said:
Dang most hated? :( It was in the Original Super thread though after its release that I went mental and made everyone want to choke a bitch. ^^;
Most hated? Nah, more like a running joke for a bit. Although having you finally snap after playing my seth that one time then you mentally going downhill from there was always something I savored in the back of my head. Hurray for you maturing up though! :D Yes I can be a dick when it comes to fighting games, but hey as I said before I do it more for the I WANNA BEAT THAT SMART ASS FUCKER reasons. :D

ElFly said:
Maybe if Udon hadn't interfered and the game had been done earlier, it'd be different.

If only GAF listened to me.

You owe me. YOU ALL OWE ME! </Jesus Conan O'Brien skit>

Tomorrow.

Oh god.

Please come at me PSN GAF! :D

I'll have to take a break to play my stupid AE ranbat matches; but that's it.

Agent X

abstract alien said:
Why can't they do it just like they did it with the OG SFII...just have a remastered version like HD Turbo and the original as well. Both are viable, and both would be supported right? We can have our cake and eat it too, in this regard. I'm speaking just as far as balancing goes, not anything new moves like fake fireball and whatnot.

That would be a great thing to do, but it would also take a considerable investment of time and resources to have a proper rebalance. They already tried that for SSF2T, and the game came out many months later than scheduled--that was for a game with a lower character count and a simpler fighting engine, which was better balanced than SF3:3S in the first place.

Strictly from a pure business perspective, there's not much of a reason for Capcom to do this, as it wouldn't result in a great increase in sales to justify the added development costs.

Ichabod

Banned
Been watching alot of TheShend's channel on youtube in anticipation of wednesday. There is an entertaining commentator in some of the older videos that has a very distinct laugh and spends more time joking and ribbing the players than actually commentating on matches. Anyone know who I'm talking about? He cracks me up.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Dachande said:
The GGPO guy is removing 3S support from the PC version when OE launches.

We don't know that for certain. Ponder alluded to the possibility of removing it, inside sources say he will heep it there regardless of what Capcom says.

Ichabod said:
Been watching alot of TheShend's channel on youtube in anticipation of wednesday. There is an entertaining commentator in some of the older videos that has a very distinct laugh and spends more time joking and ribbing the players than actually commentating on matches. Anyone know who I'm talking about? He cracks me up.

The guy who's voice gets high when he gets really, really excited? I love that guy.

Calcaneus

isamu said:
We don't know that for certain. Ponder alluded to the possibility of removing it, inside sources say he will heep it there regardless of what Capcom says.
I think it would be cool if he did. It was only there in the first place because there was nowhere else to go really for good online play of this game. Now that Capcom has basically given us everything we want in a re-release, I think it would be a good gesture to remove it.

Torgo

Played a bunch of online matches tonight, and the online is fantastic overall. Had a couple of matches with some warping, but it wasn't bad. There's no perceived input lag at all, and all of this while I was broadcasting an HD stream too.

zlatko said:
I've heard this a lot, and it boils down to roll cancelling right? That's what completely made the game stupid at the pro scene I take it?

What if they kept all the shit for a CvS2 Online Edition the same, but ONLY took out roll cancelling? It would shift up the tiers and a bit more, but wouldn't that be a way to "fix" the game, but without alienating the OG guys?

Quite the opposite actually. There's infinitely more viable characters and playstyles in CvS2 than almost any other capcom fighter. Roll cancels actually expanded the playable cast by making the CAN grooves more potent.

vocab said:
I'm mashing srk so much tomorrow.

Mash parry, it's the "srk mash" before there was srk mash.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I gotta say though, the animation in sf3 blows sf4 out of the water shit is so silky smooth. Then again everything is hella sped up in sf4 since well the game is faster overall.

simtmb

lol damn, i check my JP account for 3s, and i just noticed i had well over 3000 yen left. I thought i had none xD

But i already pre-ordered it on my AUS account D:

Top Bottom