• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

I have no idea what you're talking about. The highly skilled detectives at reddit were able to parse through the steamdb to find this out, you should be more respectful

Heh yeah from the wording, it sounded like the people who found it likely weren't familiar with the steam marketplace and cards. You guys can read all about steam market restrictions here if y'all want.

The fang stage posted is just a wallpaper for our profile page in steam.

Neoxon

So I visited an old arcade that I went to when I was a kid. While they were surprisingly still open, they swapped out 3rd Strike for Vanilla SFIV. I spoke with the owner (who was shocked to see how much I've grown) & found out that he was looking to trade up to Ultra or have someone whip up a PC cabinet for SFV. No word on Tekken 7: Fated Retribution, though. As for the other games, MvC1 was sold to a laser tag place closer to my house, MvC2 went to a movie theater in Willowbrook, Super Turbo went to somewhere in Memorial, and I don't remember what he said about Alpha 3 & CvS2's whereabouts (I know they're still in Houston).

The battle tracks from the story mode are all so, so damned good.

SFV definitely brought it back on the OST front after the disaster that was SF4. Man. The Ryu remix in story mode is better than the standard SFV version.

Only two top American Lauras I can cheer for are Wolfkrone and Mike Ross. My standards are so low I'll cheer for anyone that plays Laura at this point.

I know those low tier character fan blues brah.

8IuB4.gif

Floe's stream has been great tonight. Some guy said he would pay him 50 if Floe beats his Mika in a FT3. He loses and the says double or nothing but Floe has to use Gief. Floe has no idea how to play Gief but figures he could beat his Mika. The guy uses Nash instead and beats Floe 3-1.

It looks like Floe took a hard loss assuming this guy was actually going to pay. But then he gets some huge donation from viewers. First was 20, 2nd guy donated 50, and then a 3rd guy donated 100. Looks like it was well worth it for him to go through that.

Xeteh

This game destroys my soul... I feel like I have improved and go online... win my first match and promptly lose what few points I have. What a depressing game.

This game destroys my soul... I feel like I have improved and go online... win my first match and promptly lose what few points I have. What a depressing game.

If I can summon some advice, it's learn to have more fun with it. Getting better is not just about winning, it's learning, it's practicing, and more than even that it's Fucking with people!

I just learned some dumb trick from a Momochi video for Necalli. Whiffing cr.mp from mid range, and then randomly typing in L disc g when you see the opponent react/try something.
Hardly OP tactics, but it seemed to mess up my opponents. Led me to a 4-1 win count for the evening. But more importantly, I learned something new and used it to fuck up some people. Fun.

GorillaJu

I dislike point-based ranking systems in general because it doesn't give you a real indication of your improvement in the game. It's not just SF5 that has this problem. It's so depressing to lose a bunch of points, it feels like you aren't getting better at the game at all.

I like it in Excellent Adventures where it's just kind of a joke for them, but for me who doesn't have anyone to play with offline, my one real solid indicator of whether or not I'm improving is LP.

Zackat

We need to make a grp to practice in. My LP dropped below silver then I said fuck it and started to really play Laura. Now I'm at super bronze, but I somewhat learned a new character.

I probably need to start posting some replays either in here or in the fighting game noob thread. My suckage since returning full-time to this game has been something else.

fresquito

I dislike point-based ranking systems in general because it doesn't give you a real indication of your improvement in the game. It's not just SF5 that has this problem. It's so depressing to lose a bunch of points, it feels like you aren't getting better at the game at all.

I like it in Excellent Adventures where it's just kind of a joke for them, but for me who doesn't have anyone to play with offline, my one real solid indicator of whether or not I'm improving is LP.
Who cares whether you improve or not? Are you having fun or not? That's where it is.

Soul crushing is more like it. When I lose I tend to go berserk and want to earn more point. Buut I tend to lose more when I did that lol

Steroyd

Who cares whether you improve or not? Are you having fun or not? That's where it is.

Fun and improvement can go hand in hand if you don't improve and fall victim to the same shit repetitively it can stop being fun, that said basing improvement via the points system isn't a good measurement either.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The hell happened with Smug? Ended his stream early and tweets it was his last stream. Hope he's ok, he's one of my favorites.

fresquito

Fun and improvement can go hand in hand if you don't improve and fall victim to the same shit repetitively it can stop being fun, that said basing improvement via the points system isn't a good measurement either.
If you fall for the same shit then it is obvious you are not improving :-D

I honestly don't need any points or graphical showcase to tell me whether I'm better at playing the game or not. The fights themselves speak loud enough, IMO.

mitchlol

So my Madcatz fightpad arrived finally. As widely reported the D-pad is pretty trash, so much so that even using it in the menus you can tell that even pressing the pad doesn't register. You really have to press it hard to get it to work. Thankfully I use thumbstick and as far as the thumbstick goes it's pretty great. I like the buttons and the controller is pretty comfortable in my hand. Playing gief and straight away I could land stand still spd without any issues.

