• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

FluxWaveZ

There is a trick to teching consistently though, barring reads. Something about pressing a throw during the final frames of a block stun to avoid being tic thrown. I haven't mastered it, but it's something like that.

Fair enough. Sorry, I do enjoy playing with you and didn't mean to insinuate anything, I promise.
GGs btw

All good man, I won't ever hide anything so feel free to ask away. I think sharing with each other is def the best way to learn and help each other grow. I don't know enough in depth about throws except press it if I think they'll throw me. GGs!

You know, theres a couple noob questions I've been wanting to ask, but was too embarrassed. But since I've been blown up, ehh lets go all the way.

1. Why tech a grab at all? Shouldn't you attack if you know someone's going to grab?
2. What are your different get off the ground options and inputs again?
3. I keep flubbing necallis dp on air mix ups. Is ex dp the only invincible one?

Edit; at least numbe 2? I've googled the crap out of it and can't find it

JayEH

You know, theres a couple noob questions I've been wanting to ask, but was too embarrassed. But since I've been blown up, ehh lets go all the way.

1. Why tech a grab at all? Shouldn't you attack if you know someone's going to grab?
3. I keep flubbing necallis dp on air mix ups. Is ex dp the only invincible one?

i believe it's 2 punches for quick rise and 2 kicks for backwards quick rise.

How do you deal with Ibuki? I can't do shit as Sim.
I feel like the Ibuki match is way in Sim's favor. When I play it, I rely heavily on back teleports coming down with either hk or mp. Use EX flame to bait a jump or command dash. Use c.mp, b.mp, and lp to stop all of the jumps.

Giolon

I'm looking for some games.

CFN: CyberELF
Ultra Bronze
Chun-Li

Trying to work on my block strings and AA response.

Are the SRK forums down?

Also, is there a fight money breakdown anywhere? Specifically how much you get per each survival difficulty level. I've hoarded up 500k and I'm curious how much more I can realistically get. I almost feel like it's easier to get USD than capbucks!

galvenize

1. The only way one can react to a grab is grabbing as well. Trying to push any button will be too late.

Zackat

How do I get better at playing aggressively withou jumping in?

dash behind booms. get good spacing before you jump, you can inch your way in with good defense. Doesn't one of guile's buttons make him do a knee move that moves him forward really fast?

If you notice someone blocking dash in and throw their ass, or walk in and do it depending on the range.

I don't really play Guile, and most of the ones I fight are super tanky and more react to what I am doing instead of playing aggressive.

Bizazedo

Shimmies beat 80% of Platinum players. It's so good. I never bothered to try and tech everything so I don't get shimmied. I just take the throw unless you're greedy and being obvious about it.

Pretty much. I get wrecked by shimmies because of SF IV. Trying to break myself of the habit, now...:(.

It's hard.

GG's Seph. Stop jumping! :).

Anyone else around to invite? CFN Bizazedo.

SephLuis

GGs Bizazedo. Great matches.

Hope we can play more another day. I can really use more Bison MU knowledge and your Bison is pretty good. Hope the connection was good there too. Here there was only a few moments of instability, otherwise it was pretty good.

hamchan

Against people you're playing against for the first time I would just block for a while to learn their patterns before trying to tech. A good combo against your wrong tech is way more damaging than throw damage.

SephLuis

GG's Seph. Stop jumping! :).

I would but I have absolute no success into winning footsies against Bison. His normals are great to keep me out of range and there's his throw too. I honestly have no idea how to win against Bison that isn't on the air or very, very close to him.

Bizazedo

I would but I have absolute no success into winning footsies against Bison. His normals are great to keep me out of range and there's his throw too. I honestly have no idea how to win against Bison that isn't on the air or very, very close to him.

Walk towards him. Jump from closer in. The jumping at Bison isn't bad, his anti air game is shit, but you doing it at such huge distances and, even worse, predictably.

Instant air lightning leg.

And I dunno about that, Chun Li's buttons are probably just as good / better than Bison. Honestly, the main thing that burned you was predictability.

GGs Bizazedo. Great matches.

Hope we can play more another day. I can really use more Bison MU knowledge and your Bison is pretty good. Hope the connection was good there too. Here there was only a few moments of instability, otherwise it was pretty good.

And yeah, anytime. I need more Chun practice. Hell, everyone really.

Connection was good on my end 'cept for a few times like y'said. Nothing I'd blame a loss for.

(P.S. If you want to wreck me, Shimmy. Also, please Shimmy, I need to learn not to crouch tech).

SephLuis

Walk towards him. Jump from closer in. The jumping at Bison isn't bad, his anti air game is shit, but you doing it at such huge distances and, even worse, predictably.

Instant air lightning leg.

And I dunno about that, Chun Li's buttons are probably just as good / better than Bison. Honestly, the main thing that burned you was predictability.

At close range, Chun buttons are better. But long or even mid, no chance.

I would instant air legs, but I still haven't enough execution for it =(

galvenize

Invite sent

I guess, but if you know they're going to grab, attack no?

I see thanks

Tech grabbing happen because they react to it, not because they knew in advance. If your opponent knows you're going to tech his grab, of course they won't grab, they'll either crush counter it or shimmy.

Steroyd

The only thing that beats a throw is a jab, if you can confirm into a decent combo from a jab, that's all well and good, but other than that you're either blind comboing that the opponent could mix up, block and punish you harder than just taking the throw or zero damage from teching.

1. I believe the grab would beat attacks by grabbing most of them out of their startup frames. The only thing that might beat is jab and probably an invincible dp.
2. Hold back and press 2 buttons for a quick raise backflip and press 2 buttons for just a quick raise.
3. Not sure for necalli since I never use him.

Menitta

There was a "bug" where you used to combo a crouching opponent into a standing state to do the hooligan throw but they "fixed" it now.

Great. It's impossible to actually do now.

Also, if you skip a battle in Extra Story Mode, do you not get the 50k?

Edit: NVM, just scammed out of the bison fight.

Edit 2: Holy fuck, Bison is doing impossible combos. They are literally impossible.

Hey Biz, is their any reason to use Bison's MK scissors? I don't play Bison but I noticed that it seems like Bison players only use LK or HK scissors. With HK scissors being safe on block and LK scissors giving Bison players more push off and being safe when spaced right.

I finally started looking into what I can do after I block something like this and Laura's jab elbow. This probably sounds stupid, but I didn't know all this time that they could be thrown after blocking it. This opened up so many possibilities. I go into those matches just hoping they'll use those moves against me now so I can try to open them up when it's my turn.

Durden77

I'm starting to think that the "Super special costume" is Gill for Urien. Still don't know if I'm gonna buy that CPT thing. I really want the stuff but it's expensive.

Juri's fun as hell. Wasn't really into her in 4 but I liked her design, but she's fun in 5.

Exr

At close range, Chun buttons are better. But long or even mid, no chance.

I would instant air legs, but I still haven't enough execution for it =(
What? Chun Li has normals that are way better than Bison. Chuns normals are among the best in the game.

Sblargh

Banned
Ok, so I have played the game for, like, 4 hours now, therefore, I know exactly what is right and wrong with it.

Seriously tho, I don't know if I have the heart of my younger self to dedicate myself to this like I did 4, but it looks like more my kind of game than 4 was.
I'm going Ryu right now, people said he was good online at low levels and I guess I can see why just going by the damage output plus how easily it is to do his combos. I won most of my fights today and nothing really felt lame or gimmicky.
I had Nash, Vega and Juri players trying to do stuff that is ambiguous, but it didn't really worked well for them most of the time, probably due to the low level of the players, but right now I am pleased that this looks like a footsie game, lots of buttons going back and forth. I guess I'll start to get frustrated when I start playing against people who know how to keep the pressure up so knockdowns don't essentially reset the game.

I'm probably saying a lot of bullshit right now. Anyway, here is what is wrong with the game:

50 round survival mode? What the hell? Jesus fucking christ.

Bizazedo

Hey Biz, is their any reason to use Bison's MK scissors? I don't play Bison but I noticed that it seems like Bison players only use LK or HK scissors. With HK scissors being safe on block and LK scissors giving Bison players more push off and being safe when spaced right.

I finally started looking into what I can do after I block something like this and Laura's jab elbow. This probably sounds stupid, but I didn't know all this time that they could be thrown after blocking it. This opened up so many possibilities. I go into those matches just hoping they'll use those moves against me now so I can try to open them up when it's my turn.

Damage mostly and slightly safer on block than LK. Optimal combos use medium scissors, like after double air hell attack, for example, and a few other combos.

They can be thrown if they space it badly (and HK scissors usually are spaced badly because bison's say fuck it, I'm completely safe after it, amirite?!). If they space it well, you're not gonna throw them due to push back.

Most don't, though :).

The other interesting thing is that on block, light scissors are the most unsafe of the three. On HIT? Light scissors gives the most advantage, next being medium and then heavy etc. So that's why you see people ignore medium a lot. On hit, light scissors gives Bison carte blanche to try and frame trap the shit out of somebody. On block, heavy is not punishable (except by throw and only if they freeze).

Giolon

Invite sent

I see thanks

Thanks for all the matches. I'm not sure If I learned to improve anything I was aiming for (I'm still terrible at them) but the matches were a lot of fun! I don't have a lot of experience against Necalli and Rashid's, but I feel like I've been fighting a shit ton of Balrogs all week. IDK if you could tell but my hands and wrists were getting tired halfway through those Rashid matches and my execution was getting even worse than usual.

Please feel free to add me to your CFN friends list and invite me to beat up any time!

Ketch

dash behind booms. get good spacing before you jump, you can inch your way in with good defense. Doesn't one of guile's buttons make him do a knee move that moves him forward really fast?

If you notice someone blocking dash in and throw their ass, or walk in and do it depending on the range.

I don't really play Guile, and most of the ones I fight are super tanky and more react to what I am doing instead of playing aggressive.

My mistake I should clarified that I've been trying juri... Specifically because she seems more offensive and I want to learn something like the opposite of guile, which juri seems very different from guile.

FireSol

This is UE4's post process antialiasing, it heavily relies on blur. Downgrade AA to low or medium and you'll see it go away, but will gain a lot of shimmering on characters. I leave my AA set to high and just deal with the blur in The Grid. You don't notice it on the other stages.

Thanks for the solution, will do this

When you tech a throw you have an additional window to counter which I think is seven frames, i.e you can still break a throw seven frames into the grab animation, so you have more leniency to react.

Also even though throws have 5 frames start up where they can be counter hit, they take priority over normals that are active on the same frame. So this means if they go for a tick throw when they are at +2 (after a blocked st.LP say) then the throw will beat any three frame move you throw out.

Sometimes you have more time to counter if they are going for dash or walk up grabs for example, and if their tick attempts are predictable you can use throw invincible moves like a DP.

Zackat

My mistake I should clarified that I've been trying juri... Specifically because she seems more offensive and I want to learn something like the opposite of guile, which juri seems very different from guile.

you still playing? I could play a round with you and see.

Top Bottom