• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Neonep

I hope this happens, but I also think she will end up in the lower tier range.

Her normals are good for pokes and keeping yourself outside of range for charges and once you are in, you need a medium or strong hit to make it count, which is risky considering the raw reward. Most combo videos are cool, but they are mostly dependent on v trigger (which depletes quite fast) or all charges or super to make a good damage. This without even considering some hard execution.

So far I have been managing to win a few casual matches, but I think it's because most people still don't know the MU. Once they do, then it's worrying about how good she will be.

One thing that I definitely don't like is her projectile. If you have to charge it just to use it let it be a full screen projectile and not phase out half way.

Guys. If you're constantly getting beaten by Ryu's anti air LP, that means you're jumping at the wrong times.

Stop jumping. Play footsies.

But that's just my humble opinion. It's a damn good normal, but you deserve to get punished if you jump in unsafely.

In training stage, it's .2 square shorter than bison, but also when you grab and whiff, your hitbox moves a bit forward, so you can get counter grabbed more easily.
Thanks for the info. That is a pretty big range for someone her size. Zangief's range isn't terrible either, but it looks gimped because of how large he is horizontally speaking. I'd like to see all the ranges for the DLC characters soon. Alex's grab range in particular is a complete mess in relation to his long reaching animation. His hand just whiffs right through everyone's faces or chests.
Or better yet, buff everyone else to Ryu's level.
Following the Vega or Karin route instead would be better. Gundams don't belong in Street Fighter. I like it when me and my opponent's characters actually have weaknesses that can be discerned. That said, the DLC and low tier characters could receive A LOT of buffs and still not break the game if Nash, Chun and Ryu are left untouched. They're just that good, baby.
I hate Dhalsim. No one picks him then when I finally get one I have no clue what to do.
This is how I feel about Rashid and he always appears just as I'm about to reach a new LP rank to boot.

Edzi

Guys. If you're constantly getting beaten by Ryu's anti air LP, that means you're jumping at the wrong times.

Stop jumping. Play footsies.

But that's just my humble opinion. It's a damn good normal, but you deserve to get punished if you jump in unsafely.

That's not the problem. You have a character that has a virtually 100% success rate AA that requires no thinking or reactions, that's just no fun to play against AND it eliminates the need for any other AA button or move. Saying "just don't jump" doesn't really fix that.

I have a problem with all jab/short AAs for the same reasons as I hate Ryu's, it's just that Ryu also has every other tool in the game on top of one of the best AA jabs.

lol, Ryu is broken. Straight up broken. Can't wait for Capcom to nerf the shit out of him.

** Salty over the standing jab beating heavy kicks and crossups. **

Yes, make everybody suck. Come on people, these characters have been getting nerfed non stop since beta one. I think Ryu is a great standard for a strong character. And I think that's what Capcom should be aiming for with every character.

Edzi

Yes, make everybody suck. Come on people, these characters have been getting nerfed non stop since beta one. I think Ryu is a great standard for a strong character. And I think that's what Capcom should be aiming for with every character.

Nobody is saying "make everybody suck". As people have been saying in this thread, no character should be a master of all trades in a fighting game, and I honestly think the game would suck if everyone was like him.

Nobody is saying "make everybody suck". As people have been saying in this thread, no character should be a master of all trades in a fighting game, and I honestly think the game would suck if everyone was like him.

I'm sure they can come up with stuff for characters that need it to bring them up instead of of focusing on making characters like Chun and Ryu weaker. Granted they probably could take a few minor nerfs and be OK, but that's all I hoping for. They're really fun for the people that play them and I want it to stay that way. And I hope Capcom can just do the same for the weaker characters in this game. That's what they said they'd do and I hope they stick to their word.

Palom

You know, Survival wouldn't be so bad if the AI wasn't so awful. People clamoring for an arcade mode are going to be in for a rude awakening if they add it in with this horrid AI.

Zerojul

The current "shit on SFV thread" on gaming is one of my favorites yet.

I have high hopes for the "EVO didn't boost SFV sales" and "Tekken 7 outsold SFV by X" threads though.

Hyun Sai

You know, Survival wouldn't be so bad if the AI wasn't so awful. People clamoring for an arcade mode are going to be in for a rude awakening if they add it in with this horrid AI.

We always had horrible AI in arcade mode. Difference is we had several rounds and continues to adjust to it.

So no, there will be no "awakening".

JayEH

The current "shit on SFV thread" on gaming is one of my favorites yet.

I have high hopes for the "EVO didn't boost SFV sales" and "Tekken 7 outsold SFV by X" threads though.

those threads always go off in such weird tangents. I check in every once in a while and I have no clue what's going on.

I decided to take a look at throw ranges for some of the other characters and I just wanna pour one out for Balrog's throw range. It never stood a chance. It is so bad lol.

Zerojul

those threads always go off in such weird tangents. I check in every once in a while and I have no clue what's going on.
Always one of those, pretty much :
-Capcom deserved it
-wait for super/ultra
-every other fg outselled/will outsell SFV
-game isn't even functional
-game sold so low they have to ask $10 for a stage to make a living
-too much ass and tits

-Capcom deserved it
-wait for super/ultra
-too much ass and tits

Yup. It's the same discussion loop always and no new insights with people acting as experts (me included lol) And most people there probably don't even plan to get the game from the start.

I feel like every time there's a SFV thread on Gaming side, I end up putting a new person on ignore. It kinda makes the threads difficult to follow at this point.

Neoxon

I feel like every time there's a SFV thread on Gaming side, I end up putting a new person on ignore. It kinda makes the threads difficult to follow at this point.
It's honestly like a train-wreck. I want to stay away, but I can't help but look in. And right when it's about to fade away, someone springs it back up. On top of that, the mods are even supporting it (though the way the mods see it, it keeps the game from being forgotten).

It'll be funny if the thread is still going strong later today.

Shadoken

Well if by some miracle Capcom does pull it off and SFV become successful in the long term. There will be a lot of necro bumps lmao.

It's honestly like a train-wreck. I want to stay away, but I can't help but look in. And right when it's about to fade away, someone springs it back up. And on top of that, the mods are even supporting it (though the way the mods see it, it keeps the game from being forgotten).

Well it's best just ignore them at this point. There are to many variables that we are not privy to at the moment to judge game's success atm. We don't know thier budget, thier revenue in terms of dlc, future plans etc. the only thing really I disagree in every thread is the notion that a product is unsalvageable. That's just plain wrong.

Shadoken

I also dont get GAFs obsession to bring up so many SF related threads. Like there are so many games that have failed , Its not like SFV is the first game to miss sales target or perform poorly , but I have never those other games bring up a million threads.

Neoxon

I also dont get GAFs obsession to bring up so many SF related threads. Like there are so many games that have failed , Its not like SFV is the first game to miss sales target or perform poorly , but I have never those other games bring up a million threads.
I still find it weird how the mods are even supporting so many threads that all basically devolve into the same arguments. I mean, Steve Youngblood gave his justification, but it just feels odd that they're even backing the threads being made on a weekly basis.

because lot of poeple in GAF grew up in the 90s. And they have fond memories of SF series. So when this one let them down they were butthurt. So they talk crap about it every chance they get. People talk crap about it because they care. If nobody cared SFV would have been forgotten. And these threads wouldn't have more than 20 posts.

Mr. X

That's not the problem. You have a character that has a virtually 100% success rate AA that requires no thinking or reactions, that's just no fun to play against AND it eliminates the need for any other AA button or move. Saying "just don't jump" doesn't really fix that.

I have a problem with all jab/short AAs for the same reasons as I hate Ryu's, it's just that Ryu also has every other tool in the game on top of one of the best AA jabs.

Godlike Anti Airs don't work if you approach on the ground. It's a design decision that means "you need to fight this character on the ground, stop jumping towards him".

Jumping in SF is basically taking your hand off the stick for however long these floaty jumps are, unable to block with 1 action allowed. Walk, block and learn to space your normals, stop asking for the dev team to improve reckless jump ins.

Edzi

Godlike Anti Airs don't work if you approach on the ground. It's a design decision that means "you need to fight this character on the ground, stop jumping towards him".

Jumping in SF is basically taking your hand off the stick for however long these floaty jumps are, unable to block with 1 action allowed. Walk, block and learn to space your normals, stop asking for the dev team to improve reckless jump ins.

Reckless jump ins are already encouraged in the game. Jab AA's are just annoying because they're braindead. Seeing your well spaced crossup or HK jump in get swatted out of the sky by the opponent mashing LP just doesn't feel good.

IMO, what needs to be done is to remove jab AAs entirely (by adjusting their ludicrous hitboxes) and making normal AAs (like Ryu's cr. HP, which is never used due to his godlike jab) better at deterring jumpers.

hamchan

I still find it weird how the mods are even supporting so many threads that all basically devolve into the same arguments. I mean, Steve Youngblood gave his justification, but it just feels odd that they're even backing the threads being made on a weekly basis.

Street Fighter is (or was) the biggest fighting game franchise of all time. To have it do so poorly is a pretty big deal for a lot of people so it's no surprise that it gets a million threads.

Also it's not weird at all that the mods aren't stepping in. They have no place to stifle legitimate discussion about why this game launched poorly, sold poorly and continues to not sell well. It's not like these are attack threads against a human being or anything. This is just a video game, SFV as an entity can't take negative views on it personally, even if the fans of the game seem to.

I for one think the state of this game and the continued updates on it is extremely fascinating and a great textbook case of how not to launch a game. I love playing it but it really did launch rough and still remains rough. I say keep the discussion on the game coming.

Reckless jump ins are already encouraged. Jab AA's are just annoying because they're braindead.

Yep. Jab anti airing is one of my biggest problem with this game. It takes no sense of spacing or timing. As of now its a "just do it " type of thing. And problem is the risk to reward ratio heavily favors for reward. Just dumb.

Street Fighter is (or was) the biggest fighting game franchise of all time. To have it do so poorly is a pretty big deal for a lot of people so it's no surprise that it gets a million threads.

Also it's not weird at all that the mods aren't stepping in. They have no place to stifle legitimate discussion about why this game launched poorly, sold poorly and continues to not sell well. It's not like these are attack threads against a human being or anything. This is just a video game, SFV as an entity can't take negative views on it personally, even if the fans of the game seem to.

I for one think the state of this game and the continued updates on it is extremely fascinating and a great textbook case of how not to launch a game. I love playing it but it really did launch rough and still remains rough. I say keep the discussion on the game coming.

But the discussions in those threads are pretty much circular at this point. Each thread is the same as the last beat for beat. No new insights really. Hell some of it is just drive shit posting.

Mr. X

Reckless jump ins are already encouraged in the game. Jab AA's are just annoying because they're braindead. Seeing your well spaced crossup or HK jump in get swatted out of the sky by the opponent mashing LP just doesn't feel good.

IMO, what needs to be done is to remove jab AAs entirely (by adjusting their ludicrous hitboxes) and making normal AAs (like Ryu's cr. HP, which is never used due to his godlike jab) better at deterring jumpers.

It's one or the other AAs are too strong doesn't encourage reckless jumping

Lmao at the reward for 30 dmg and a mixup being too good when a jump in combo is like 300 damage. I hope anti airs get better.

Trickster

Most failed games aren't a sequel to the most iconic series in it's genre.

And honestly this isn't the first game to receive this treatment on gaf. Destiny was pretty much the exact same. Game came out and was full of baffling flaws or missing features you'd expect to be in the game. The way gaf treated that game was the exact same. Threads would pop up about it in the gaming section and people mad/frustrated/dissapointed about the game would use it to vent. Meanwhile in Destiny's community threads they would react exactly like people in here have since this newest thread popped up.

hamchan

But the discussions in those threads are pretty much circular at this point. Each thread is the same as the last beat for beat. No new insights really. Hell some of it is just drive shit posting.

And it'll keep being circular until something changes, either Capcom improving the game or people losing interest in it.

We know that Capcom hasn't done that much of the former, so we should be glad that people still care enough the game to talk weekly about its deficiencies.

Trickster

Yep, officially starting to lose interesting in trying to use Juri... She feels like she has such a hard time doing stuff compared to simpler characters

I really enjoy messing with her in training mode, but most of that just feels like it's so hard to pull off in match...

-Capcom deserved it
-wait for super/ultra
-too much ass and tits

you forgot one

-it looks just like SFIV

Spuck-uk

Banned
Speaking of Sin, he's pretty much an example of why you don't do constant balance patches; people had him at mid or mid-high for a while until Revelator (which change any of his moves) where he was regarded as pretty much S tier till the balance patch (...I think FAB still had him at mid but FAB is weird). SFV might not have the same tech ceiling, and the days of people sleeping on characters for 5 years ala Dee Jay are long gone, but once a year seems perfectly fine for a shake up and then seeing how things land.

I remember 'Sin has great neutral/crazy damage but has no mixups' being the prevailing knowledge. Then people discovered quite late that he also has some real scumbag mixups, and things like optimized beak driver loops that 100% a portion of the cast.

And it'll keep being circular until something changes, either Capcom improving the game or people losing interest in it.

We know that Capcom hasn't done that much of the former, so we should be glad that people still care enough the game to talk weekly about its deficiencies.

I disagree with that. Matchmaking, online play in general, battle lounges, a free story mode, trials, login issues, and communication have all stepped up in the past few months. Compare this game right now to how it was when it launched - night and day. It's weird that people think that Capcom isn't doing shit when we've gotten a huge push to fix this game and add more to it.

And it still needs work. VS CPU, even better online, better CFN implementations, dailies, VS Special CPU Battles, stages transitions, and a better RQ system would definitely be welcome. But the discussions usually become hyperbolic at a certain point, with "the game is already doomed", etc.

I have no qualms with people discussing what the game is missing, but that would mean discussing and not just dropping off bitterness with no real purpose. To be fair, I'm guilty of doing this with a few games myself, and it's par for the course with forum talk. That's why OTs exists in general, I think.

That, and other people have different levels of forgiveness or what they want in a game. So someone buying it for the SP probably won't get enough out of it currently. So they have a right to air out those grievances.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Speaking of Sin, he's pretty much an example of why you don't do constant balance patches; people had him at mid or mid-high for a while until Revelator (which change any of his moves) where he was regarded as pretty much S tier till the balance patch (...I think FAB still had him at mid but FAB is weird). SFV might not have the same tech ceiling, and the days of people sleeping on characters for 5 years ala Dee Jay are long gone, but once a year seems perfectly fine for a shake up and then seeing how things land.

A month or so after that tier list, FAB got 5-0'd by Machabo pretty much just using Beak Driver.. FAB is weird

Spuck-uk

Banned
Fucking assholes who make new accounts.

I'm not good to begin with. This doesn't fucking help.

People who smurf are the worst kind of assholes next to rage quitters. Afraid to play at their actual skill level, in need of some easy wins to bolster their flimsy self confidence.

Top Bottom