• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Shadoken

I feel like Rog needs armor on his ex dash punches.

Hmm but its soo fast. How exactly would you punish it?

I mean in SF4 , Ex dash was relatively slow and was prone to Focus Attacks and Throws. But in this game , What exactly is stopping Rog from just throwin it out to get in on Fireball Zoners?

FChamps Nash matchup list. funnily enough Fang is stated as an advantageous matchup. So there is definitely something big I dont know in this matchup.

FANG'S frame trap is why he has a advantage over Nash. Without V-Reversal, Nash really can't do anything other than holding block.

I feel like Rog needs armor on his ex dash punches.

He already has one in one of his dash punishes, he doesn't need another.

JayEH

FANG'S frame trap is why he has a advantage over Nash. Without V-Reversal, Nash really can't do anything other than holding block.

He already has one in one of his dash punishes, he doesn't need another.

That's only his ex upper which is super slow and doesn't have armor on the first frame iirc.

GGs, Omni. I was doing some weird execution mistakes when playing as Mika, but in general I find it incredibly difficult to defend against Ken. I think what I'm missing is that I'm still not using V-Reversals enough; they're extremely important.
GGs buddy, yeah it's still online, some stuff is just not going to be as sharp. I'm gonna switch to a monitor to see if it helps, but yeah V-reversal is a skill underutilized by almost everyone including myself. Would be great to play you offline....

Till next time

FluxWaveZ

GGs buddy, yeah it's still online, some stuff is just not going to be as sharp. I'm gonna switch to a monitor to see if it helps, but yeah V-reversal is a skill underutilized by almost everyone including myself. Would be great to play you offline....

Till next time

I guess online might be a factor, but our connection's pretty decent so I won't use that as an excuse for some of the stuff I was doing. I tend to freeze up for some reason mid-motion for a Wingless Airplane that would hit you, which results in a st.HK which I get messed up for.

Just gotta practice my motions more intently. I definitely have an easier time with Mika vs. Ken. Opponents who can get all over him like Ken, Cammy or Rashid are really tough to deal with as Balrog, but the fear factor that is inherent to Mika and her passion press makes things way more manageable.

//ARCANUM

Anyone have Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition? Considering grabbing it from PSN. Not sure if I should get the $15 or $20 version.

The more expensive version says it has:

"You get Match Pack 1 & 2 (Watch Epic Pro Tournies), Character Color Pack 1 & 2 (Over 250 costume colors), Unlock Gill (Quickly unlock the boss as playable), Unlock Dipswitches (Access to game modifiers), and Music Pack 1 & 2 (Add the ability to customize music from New Generation and Double Impact)."

I would imagine match pack 1 & 2 is useless now that those tournaments are over. Or are they just replays or something? As for the character colors, can those just be unlocked normally in the stand version? Is it worth it for the extra $5?

Sorry for hijacking the SFV thread for this, didn't think it was thread worthy to ask.

FluxWaveZ

Aren't all blocked V-Reversals -2? Atleast those that you can block.

I haven't actually looked at the frame data of other V-Reversals (so -2 is the universal value?), but the reason why I specifically know Balrog's when I don't even know Mika's or anyone else's is because of how obvious it looks and how bad it is when it does get blocked, since it pushes Balrog straight into them when he already has terrible defensive options.

If Ken's or Mika's are -2, it's still hard to punish them because of what their V-Reversals are, which makes them pretty much safe. Balrog is unsafe in the same circumstances, on the other hand.

SmokeMaxX

Aren't all blocked V-Reversals -2? Atleast those that you can block.
I think the ones that hit you but don't knockdown are neutral on block and plus on hit. For example, Chun's is 0/+1 and Ken's is 0/+2. I haven't checked the numbers of the rest, but AFAIK, they're either -2 on block or, in Cammy's Case, actually punishable on block (-6? -8?).

Pompadour

Anyone have Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition? Considering grabbing it from PSN. Not sure if I should get the $15 or $20 version.

"You get Match Pack 1 & 2 (Watch Epic Pro Tournies), Character Color Pack 1 & 2 (Over 250 costume colors), Unlock Gill (Quickly unlock the boss as playable), Unlock Dipswitches (Access to game modifiers), and Music Pack 1 & 2 (Add the ability to customize music from New Generation and Double Impact)."

I would imagine match pack 1 & 2 is useless now that those tournaments are over. Or are they just replays or something? As for the character colors, can those just be unlocked normally in the stand version? Is it worth it for the extra $5?

Sorry for hijacking the SFV thread for this, didn't think it was thread worthy to ask.

The colors, I believe, are DLC colors that weren't found in the original game and you can't unlock them.

I haven't actually looked at the frame data of other V-Reversals (so -2 is the universal value?), but the reason why I specifically know Balrog's when I don't even know Mika's or anyone else's is because of how obvious it looks and how bad it is when it does get blocked, since it pushes Balrog straight into them when he already has terrible defensive options.

If Ken's or Mika's are -2, it's still hard to punish them because of what their V-Reversals are, which makes them pretty much safe. Balrog is unsafe in the same circumstances, on the other hand.

Most are -2 but not all. Chun-Li's is 0 oB, Balrog's is -2 oB, Cammy's is -8 oB (yes, it's punishable), Ken's is also 0 oB. V-frames app doesn't have Alex,Guile, Mika, Juri and Laura's for some reason.

you misread the post. FChamp is saying Nash has the advantage not the other way around.

I really can't think of anything maybe being able to trade with his fireball with medium scythe. Does he even have a Nash? He didn't do to well with him last week in CPT online.

LakeEarth

Colours are fun. Never played the other SF3s so the music didn't do much for me. Everything else didn't appeal to me.

The game used to show up in flash sales a lot, for $4 or so, but it's been a little while. You may want to wait for the next one to see if it shows up.

Edit - still people playing on PSN though I haven't played it since SF5 came out. I've heard XBL has a bigger population though.

I really can't think of anything maybe being able to trade with his fireball with medium scythe. Does he even have a Nash? He didn't do to well with him last week in CPT online.

He has a Nash, mainly to deal with 1 or 2 matchups I believe. Maybe he'll switch over full time, not sure.

He switches to nash for certain matchups, also he said his matches were laggy and dhalsim with lag is unplayable, so he just stuck to nash.

I guess online might be a factor, but our connection's pretty decent so I won't use that as an excuse for some of the stuff I was doing. I tend to freeze up for some reason mid-motion for a Wingless Airplane that would hit you, which results in a st.HK which I get messed up for.

Just gotta practice my motions more intently. I definitely have an easier time with Mika vs. Ken. Opponents who can get all over him like Ken, Cammy or Rashid are really tough to deal with as Balrog, but the fear factor that is inherent to Mika and her passion press makes things way more manageable.
Yea Mika is top tier I think in actual matches. Her weakness on paper don't translate as much in real matches. Only downside to her game is when you are playing a person that is very aware of what's safe and unsafe, and plays very patient. Sometimes you can get a read on Mika if you don't mix it up and she's not as versatile as Ryu or Chun, Nash etc...

I can't wait to see Akuma in this engine

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I'm suddenly getting a lot of Northern African opponents (according to their flags atleast), too. Weird.

i don't know why this game suddenly thinks it's cool to match me with arab players starting this weekend. thanks for the rollback i guess.

I got matched with another Libyan player for the first time in my online life (Since CoD in 2011), and I was shocked that he had the flag and everything and didn't have any lag. They must've improved the internet ever since I left lmao, cause I don't think .2 Mb/s would have been able to provide no rollback.

Whales

Banned
The matchmaking in this game has been fucked for me ever since the Ibuki/Balrog update.

Ive literally only been fighting people with like 2.5k points as an ultra bronze player

and i also get matched with flags I dont even recognize or knew that they even existed

so yea

also balrog is considered weak? I get wrecked by every single balrog online and also he looks so good in the hands of PRRog

Pompadour

Ive literally only been fighting people with like 2.5k points as an ultra bronze player

and i also get matched with flags I dont even recognize or knew that they even existed

so yea

also balrog is considered weak? I get wrecked by every single balrog online and also he looks so good in the hands of PRRog

He seems to be a killer of lower-skilled players but he's got some glaring weaknesses. I don't know who you play but he's weak on defense and against projectile zoning.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
There have been quite a few people saying they've been locked out of the matchmaking because they got a few ragequitters in a row. Basically Capcom can't tell which side the RQ was on and if you get a few in a row, you'll get punished.

Whales

Banned
He seems to be a killer of lower-skilled players but he's got some glaring weaknesses. I don't know who you play but he's weak on defense and against projectile zoning.

well that's def. why he destroys me

dunno, his straight punches seem unpunishable to me (spaced correctly) and he has that flip move to ignore fireballs

He just feels like he hits hard as hell off off one confirm

dunno, his straight punches seem unpunishable to ke (spaced correctly) and he has that flip move to ignore fireballs

It is safe if spaced correctly, he's still minus though.

And you can't throw fireballs at him when you're close cause that's where the v-skill is almost a guaranteed hit.

If you do get a hit in and do get a knockdown, keep pushing at him. His defense is poo-poo.

Try neutral jumping occasionally to bait out a dash punch or something and then punish it.

Also don't panic when he's doing those constant punches in V-trigger. Most online balrog's try to cancel into v-skill into overhead in the middle of those punches which is incredibly punishable if blocked so just block high and be weary of throws.

Mr. X

dunno, his straight punches seem unpunishable to me (spaced correctly) and he has that flip move to ignore fireballs

Neutral jump when you feel he's in the space to dash punch safely or walk more into or out of the range so you can punish it for not being spaced well or whiffing entirely.

He's seems like Bison, in that he relies on V trigger too much. May hurt more for him, since he basically requires the meter for V reversals to take pressure off himself.
Worth noting Rog got back into to top ten with him, so his shit works somewhat on high tier as well, at least for now.

I got matched with another Libyan player for the first time in my online life (Since CoD in 2011), and I was shocked that he had the flag and everything and didn't have any lag. They must've improved the internet ever since I left lmao, cause I don't think .2 Mb/s would have been able to provide no rollback.

nice, but maybe he just picked the flag because it looked good or he has his roots over there. i only mentioned this because i'm being matched with them more often. anything from saudi arabia to morocco.

Capcom, plz add Oro or Gen in Season 2 so Xian can go back to playing with the martial arts grandmasters/assassins that he's always played as, thanks.

He might drop Ibuki in the future but I feel like he ain't dropping FANG any time soon.

Whales

Banned
It is safe if spaced correctly, he's still minus though.

And you can't throw fireballs at him when you're close cause that's where the v-skill is almost a guaranteed hit.

If you do get a hit in and do get a knockdown, keep pushing at him. His defense is poo-poo.

Try neutral jumping occasionally to bait out a dash punch or something and then punish it.

Also don't panic when he's doing those constant punches in V-trigger. Most online balrog's try to cancel into v-skill into overhead in the middle of those punches which is incredibly punishable if blocked so just block high and be weary of throws.

Neutral jump when you feel he's in the space to dash punch safely or walk more into or out of the range so you can punish it for not being spaced well or whiffing entirely.

good tips , now I do realize that my biggest issue is with his overhead. Need to start blocking high instead of low all the time

Capcom, plz add Oro or Gen in Season 2 so Xian can go back to playing with the martial arts grandmasters/assassins that he's always played as, thanks.

He might drop Ibuki in the future but I feel like he ain't dropping FANG any time soon.

at least he'll be ready once the inevitable FANG buff happens

Sigmaah

I can't wait till akuma is in the game so I can play a char that I really like that has a dp. Sagat too I fuck with him heavy

Is Birdie's bullhorn invincible? Holy shit

And are his headbutts safe in V-Trigger?

His regular bullhorn is projectile invincible. And he moves backwards in the startup so sometimes he might punish some normals with it but that's really rare. EX Bullhorn has armor from frame 1 and in V-Trigger, has 2 hits of armor instead of just the 1.

And his headbutts are all -9 oB while in V-trigger though they have some insane pushback so I'm not sure if they're realistically punishable. The EX one is -7.

Honestly, all of his shit is punishable on block.
I can't wait till akuma is in the game so I can play a char that I really like that has a dp. Sagat too I fuck with him heavy

Sagat and/or sakura are locks for next year I think.
I'd love any of them honestly. Always enjoyed playing with all of them, Sakura a bit more though.

His regular bullhorn is projectile invincible. And he moves backwards in the startup so sometimes he might punish some normals with it but that's really rare. EX Bullhorn has armor from frame 1 and in V-Trigger, has 2 hits of armor instead of just the 1.

I guess I'm super unlucky then. This guy kept waking up with it and he went straight through all my meaties.

6 again, one every 2 months I'd think.
So Abel, Oro, Sean, Ed, Viper, and, wild guess, Hugo to close it out.
I think the entire 3rd strike cast has a real good chance to get in this game. Seems to be the way they're going.

Top Bottom