• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zerojul

I think he's saying it's not a very common situation ig, and can be easily avoiding it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209184715]I just think comboing off a throw in general is a pretty abnormal thing. I didn't mean it in the sense that it was broken.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, ok then.

Xeteh

Holy shit.

I can't believe that if Ibuki uses her V-meter and her super that she does... like... 500 damage.

RIP SFV.

Game over.

Zackat

Man it feels good to be back in. I'm finally back to where I was before Souls and Overwatch.
Gold, here I come.
I regressed pretty far. Gonna take a while to build back up. Need to get my matchup knowledge all straight again. Also started messing with one of these cellphone apps for frame data. You guys use these?

I regressed pretty far. Gonna take a while to build back up. Need to get my matchup knowledge all straight again. Also started messing with one of these cellphone apps for frame data. You guys use these?

Yeah, I used to use FAT but after it turned out it's not all that reliable, I switched to V-Frames.

You guys find that stuff very usefull? I could always use another edge.
It's not gonna help if you don't already know how to fight against a character or properly use your own but when you do, it gives you that extra edge to plan out strategies and responses.

Like I know that FANG's st.hk is +1 on block, and my quickest light is 4 frames. That means that 3-framers will always beat my throw, or trade with my light while 4-framers will always be at a disadvantage.

And that Laura's light elbow charge is -2 oB so if you have a 5 frame medium or just a light attack,use it. At best, it'll beat whatever she's throwing out and at worst it'll keep her off of you and create some distance.

I mean that's just a very small example.

You guys find that stuff very usefull? I could always use another edge.

I personally find frame data incredibly useful. I like to know what I can use in combos, and how minus or plus I am on stuff so I can figure out setups and frame traps, and I try to memorize all of my character's normals' startup, block advantage, and hit advantage. Other players might not do the same thing I do, and are still as or more successful than me. It all depends on you. But in general it helps to know what are your safe options for pressure, and knowing when to punish the opponent.

It's not gonna help if you don't already know how to fight against a character or properly use your own but when you do, it gives you that extra edge to plan out strategies and responses.

Like I know that FANG's st.hk is +1 on block, and my quickest light is 4 frames. That means that 3-framers will always beat my throw, or trade with my light while 4-framers will always be at a disadvantage.

And that Laura's light elbow charge is -2 oB so if you have a 5 frame medium or just a light attack,use it. At best, it'll beat whatever she's throwing out and at worst it'll keep her off of you and create some distance.

I mean that's just a very small example.

I personally find frame data incredibly useful. I like to know what I can use in combos, and how minus or plus I am on stuff so I can figure out setups and frame traps, and I try to memorize all of my character's normals' startup, block advantage, and hit advantage. Other players might not do the same thing I do, and are still as or more successful than me. It all depends on you. But in general it helps to know what are your safe options for pressure, and knowing when to punish the opponent.

Oh right right right. I thought you guys were talking about hurt and hit boxes, like the stuff you could examine in skullgirls. Sorry, I'm still a bit of a rookie at this terminology.
Course, I've read up on my main's frame data, but I haven't really given others a look tbh.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Yo, Enero has an up+MP command launcher wtf lol. sMP xx sMP is also a target combo where the 2nd MP is that same launcher.

Might make a simple video demoing the dolls later.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209183263]There's obviously some sort of design philosophy for SFV that is trying to exclude good anti airs from the game and I just don't really get it. Maybe they found that new players hate not being able to jump? But given how many changes in general are towards making a more fair SF, it does seem a little odd.[/QUOTE]
Yeah....remember this? http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/...-jump-attacks-street-fighter-5-any-character/

"Moves that are good as a jump-in generally increase your hurtbox as well — before the hitbox expands. If you just have the right timing against an anti-air, you should be able to beat it with any character," explained Woshige.

While anti-airing in Street Fighter is a very core part of the gameplay, it sounds like SF5's developers are trying to give every character a viable way of defeating jump-in attacks — which hasn't always been the case.

I've been playing around with Ryu and he's pretty fun. And that damage, holy cow.

You have discovered the godlike top tier character that is Ryu. Remember to:

A) Jump in all day with J.LK
B) Play a good fireball game with Hadokens
C) Frame trap the living crap out of your opponents with excellent plus on block normals.
D) Do perfect, easy, and effective meaty setups of every KD.
E) Shimmy your opponents with forward dash, backdash, St.HK cause why not.
F) Punish opponents with Ryu's freight train damage.
G) If you're feeling extra Daigo-like, parry your opponent's V-Reversal cause that's the ultimate mental guard break.
H) Speaking of guard breaks, do them off CC Sweep cancelled into V-Trigger cause this character needs.
I) Finally, anti-air with the best anti air in the game, MP DP, and make your foes question why they thought they could jump in like you do.

You forgot to mention the best thing about Ryu, his amazing tatsu gimmick. In a way it's better than the back dash shimmy because it beats both a slightly and heavily delayed throw tech. Even on whiff I fly away to safety most of the time because my opponent is crouching and don't react with a punish.

I've been abusing the hell out of that thing lately with great results. It kind of reminds me of Evil Ryu's hop luck from USF4. Maybe that's why I like it so much.

LakeEarth

Just had a hype match win against a Gold Nash. Dude was great, but it was hilarious finding out that his tick throws on wakeup are his weakness and he ate those lk elbow slashes like he was a masochist. I can't stress how much I hate Alex's CA lmao. Several times tonight it felt like his CA just purposefully left a pixel of life left despite hit confirming when it felt like they were below 400 health. It's like he is the exact opposite of Karin with her big Ohoho finishers.
Yup, frame data says Alex CA does 10 more damage, but for some reason it seems like Karin's does more on that last hit. Maybe Alex just scales in less hits?

