• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

That feel when a player gets so predictable with dash up throws that you start EX command grabbing on reaction.

Not possible with Necalli's grab sadly. The foibles of a quasi grappler :´[
Still, tho, I get to be fast otherwise.

When you tech a throw you have an additional window to counter which I think is seven frames, i.e you can still break a throw seven frames into the grab animation, so you have more leniency to react.

Also even though throws have 5 frames start up where they can be counter hit, they take priority over normals that are active on the same frame. So this means if they go for a tick throw when they are at +2 (after a blocked st.LP say) then the throw will beat any three frame move you throw out.

Sometimes you have more time to counter if they are going for dash or walk up grabs for example, and if their tick attempts are predictable you can use throw invincible moves like a DP.

Thats a good write up. Very informative thanks.

HiResDes

Broke my fightpad after missing some inputs, been a spectator for a week, Juri doesn't like that great right now to me. What are ya'll early impressions?

SinZega

does anyone have a cheap shit tactic for juri hard survival. i watched some vids and know about the jump ins and st.mp. any more?

I couldn't find anything broken like chun v skill or rashid flying kick that breaks survival for juri. You pretty much have to knockdown and get a meaty jumping attack to beat every character(which is the strategy for almost every character you want to win survival with). I beat hard(2 tries) and extreme(1st try) using the following strategy with juri:

Back off and charge all 3 kicks first. Then do one of the following depending on where you are.

1. (cross up) jump lk or mk - 2x cr.lp - H dp kicks. (Juri's jump lk feels like ryu's jump lk and will vortex m. bison to death as long as you do it as a crossup just as he gets up)

2. (close range) St.mp - mk charge(if no mk charge) or back hk (2 hits) hit confirm to lk knockdown kick (2-1-4 kick). If b.hk is blocked, cancel to charge if needed otherwise do nothing and back off.

3. (After knockdown) Forward Jump hk - st.hp (hit confirm the st.hp) - charged mk - cr. mp - lk knockdown kick. After knockdown charge mk. If quick get up, do combo 2, throw, or backoff. Otherwise dash forward once then neutral jump and do combo 3.

Cancel lk knockdown kick to super only if it kills, otherwise save it as a wake up if cpu starts mauling you.

General tip for survival: Always save v gauge for v reversal. It'll be a knockdown so you can do combo 3(any meaty jumping combo). Only use v trigger if the combo will kill.
Always heal up if you have more damage than what heal lvl 1 can do, otherwise only use atk buff.

There are specific things you can do against each character(like the m.bison tip above) regardless of who you play as so if there's a character that's giving you trouble, feel free to ask.

So I haven't been paying close attention but I remember reading around launch that you can't crouch tech and plinking had been rendered pointless and I've been playing under those assumptions for awhile. Am I just completely remembering wrong or did something change with a patch? Clearly I can crouch tech and it appears plinking works just fine, but the lenient input buffer makes it hard to confirm.

mbpm1

So I haven't been paying close attention but I remember reading around launch that you can't crouch tech and plinking had been rendered pointless and I've been playing under those assumptions for awhile. Am I just completely remembering wrong or did something change with a patch? Clearly I can crouch tech and it appears plinking works just fine, but the lenient input buffer makes it hard to confirm.

By crouch teching, do you mean when you are crouching and you tech, your character throws?

I couldn't find anything broken like chun v skill or rashid flying kick that breaks survival for juri. You pretty much have to knockdown and get a meaty jumping attack to beat every character(which is the strategy for almost every character you want to win survival with). I beat hard(2 tries) and extreme(1st try) using the following strategy with juri:

Back off and charge all 3 kicks first. Then do one of the following depending on where you are.

1. (cross up) jump lk or mk - 2x cr.lp - H dp kicks. (Juri's jump lk feels like ryu's jump lk and will vortex m. bison to death as long as you do it as a crossup just as he gets up)

2. (close range) St.mp - mk charge(if no mk charge) or back hk (2 hits) hit confirm to lk knockdown kick (2-1-4 kick). If b.hk is blocked, cancel to charge if needed otherwise do nothing and back off.

3. (After knockdown) Forward Jump hk - st.hp (hit confirm the st.hp) - charged mk - cr. mp - lk knockdown kick. After knockdown charge mk. If quick get up, do combo 2, throw, or backoff. Otherwise dash forward once then neutral jump and do combo 3.

Cancel lk knockdown kick to super only if it kills, otherwise save it as a wake up if cpu starts mauling you.

General tip for survival: Always save v gauge for v reversal. It'll be a knockdown so you can do combo 3(any meaty jumping combo). Only use v trigger if the combo will kill.
Always heal up if you have more damage than what heal lvl 1 can do, otherwise only use atk buff.

There are specific things you can do against each character(like the m.bison tip above) regardless of who you play as so if there's a character that's giving you trouble, feel free to ask.

thanks dude, that's a very nice write-up. i die to cammy or rashid for some reason. didn't have problems with other chars against them. maybe i'm just bad with juri. will try some of your tricks next time.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Lol that Twelve thing looks so lame. Like Pepsiman without the Pepsi branding. Nothing.
Genius eSports branding incoming

pepsi_man_by_superhermit-d5abagx.jpg

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ah, Twelve; one of the worst characters in 3rd Strike, yet I'd rather have him than Remy.

Waking up to the outright disrespect of the best--and most graceful--of all charge characters just ruined the rest of my day. Smh.

This is to say nothing about how awesome Twelve would look in the SFV engine! V-Skill: Invisibility, V-Trigger: Mimic character he's fighting. Give him better stamina and damage output and done!!

Scotia

Banned
The only meaty I found with Juri is St.MK after a quick rise. It can also be used as a safe jump after a grab on normal rise up. Except for Jab AA you need to use St.HK and J.LK instead of St.MK. Even then the timing it still strict.

For her Safe Jumps and Meaty after a Heavy Pinwheel combo.You can press Cr.MP than St.MK. If you use Medium Pinwheel instead, you use two Cr.MP and J.LK. It beats Jab AA and is a safe jump against Reversals.

If Juri didn't have her pinwheel mapped as a DP motion, she could Crush Counter a DP and melt health away as well as getting a stun.

Goron2000

best junior ever
Hey SF community! I'm going to my friends place later to play some SF5. If he has purchased some characters and I have purchased different characters, if I signed into my psn account as player 2 will we both have access to our combined pool of purchased characters? Thanks

RM8

Twelve is... well, I don't think he's much better than Seth, the Cycloids, Dural, Cinder, Geegus, etc. - those characters could easily be a trope. "Low effort humanoid blob" or something like that.

Astrael

Yup, I loved his animations and his bizarro style of play. He was one of my mains along with Hugo and Remy. Living dat low-tier life!!

I remember thinking he was pretty fun and interesting, especially when using the X.C.O.P.Y. super art, but I couldn't shake the feeling he looked and played more like he belonged in Darkstalkers than SF. My mains were Yang, Remy, and Makoto in that game but I played pretty much everyone... except Alex, Ryu, and Akuma lol.

Now I gotta look up that blockstring throw tech Flux mentioned, cause I really really do not handle grab defense well. It's not that I don't read it coming, I just never seem to react properly.

Skilletor

Chun's MP > cr.LK xx SBK

What's the trick to doing this? I'm either late on the SBK or I don't have enough charge.

You mean c.mk, right?

The trick is to begin charging immediately after you press s.mp, and to cancel the c.mk as late as you can. You can cancel it really late, and that gives you the time you need to get the charge for the sbk.

Any NeoGaf battles lounges on the go just now? Or anyone like to play a few games? I'm a bronze Karin. CFN: allintospace.

also, in the UK region wise.

I don't think you know what crouch teching refers to... holding db and pressing grab in sf4 does something completely different than in sf5, the option select is gone.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
As bad as the two of them are, they still aren't as bad as twelve.

Nothing was bad about Twelve except for his stamina and damage output! People just didn't like the work needed to learn him, which is understandable, since everything was a struggle due to those deficiencies. His animations, his taunt, his Jet Plane Super! Instant air dash pressure!! Walking under fireballs like a (freakish) boss!!! Twelve is dope.

I don't think you know what crouch teching refers to... holding db and pressing grab in sf4 does something completely different than in sf5, the option select is gone.
Right, so because it doesn't OS a lk, its not a crouch tech?

That's pretty pedantic, but atleast I know what people were referring to.

Right, so because it doesn't OS a lk, its not a crouch tech?

That's pretty pedantic, but atleast I know what people were referring to.

No it's not, because in SF5 you will stand your ass up and no longer be crouching, which means you can eat a target combo that would whiff on crouching.
In SF4 you stayed crouching, that's why it isn't called crouch teching anymore, you literally stop being crouched.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's kind of a mixed state. Like you keep your down charge while teching crouching, for example.

A little off-topic, but I just saw that Challonge is now owned by the XSplit company. Isn't that the site of some known FGC person? I can't remember who, though.

RM8

El Fuerte is awesome, sorely missed
by me
, and he shouldn't be compared with "90s fighting game humanoid blob".

No it's not, because in SF5 you will stand your ass up and no longer be crouching, which means you can eat a target combo that would whiff on crouching.
In SF4 you stayed crouching, that's why it isn't called crouch teching anymore, you literally stop being crouched.

You can still tech throws from a crouch, it just doesn't have a meaningful crouch LK OS anymore, I get it.Clearly I misunderstood what people were saying at launch.

The fact that you stand when you whiff a tech doesn't strip it of it's name IMO. It works differently but it's still a tech from a crouching position.

You can still tech throws from a crouch, it just doesn't have a meaningful crouch LK OS anymore, I get it.Clearly I misunderstood what people were saying at launch.

The fact that you stand when you whiff a tech doesn't strip it of it's name IMO. It works differently but it's still a tech from a crouching position.

No it really isn't, just because you're holding down doesn't mean you're crouching when the tech happens. You crouch, press grab, your character stands up, you grab.

It isn't crouch > grab like in SF4

No it really isn't, just because you're holding down doesn't mean you're crouching when the tech happens. You crouch, press grab, your character stands up, you grab.

It isn't crouch > grab like in SF4

Pedantic, as I said.

If "crouch tech" can only refer to how it works in SF4, then yeah I guess it can't be called "crouch tech". I will proceed calling it "tech from crouch" just for you.

Pedantic, as I said.

If "crouch tech" can only refer to how it works in SF4, then yeah I guess it can't be called "crouch tech". I will proceed calling it "tech from crouch" just for you.

Then you'd be the first and only person to do so, nobody makes that distinction because your character stands up, there are no special states; it's just "teching".

Top Bottom