• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition |OT| Let's fight like gentlemen!

Tizoc

ShaneB said:
I'd be interested in this, given how damaging some combos can be.
Put simply-
Normal-->Super seems to scale damage less than Special (canceled to or link to) -->Super.
The most glaring exampl is Ryu; try Haduken-->Shin Shoryu, then see how much damage Cr. MK-->Shin Shoryu does. In fact, Cr. MK-->Shin Shoryu does a little more damage than HP SRK-->Shin Shoryu from what I've seen!

Now with Elena, try HCB+P-->SA2; it does AS MUCH damage as SA2, whereas Cr. MP-->SA2 does more damage.

One popular combo with Ken is Jumping MK/HK-->St. MP, HP-->QCF+PxxSA3, this actually does as much if not a little extra damage, over Jumping MK/HK-->St. MP, HP-->SA3.
In fact Ken's SA3 doesn't get scaled much in combos, this could be because of damage distribution on the hits and how much damage they do when scaled.

With Hugo, he can do HCB+K-->SA2, but it does a little less damage than SA2, however, HCB+K-->Clap-->SA2 does a little more damage. If you're using SA2, try practicing and landing the 2nd combo, the little extra damage is worth it.

Interestingly enough Light attacks do not scale the super's damage. So if you do Cr. LK-->Super, the damage will be Super+damage from Cr. LK.
The shotos are lucky as they can ALL do Cr. LK, Cr. LP, Cr. LK-->Super. I think this is a hit confirm as well. Note that that 3 hit combo will push them back quite a distance making it so some of their supers won't connect.

Now some might be thinking that canceling specials into supers isn't worth it, but I would recommend practicing some combos first, and decide for yourself. Besides, some combos are performed mostly for stun damage than actual damage. Whereas others are still good, like Q's combo:
Jumping HP-->St. MK-->MP Punch-->Super
This combo does nearly 50% damage!

Finally, in most combos, the average amount of damage a super will do is 50% of it's base damage (wit Q for example, SA1 does 52 damage, doing the combo above will ave the super do 30 points of damage)

_dementia said:
If it's impossible to rank down, I suppose Rank wouldn't matter.
Giving me nightmares of my VF5 days on Rank. The highest I got was Hunter I believe. Then, went back and forth between 10th Dan and Master(Getting out of Master is a bitch)

RS4-

I would have liked being able to rank down and such, would give me incentive to actually try instead of trolling and killing with the rose every round

Kioshen

Not being able to rank down is missing the point of ranked. They nailed some areas while completely being off the mark on others.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The online rank seems conceived like character BP in SFIV.... just a gauge of how long you've played, but without a PP which is interactive and is a value you can gain or lose.

The odd part, is that 3SO is the "American" game, influenced by western player wants and preferences. Even if Capcom games exist in a vacuum, it seems pretty odd it's not using the interactive rank system like every other Capcom fighter this gen.

Kaijima said:
The online rank seems conceived like character BP in SFIV.... just a gauge of how long you've played, but without a PP which is interactive and is a value you can gain or lose.

The odd part, is that 3SO is the "American" game, influenced by western player wants and preferences. Even if Capcom games exist in a vacuum, it seems pretty odd it's not using the interactive rank system like every other Capcom fighter this gen.
I really hope they start sharing best practices soon. Street Fighter x Tekken seems like thier most complete game in regards to feratureset, but the fighting itself doesn't interest me one bit.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
The Ken army is so strong and numerous in this game its not even funny, like 70% of my rank matches..

the Gouki Pack comes second.

Not many Chuns and Yuns

And god I hate the Oro match up(playing Elena).

Kai Dracon

~Devil Trigger~ said:
The Ken army is so strong and numerous in this game its not even funny, like 70% of my rank matches..

the Gouki Pack comes second.

Not many Chuns and Yuns

And god I hate the Oro match up(playing Elena).

Personally, I am amused that when I do get a Chun, 90% are mediocre players who heard about fishing with low forward into super II - and just sort of dumbly mash low forward the whole match. Without paying attention to spacing, etc.

I've won a lot of matches by just standing outside low forward reach and doing random supers into their face.

Shearie

For all the talk about how OP Chun Li is in this game, all I ever see are mediocre Chun players that I beat pretty easily in Ranked matches. Haven't faced too many good Yun's either. Overall I agree that it's mostly a Kenfest.

Edit: Ahhhhh. A little late with my post but basically, what Kaijima said.

Tobe

~Devil Trigger~ said:
oh no, not complaining, just saying.

we all knew the deal we where getting into, the lack of Chuns is more suprising.
cant really hit confirm cr.mk xx SAII online

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I do not mind lag, it comes and goes but rollbacks are the worst. Don't like hitting people with stuff only to be on the floor a second later.

Kai Dracon

Here is a very silly match from last night of Ryu (me) vs ranked Hugo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4Vng8T_HA4&feature=colike

Spoiler: what you can't see here is that the Hugo had the worst connection I've played yet, and we were teleporting so much it was like goddamn Mortal Kombat in there.

It's funny though how even with massive rollback happening, you can still parry projectiles like a boss. (I've done it too.) I guess that's because they have a very predictable trajectory once they're launched?

cj_iwakura

I love playing as Remy so much. At first I picked him because he was different and under-utilized, now I think he's genuinely awesome. I think I'm a sucker for underdog characters.

Shame his taunt takes so dang long. It's leaves you WIDE open.

What's this about music packs? The OST available for the menus is really lackluster. You don't even get a good mix of Dudley's theme, or the full cuts; just the first segment.

Oh, and I had a match where I parried a fireball after the match ended. Fun stuff.

Shearie

1.01 patch is out in the U.S. for PSN. Here's what it changes:

• Fixes a bug that made it difficult to get into a Ranked Match, especially during times of peak traffic.

• Fixes a bug that could cause players to have very large disconnection percentages (> 100)

• Fixes a bug that could cause characters to become invisible online, or to be displayed with incorrect colors.

• Fixes a bug that sometimes caused Hugo’s combo trial #2 to not detect correctly.

• Fixes a bug that permitted an exploit in Trial mode when using "stun" settings.

• Fixes some rare crashes.

• Improves network stability.

• Adds support for additional DLC packs.

• Raises the online level cap.

I noticed it was a bit faster to find rank matches on PSN than pre patch, also I ran into a problem was i was on the xmb while it was searching for rank matches and when i found my opponent, we both ready and it just sat there even after timer counted down. After the game quit by itself...

I don't get booted out to the lobby anymore while searching for matches, which is a plus. Also, the costume buttons now reflect what you have your buttons set to instead of default.

Shearie

So after playing ranked matches for most of the day after the patch, matchmaking is definitely faster. Ranked matchmaking wasn't bad for me before the patch but every once in awhile it would take too long to get me connected with someone, but now I seem to connect with people within 5 seconds every time.

LakeEarth

Just in time. Last night I couldn't get a single ranked game going on XBL. Seriously, I tried a dozen times, error every time, plugged xbox directly to modem, 5 more errors, beat the game in single player to give it 15-20 minutes, and tried 10 more times. Error, error, error...

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
LakeEarth said:
Just in time. Last night I couldn't get a single ranked game going on XBL. Seriously, I tried a dozen times, error every time, plugged xbox directly to modem, 5 more errors, beat the game in single player to give it 15-20 minutes, and tried 10 more times. Error, error, error...
I read online that the xbl patch is going to take about 2 weeks to surface.

Top Bottom