• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

colinp

Banned
I've been getting back into SFV a bit recently and honestly playing Casual mode is the worst/most distressing way to play. I'm sticking with ranked.

When I quit playing I was hovering around 700 points. When I decided to start playing again lots of people recommended playing Casual since there are no 'consequences'. True, but... When I played Casual occasionally I would get poor players, sometimes good or near my level and very fucking often great players waaaaaay above my level. There is nothing more infuriating than continuously fighting people so much better than you that your every move is read. Sure, git good and all that but also I'm not even sure where to start gitting good because they would (continuously) crush me no matter how much I tried 'switching it up'. It was a lopsided match over and over and I didn't learn anything from getting crushed so completely besides 'this is not learning or fun or fun learning'.

I took a couple days break and decided to try ranked again instead. Hallelujah! The matches were often close, even with people a couple hundred points above or below me. I won some matches, lost some, always hovering around 700 give or take. I stopped for the night after reaching 800 and feel like I am improving and learning be fighting people near, at or above my level. Fuck the number in ranked, but fuck playing 'Casual' (ahahaha, what a misnomer). I'm over the number, I don't care how high or low it gets. I am just happy it does it's job and makes matchmaking valid. I *always* accept rematches because I know the battles will be close or I can learn from losing to someone a bit better than me.

Tldr: fuck casual mode. No new player should start there. Jump in ranked and keep trying.

That said, matchmaking is soooooo much slower than SF4. Oh Capcom...

xabi

Mœbius;220435165 said:
Going by who you've already played and enjoyed I'd say go for Cammy or Ibuki, and given that you've previously not really clicked with execution heavy characters that leaves Cammy.

Btw, it's impressive you've played so many characters - I'm definitely not a multi-character player; couldn't do that! I've stuck almost entirely with Laura and Ryu since launch and Urien since his release.

Awesome, will start with her then, and thx!

Tldr: fuck casual mode. No new player should start there. Jump in ranked and keep trying.

That said, matchmaking is soooooo much slower than SF4. Oh Capcom...

Yeah casual should be full of people now either trying other characters or who stopped playing ranked months ago, you are best off playing ranked or battle lounge.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I wish you could remtch endlessly in casual. You stumble into really good matches from time to time but your opponent will vanish into the ether. It would severely reduce downtime, too.

I do still mostly play casual, but at around 6,000 LP, which is probably a little different.

Skilletor

I wish you could remtch endlessly in casual. You stumble into really good matches from time to time but your opponent will vanish into the ether. It would severely reduce downtime, too.

I do still mostly play casual, but at around 6,000 LP, which is probably a little different.

Yeah, same. I get only gold ranked players in casual. It's really fun.

FluxWaveZ

I made it as the top Canadian player on Ranked, apparently. I love seeing all this data; it's always amazing when third-parties handle these things in a way that the developers themselves don't.

Also, I still wish Battle Lounge had filter options. I'll be wishing for a long time.

Producer

Yep, loved this in umvc3 online (lol). Would find a good player on casual matches and would play 20+ games at a time.

FluxWaveZ

I played Cammy for the first time against people in Casual and I felt that I was doing better with her than all the time I've put into Ryu so far. I hate these vanilla characters; maybe my inherent playstyle is just diametrically opposed to these characters.

Moaradin

CPT was one of the best shows on twitch. Really bummed out about that, especially since Gootecks has been bringing down Excellent Adventures lately.

mbpm1

I played Cammy for the first time against people in Casual and I felt that I was doing better with her than all the time I've put into Ryu so far. I hate these vanilla characters; maybe my inherent playstyle is just diametrically opposed to these characters.

Isn't Cammy also a vanilla?

FluxWaveZ

Isn't Cammy also a vanilla?

The super speedy aggressor with no projectiles and the lowest health in the game, making her a glass cannon? Nope, not at all. Vanillas, to me, are the all-around types who are oftentimes the poster boys for their respective fighting games and cover every basic tool the games have to offer. I always gravitate away from those characters very hard; I find them really boring.

Dahbomb

Cammy is the basic archetype of the offensive frame trap based character in SF. Kinda like Zangief is the basic grappler archetype.

xabi

In just tried her for the first time today as well, and absolutely loving the way she plays

GGs Omni. Wish I could have given you more of a challenge but I'm tired as hell right now :(
GGs bro...your Urien is already pretty solid...scary combos with V-trigger.

Some things I think are getting nerfed.

- Ryu Jab
- necallis Jab
- jabs stopping AA and X-up in general
- Kens X-up tastu outside of Vtrigger
- Mikas clap always putting you in the corner (beta version was balanced)
- Chun AA options

All I can think of really. I think Capcom will be looking to buff more in season 2

Edzi

- Ryu Jab
- necallis Jab
- Chun AA options

All I can think of really. I think Capcom will be looking to buff more in season 2

I also think we're going to get some v-trigger balances, like Chun's being 3 bars instead of 2 and maybe draining faster.

Gootecks: "Mike we picked the wrong characters should have gone top tier." - plays mika and ryu.

Dude probably still thinks Ryu is bad.

Pro Talk wasn't even that funny tbh

8FVDWYI.jpg

- Ryu Jab
- necallis Jab
- Chun AA options

I hope you are right...

Aww man, just heard about Mike Ross leaving Twitch :(

Well, maybe he'll participate in tournaments with his Laura?

Bring the fat man to SF5 Capcpom! If not for me then for Mike Ross.

SmokeMaxX

- Chun AA options
Why this one? Chun's always had godlike antiairs and she doesn't have a DP to anti-air for free like Ryu and Necalli. I think they're more likely to nerf her IAL. It could easily be -1 and still be good (still force a trade against the half of the cast that don't have a 3f normal and already beats throw tech into full combo).

Producer

So fang can combo sLP into sMP, and sLP into sMK, but only at max and close range respectively. And only the first hit of the medium attacks are cancelable. And the damage is shit regardless. Lol the struggle is real

vulva

Why this one? Chun's always had godlike antiairs and she doesn't have a DP to anti-air for free like Ryu and Necalli. I think they're more likely to nerf her IAL. It could easily be -1 and still be good (still force a trade against the half of the cast that don't have a 3f normal and already beats throw tech into full combo).

Her anti airs weren't godlike in usf4 or ae. Once they nerfed df lk she ate shit on jump ins unless she had bar (and even sometimes when she did)

So fang can combo sLP into sMP, and sLP into sMK, but only at max and close range respectively. And only the first hit of the medium attacks are cancelable. And the damage is shit regardless. Lol the struggle is real

He can't link s.lp into s.mp or cr.mp unless it's a counter hit. s.mk works regularly.

FANG isn't so much about damage as he is about frametraps, pressure and zoning.

Top Bottom