• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

mbpm1

tumblr_ob2yjgldcf1vy7hsco1_400.png

Trickster

I just charge up whenever I want, it's a relatively fast move, you can't really do anything to it on reaction unless you are right in her face.

This is just not my experience. If I want to safetly get a charge, I need to do it outside of jumpin range of the other player, or as part of a combo. Otherwise I will very often eat a jumpin attack or normal attack.

I especially find it aggravating how close you need to be to have a charge move connect as part of a combo, I'm sure it's because it'd be too strong for combo's otherwise, but hot damn do I find it annoying that I need to be pretty much right up in their face for it to connect.

mbpm1

Well if they're already going to be jumping in/pressing buttons close to you then you would avoid it like you would avoid any heavy normal

This is just not my experience. If I want to safetly get a charge, I need to do it outside of jumpin range of the other player, or as part of a combo. Otherwise I will very often eat a jumpin attack or normal attack.

I especially find it aggravating how close you need to be to have a charge move connect as part of a combo, I'm sure it's because it'd be too strong for combo's otherwise, but hot damn do I find it annoying that I need to be pretty much right up in their face for it to connect.

"But...you mean I have to play this character different than another character?!"

Sounds like a personal problem. Either git gud, git betta or git out.

You're gonna love Urien when he comes out.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The upside of Juri's fireballs is that she can confirm into more damage or a safe block string with them. That's why they aren't always available. So yeah....she's just a little different, which is great.

I finally did it!

Is this practical at all? I had to use very specific cues (like the distance between Juri's knee and Chun's hand) for the spacing, and it uses every possible meter Juri has. Pulling it off in a real match seems dubious, but then again I'm generally bad at execution.

It's not.
Generally you want to confirm into things you'll be able to do every time, and not use super in vtrigger unless it's going to kill, otherwise it's a huge waste of meter.

This is a combo you'll want to use if you want to straight up style on someone.

Pretty much everything will combo into hk charge from any distance, mk charge only connects from stHP.
Your main poke should be crMP anyway since it combos into lk flip kick and hk charge from any distance.

Anyone playing this on a latptop? If so how is your performance/settings? Thinking of bringing in one of my sticks to keep at work and playing on a spare laptop I have. It's a XPS15 with a 6700HQ, 16GB RAM and a 960m.

The video card on my workstation is pretty meh and I know it won't well at all on it.

Just got the game today. For somebody who hasn't played a Street Fighter in years and has generally been absent from fighting games for a good while now, where's the best place to start with SFV? I heard they patched in tutorials and learning challenges and whatnot after launch, so that's good to hear. Also, best way to get fight money? I want Juri as soon as possible!

Thanks in advance.

Someone posted a fight money guide, but the personally, best places to earn fight money are the story prologues for each individual character, the Trials for each individual character, then clearing the easy-mode survival for each character should give you a pretty large net. Yes, thats a lot of game, I understand. I think you should clear nearly 100k just doing all the story prologues.

If you're looking for a good starting point for learning how to play, thats another question entirely. Try all the characters and see which one you feel most comfortable with. Since you're so new, you have way less baggage when it comes to this, so make sure you try them all. Practice doing their special inputs a whole lot - just learning how to do those motions will apply across the cast.

What i've done when learning a new character, like Juri just recently, is i'll put the game on training, learn a few moves & combos, then set the training dummy to CPU & set the level low. I just practice doing the stuff I learned on a moving target. Once I learn how to do it on the CPU on an easier difficult, I ratchet up the difficulty until I can no longer keep up with it. Then I learn a few new techniques & try again. I just do that until i'm beating the CPU in the training room at max difficulty no problem. Usually when I do this, I set the matchmaking for casual matches as well.

Trickster

"But...you mean I have to play this character different than another character?!"

Sounds like a personal problem. Either git gud, git betta or git out.

What are you even talking about? I'm mentioning a specific part of the character and what my issues with it are. If what I say is clearly wrong somehow, then tell me how I can fix that, but fuck off with that useless git gud response.

Pretty much everything will combo into hk charge from any distance, mk charge only connects from stHP.
Your main poke should be crMP anyway since it combos into lk flip kick and hk charge from any distance.

This is very useful, thanks.

Like, I think the first hurdle to learning Juri is to get a grasp on how to properly charge. I'm not great at it yet, but i've learned a few things about it that have been working out. I think the biggest hurdle I had to cross was not thinking about the charge too much - often times I spent so much time thinking about when to charge that I kept forgetting to pay attention to what my opponent was doing, which lead to them getting way more turns than they should have.

I'm at the point where right now, i'm learning to play Juri without the charges (she actually has great damage options without them, tbh), and all of her non-charge neutral combos lead to knockdowns that let you get a charge for free, even as a block string (unless you decide to end with pinwheel).

i'll often do jump-in mk-> b.hk - by the 2nd hit, I am confirming whether or not I hit them or this is a blockstring. If its a string, go for a charge; if its a hit, go for srk.hk, then charge after you land.

In footsies, i'll regularly used blocked pokes to build a charge. The only poke she has that you can't cancel into a charge is st.mk, so st.mp, cr.mk, & cr.mp are all solid options. If you don't need a charge, you can cancel those pokes into qcb. lk, srk.lk or qcf.hk + the option of cashing in qcf.lk or qcf.mk for either a wake up mixup or damage, respectively.

Also, at match start, I think that you can safely do one charge for free without the opoonent getting an opportunity to make you pay for it. My go to tends to be qcf.lk at match start, just because her fb is one of the best get-in free options in the game.

Palom

But arcade mode will have continues. Survival's biggest problem is the feeling of wasted time when you lose.
Yeah, you're right. But, I do think a more fair AI would be a good start at making Survival better.

I felt the AI in USF4 (excluding Seth) was decent enough and didn't feel nearly as cheap as it does in SF5. I hadn't played a fighting game in nearly 15 years when I played USF4, and I remember thinking how much better the AI seemed than what I remembered in these types of games. SF5 seems like MK2 levels of button reading. I hated playing MK2 on the SNES because the AI was so cheap.

What are you even talking about? I'm mentioning a specific part of the character and what my issues with it are. If what I say is clearly wrong somehow, then tell me how I can fix that, but fuck off with that useless git gud response.

This is very useful, thanks.

Sounded more like needless, excessive whining/complaining than just asking for advice and sticking the time out to actually learn the character. "Oh, I'm having such glorious issues playing with a new character that just came out days ago in comparison to other characters. Oh woe is me." C'est la vie. Same story, different character for the run of the lot around here, so that's my response to that nonsense. And I'll do what I want, fuck you very much.

Sounded more like needless, excessive whining/complaining than just asking for advice and sticking the time out to actually learn the character. "Oh, I'm having such glorious issues playing with a new character that just came out days ago in comparison to other characters. Oh woe is me." C'est la vie. Same story, different character for the run of the lot around here, so that's my response to that nonsense. And I'll do what I want, fuck you very much.

You need to relax. There's no need to be that hostile towards people in here. You could have said the same thing in a much more approachable and constructive way.

Also, at match start, I think that you can safely do one charge for free without the opoonent getting an opportunity to make you pay for it. My go to tends to be qcf.lk at match start, just because her fb is one of the best get-in free options in the game.

Don't do this in a mirror, flip kick will punish the charge straight up if they anticipate you doing it at match start.

But arcade mode will have continues. Survival's biggest problem is the feeling of wasted time when you lose.

Sadly, survival feels like a waste of time even when you don't lose.
If Capcom reduced the number of stages, if they removed the lottery (so that you can properly choose between building score, healing, or whatever), if they severely re-balanced the AI levels, then it could be entertaining rather than a death-march. It doesn't need continues, but having that as an option (at the cost of a big chunk of your score, for example, like in arcade mode) would not be a bad idea on top of the above.

Juri's new theme has to be the worst in the game.
If I'm only listening to the theme then yeah, it's not that great. Seems like it's building up for something that never really comes.

But during an actual match, I found it's not bad. It's a bit like F.A.N.G's, Alex's and Karin's theme in that it kinda just blends into the background. Most of the other themes tend to "stick out" particularly Guile and Ken's theme with their aggressive rock style.

Shadoken

This series already had Street Fighter III. I don't really buy this line of reasoning when 2 of the 4 mainline games in the series weren't really big hits.

Fighting games have never been a sure thing at any point. MK is pretty much the only series to consistently sell (almost regardless of quality) from the first mainline game forward. And yet I doubt an MK game bombing would be met with the same handwringing SFV is on the receiving end of.

There's something about the big Japanese publishers fucking up that attracts a lot of hyperventilating rants on GAF.

MURICAAAAAA...WE NOMBAH 1!!!!

Even MK had some duds , and they were doing pretty bad financially. Until WB stepped in.

You need to relax. There's no need to be that hostile towards people in here. You could have said the same thing in a much more approachable and constructive way.

I'm very relax actually, guy. I was nice enough the first response (everything doesn't need to be overly saccharine, especially in talks of a fighting game of all things; where's ya competitive spirit?). The 2nd one was stated aptly in kind to his. Have a nice day and thanks for playing.:)

at least SF got the better PC ports tho

Hilariously, MKX is actually a better PC port than SFV in some important aspects. For example, you can actually bind keyboard buttons in MKX, it supports both DInput and XInput controllers out of the box, and it makes you run a hardware benchmark before you play online.

Of course, IV had all of that, too.

Ucchedavāda;211846611 said:
Hilariously, MKX is actually a better PC port than SFV in some important aspects. For example, you can actually bind keyboard buttons in MKX, it supports both DInput and XInput controllers out of the box, and it makes you run a hardware benchmark before you play online.

Of course, IV had all of that, too.

4 was not a port, 5 is also hardly a port because of the underlying tech; the amount of pc specific features doesn't dictate if it's a port or not, rather if it's a good version or not.

If I'm only listening to the theme then yeah, it's not that great. Seems like it's building up for something that never really comes.

But during an actual match, I found it's not bad. It's a bit like F.A.N.G's, Alex's and Karin's theme in that it kinda just blends into the background. Most of the other themes tend to "stick out" particularly Guile and Ken's theme with their aggressive rock style.

When I'm fighting Rashid, all I'm waiting for is the RASHIIIDOOO

I'm very relax actually, guy. I was nice enough the first response (everything doesn't need to be overly saccharine, especially in talks of a fighting game of all things; where's ya competitive spirit?). The 2nd one was stated aptly in kind to his. Have a nice day and thanks for playing.:)

We can agree to disagree. Telling someone "git gud, git betta, or git out. I'll do what I want. Fuck you" is not competitive. It is childish, rude, and uncalled for. Your first response was an attack on him for no reason as you two weren't even in a discussion in the first place. Just because he was having an issue with a certain mechanic isn't an invite to attack him. Give him some tips that can help with his issues instead.

I don't agree with quite a few posts in here and some users opinions and ways of going about things but I don't respond to them in the negative, non constructive way that you did. I either try and give them information that can help or I just don't reply at all if I don't have anything worthwhile to add. I know it's just the internet but people/social skills go a long way.

4 was not a port, 5 is also hardly a port because of the underlying tech; the amount of pc specific features doesn't dictate if it's a port or not, rather if it's a good version or not.

Well, SFIV was originally ported from specialized arcade hardware (running some pared down version of Windows, AFAIK) to consumer grade Windows, XBox360 and PS3. So you could argue that this first Windows version was not a port, but simply an upgrade. However, SSFIV was not released on Windows, and the version of SSFIV:AE released on Windows was based on the Xbox360 version, as evidenced by the file-structure, and would therefore constitute a port (of a port). This port came with the aforementioned features.

Going forward, MKX and SFV are both based on Unreal Engine (3 and 4, respectively), which is of course a cross-platform framework. And in both cases, the Windows version was secondary to the console version(s), though at least in SFV's case they developed the Windows version in-house and actually QA'd it.

So I would argue that both MKX and SFV fall in the same rough category, and reiterate my point that MKX actually did a better job of adapting to Windows during the development process (or porting, if you will).

Big Brett

On a family vacation all weekend. Wishing I was home messing with Juri more. She's so fun! Still can't really tell if she's good. Seems mid-tier at worst.

We can agree to disagree. Telling someone "git gud, git betta, or git out. I'll do what I want. Fuck you" is not competitive. It is childish, rude, and uncalled for. Your first response was an attack on him for no reason as you two weren't even in a discussion in the first place. Just because he was having an issue with a certain mechanic isn't an invite to attack him. Give him some tips that can help with his issues instead.

I don't agree with quite a few posts in here and some users opinions and ways of going about things but I don't respond to them in the negative, non constructive way that you did. I either try and give them information that can help or I just don't reply at all if I don't have anything worthwhile to add. I know it's just the internet but people/social skills go a long way.

Doesn't matter whether or not we were in a discussion in the first place, as this is an messageboard, so an initiation of discussion is bound to be had at any rate whenever and however. For example, your SJW-ing for him, wasn't an initial discussion between you and I at first either.

