• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

I hope Mika doesn't get nerfed. She's pretty perfect as she is right now imo, and I'm not just saying that as someone who mains her.

I do wish they'd give back Urien's special-cancellable crMK though; that'd be such an amazing tool for him.

I just got rage quit on by two different Rashids back to back. Now I'm afraid to keep playing because of the possible ban or whatever thinking it was me. I just want my crush counters for the FM. :(

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Mika's corner carry from anywhere is stupid. Give her something else if you want to, but that has to go.

mbpm1

wasnt that the dude who used to RQ and acted like he didnt? lol

The RQer who complained bout other people RQing, got exposed in the process through video, and then proceeded to accuse everyone who mentioned him RQing as bullying and block them

Mika's corner carry from anywhere is stupid. Give her something else if you want to, but that has to go.

It's not that much better than what Ken, Necalli and Cammy can do (aside from maybe being able to choose the direction that rope throw tosses them; would forcing it to go forward fix your dilemma?) and they have lots of great tools on top of their corner carry.

I dunno I just feel like removing any of her major tools would severely hamper her competitive viability and I dunno what they could give her to compensate.

mbpm1

I dunno I just feel like removing any of her major tools would severely hamper her competitive viability and I dunno what they could give her to compensate.

Capcom: Mika's V-skill now stacks if used concurrently! Kill her before she charges up enough for the OHKO!

Edzi

It's not that much better than what Ken, Necalli and Cammy can do (aside from maybe being able to choose the direction that rope throw tosses them; would forcing it to go forward fix your dilemma?) and they have lots of great tools on top of their corner carry.

Eh, I'm not really sure about that anymore. If Mika gets you in the corner it's most likely game over, so she should have to work waaay harder to get you into the corner than she currently has to. Removing the godlike irish whip corner carry would be fine, since her other buttons are good enough to survive without that move.

Farewell

giphy.gif

Why every third game i play is getting laggy on round 2, i'm pretty sure it's not on my end, i always check my connection and there is also no lag at all when i play overwatch for example.

Especially people from France or Spain are are most of the time laggy for me (i'm from germany). I don't care about my points, but i can't improve my gameplay this way!

Should i stick to battle lounges with germans for the rest of my street fighter 5 career? I want to beat daigo before he gets too old.

Edit: Playing with LAN.

mbpm1

giphy.gif

Why every third game i play is getting laggy on round 2, i'm pretty sure it's not on my end, i always check my connection and there is also no lag at all wheb i play overwatch for example.

Especially people from France or Spain are are most of the time laggy for me (i'm from germany). I don't care about my points, but i can't improve my gameplay this way!

Should i stick to battle lounges with germans for the rest of my street fighter 5 career? I want to beat daigo before he gets too old.

You're not playing on wifi right?

If not then the way you should be using ranked is to set it to 4-5 bars, and then select the "Ask" option instead of automatic bc Capcom's matchmaking is crap and can't actually limit connections to 4-5 bars.

Capcom: Mika's V-skill now stacks if used concurrently! Kill her before she charges up enough for the OHKO!

Pfff.

A better V-Skill would definitely give her a new lease on life; right now the only reason to ever use hers is if you get a hard knockdown and just need a little bit more V-meter or against zoners who don't know how to zone.

Eh, I'm not really sure about that anymore. If Mika gets you in the corner it's most likely game over, so she should have to work waaay harder to get you into the corner than she currently has to. Removing the godlike irish whip corner carry would be fine, since her other buttons are good enough to survive without that move.

I disagree that it's game over as soon as she gets you into the corner; most characters have enough tools to end her pressure instantly if she gets predictable or they can make a good read. Just look at SCR and the European major from this weekend; the game's only just begun once they're in the corner.

mbpm1

Pfff.

A better V-Skill would definitely give her a new lease on life; right now the only reason to ever use hers is if you get a hard knockdown and just need a little bit more V-meter or against zoners who don't know how to zone.

A more toned down version of that could be pretty hype. Gaining power throughout the round via promos for the big finish like actual wrestling.*

*I don't actually watch wrestling

Farewell

You're not playing on wifi right?

If not then the way you should be using ranked is to set it to 4-5 bars, and then select the "Ask" option instead of automatic bc Capcom's matchmaking is crap and can't actually limit connections to 4-5 bars.

Just edited my post, i'm playing with LAN.

I've set it to "ask" and i always just accept full bar connections

Edzi

A more toned down version of that could be pretty hype. Gaining power throughout the round via promos for the big finish like actual wrestling.*

Yeahhh, wrestlers don't usually give promos in the middle of a match.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

The difference is that Mika is much better in the corner. She should have to work a bit more than to get one hit to get you there.

Edzi

Pfff.

I disagree that it's game over as soon as she gets you into the corner; most characters have enough tools to end her pressure instantly if she gets predictable or they can make a good read. Just look at SCR and the European major from this weekend; the game's only just begun once they're in the corner.

And I disagree with that. A good chunk of characters can't deal with it at all since they lack an invincible reversal, and even with that her mixup game is crazy strong in the corner.

It should be like Beowulf's Hype mechanic from Skullgirls: incremental benefits that only become worthwhile with commitment. Something like turning all of her command grabs into their EX variants until the end of the round once the "Hype" is maxed out would be cool.

FluxWaveZ

The difference is that Mika is much better in the corner. She should have to work a bit more than to get one hit to get you there.

There is also the difference that Mika is a lot worse than any of those characters at mid-range or any distance that isn't right next to the opponent.

Edzi

There is also the difference that Mika is a lot worse than any of those characters at mid-range or any distance that isn't right next to the opponent.

She's really not as bad as a lot of Mika mains like to claim she is. Her buttons are good, she can play a decent mid range game.

LakeEarth

DLC character costs 6 bucks, which is 100k FM. If my calculations are right, then the 50 FM you owe me is about 3 cents of value. Paypal me the 3 cents or gtfo
You're off by a factor of 10. It's 0.3 cents per win, $6 divided by (100k/50) or 600 cents / 2000.

FluxWaveZ

She's really not as bad as a lot of Mika mains like to claim she is. Her buttons are good, she can play a decent mid range game.

After having played a decent amount of other characters, no, she really is that bad. The only reason she can compete in footsies with other characters comes from the fear of being clapped, which allows her to get away with st.MK / cr.MK pokes and such. Other than that, she is absolutely awful at playing footsies, and the only reason she can is because of the clap.

JayEH

Sort of want to learn a new character now that I've spent a couple of months with Balrog. Think I might try Cammy. It'd be nice to be the one doing the pressure now.

Edzi

After having played a decent amount of other characters, no, she really is that bad. The only reason she can compete in footsies with other characters comes from the fear of being clapped, which allows her to get away with st.MK / cr.MK pokes and such. Other than that, she is absolutely awful at playing footsies, and the only reason she can is because of the clap.

Well yeah, and that clap is a very real part of her arsenal for midrange footsies. I don't know why you still insist on her being bad outside of the corner.

FluxWaveZ

Well yeah, and that clap is a very real part of her arsenal for midrange footsies. I don't know why you still insist on her being bad outside of the corner.

She's not bad outside of the corner, but she's bad whenever she's not in the opponent's face. The argument is that "Mika should have to work more to get her opponents in the corner," but that's the only reliable area where she's actually close to her opponent, via the clap. Remove that, and her only real way to get in close is the charged drop kick (the cr.HP isn't a notable means to achieve this) and jump-ins. She doesn't even have a proper sweep. She doesn't have any low hitting moves except for cr.LK and cr.HK.

If her corner carry sequence via the rope throw wall bounce were to be removed, she would then need to have a proper means of getting in to replace it.

Edzi

She's not bad outside of the corner, but she's bad whenever she's not in the opponent's face. The argument is that "Mika should have to work more to get her opponents in the corner," but that's the only reliable area where she's actually close to her opponent, via the clap. Remove that, and her only real way to get in close is the charged drop kick and jump-ins. She doesn't even have a proper sweep.

If her corner carry sequence via the rope throw wall bounce were to be removed, she would then need to have a proper means of getting in to replace it.

I still disagree. Her mk is good. Her cr. HP is great and can be spaced effectively to help get her in. The clap, as you mentioned, is incredible. Her jump ins are also pretty good, and she's got a great grounded anti air and aa grab that help keep the opponent from getting away over you. V-trigger and v-reversal are both free ways of getting a mixup. She has the tools that can let her get in with proper movement and footsies, just like a lot of other characters who don't have ridiculous irish whip corner carry moves. Mika does far better outside of "in your face" range than you give her credit for.

FluxWaveZ

I still disagree. Her mk is good. Her cr. HP is great and can be spaced effectively to help get her in. The clap, as you mentioned, is incredible. Her jump ins are also pretty good, and she's got a great grounded anti air and aa grab that help keep the opponent from getting away over you. V-trigger and v-reversal are both free ways of getting a mixup. She has the tools that can let her get in with proper movement and footsies, just like a lot of other characters who don't have ridiculous irish whip corner carry moves. Mika does far better outside of "in your face" range than you give her credit for.

Her st.MK / cr.MK are passable but, again, they're often outpoked by what other characters can do, and her cr.MK isn't a low, which means there's nothing stopping the opponent from just walking back instead of crouch blocking at mid-range.

Her jump-ins being good or not, that can't be the primary means to close in on an opponent. Her command normal in the air is usable sometimes to shift momentum and avoid fireballs, but it's still not something to rely on.

She has some tools to get in, as I mentioned with the drop kick and jumping, but this doesn't change the fact that it's hard to do so (against competent opponents who don't just let her do whatever she wants). It's her entire playstyle, and it's a reality I'm certainly familiar with after all the time I've had playing her.

It should be like Beowulf's Hype mechanic from Skullgirls: incremental benefits that only become worthwhile with commitment. Something like turning all of her command grabs into their EX variants until the end of the round once the "Hype" is maxed out would be cool.
I was hoping pretty hard for Alex's V-Skill to be a grab starter like Beowulf's that allows him to do all versions of his grabs including new stuff. Would have been dope if any V-skill grab could turn into a bulldog, suplex, spiral DDT, tombstone, backdrop or powerbomb. Being able to jump and transition to one of these moves would have been even better.

I was hoping pretty hard for Alex's V-Skill to be a grab starter like Beowulf's that allows him to do all versions of his grabs including new stuff. Would have been dope if any V-skill grab could turn into a bulldog, suplex, spiral DDT, tombstone, backdrop or powerbomb. Being able to jump and transition to one of these moves would have been even better.

That would be incredible. Great way to re-integrate his missing b+HP grab, too.

xabi

OK, going to start with a new character today...which one would you recommend if you were me?

Here are the ones I have gone through so far, ranked in order of who I enjoy playing with the most (not necessarily who I am the best with). With each of these I have gone through trials/etc and probably put in at least 7 hours of Casuals sessions and gotten to the point where I feel comfortable playing them:

Guile - Has been my main since the latter parts of ST.
Nash - The first character I learned in SFV, and just has so many fun tools
Laura - 4th character I learned, love the pressure/mix ups you can apply
Urien - never played him in 3S, but just love his style - totally different than anyone else
Rashid - this was a total surprise to me that I would like him. Same as Laura, and the rush down is just sooo fun
Alex - HUGE damage potential, and more mobile than gief
Boxer - miss the headbutt, but really fun
Necalli - I feel like I could really like him, but have not spent as much time with him as I would like
Birdie - 2nd character I learned, easy to use
Zangief - really like him actually, but miss having green hand
Karin - 3rd character I learned, and I probably know the game system a little better now, so probably worth another look. I liked her, but it's been very long since I played her
Chun - fun, but a little too execution-heavy for me to really click with
Dhalsim - fun, but a little too execution-heavy for me to really click with
Dictator - just have never found him fun to use

So, that leaves the following. Which one would you pick if you were me?
Cammy - want to try her out, but I have always found her difficult to use
Ibuki - seems fun, but perhaps too execution heavy
Mika - not super excited about her, but probably worth picking her up so that I can actually know what she is doing against me
Claw - the dual stance turns me off a little bit, but have to learn him at some point
FANG - have no desire to play him, but I guess will have to at some point...
Ryu - I always like him, but I always leave shotos for last
Ken - Was my main through to ST before I picked up Guile, and always a favorite, but I always leave shotos for last

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I cannot beat Guiles that use all their V-meter for V-reversals. I lose a lot of life to get in and one good block and I'm back out again. This is crazy.

Steam is downloading a 7.4 GB update for SFV. More content coming this month?
It's downloading the story mode DLC if you didn't have it installed. I don't know why.

That would be incredible. Great way to re-integrate his missing b+HP grab, too.
I honestly felt that his b.HP wasn't all that necessary after stun gun headbutt became a unique special (my favorite SFV change!). If his b.HP came back I'd like for him to have a b.PP EX version that leads to multiple headbutts like his Stun Gun SA and a new unique choke hold. That would justify it's return in my book. It'd be extra cool if he could combo into it off crush counters, heavy flash chops, v-trigger cancels or sledgehammer. It's not really one of the changes he needs imo, though. If I were in charge it wouldn't even be in top 6 buffs for him. What he needs is something for wakeup situations and a brand new v-skill that he can use more than once per round at the very least.

Mœbius

OK, going to start with a new character today...which one would you recommend if you were me?
Going by who you've already played and enjoyed I'd say go for Cammy or Ibuki, and given that you've previously not really clicked with execution heavy characters that leaves Cammy.

Btw, it's impressive you've played so many characters - I'm definitely not a multi-character player; couldn't do that! I've stuck almost entirely with Laura and Ryu since launch and Urien since his release.

Top Bottom