Anyone using thumbstick and wanting a pad with a nicer button layout than PS4, the madcatz isn't bad at all. If you use a D-Pad I wouldn't even consider looking at this controller. Maybe it will loosen up later but straight out of the box it is shit, compared to the Hori FC4 which I found quite good immediately, only issue I find is the rotating D-Pad has to be re-aligned after a few matches no matter how tight I set the dial. I also can't manage to do gief SPD with the Hori D-Pad. Every other character is great but I need thumbstick for Gief.

Hey peeps, need a little advice. I'm in the UK, so if I buy an NTSC copy of the game, are there any hurdles I need to jump over concerning downloadable content? The story mode and all that would have to be downloaded from the US PSN store correct? Other than that, I should be golden.

Hey peeps, need a little advice. I'm in the UK, so if I buy an NTSC copy of the game, are there any hurdles I need to jump over concerning downloadable content? The story mode and all that would have to be downloaded from the US PSN store correct? Other than that, I should be golden.

Is it a digital or physical copy of the game? I had digital and to access some of the DLC you had to be signed into your US account. Like I got the Chun Li premium alt as a pre-order bonus but it didn't show up on my UK account because of the way the game handles DLC.

Is it a digital or physical copy of the game? I had digital and to access some of the DLC you had to be signed into your US account. Like I got the Chun Li premium alt as a pre-order bonus but it didn't show up on my UK account because of the way the game handles DLC.

It's a physical copy.

Sayad

Damn right.

So I(well a friend) has this incredibly dirty Ibuki Cross-up. I have no idea where the hit box but it's probably the best in the game.

Does this actually work? Looks like if you just hold back, the character will walk back a little bit before he start blocking and Ibuki's attack wont cross-up, while if you hold forward, you'd just walk under her, not to mention that you have enough time to AA her(depending on the character). You have to stay still in your place and block in the last moment for the setup to work!

stn

Ranting time. This game's F2P distribution model has completely exhausted me. Every single fucking thing is locked behind a boring grindfest. I bought the season pass last night to support Capcom.

Then I found out the battle outfits weren't even included in the pass. Guess what - $4 each. Costs more to buy the skins than the game itself. Then, I found out I unlocked some new stages. Oh, needs 70,000FM. Time to grind Survival again for the 200th time.

Fuck Capcom and fuck this game. I would honestly pay for a "Fuck Off Capcom" DLC that just unlocks everything from here until the game's end. I work a lot and don't want to spend my few gaming hours playing Survival.

As much as I love how this game plays, I have never been more exhausted by a game in my life. Is there a plan to package all the battle outfits together at a reduced price? $4 each is just ridiculously expensive.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I mean...they never said the costumes are part of the season pass

And 70k FM is actually not that much. Do the story/trials/demonstrations. I've barely done any survival mode, that shit sucks.

vg260

Ranting time. This game's F2P distribution model has completely exhausted me. Every single fucking thing is locked behind a boring grindfest. I bought the season pass last night to support Capcom.

Then I found out the battle outfits weren't even included in the pass. Guess what - $4 each. Costs more to buy the skins than the game itself. Then, I found out I unlocked some new stages. Oh, needs 70,000FM. Time to grind Survival again for the 200th time.

Fuck Capcom and fuck this game. I would honestly pay for a "Fuck Off Capcom" DLC that just unlocks everything from here until the game's end. I work a lot and don't want to spend my few gaming hours playing Survival.

As much as I love how this game plays, I have never been more exhausted by a game in my life. Is there a plan to package all the battle outfits together at a reduced price? $4 each is just ridiculously expensive.

This completely echoes my issues with the game, and why I've played it so little, despite wanting to love the game. It's just so mind-bogglingly nonsensical and frustrating in design and the premium costume pricing is offensive. Although, I do feel the season pass pricing is fair and the content was readily disclosed. You get more stuff than if you bought the characters separately at the same price. The estimated value is nonsense due to the $4 costumes though.

Yes, I know the core game is good, but the rest of the stuff I typically enjoy sours it too much, and there are enough other sanely designed fighters out there for which I don't feel like I'm being gouged on costume pricing or my time isn't being disrespected.