Also, he told me to fuck off, I didn't say "fuck you" until after that fact. "Git Gud" is very common fighting game vernacular of competition "friendo", hardly an "attack". So take heed to your own advice and "relax". He can "fight" his own "battles"....maybe.:)

Hutchie

Ucchedavāda;211845189 said:
Sadly, survival feels like a waste of time even when you don't lose.
If Capcom reduced the number of stages, if they removed the lottery (so that you can properly choose between building score, healing, or whatever), if they severely re-balanced the AI levels, then it could be entertaining rather than a death-march. It doesn't need continues, but having that as an option (at the cost of a big chunk of your score, for example, like in arcade mode) would not be a bad idea on top of the above.

Brilliant ideas! They should bring in the dlc characters so we arent fighting the same opponents 3 times, and cut the loading please

Pejo

Scraped together enough FM last night doing normal survival to pick up Juri. She's pretty fun! Very mobile and I really like her cross up V-Skill, but I'm sure it's easy to punish. It's been a month or so since I last went online, so I've just been playing around with combos and spacing in Training. I need to find some scrubs to do a lobby with one of these days.

I really want the Necalli premium costume, but I feel like there might be a bundle or sale if I continue waiting it out, so I'm staying vigilant.

Has anyone here successfully applied the Juri costume mod to get rid of the latex undersuit thing? I've been reading the several threads on the SFmod reddit, but not having much luck. Then again this is my first time doing any kind of modding to SFV, so maybe I'm just doing it wrong at a fundamental level. I'm using that Mod Manager thing, which seems easy enough.

Ucchedavāda;211849119 said:
Well, SFIV was originally ported from specialized arcade hardware (running some pared down version of Windows, AFAIK) to consumer grade Windows, XBox360 and PS3. So you could argue that this first Windows version was not a port, but simply an upgrade. However, SSFIV was not released on Windows, and the version of SSFIV:AE released on Windows was based on the Xbox360 version, as evidenced by the file-structure, and would therefore constitute a port (of a port). This port came with the aforementioned features.

Going forward, MKX and SFV are both based on Unreal Engine (3 and 4, respectively), which is of course a cross-platform framework. And in both cases, the Windows version was secondary to the console version(s), though at least in SFV's case they developed the Windows version in-house and actually QA'd it.

So I would argue that both MKX and SFV fall in the same rough category, and reiterate my point that MKX actually did a better job of adapting to Windows during the development process (or porting, if you will).

Nah, Capcom had dimps develop their own engine for SF4 with the same philosophy as MTF, the SF4 engine is very much a PC one, which is also why xenoverse runs so amazingly well on PC.
And the arcade machine is hardly "specialised". It's a core 2 duo with a geforce 7 series running windows xp embedded.
Win XPe offers the full windows api with full support for all applications and drivers, you can just pick and choose the components you want to have running so you reduce OS overhead.

Also UE4 main development is pretty much always pc because, the version of UE4 that supports consoles (PS4/Xbox One) is pretty much the same, some differences between the platforms as it applies to UE4, it's mostly rendering and physics stuff; as for consoles, for the most part things will be the same as developing for PC.
Basically, you just develop the game over UE4, and when you're ready to deploy it on various platforms you just intergrate the SDK to the build.

Doesn't matter whether or not we were in a discussion in the first place, as this is an messageboard, so an initiation of discussion is bound to be had at any rate whenever and however. For example, your SJW-ing for him, wasn't an initial discussion between you and I at first either.

Also, he told me to fuck off, I didn't say "fuck you" until after that fact. "Git Gud" is very common fighting game vernacular of competition "friendo", hardly an "attack". So take heed to your own advice and "relax". He can "fight" his own "battles"....maybe.:)

I don't think you actually understand what SJW means based on your context of it. Telling someone they need to relax and stop being childish and aggressive to posters for no reason is not being a SJW. Your use of quotes around words doesn't do anything to prove your points and doesn't excuse you from your posts. I called you out because you went overboard in your responses and we need to squash stuff like that in this OT. There is no place for that.

Also "git gud" is not a FGC term it was a term used back in MGO, caught steam with the DS community, and now seems to be overused and doesn't provide anything to discussions. There is nothing further to discuss regarding this topic so drop it.

I don't think you actually understand what SJW means based on your context of it. Telling someone they need to relax and stop being childish and aggressive to posters for no reason is not being a SJW. Your use of quotes around words doesn't do anything to prove your points and doesn't excuse you from your posts. I called you out because you went overboard in your responses and we need to squash stuff like that in this OT. There is no place for that.

Also "git gud" is not a FGC term it was a term used back in MGO, caught steam with the DS community, and now seems to be overused and doesn't provide anything to discussions.

You've only said one apt thing so far. That is, we'll just have to agree to disagree. You can excuse yourself now.

5tewEZF.gif

Top Bottom