• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Pompadour

I also dont get GAFs obsession to bring up so many SF related threads. Like there are so many games that have failed , Its not like SFV is the first game to miss sales target or perform poorly , but I have never those other games bring up a million threads.

You know, I think that the weekly shitting on Street Fighter V is odd but it does make sense in that SFV generated tons of threads about every piece of news prior to launch to the point where the portion of GAF that had no interest in SF probably became irritated and is now reveling in the game doing poorly. They were likely annoyed reading about this one game constantly.

I'm sure that isn't completely the cause but I did find it odd that this general gaming forum, for whatever reason, focused so heavily on SFV prior to launch. I honestly just assumed that GAF had a higher than average amount of Street Fighter fans than other forums since SF news didn't generate as much discussion here than it did on many fighting game forums.

Of course, the whole reason I came here was because this place leaked the roster for Super Street Fighter IV first so GAF probably has a higher than average SF fan population.

I also dont get GAFs obsession to bring up so many SF related threads. Like there are so many games that have failed , Its not like SFV is the first game to miss sales target or perform poorly , but I have never those other games bring up a million threads.

Ahh just pay no attention to it, you have the usual suspects with their concern trolling making it appear they care and that's why they give capcom a hard time. Just enjoy the game and everything else is noise. I mean watch folks complain when Urien is a day late or something along those lines.

Hutchie

sfv is in a much better place than it was originally, we have trials, the story mode and more characters. Tbh the only thing which would have stopped me from buying the game at launch was if ken wasnt in.

in the criticism threads all you hear is unfinished game this and unfinished game that. Sure the game game could use a bit of tightening up here and there but what game doesnt? the fighting is great and thats what counts.

In respect of the annual rebalance, i think it needs to be pushed back a bit the people at the top havent explored characters and their v skills fully as yet but then again i doubt anyone will get the chance to do so

Good to see people hate Jab AA.

If only people felt the same with Mika's Passion Press

giphy.gif

Most failed games aren't a sequel to the most iconic series in it's genre.

And honestly this isn't the first game to receive this treatment on gaf. Destiny was pretty much the exact same. Game came out and was full of baffling flaws or missing features you'd expect to be in the game. The way gaf treated that game was the exact same. Threads would pop up about it in the gaming section and people mad/frustrated/dissapointed about the game would use it to vent. Meanwhile in Destiny's community threads they would react exactly like people in here have since this newest thread popped up.

I don't recall Destiny threads nearly every week five months after launch.

Why V-reversal a move that's -2?

Also, V-reversal isn't throw invincible and the irish whip technically counts as a throw that can be blocked.

Why not use V-Reversal on a Vortex character?

And being a throw is my biggest issue with the move when it's also a strike with a lot of active frames.

Why not use V-Reversal on a Vortex character?.

Nothing about that training room situation you presented was a vortex, but I guess asking a SF player to play defense is too hard so just v-reversal everything and always wake up with buttons.

Well yeah but still it looks weird :)
This is the only move that works like that no ? A blockable throw ?

Ibuki has Raida, Laura has her medium elbow into the elbow grab. Off the top of my head so I might be missing more.

Hyun Sai

I don't think I'll use fight money for colors, so I just did Hard survival a second time for premium costume of Guile. No regret.

------------------------------
Dat feeling when you have no idea what to do in a mirror match when you face your character once a week :(

Zerojul

Ibuki has Raida, Laura has her medium elbow into the elbow grab. Off the top of my head so I might be missing more.
Oh yeah thanks:)
Still I don't know if those could lead to the same situation ? Raida has only one input so I guess when it's blocked that's it, and can you go into command grab after a blocked Laura elbow grab ?

Dat feeling when you have no idea what to do in a mirror match when you face your character once a week :(

Guile mirrors are my worst match up :(

Oh yeah thanks:)
Still I don't know if those could lead to the same situation ? Raida has only one input so I guess when it's blocked that's it, and can you go into command grab after a blocked Laura elbow grab ?

No and no, but it doesn't change the fact that all three of them are super unsafe if they're blocked, Mika's being the most negative if blocked which makes sense since it has the highest risk/reward.

Edit: each of those moves can be comboed into though, where ibuki can combo raida off of her lp/mp/hp and laura can combo into medium elbow on medium, heavy, or crouch hp.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Juri feels like she has to put in twice as much work or more to get the same result as other "decent" characters like Karin or Cammy.

After 2 days of playing she just seems bad, no reason to have 900 health when she has poor normals compared to others, everything is negative, requires charges to make any sort of offense in neutral, has mediocre anti airs (I misread this at first thinking that her cr.hp and mk DP were actually good, boy did I learn I was wrong) and has low damage even with charges.

Best case scenario meterless damage with Juri is around 240 with mk / hk charges when Necalli does around 250 with no charges he has a command grab mixup to work with, better health, stronger oki frames than anything juri could ever get, a meterless reversal, a better vtrigger (juri can't even jab VTC jab). Juri has no links with her normals outside of counter hits, and her normals aren't even that good. Her throw range is good, but her oki frame data for a throw is one of the worst in the game. Her vtrigger has no reason to be 3 bars when the reward is so low, Chun can combo from her overhead with a 2 bar vtrigger, Juri can't even chain into it with her busted-ass feng shui in SFV.
So lets go over how wrong you are.

She has 950 health, more than Karin or Cammy

She has much better anti airs than Karin, if you cant AA with cr.hp, st.hp and mk dp, you need to git gud

She can happily do over 240 meterless, which is more than a lot of the cast

She has plus frame normals

She has multiple links from normals int other normals

She can make herself safe on block with lk release always.

Her V-trigger gives a better reward than Balrogs

Juri can do over 380 meterless in the corner using V-trigger.

That about covers it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
That's very early whining indeed. We haven't even seen that much cool stuff from her V-Trigger yet, eventhough it seems to have quite a few possibilities.

I don't mind. I prefer this to the time when only dive kick characters could jump. And it's still a bad idea against many characters here.

I dunno. It's the worst. What's the point in trying to play street fighter when all they need is 1 good jump in and you've lost a 3rd of your health. Especially characters like Necalli or Ryu.

I don't mind. I prefer this to the time when only dive kick characters could jump. And it's still a bad idea against many characters here.

risk/reward of jumping in in this game is way higher than it ever was in 4. Dive kick characters got to eat in certain matchups for sure but it wasn't always free tho tbh

Hyun Sai

risk/reward of jumping in in this game is way higher than it ever was in 4. Dive kick characters got to eat in certain matchups for sure but it wasn't always free tho tbh

I dunno. It's the worst. What's the point in trying to play street fighter when all they need is 1 good jump in and you've lost a 3rd of your health. Especially characters like Necalli or Ryu.

Well, what is "playing street fighter" ? We had games where fireball game was strong, other where it was neutered, others which were defensive galore, when anti air was strong, was weak...

I prefer considering jumping is more dangerous here and work my way to be prepared for it.

Trickster

So lets go over how wrong you are.

She has 950 health, more than Karin or Cammy

She has much better anti airs than Karin, if you cant AA with cr.hp, st.hp and mk dp, you need to git gud

She can happily do over 240 meterless, which is more than a lot of the cast

She has plus frame normals

She has multiple links from normals int other normals

She can make herself safe on block with lk release always.

Her V-trigger gives a better reward than Balrogs

Juri can do over 380 meterless in the corner using V-trigger.

That about covers it.

Let me start by saying I don't know how accurate any of this is. This is just how I feel about her after playing her the last few days.

My problem with her is having to constatly charge up moves. Either I have to do it after a knockdown and lose wakeup pressure. Or I have to use a combo opportunity to charge a move and deal pitiful dmg. This just seems extremely counter intuitive in this game and especially on Juri who I've seen people say is a rushdown character.

I also feel like her normals aren't that good? I dunno, mp and lp are what you'd expect. mp seem like it has short range and generally doesn't do much except act as a combo linker. mk seems like it's a poking move, but I swear it loses to everyone I try to poke with it. hp seems to be solely intended as an aa and very punishable on block combo linker. hk I like though, nice range, punishable ofc. But in general my experience with footsies is that I lose.

Another thing I find very hard with her is actually getting any decent combo's done outside of jumpins. This is especially true without charges I feel.

Last thing I wanna mention is her animations and hitboxes, they are fucking ass. Her hitboxes doesn't match her animations at all. Pretty much the entire back half of her spinwheel seem to have no hitbox whatsoever. So whenever you try to punish a jumpin to late, the other person can avoid being hit despite very clearly being within range of the spinwheel. Her flipkick move, qcb.k, will get hit by crouching kicks right on the ground level even in the middle or the flipkick, so even though by all measure of logic, the spinkick should hit the other player before their low attack would connect with juri. Juri still loses the exchange, it's nonsense. Of course, she also has two specials that everyone would assume to be overheads based on their animation, yet they are not.

Sorry, this became a long ramble and I can't be bothered to fix it to be more coherent. Anyone feel free to respond and tell me how wrong I am about any of it if you feel like it, would be appreciated :p

Well, what is "playing street fighter" ? We had games where fireball game was strong, other where it was neutered, others which were defensive galore, when anti air was strong, was weak...

I prefer considering jumping is more dangerous here and work my way to be prepared for it.

welp I hope you enjoy ryu jumping in with j.lk 46 times a round while your normal AA's get stuffed each time

You're saying that a character like Karin with weak AA game is free to Ryu and all he has to do is jump lk all day ?

I'm not seeing this to be honest.

not saying she's free to Ryu but that you kinda gotta hold that shit in certain situations.

Justin's jump back jab/other air normals vs Daigo at Evo was a really smart adaption by him tbh.

Quesa

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";211683342]Messing with Juri trial 11

wpzRNr.gif
[/QUOTE]

How do you link the first lk release to s.HP in this? Can't seem to do it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
You're saying that a character like Karin with weak AA game is free to Ryu and all he has to do is jump lk all day ?

I'm not seeing this to be honest.
You have to be on point with Karin in that regard. Wong is great at this. He's going for fast air-to-airs (light punch), which are arguably not very rewarding compared to other anti-airs, but it's the most consistent thing she can do against it. Another thing you have to do is use her very good movement against it. Walking under and dashing. Basically you have to avoid the situation all together, because it's just that good.

My problem with her is having to constatly charge up moves. Either I have to do it after a knockdown and lose wakeup pressure.

I just charge up whenever I want, it's a relatively fast move, you can't really do anything to it on reaction unless you are right in her face.

How do you link the first lk release to s.HP in this? Can't seem to do it.

You have to space it so the fireball hits later.

Most failed games aren't a sequel to the most iconic series in it's genre.

If Capcom themselves don't see SF5 as a failed game, then I won't:

https://esports.yahoo.com/street-fighter-v-shapes-capcom-000000086.html
"A casual player looks at sales numbers and gets worried. We don’t get hung up on day one sales,” Neidel “Haunts” Crisan, Capcom director of digital media and esports, told Yahoo Esports. “We’d be pulling a fire alarm if we saw a decline from Ultra Street Fighter IV, but we’re watching those numbers rise.”

“Street Fighter has always been a long-term play for Capcom. It continually gets updated year after year. You saw that with Street Fighter IV and every Street Fighter before it,” Haunts said. “This is a game as a service. It will get updates for a pretty long time. Our main focus is to listen to community feedback, look at the needs of the community, build upon the base we have, and expand on that as time goes on. The CPT is a great vehicle for that.”

And, as I mentioned in the other thread, since the first stock holders report in March, PC version has sold like 60k more digital copies according to steam spy.

In the initial sales period, PC version sales account for about 10% of total sales. The game sells WAY more on console.

So, if PC version has sold 60k since the first stock holders report in March, wouldn't it make sense that console version sold a lot MORE than that since March? Especially considering the summer PSN (digital) sales that have taken place during the past few weeks/months? I find it hard to believe that console version couldn't sell at LEAST 40k more digital sale since March if PC version could sell 60K.

What I'm trying to say is that the next shareholders report in 3 months will probably much more "up to date". It will also include the effects of story mode and EVO, since the recent report only goes up to June 30.

Just got the game today. For somebody who hasn't played a Street Fighter in years and has generally been absent from fighting games for a good while now, where's the best place to start with SFV? I heard they patched in tutorials and learning challenges and whatnot after launch, so that's good to hear. Also, best way to get fight money? I want Juri as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance.

Just got the game today. For somebody who hasn't played a Street Fighter in years and has generally been absent from fighting games for a good while now, where's the best place to start with SFV? I heard they patched in tutorials and learning challenges and whatnot after launch, so that's good to hear. Also, best way to get fight money? I want Juri as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance.

Play through the tutorial/couple trials/story mode/survival and you should have enough for Juri

Thanks in advance.

If you go into challenges you can watch demonstrations and do character trials.

Also here is a full Fight Money guide for beginners

Thanks in advance.

I would think that the quickest way to earn 100k FM would be to run though 10 of the short character stories. Those take a few minutes each, require absolutely no skill, and earn you 10k FM each when you are just starting up (you get an XP bonus as well, per story, and each level up nets you FM as well).

Mr. X

Ucchedavāda;211830582 said:
I would think that the quickest way to earn 100k FM would be to run though 10 of the short character stories. Those take a few minutes each, require absolutely no skill, and earn you 10k FM each when you are just starting up (you get an XP bonus as well, per story, and each level up nets you FM as well).

I've did all character stories+DLC characters, General Story on all difficulties, trials+DLC characters, demos, all easy survival+DLC characters, 5? Normal Survivals and I have over 600K FM

LakeEarth

You know, Survival wouldn't be so bad if the AI wasn't so awful. People clamoring for an arcade mode are going to be in for a rude awakening if they add it in with this horrid AI.
But arcade mode will have continues. Survival's biggest problem is the feeling of wasted time when you lose.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Rockin casuals this morning. My Karin getting much needed practice. Can't believe I ignored her all this time. She is great. I love more complex characters (used to main Gen in SF4), even if I'm not an execution monster by any stretch, so having a lot of fun with her.

Also, this new Font mod is life. Makes everything look laid back and slick.

Rockin casuals this morning. My Karin getting much needed practice. Can't believe I ignored her all this time. She is great. I love more complex characters (used to main Gen in SF4), even if I'm not an execution monster by any stretch, so having a lot of fun with her.

Also, this new Font mod is life. Makes everything look laid back and slick.

when's comic sans tho

Quesa

That's what I figured. Can't seem to find the right spacing, though.

I finally did it!

Is this practical at all? I had to use very specific cues (like the distance between Juri's knee and Chun's hand) for the spacing, and it uses every possible meter Juri has. Pulling it off in a real match seems dubious, but then again I'm generally bad at execution.

I've did all character stories+DLC characters, General Story on all difficulties, trials+DLC characters, demos, all easy survival+DLC characters, 5? Normal Survivals and I have over 600K FM

That's a bit overkill when the goal is simply to get 100k FM ASAP, so that they could purchase Juri. ;)

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
when's comic sans tho

Did you try it yet? It's dope. Only small complaint is the win-loss screen, number 1 looks too squished/close to the text. And I finally used the mod that makes that giant Earth disappear on the VS screen. So good. And last thing, that new mod manager makes the old one obsolete. Okay, enough mod talk for one day!

Top Bottom