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Santamu's frame data and chain combos are amazing. sMP links or chains into just about anything, and several normals chain into sLK, which in turn chains into sHK xx Spear. lmao

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";209184436]Why can Ibuki do 482 damage off a normal throw

L9mG7j.gif
[/QUOTE]

Ibuki is a marvel character

Hey, remember that extremely salty guy I ran into? Well, I ran into him again only this time he was playing Ibuki.

Let's just say that I was quite liberal with my command grabbing and by the end I had him in the corner. He kept holding up, expecting me to command grab, only I overheaded him.

Then the same thing happened.

Then it happened again.

3 overheads in a row.

Then he messaged me again saying something along the lines of "Hope you think you're good, you tryhard".

I responded "I do, thanks".

kirblar

"Tryhard" is used wrong as an insult like 95% of the time, lol. It's only one if you're in a casual mode raging. If it's a ranked game - of course people are playing to win.

HardRojo

Ryu is really fun to play, been messing around with him in casuals lately and it's a nice change from Nash (lol top tier characters). Will try one charge character in preparation for Urien.

Ryu is really fun to play, been messing around with him in casuals lately and it's a nice change from Nash (lol top tier characters). Will try one charge character in preparation for Urien.
Nash is top tier but Ryu is higher. They're both top tier though, you clearly have a type.

"Tryhard" is used wrong as an insult like 95% of the time, lol. It's only one if you're in a casual mode raging. If it's a ranked game - of course people are playing to win.
It was casuals granted, but I just playing as Birdie. What does he expect me to do, just keep bull heading constantly?

RM8

Again, welcome to the top-tier club which you were not a part of before.

That's a new development for me. I keep reading Dhalsim is super OP in this game? :0 I usually main low tiers (not deliberately!
most of the time
) so I thought this was a nice change of pace, lol.

Balrog is fun but he's definitely got some flaws.

- I really don't like that they took away his headbutt. It was such a great move for punishing players that would constantly neutral jump to punish any rush punches and jump ins in general. I feel like that whole space where it was a bad idea to jump near Rog is gone. BUT he does have some really good AA normals to make up for it.
-All the normal rush punches are terrible on block and have to be spaced properly to be used safely. Not really a huge drawback, just in SF4 one of Rog's biggest weaknesses was his LP dash straight being -3 on block and now it's -4 lol. It's a free super for Laura/Mika and probably other characters.
-No wakeup game. I'm not sure what they're philosophy is exactly with making a lot of characters armour moves starting at frame 3. I kinda understand that they don't want hyper offensive characters to also have get off me attacks when they start to get rushed down but like.. Necalli and Ken both have invincible meterless DP's while being offensive powerhouses tbh. Don't really get it. I think not having an invincible special with or without meter is the difference between being top and mid tier IMO. Some characters (Nash) don't really fall into my theory but eh.
-This isn't much of a flaw, more like a personal thing but I don't feel like his st.HK CC is strong enough to scare players off from pressing buttons during his blockstrings/pressure. The damage he gets off of a st.HK CC varies depending on how close you are to the opponent and most of the time it isn't a huge chunk of damage. I can't really comment on cr.HP CC but you do get some decent damage off of it if you're holding TAP. But yea, just pressing a 3f button during his pressure doesn't yet seem like a bad idea, if they ever go for V-Skill you'll probably get a counter hit. This will change with time but for now pls stahp pressin buttons and let me work ;-;
this is also because I don't know any good frame traps yet
-No armour on rush punches except for the one that goes no where and starts on frame 3. Thankfully you have TAP and V-Skill to deal with fireballs now at least. I kinda wish he had a proper dash upper so you could catch people constantly neutral jumping.
-V-Skill hook is -4 and overhead is -8. I mean I understand his overhead is really good/kinda quick and he can net really good damage off of it but -8 fam. Meanwhile Chun's overhead is -2 and she can combo from it lmao

His positives:

-Stupid good damage
-His buttons are pretty decent. I knew the first time I used that st.MK that it'd be great for counter poking and buffering + buffering into dash punches like how Necalli players use st.MP buffered into that forward moving claw move.
-Solid AA's, but no real answer to constant crossups. Cr.HP isn't SF4 tier of stuffing out the sun but it does it's job (but trades often)
-cr.MK ~ cr.MK target combo is good, especially since you can just buffer it at a range where they have to walk into it, then V-Trigger cancelling off of it gives you tons of hitstun and damage.
-His V-Trigger is really damaging especially with that damn near instant low starter.
-His CA is so good. The hitbox on it is HUGE I said WOW.
-He has legit empty jump lows now because his cr.LK isn't a 1f link into cr.LP lol.
-+1 after ex. dash straight = still your turn afterwards and -2 on full screen low = you just got in for 1 bar lol
- +3 on st.HK but too bad it doesn't move you forward like Bison's.
-Following his trend in SF4 by having the best costumes
-3f normal that can go into a target combo. At least you get some sort of damage off of it, better than nothing.
-TAP is only -2 on all versions.

I like the character but it's definitely going to take some time to make him work. Really missing that headbutt though :(

My mains in different games:
-Evil Ryu (AE 2012, USFIV)
-Ares, Lobo, Batgirl (Injustice)
-Scorpion, Cyrax (MK9)
-Scorpion, Cage, Cassie, Liu Kang (MKX)
-Nash, Balrog, Alex (SFV)
Am I a filthy tier whore ;_; I have a knack for picking characters that turn out to be top tier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom