• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Big Brett

Thanks for hanging, Reizo, and anyone else who I didn't notice. The grind is going awesome haha. Learning a lot. Thanks for all the advice too, Reizo.

GGs, your Necalli is a lot different than I expected haha. Makes me happy to see so many different playstyles for characters in this game.

Thanks. I've been worried I need to do a complete overhaul of my playstyle, but I've found most of my defeats are from predictability and weak AA so far.

Who is good in that situation honestly?

Rashid maybe? A metered invincible reversal and a V-reversal that straight up gets him out of the corner. Even Nash doesn't have a true invincible reversal.

EDIT: Cammy is actually better possibly since she has a meterless reversal and her V-reversal straight up turns the tides instead of just getting some distance there. But it's easier to bait out I suppose since you know that's what she's gonna want to do.

Granted the goal in that situation for every character is to just get the fuck out of that corner.

SephLuis

why can't you down Mk well?

Not sure where you're going wrong with those buttons; they're good. I like using all the buttons in some way or another I've found.

For me I tend to avoid overusing st. hk though, it's a bit slow for my liking and -4 ends your turn. St. mk is good range, climbs over some lower buttons and is still -4 but is faster startup. i use mk primarily. St. hk from farther range to catch buttons, rarely in range to hit.

Cr/. mp seems to actually be around the same range as cr. mk, figures for SFV, so you can use that buffered into lk flip or one of her charge moves if you want as a counterpoke in footsies.

I don't focus too heavily on her fireball, 50 slow damage and not particularly fast recovery means I only toss it out when I want some wakeup pressure or to make some moves safe most of the time, except for characters with slower jumps/fireball options like Gief.

For her sweep I use it to check people low when I think they'll stand for whatever reason, but also when they're trying to find the answer to st. mk/cr mp because it usually beats the buttons they would use in that case.

St. hp I don't use much in footsies, but when I do it's usually to act similarly to cr. mp in that I can buffer it into a move and it hits high where cr. mp hits low.

st lk is decent check on a cr. mk or similar buttons. If you can buffer it into pinwheel without having it come out on whiff (I can't really yet) it's better.

and of course, I use pinwheel in footsies to annoy people. a hit is +2 and it's fast enough to be hard to punish when not predictable. They still can but focusing on punishing it means they can't react to my buttons/walk up/dash up/throw

Thanks for the answer, this post game me a few ideas.

I am not using cr.mk too much because, ideally, you would cancel it into lk pinwheel. But it's been quite a while I haven't played a character with SRK motion and you have to input it quite fast. Sometimes the charge mk leg comes out and it's not safe since at a good range it whiffs.

I haven't been using a lot cr.mp or s.hp either and those are huge for combos. I haven't thought of using them as counter pokes but in any situation I tried it was either a loss or a whiff.

I know I need to improve footsies because it's the main reason I am losing a good number of matches. Gief just became a hell of a MU to me because I cannot keep him away. A good Gief is punishing my long range pokes my grabbing limbs or using armor moves while closing the distance. Had other issues with Ryu too that most pokes of him take considerable life.

st.mk and st.hk aren't working on higher level opponents so I need someway to either get in front of them with a knockdown and maintain the pressure or find a better combinations of buttons to play the footsie. I will try to use cr.mp and cr.mk more along with the lights to see how far it will take me.

Csr

bLLL8g9.png

The salt is unreal.

How old is he 12?
Very classy.

https://www.twitch.tv/electronicdojo/v/82270849?t=39m59s

He got mad cause EX Legs was thrown out to stuff whatever counter poke he was going to do. You can see that he was about to do something and got hit by it.

That was a read, pure and simple. Can't believe he's thinking that the move is OP in any way.

If it was a birdie, they would've done EX Bullhorn and accomplished the same result. Mika or Laura with their armored moves too.

If it was a birdie, they would've done EX Bullhorn and accomplished the same result. Mika or Laura with their armored moves too.

I wouldn't consider it the same thing, not even close when one move is safe on block and the others aren't. It was a read but he wasnt willing to put himself at that much risk. If it wasn't so fast and safe on block then CCL wouldn't have been using it as much. But he got a good read on Chris so why not when it's working so much. Now the way Phenom beat Fuudo is a completely different story lol.

mbpm1

I wouldn't consider it the same thing, not even close when one move is safe on block and the others aren't. It was a read but he wasnt willing to put himself at that much risk. If it wasn't so fast and safe on block then CCL wouldn't have been using it as much. But he got a good read on Chris so why not when it's working so much. Now the way Phenom beat Fuudo is a completely different story lol.

What did Phenom do with Fuudo again?

That was a read, pure and simple. Can't believe he's thinking that the move is OP in any way.

I don't think it's the same, even if chris t didn't do anything, the chun would've been safe after the ex legs, none of the 3 characters you mentioned would've been safe after their ex's; the risk for just doing it, read or no, is far less for chun.

I don't think it's the same, even if chris t didn't do anything, the chun would've been safe after the ex legs, none of the 3 characters you mentioned would've been safe after their ex's; the risk for just doing it, read or no, is far less for chun.

That is true. I guess I was looking at it from the "confident on my read" pov and didn't consider that.

What are your favorite top 8s so far in SFV's life? I think Stunfest is still my favorite, especially with Phenom winning out of left field.

Nash doesn't have too many bad MUs, but I think his are Vega, FANG, Balrog, and maybe Chun. Sim is an annoying matchup, but I'm still not sure if I consider it bad.
As a Nash player, these are the emotions that run through me when I see the character pop up at the loading screen:

Alex Confident
Balrog Confident
Birdie Confident
Cammy Challenged
Chun-Li Very Challenged
Dhalsim Challenged
F.A.N.G Confident
Guile Very Challenged
Ibuki Confident
Juri Confident
Karin Scared
Ken Scared
Laura Scared
M. Bison Very Scared
Nash Uninterested
Necalli Scared
R. Mika NIGHTMARE
Ryu Confident
Vega Very Scared
Zangief Very Confident

Shadoken

Nash doesn't have too many bad MUs, but I think his are Vega, FANG, Balrog, and maybe Chun. Sim is an annoying matchup, but I'm still not sure if I consider it bad.

All his match ups are 5-5 or 6-4 imo

FChamps Nash matchup list. funnily enough Fang is stated as an advantageous matchup. So there is definitely something big I dont know in this matchup.
Also I think Ryu and Ken should be 5.5 in Nash favor at least. Shotos have a hard time getting in and cant zone him.

05_fchampnashtier01.jpg

05_fchampnashtier02.jpg

There seems to be a pretty big difference in opinion between pro community and online community. It seems people tend to sleep on characters like Cammy,Rashid,Karin. While Nash,Necalli and Mika get pushed up. Possibly due it ease of play or frequency?

What did Phenom do with Fuudo again?

He was something like 10/10 on wake up DP's. Even when he didn't dp he would somehow counter hit Fuudo when he was getting up from a knockdown. This happened a lot as well because Fuudo was probably going for a delayed normal because he didn't want to get caught by wake up DP.

Hyun Sai

This is apparently the new "disappointed" gif :

l3fQjyWfkCKbdQVMI.gif

We have to consider those moves have also armor, unlike Ex legs, no ?

FChamps Nash matchup list. funnily enough Fang is stated as an advantageous matchup. So there is definitely something big I dont know in this matchup.
Also I think Ryu and Ken should be 5.5 in Nash favor at least. Shotos have a hard time getting in and cant zone him.

There seems to be a pretty big difference in opinion between pro community and online community. It seems people tend to sleep on characters like Cammy,Rashid,Karin. While Nash,Necalli and Mika get pushed up. Possibly due it ease of play or frequency?

I play a lot of FANG and I honestly don't know how this is a 6-4 matchup in favour of Nash. If anything, it should be the other way. Both of them have ways around the others skillset but ultimately, I feel like a FANG that knows the matchup will have an advantage over a Nash that knows the matchup.

Shadoken

I play a lot of FANG and I honestly don't know how this is a 6-4 matchup in favour of Nash. If anything, it should be the other way. Both of them have ways around the others skillset but ultimately, I feel like a FANG that knows the matchup will have an advantage over a Nash that knows the matchup.

Yea But knowing the match up and fighting a player of that high skill is different. Pros dont 'crack' as easily under high pressure. But who knows its just this one guy's opinion. I know Xian gave infiltration a lot of trouble in that Chinese tournament ( forgot the name ).

I wish Evenhubs did a combined tier list , except instead of taking every random player's matchup list. They can get the matchup lists from various pro players. With some insight on each matchup.

vulva

I think you're confusing not being willing with not needing to.

not really, they don't have armour on the first frame, and they start up slower than ex legs (cept ex peach, which is as fast)

EX Bullhorn does have armor from the first frame. EX Bullhorn in V-Trigger can also tank 2 hits instead of one.

EX Peach has armor on the 3rd frame and not sure of Laura's EX dash punch.

mbpm1

Yea But knowing the match up and fighting a player of that high skill is different. Pros dont 'crack' as easily under high pressure. But who knows its just this one guy's opinion. I know Xian gave infiltration a lot of trouble in that Chinese tournament ( forgot the name ).
He did? I guess xian learned something after infiltration 200 - 4 d him lol

FluxWaveZ

GGs, Omni. I was doing some weird execution mistakes when playing as Mika, but in general I find it incredibly difficult to defend against Ken. I think what I'm missing is that I'm still not using V-Reversals enough; they're extremely important.

Top Bottom