Pompadour

I don't have much sympathy for you not reading the description of what you're buying but I do agree with you on the grind that is Survival.

If it makes you feel any better, now that people have discovered how to unlock all colors and FM bonuses for PC and PS4 without having to play Survival it's become pretty clear that you can barely get all stages and story costumes with the FM available you get doing singleplayer stuff with the 20 available characters. And that's if you don't have to buy the DLC characters because you got the season pass.

I imagine by the end of the year that there will be enough characters, shop colors, stages that doing all offline content won't be enough to get them all without paying real money. People should probably check their expectations that they can unlock everything even if they win Survival the 88 times needed to get every difficulty bonus for every character.

Trickster

Wait you don't get the premium costumes for the season pass character if you buy the season pass? Weren't season pass owners the only people who had the premium costumes for Alex and Guile when they were free for everyone?

Edit - Seems that they are, guess you meant for the original 16 characters? Eh, not really a surprise then

Pompadour

Wait you don't get the premium costumes for the season pass character if you buy the season pass? Weren't season pass owners the only people who had the premium costumes for Alex and Guile when they were free for everyone?

You get the premium costumes for the DLC characters, not the basic cast.

Skilletor

You get premium costumes for the 6 dlc characters.

People really need to read what they're buying:

WvyMJCj.png

It doesn't look that meaty tho so you could probably escape/DP

You definitely can. That vid isn't cancelling the hk into the command dash, so you have more than enough time to AA.

Pompadour

Yeah figured that was what he meant after looking up the season pass. Honestly that's not surprising tbh.

Honestly that would be an amazing deal though, I'd get that in a heartbeat

The season pass is a great deal if you were going to pay for all of that stuff anyway. One can make the argument that the costumes shouldn't be $4 but as far as the savings you get with the pass it's really good.

And these costumes will go on sale and be bundled in the future, I'm sure. It's more of the matter of being patient and waiting.

stn

No, its true - its definitely my fault for wrongly assuming that the battle outfits were included. Though the season pass is not really a season pass then in that sense. My point stands, however: having to grind for every little thing in this game is a chore.

I've never seen such a good fighting game be littered with so many bad design choices. Even the little things like having to change your "favorite" character every time you want to use someone different online. For a company that loves to charge consumers for DLC (see: Pretending that gems in SFxT were a gameplay component as opposed to a new revenue stream), I'm wondering where the Unlock All DLC is.

Skilletor

No, its true - its definitely my fault for wrongly assuming that the battle outfits were included. Though the season pass is not really a season pass then in that sense. My point stands, however: having to grind for every little thing in this game is a chore.

I've never seen such a good fighting game be littered with so many bad design choices. Even the little things like having to change your "favorite" character every time you want to use someone different online. For a company that loves to charge consumers for DLC (see: Pretending that gems in SFxT were a gameplay component as opposed to a new revenue stream), I'm wondering where the Unlock All DLC is.

This makes actually getting into matches much faster when searching casual/ranked. If you want to change your character all the time, then do battle lounges.

I don't have much sympathy for you not reading the description of what you're buying but I do agree with you on the grind that is Survival.

If it makes you feel any better, now that people have discovered how to unlock all colors and FM bonuses for PC and PS4 without having to play Survival it's become pretty clear that you can barely get all stages and story costumes with the FM available you get doing singleplayer stuff with the 20 available characters. And that's if you don't have to buy the DLC characters because you got the season pass.

I imagine by the end of the year that there will be enough characters, shop colors, stages that doing all offline content won't be enough to get them all without paying real money. People should probably check their expectations that they can unlock everything even if they win Survival the 88 times needed to get every difficulty bonus for every character.

I mean, why would you be able to unlock every single thing in the game by playing offline? Don't get me wrong, the online earnings is a travesty and I'm hoping the targets will fix that but if you could just unlock everything by playing through the single player then you wouldn't be spending money at any point. The game is actually surprisingly good about the amount of FM you can earn easily. Someone can easily (although extremely boringly) finish every Easy and Normal survival, all the characters stories, the general story, demonstrations and probably get through a few trials then have enough to get most if not all of the Season 1 characters. That seems pretty reasonable to me.

If only survival didn't suck ass.

If you didn't have to grind for FM then there wouldn't be a point in them selling it to make a profit. You can easily get 600k for the characters, everything else is purely cosmetic.

Favorite character is one of the best decisions ever, especially in battle lounges. Not having to load a character select screen and being able to go directly to the match is a godsend when you have more than 1 person in a lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom