• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Crab Milk's guidance is too good. How the hell am I gonna scrub out wins with Dhalsim now? This was a mistake.

I need to read that guide. I started from not knowing what to do against Dhalsim's crap to doing pretty well against him. They're not so scary to deal with, anymore, and I feel like the "Dhalsim is nuts" conversation that was happening near the game's launch has subsided.

FACE

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201579672]Tokido is the most together person in the FGC. He's always ready for everything and ahead of everyone.

Isn't he a biologist or something? That might be taking up the time he has when he's not playing.[/QUOTE]

He's an engineer iirc.

mbpm1

taunt5xkkqe.gif

sorry anti-taunt gaf

what is wrong with you, you have irreparably damaged the reputation of all fighting gamers on line

cHaotix8

Heh, might use my rare encounters with damdai as landmarks for my progress in SFV. Actually took a match this time.

I let go of my fear from last time, but that also meant I was too crazy. There's a good middle ground somewhere there, heh.

Going against him is nuts. Just by watching, it might seem that sometimes he's just throwing fireballs with no regards to safety, but it's insane how calculated it all feels when I'm in it. It's like I'm thinking, "surely you won't throw another fireball right now because you could suffer a lot from it" and then he throws a fireball. And if I'm thinking, "alright, he's just going to throw another fireball like last time," he doesn't. I seek that ability to constantly be in another player's head.

Couldn't really pull off the EX Peach punish this time, though I've been practising it. His pinpoint timing makes it real hard for me to pull off right now.

That was a good set, loved the patience. Have you tried using EX shoot down to stop people from jumping back out of your pressure? That seems like it'd be pretty good when you know people are scared of the grounded throw. Go for the tick hit confirm then if they block, look for the jump.

rec0ded1

got my first rage quit lulz. Does anyone actually select anything other than a 5 connection and if so are 3 to 4 connections not that bad?

FluxWaveZ

That was a good set, loved the patience. Have you tried using EX shoot down to stop people from jumping back out of your pressure? That seems like it'd be pretty good when you know people are scared of the grounded throw. Go for the tick hit confirm then if they block, look for the jump.

Oh man, that sounds like a hard read kind of deal. I think it's something I could keep in mind, though I feel safer with st.LP or st.MP to catch them out of a jump, and follow-up with EX Peach if I can. Generally, from comments, I guess EX Peach has flexible uses that I'm not using properly, or at least enough.

qcf x2

I've had opponents hit crossup but land in front, and vis versa. Once people figure out ways to consistently pull this off, things are going to get interesting.

I think Capcom hasn't fixed it yet because 1.) it's probably somewhat complicated (and we know even the easy things aren't easy for them these days) and 2.) it doesn't seem to have cost anybody significant money in tournaments yet.

Heh, might use my rare encounters with damdai as landmarks for my progress in SFV. Actually took a match this time.

I let go of my fear from last time, but that also meant I was too crazy. There's a good middle ground somewhere there, heh.

Going against him is nuts. Just by watching, it might seem that sometimes he's just throwing fireballs with no regards to safety, but it's insane how calculated it all feels when I'm in it. It's like I'm thinking, "surely you won't throw another fireball right now because you could suffer a lot from it" and then he throws a fireball. And if I'm thinking, "alright, he's just going to throw another fireball like last time," he doesn't. I seek that ability to constantly be in another player's head.

Couldn't really pull off the EX Peach punish this time, though I've been practising it. His pinpoint timing makes it real hard for me to pull off right now.

Much better, although if you're looking for tips, in the very first round you were so committed to doing your patented body splash that you didn't realize he misspaced a fireball and you had a free jumping heavy kick (0:43). You also missed some ex peach punish opportunities after blocking heavy normals (his st HP and sweep) but I think you won that round.

You've probably done this, but when I play Mika and I have the opponent in the corner (on wakeup), sometimes I stay back at sweep-only range and wait for them to sweat to death. Provided I have at least one EX bar I don't feel there's much some opponents can do to her there. I'm far enough that I can anticipate a jump in and do cr mp if not WAP (which sometimes misses if too close), but close enough that if they whiff something I can punish, or if they get defensive I can dash > grab. Because of the hit box of her f+mp you can chance that as well, since it's longer than most mediums and some heavies. Not saying it would have worked against him, but it's something I do.

I do wish I had a local scene where I could consistently play some great players; I'm sure I'd be improving faster if I didn't just have netplay. I need to spend more time in Battle Lounges, I think.

And yeah, I'm starting to like gimmick Nadeshiko calls like blocked cr.HP > Nadeshiko less and less because a lot of V-Reversals will just nullify everything. Unless it's an actual hit, I'm going to start reserving meter more now for my own V-Reversals.

Yeah I try the cheesy setups once and if the opponent knows what's up I have absolutely no problem using Nadeshiko as an anti air/ anti fireball / anti pressure single hit that lets me get in (or out). That's really where I think she shines, as it gives my brain a split second to catch up while throwing the opponent off for the same amount of time.

I won't taunt, but I'll sometimes do the same kind of thing with Mika if I pull off a rope throw and I know that the wall bounce will kill them. I'll take out the mic right before "K.O." appears so she ends the match by throwing the mic on the opponent lying down.

I'm against no purpose taunting but the mic is an attack. It's weird to see people react to it like a taunt. It's the same deal w/ Alex's vskill, but in his case it probably looks more like a taunt because you typically do it after a knockdown / stun.

Could you imagine if that happened to Sanford

Or lowtiergod
Or
Mike Ross

FluxWaveZ

You've probably done this, but when I play Mika and I have the opponent in the corner (on wakeup), sometimes I stay back at sweep-only range and wait for them to sweat to death. Provided I have at least one EX bar I don't feel there's much some opponents can do to her there. I'm far enough that I can anticipate a jump in and do cr mp if not WAP (which sometimes misses if too close), but close enough that if they whiff something I can punish, or if they get defensive I can dash > grab. Because of the hit box of her f+mp you can chance that as well, since it's longer than most mediums and some heavies. Not saying it would have worked against him, but it's something I do.

I've been thinking a lot about this and sometimes I do it, but I really need to make it a habit. My impatience usually makes me think "I've got them in the corner, now to finish them off asap before they get out," but backing away and waiting for THEM to make a mistake in that situation and not me is a good way to go about things. Usually I'll get too tense in that kind of moment, so I'll eat a dash-in throw, but it's something I'll have to adjust to.

Also, using EX Peach as an actual punish to an opponent's normals isn't something I've been doing. Will do.

Piloting Necalli vs piloting Karin is rather different. I thought I'd be dearly missing her long-ranged buttons but his movement and dash speed more than make up for it.

Got a lot of practice with combos to do. I also wanna figure out the best ways to use his trigger. So far since I haven't memorized his combos, I trigger when an opponent jumps in. Leads to a pretty dirty EX DP.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I dont get Capcom.. they "nerfed R Mika's butt slap" but then they went HAM on Laura's costumes @__@

Oh man, that sounds like a hard read kind of deal. I think it's something I could keep in mind, though I feel safer with st.LP or st.MP to catch them out of a jump, and follow-up with EX Peach if I can. Generally, from comments, I guess EX Peach has flexible uses that I'm not using properly, or at least enough.
Hey Flux, I ran into him on my alt account as well...smh

let the rank get to me and made a bunch of mistakes man...

Glad you took a match from him, we can beat this dude baby! Let’s level up!

https://youtu.be/YplJXT2kL_s

mbpm1

Got DC'd

RIP my chances of learning more from that Rashid I guess

He was good enough to give me a challenge but he never stopped attacking so he was a good workout for my anti-airs, spacing, okizeme etc

An ideal training partner this night

FluxWaveZ

Hey Flux, I ran into him on my alt account as well...smh

let the rank get to me and made a bunch of mistakes man...

Glad you took a match from him, we can beat this dude baby! Let’s level up!

https://youtu.be/YplJXT2kL_s

Haha, great to see that calculated fireball spam remains the go-to even when going against a character with fireballs.

It you were a bit scared, I don't think you showed it much during the very first two rounds. I felt a bit of fear and a lot more hesitation after that, though.

Sorry, I'm not great at the advice thing, but I can say that I think you were doing a lot better when you made him approach you rather than the other way around. When you matched his fireball spam or exceeded it, he'd generally stop and actually jump over them towards you to close the distance. That's when you'd sometimes hit with a shoryuken, or whatever else that would turn the tide in your favor. You did a lot more of the approaching, though, and that was getting you messed up a lot of the time. I would have liked to see you force him to approach you instead more often.

It's surprising how one's mental state will have such a significant impact on how someone plays, aside from their actual skill. I'm getting better at dealing with opponents who would intimidate me before, but—and I hate this about myself—I'll still sometimes see opponents with lower LP or who I perceive to be weaker and tell myself that whatever I do, I'll end up winning. And that's when I get messed up and lose 150 LP or something. I need to concentrate on my psyche during a match more.

Mr. X

You guys realize you're making up Laura's personality? Nothing she says or in her moveset has a sexy attitude, it's literally only her posing and outfits. She is actually a sex doll.

FluxWaveZ

You guys realize you're making up Laura's personality? Nothing she says or in her moveset has a sexy attitude, it's literally only her posing and outfits. She is actually a sex doll.

I would say that a character's movements convey their personality. Even her j.LP is her striking a model pose. An aspect of her character is obviously that she likes to show her body off.

GAF seems to have a big Mika army. I'm one of them. I love this music video on the Mika hate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgvLMrntpXU

Love the Mika buttslap CA. RIP buttslap.

The buttslap is whatever, but I'm annoyed they also took off the leg split at the end of her CA.

I STILL don't get that change. I had to go back and look the video when they originally showed her off to make sure I didn't imagine it.
That entire uproar over Mika, was just... ugh. I've been on Gaf for over ten years and the only ban I've ever gotten was during that idiotic controversy, lol. :p

Durden77

I've been so weird about this game since they've shown Guile. I like....don't even wanna play it anymore until he's added. It doesn't feel complete.

Xeteh

So I'm just mindlessly screwing around in training mode while watching other stuff... I've been disconnected from server twice in 10 minutes.

u wot Capcpom

mbpm1

This Ryu incarnation is pretty fucking great, though. I guess his ceiling is just lower compared to Nash, Ken or Vega? I don't get why we don''t see top pro players not named Daigo using him.

Bc they have honor and don't use cheap characters

jk

I'd be curious if Guile will still counter Ryu in this version

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";201603120]Nash and Necalli are both good vs Ryu. Lots of characters are relatively even.

It's not like Ryu is broken, he's just very well rounded. Most characters have weaknesses you can point to, Ryu doesn't.[/QUOTE]
A character without weaknesses is not a good thing. :mad:

There are a lot of salty comments I'll redact, but SFV Ryu is not one of them. He's a fucking Gundam to players, an amazingly safe character with answers to absolutely every advance.

I've literally improved against every character in the game, but not Ryu, and he's by far the most used online. It's like no practice can really break into him for me.

LakeEarth

Lost 96 points to an obvious lag switcher. Suddenly everything goes to shit in the last round, and he's doing perfectly fine combos while I'm struggling to even see what's going on. Should've just dropped on him.

Avoid 3InchesOfTerror, if you can.

Does any character counter Ryu.
In most games Dhalsim does pretty well against him. Not sure about this game.

Ryu is great though. He's a very balanced character, as he should be. Not the best at everything but pretty damn good at everything.

There are a lot of salty comments I'll redact, but SFV Ryu is not one of them. He's a fucking Gundam to players, an amazingly safe character with answers to absolutely every scenario.
Ryu generally doesn't have weaknesses. His weakness is that he's Ryu. He's very solid but never excels in anything.

AdanVC

I've been playing SFV on my cousin's PS4 a lot and I freaking love it! I'm not a big fan of fighting games and I can say this game could get me hooked into the genre due to the awesome and tight controls. Got so inspired especially with Chun-Li that I drew her. Hope it's ok to post it here :)

tumblr_o4u8b7o8JT1qdl9q3o1_540.jpg

Ryu's been like that in every game. It just happens that in this game that good fireballs and meterless invincible reversals are a scarcity, which is unusual for a street fighter.

In most games Dhalsim does pretty well against him.

Not sure about this one. Ryu is great though. He's a very balanced character, as he should be. Not the best at everything but pretty damn good at everything.

Ryu matchup is kinda wacked out in this game because his jLK beats a lot of Dhalsim anti airs like cMP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom