• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Shearie

Zombie James said:
In the past two days all I've done is fight Ken, mostly. I've fought Q three times, Ryu twice, every other fight was Ken.

:/
It's funny because I always pick Elena right away and a lot of times the opponent takes awhile and goes over a bunch of different characters slowly acting like they're actually going to pick one of them and then they end up choosing Ken.

VerTiGo

Banned
I have completely abandoned Arcade Edition for this game after years of playing SFIV. I don't regret it and don't care to go back.

I was about to buy the color pack but I just realized I had unlocked the Second Impact Color Pack for the characters I used to complete arcade mode. That should do just fine for now.

The only thing I dislike is that the PS3 version does not support custom soundtracks. Playing SSFIV with custom soundtracks is one of the most awesome experiences ever. The fights always go with the music and that's just awesome for local play. I am hoping for that update at some point. At least Second Impact music tracks are coming, soon... I hope.

Matchmaking does suck, especially since we cannot make specific room sizes but this game is too fun for me to care that much about it.

I am getting my ass handed to me for the most part, this feels like a whole different kind of game, a better kind of game...

oracrest

I had some great GAF fights last night. Sephiroth was destroying, but great
Practice!

I went back to Elena for a while last night. She was the first character I played third strike with. Lots of fun! I really like the character design, all kicks. Even the grab is a knee pinch. And I realized, she's huge! I think she'd be taller than Hugo if she stood up straight.

I play during the evenings on the east coast, lookin for some 1v1 player lobby action. PSN is my username. Also have the ability to stream if we ever want to get one going some night.

VerTiGo

Banned
narcosis219 said:
but..but... 2012!

SSFIV is a more primative fighting game. This game has its anti-bullshit factor with parrying thrown into the mix. Far more aggressive fighting game, or defensive, depending how you are looking at it.

Tizoc

oracrest said:
I had some great GAF fights last night. Sephiroth was destroying, but great
Practice!

I went back to Elena for a while last night. She was the first character I played third strike with. Lots of fun! I really like the character design, all kicks. Even the grab is a knee pinch. And I realized, she's huge! I think she'd be taller than Hugo if she stood up straight.
St. HK and Back+HK can fill that stun meter really fast.
Go with SA2 or SA3 as I wrote in the OP.
Also MP+MK-->Link SA2 is one to practice.

oracrest

Great battle last night, Mr. BEEF!

Are people still adding to the GAF PS3 chat room? It seems to be always the usual suspects (which is fine, but a lot of times the room is empty)

Ribbon

VerTiGo said:
SSFIV is a more primative fighting game. This game has its anti-bullshit factor with parrying thrown into the mix. Far more aggressive fighting game, or defensive, depending how you are looking at it.

I agree. I had never played third strike before, and coming from sf4, I really enjoy the parry system.

So I started out trying to learn the game with Ibuki. The combo of a totally new SFIII player and a low-health / high-execution character was not a good idea. I've switched over to my second choice Oro now and I'm enjoying things much more. I'm still losing most every match, but I'm competitive in many more and at least I last longer before going down, I manage to make myself annoying with lots of double jump shenanigans and attempts at unblockables with SAII.

Shearie

oracrest said:
Are people still adding to the GAF PS3 chat room? It seems to be always the usual suspects (which is fine, but a lot of times the room is empty)
I always get invited to PS3 fighting game chat rooms but I'm only ever in there for the first day or so because I always forget that dudes that are way more skilled than me in all fighting games like QisTopTier or FindMyFarms are in there. If I play against these guys for long enough I need to be put on suicide watch. Shit is sad.

cj_iwakura said:
I'm sick of fighting Uriels. No, you are not good with Aegis Reflector, stop trying.

ARCHANGEL%2BURIEL.jpg

Me too man.

Urgh, love 3rd Strike but the online portion of this game is horrid! Too many goddamn red pingers. I've tried messing with the GGPO delay but, urgh, it still sucks.

Any UK / EU'ers still play this?

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
noooo! I recently moved and I seem to have misplaced/forgot/lost my Saturn USB pad. I can't even mule kick consistently on a dual shock.

Infinite sadness ;_;

Shearie

wackojackosnose said:
Urgh, love 3rd Strike but the online portion of this game is horrid! Too many goddamn red pingers. I've tried messing with the GGPO delay but, urgh, it still sucks.

Any UK / EU'ers still play this?
Hmmmmmmmmmm. I rarely get people with red pings - mostly orange and sometimes yellow but never green - and the matches themselves run great for me.

Every Urien plays the same. It's not even fun to fight them. I usually win almost every match but i occasionally get caught up in some dashing nonsense whenever i let my guard down. It's just not a fun match whenever someone picks him.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The guys in SF4 GAF aren't too knowledgable about arcade stick parts, it seems, so I'm asking you guys.

I'm having a problem with the "rebound" on my TE Stick (Sanwa). When I let go of the stick from the 'back' position, instead of going back to neutral, it rebounds too far and inputs a quick 'forward' motion. I can tell this from turning on input display in training mode.

Can I get a stick that either has a tighter rebound (gets locked into the neutral position after letting go of the stick, without giving an extra, unnecessary input), or that rebounds slightly slow (so there is not enough inertia to cause it to add an extra input)?

I was thinking about maybe getting a seimetsu or some other brand stick to help with this problem of rebound. Anyone got some suggestions?

LakeEarth

Freedom = $1.05 said:
Every Urien plays the same. It's not even fun to fight them. I usually win almost every match but i occasionally get caught up in some dashing nonsense whenever i let my guard down. It's just not a fun match whenever someone picks him.
I agree.

Where the fuck is the XBL patch? I've been trying to get a match going for 5 minutes now, nothing.

10 minutes. This game is a fucking embarras-Join Failed. The session no longer exists.-sment.

15 minutes. Switching to Marvel. How the hell did they fuck up so bad that MvC3 of all games has better match making then it. MvC3!!!!

Look at that, 10 seconds for a match.

AwShucks

LakeEarth said:
I agree.

Where the fuck is the XBL patch? I've been trying to get a match going for 5 minutes now, nothing.

10 minutes. This game is a fucking embarras-Join Failed. The session no longer exists.-sment.

15 minutes. Switching to Marvel. How the hell did they fuck up so bad that MvC3 of all games has better match making then it. MvC3!!!!

Look at that, 10 seconds for a match.

I actually don't have too much trouble. Probably 75% of the time I try to play it work. 25% of the time it's like what you said so I just give up and do something else, come back later in the day.

But still, getting rid of that 25% of the time will make me enjoy it so much more.

I'm actually getting decent with Remy again on this though I have a long way to go; haven't played this game seriously in a good long time.

My Alex on the other hand is still terribad, I lost like all talent I had with him. It's a bit depressing. :/

oracrest

Shearie said:
I always get invited to PS3 fighting game chat rooms but I'm only ever in there for the first day or so because I always forget that dudes that are way more skilled than me in all fighting games like QisTopTier or FindMyFarms are in there. If I play against these guys for long enough I need to be put on suicide watch. Shit is sad.

That's some of the best practice you could ask for! You get the timing down a lot better by playing against people like that.

...You just gotta be able to have fun losing, heh.

EDIT: you guys might enjoy this copy paste from the Dark Souls thread...

I got this message, and I couldn't resist...

QisTopTier said:
If I beat you 5 straight in sf3 you must make a cleric :D LETS DO THIS GOGO lol

oracrest said:
challenge accepted.

Here's the result:

oracrest's Hugo vs. QisTopTier's Alex Round 1

oracrest's Hugo vs. QisTopTier's Alex Round 2

oracrest's Hugo vs. QisTopTier's Alex Round 3

oracrest's Hugo vs. QisTopTier's Alex Round 4

oracrest's Hugo vs. QisTopTier's Alex Round 5

...and one more, just for fun ;)

Cleric it is! <3 Third Strike/Dark Souls crossover Gaffers

Timedog said:
The guys in SF4 GAF aren't too knowledgable about arcade stick parts, it seems, so I'm asking you guys.

I'm having a problem with the "rebound" on my TE Stick (Sanwa). When I let go of the stick from the 'back' position, instead of going back to neutral, it rebounds too far and inputs a quick 'forward' motion. I can tell this from turning on input display in training mode.

Can I get a stick that either has a tighter rebound (gets locked into the neutral position after letting go of the stick, without giving an extra, unnecessary input), or that rebounds slightly slow (so there is not enough inertia to cause it to add an extra input)?

I was thinking about maybe getting a seimetsu or some other brand stick to help with this problem of rebound. Anyone got some suggestions?

I dont remember off the top of my head what the diameter of the spring in the joystick is, but find that out and buy another spring of the same size (or an actual JLF spring) and either replace the spring or double up the springs by twisting them together. It'll make it snap back to neutral harder, but also make your stick a little more rigid.

AwShucks

I've played two nights since getting the patch and have found an opponent 100% of the time in ranked matches. Sometimes it's not super quick, but it's much much faster than it was before and considering I haven't run into those "session ended" or general fail messages it's a major plus.

Also, I haven't seen any crazy disconnect numbers since the path either. Highest I saw was 4%

CPS2

narcosis219 said:
I dont remember off the top of my head what the diameter of the spring in the joystick is, but find that out and buy another spring of the same size (or an actual JLF spring) and either replace the spring or double up the springs by twisting them together. It'll make it snap back to neutral harder, but also make your stick a little more rigid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L67fUfH3S5o

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
hey good games once again to qcf x2. that twelve we were playing against was a beast and then that remy who joined was sick as well. I was losing so much today and in terrible, terrible fashion. serves me right for not playing regularly the last few weeks.

qcf x2

yeah ggs. Man I just got S+ 'ed on with a green connection, no excuses or anything. I felt a weird mixture of awe and shame, but mostly awe.

Top Bottom