• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeteh

I've never seen anyone complain about the hori commander, if you're a dpad user you should get it IMO

lol, I can't even do a hadoken with the dpad so yeah..

I've seen people in this thread either say the DPad is great or its shit on the commander. So who knows.

I'm surprised by that, I have no issues inputting specials on an analog but I feel like I end up jumping constantly when I don't mean to.

I've seen people in this thread either say the DPad is great or its shit on the commander. So who knows.

I'm surprised by that, I have no issues inputting specials on an analog but I feel like I end up jumping constantly when I don't mean to.
The pad on the regular fighting commander is better than the one on the fighting commander 4 in my opinion.

GGS man...sorry i was playing a little weak at the end there, wanted to give you a few matches before signing off...

Next time Chaotix, I’m done for the night brah...Give Flux some hell for me, I didn’t feel like playing his guessing game today I was just trying to DP him...

I’ll be glad when Rog comes out man...lol

I don't trust you.
I bought my Madcatz TE back in 2009 for $80 on sale and you can see them on Amazon for $400 right now, so he's for real about them holding their value.

I seriously started using my stick not even six months ago after using a pad my whole life and I honestly can't go back. I'm not going to say it has made me a better player but my inputs are more distinct and cleaner than they ever have been.

Trying one out at a friends house isn't going to be enough. You'll need weeks or months with it before the muscle memory really grabs a hold to where it's second nature and you can honestly compare it to the pad you've been using your whole life. I was still debating up until two months ago and after a lot of back and fourth, the stick feels better for me now.

I actually have my hours of competitive SF play with the stick through Steam.

40 hours of SFIV with a stick and 200 hours of SFV with a stick.

My brain has completely switched over which actually kind of makes me sad, like leaving an old friend for a new one but it's for the better for me personally.

Edit: I also recommend getting an octagonal gate so you'll still have that eight directional feel like with a pad. Square (standard) and circular gates suck. I can't use them.

Xeteh

I bought my Madcatz TE back in 2009 for $80 on sale and you can see them on Amazon for $400 right now, so he's for real about them holding their value.

I seriously started using my stick not even six months ago after using a pad my whole life and I honestly can't go back. I'm not going to say it has made me a better player but my inputs are more distinct and cleaner than they ever have been.

Trying one out at a friends house isn't going to be enough. You'll need weeks or months with it before the muscle memory really grabs a hold to where it's second nature and you can honestly compare it to the pad you've been using your whole life. I was still debating up until two months ago and after a lot of back and fourth, the stick feels better for me now.

My brain has completely switched over which actually kind of makes me sad, like leaving an old friend for a new one but it's for the better for me personally.

Oh, I'm just talking shit to qcfx2, not that I don't actually believe him.

Honestly, if I had the cash I'd buy a stick but between not having a lot of money to spend on one and not really being sure if it will work for me, that is the real reason I'm holding off. I know they're worth it but its a big investment.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth

Interestingly, I can go back to a (good) pad very easily, like trying on an old pair of jeans that still fit. In fact, I would say my charging skills are still better on a pad. But yeah, it's stick fo' life for me now. Love 'em to death. Speaking of charging--the Hayabusa stick is absolutely no good for me when using Guile. I *need* the tension of the LS-40. I was missing tons of flash kick punishes on the Hayabusa. Makes me want to install a 2lb spring to see....

Xeteh

Interestingly, I can go back to a (good) pad very easily, like trying on an old pair of jeans that still fit. In fact, I would say my charging skills are still better on a pad. But yeah, it's stick fo' life for me now. Love 'em to death. Speaking of charging--the Hayabusa stick is absolutely no good for me when using Guile. I *need* the tension of the LS-40. I was missing tons of flash kick punishes on the Hayabusa. Makes me want to install a 2lb spring to see....

For whatever reason, I think charge moves are super easy on pad until it comes to charge supers. Bfbf just doesn't work for me on dpad, I guess I slide my thumb too much but even trying to lift and press, I'm too imprecise. If I was better with it I might have played Guile because I'm more defensive by nature.

Maybe my issue is character based as well. I bet if I tried Ryu with a pad it will still feel natural. I've only played Nash in SFV and 99% of the time with a stick so playing him with a pad feels strange.

Also this has nothing to do with anything but, one of the reasons I switch to stick is because of charge characters. When SFIV first came out I played it so much that I developed a hand injury from using so much force holding 'down back' under the stress of intense combat. I had to steer and shift with my right hand.

Not too long after that I got my stick, didn't really feel good using it, didn't want another injury from pads so I just gave up on SFIV all together and my stick was sitting for six or seven years before SFV released.

But, I also don't play charge characters anymore for reasons unrelated to the injury.

Edgeward

Thanks for the matches edge that was alot of fun. Gave me insight on hard hard vega is when im using necalli. Hope the connection was good.

Connection was fine, no worries there. Just work on your pressure plan and have the courage to commit to your reads/plan. You are very defensive for a Nec player, and while it is good you don't wake up dp it is too much to your disadvantage. You are effectively eliminating your option, I never had to worry in knockdown situation for it. And learn to punish the vega roll, it's -6 for the lk version. I did it a lot and got away scot-free.

GGs, my man

FluxWaveZ

Inv sent, Flux.

Yeah Omni, looking forward to our next set. Last one was fun.

GGs. I actually feel like I can keep up now, and I actually have the confidence to win. Still, I still go crazy sometimes, and that doesn't help me since you always have an answer for when I do.

The problems I'll have to address now are: getting stuck in the corner and... well, I'll watch the replays to think of another. Keeping cool is probably one.

cHaotix8

GG's Flux! I need to grab some grub. Gotta get those anti airs down to keep me grounded.

GGs. I actually feel like I can keep up now, and I actually have the confidence to win. Still, I still go crazy sometimes, and that doesn't help me since you always have an answer for when I do.

The problems I'll have to address now are: getting stuck in the corner and... well, I'll watch the replays to think of another. Keeping cool is probably one.

I liked the confidence you showed in walking/dashing forward. I was looking for a whiff punish/anti air, so mixing that in with the range on her command throw makes it really scary to approach on the ground.

I know EX Typhoon does a grip but the positioning afterwards isn't that great. I'd rather get hit by that than anything else that would leave you right next to me.

Connection was fine, no worries there. Just work on your pressure plan and have the courage to commit to your reads/plan. You are very defensive for a Nec player, and while it is good you don't wake up dp it is too much to your disadvantage. You are effectively eliminating your option, I never had to worry in knockdown situation for it. And learn to punish the vega roll, it's -6 for the lk version. I did it a lot and got away scot-free.

GGs, my man

Thanks for the info I keep forgetting how good dp is and yeah i knew it was negative but couldnt find what to use to punish it. Ill just go to training and try to figure it out thanks again.

qcf x2

Oh, I'm just talking shit to qcfx2, not that I don't actually believe him.

Honestly, if I had the cash I'd buy a stick but between not having a lot of money to spend on one and not really being sure if it will work for me, that is the real reason I'm holding off. I know they're worth it but its a big investment.

I knew you trusted me. Now if only you would accept my coaching :-T

The other thing I'll say about your situation is that it's better to get a stick sooner than later, because at the very beginning you aren't going to be able to do anything and it's going to be frustrating for weeks if not a month or two. You're relearning how to do basic things, so it's a lot more frustrating if you're already what you'd consider to be good, because you're going to be garbage all over again until you adjust and it clicks.

Yeah, weirdly it's much easier to transition to / downgrade to a pad. It's not the same but it's not like you're going to be struggling to do a hadouken consistently.

GGs flux. I can't believe I got hit with EVERY SINGLE ex Peach. 100% success rate.

Oh by the way, Mika is one of the only characters that can punish Vega's LP Slash. Ex Peach of course.

Xeteh

I knew you trusted me. Now if only you would accept my coaching :-T

The other thing I'll say about your situation is that it's better to get a stick sooner than later, because at the very beginning you aren't going to be able to do anything and it's going to be frustrating for weeks if not a month or two. You're relearning how to do basic things, so it's a lot more frustrating if you're already what you'd consider to be good, because you're going to be garbage all over again until you adjust and it clicks.

I accept your coaching, I'm just ass... but hey, I learned to pressure Alex with normals!

The stick is mostly a cost thing. If I had the money to burn, I'd buy a stick in a heartbeat... but as much as I love SFV, I'd rather spend my spare cash on games. One day, I'll get a stick but I don't want to buy a cheap one because fuck it, its cheap. I want to get a decent one.

DD-11

I accept your coaching, I'm just ass... but hey, I learned to pressure Alex with normals!

The stick is mostly a cost thing. If I had the money to burn, I'd buy a stick in a heartbeat... but as much as I love SFV, I'd rather spend my spare cash on games. One day, I'll get a stick but I don't want to buy a cheap one because fuck it, its cheap. I want to get a decent one.

I was in your position during sfiv. I got tired of replacing worn out pads and so I bought a stick. I sucked for a solid month, but since then my execution is way better. I'm capable of more complicated combos than I every was before. That's my experience anyway.

Edgeward

Getting a hori one would be a good option since you could play it on ps3/4 and PC and it has xinput so it would be compatible with almost all of your steam games no problem. Being able to play your old/emulated pc games on a stick is great

qcf x2

I was watching Maximillian's Pocket Fighter play through. We need a re-release or a sequel. ;_;

Pocket/Gem Fighter was truly underappreciated in every way. Separately, Puzzle Fighter should have been an unlockable with SFV. Such hype in that game.

Astrael

Pocket/Gem Fighter was truly underappreciated in every way. Separately, Puzzle Fighter should have been an unlockable with SFV. Such hype in that game.

I loved Pocket Fighter survival mode because it had Breath of Fire characters in the background... I think it's the only time a Capcom crossover has acknowledged them outside of the series (I know SF has appeared in BoF before). I loved the music to the game too, and Dan was amazing lol.

Zekes!

Man fuck you Casuals for putting my Rookie ranked ass against a Silver Karin when I'm trying to work on my Alex. At least I got one W.

Took out my frustrations on some dude's Rashid.

Probably gonna lose to this Guile though

Astrael and I were beating each other down in a lobby but I made a new one and invited you

My first invite failed because the lobby was 2 player only. My bad.

Can I join? I have a few minutes before bed. I'm using a round gate for the time being so that's my excuse if you see a lot of jumping when I should be throwing booms or flash kicks.

AdversaryOne

Xeteh

Can I join? I have a few minutes before bed. I'm using a round gate for the time being so that's my excuse if you see a lot of jumping when I should be throwing booms or flash kicks.

AdversaryOne

First chance I get to invite, sure... the fact i can't invite while spectating is dumb.

I didn't think anyone would want to join so I didn't bother to set a password. That's my bad.

Also gonna change lounge settings to best of 1 instead of what it is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom