• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

Kashiwaba

And exactly how is finding players from different countries a problem on my end?
Did you look into opening some ports on your router for the game search it my friend did it worked for him i play the game almost everyday and i have no problems finding players except when i play around 4 or 5am that's when i get matched with people from Asia and Europe.

Edzi

Ryu's dash in grab is the bane of my existence. -_-

Actually, his dash in particular feels amazing. I've gotten better at reacting to dashes in general, but Ryu's feels a lot faster than most of the cast.

FluxWaveZ

I was pissed earlier. This person called Smug (known FGC person, I believe) invited me to a Battle Lounge after a set we had in Ranked. It went:

1. 5 and 2 (I won)
2. 5 and 3 (I lost)
3. 5 and 2 (I lost)

It's tiring having to start from behind compared to all of these people who've been playing Street Fighter for years, and knowing that I lack the fundamentals they do. Even though I've spent so much time with this game, I'm still not at the point I want to be.

And this is made all the worst because, when I face someone who I perceive to be real scary by the way I play, I click into desperation mode and I fall apart super quickly. I hate it.

Edzi

Can Ryu get a meaty setup after every knockdown? Or am I just forgetting to quick rise or something?

Soon as this updates...

GGs, your Ryu is infuriatingly good. Glad I was able to at least steal a set by using Urien, a character I'm assuming you have pretty little familiarity with since you said you hadn't played in a while.

I was pissed earlier. This person called Smug (known FGC person, I believe)

lol

invited me to a Battle Lounge after a set we had in Ranked. It went:

1. 5 and 2 (I won)
2. 5 and 3 (I lost)
3. 5 and 2 (I lost)

It's tiring having to start from behind compared to all of these people who've been playing Street Fighter for years, and knowing that I lack the fundamentals they do. Even though I've spent so much time with this game, I'm still not at the point I want to be.

And this is made all the worst because, when I face someone who I perceive to be real scary by the way I play, I click into desperation mode and I fall apart super quickly. I hate it.

Maybe you should actually spend some time learning some tech and data, since all the high level people you're facing almost assuredly do just that. It also wouldn't hurt to actually watch some high level SF, since all these pros you're so unfamiliar with have tons of matches available for you to watch and learn from.

Also, smug is a fairly young player who probably didn't play sf before 4, and I don't even think he's considered one of the top sfv players atm so I wouldn't really focus on your opponent being better due to years of experience giving them better fundamentals.

Can Ryu get a meaty setup after every knockdown? Or am I just forgetting to quick rise or something?

I've taken a long break from the game so my memory could be foggy but I'm pretty sure he has something after every knockdown move except back throw. But that's only case if everything lands at point blank range.

If Ryu DP's someone at a further distance and they back roll then they're either free or they can wake up jab to stuff his axe kick I think. So it's also spacing dependent for some of the moves.

Edzi

I've taken a long break from the game so my memory could be foggy but I'm pretty sure he has something after every knockdown move except back throw. But that's only case if everything lands at point blank range.

If Ryu DP's someone at a further distance and they back roll then they're either free or they can wake up jab to stuff his axe kick I think. So it's also spacing dependent for some of the moves.

Hmm, that's a nightmare as an Alex player. I should start back teching more often, I think I only quickrise out of habit.

I was pissed earlier. This person called Smug (known FGC person, I believe) invited me to a Battle Lounge after a set we had in Ranked. It went:

1. 5 and 2 (I won)
2. 5 and 3 (I lost)
3. 5 and 2 (I lost)

It's strange hearing Flux talk about losing.

Grifter

GGs, your Ryu is infuriatingly good. Glad I was able to at least steal a set by using Urien, a character I'm assuming you have pretty little familiarity with since you said you hadn't played in a while.

Knockdowns are pretty close, but I typically need to guess on tech patterns. Characters w/o 3f moves make it easier.

Yeah, I prob need reps vs Urien's stuff because a bunch of it seems new to the game but his range and options seem hard to deal with at first glance.

Edzi

Knockdowns are pretty close, but I typically need to guess on tech patterns. Characters w/o 3f moves make it easier.

Yeah, I prob need reps vs Urien's stuff because a bunch of it seems new to the game but his range and options seem hard to deal with at first glance.

Still, you almost won despite that. :(

Your neutral jumping showed me that I need to rethink how I approach people from full screen. I kept trying slash elbows and stomps which got blown up consistently. Still, when I tried to walk forward your fireball game took off a good chunk of health through chip.

Ryu is hard.

Grifter

Anyone still playing?

Still, you almost won despite that. :(

Your neutral jumping showed me that I need to rethink how I approach people from full screen. I kept trying slash elbows and stomps which got blown up consistently. Still, when I tried to walk forward your fireball game took off a good chunk of health through chip.

Ryu is hard.

Good adjustments tho, GGs! I just spotted that the attacks target my location and went from there but Alex's pokes are scary if he's just creeping in.

FluxWaveZ

Maybe you should actually spend some time learning some tech and data, since all the high level people you're facing almost assuredly do just that. It also wouldn't hurt to actually watch some high level SF, since all these pros you're so unfamiliar with have tons of matches available for you to watch and learn from.

Also, smug is a fairly young player who probably didn't play sf before 4, and I don't even think he's considered one of the top sfv players atm so I wouldn't really focus on your opponent being better due to years of experience giving them better fundamentals.

But I do watch high level SF and I do memorize tech/data. 'Course, one can always do more of both.

I didn't know that about him, though. I still count SFIV since I feel like I'm still working from behind compared to players who started off with that; I need to catch up.

It's strange hearing Flux talk about losing.

Heh, sarcasm? I think most of my comments are about how tough of a time I'm having, though; that might be a mindset that also infects how I play.

I don't think just because a person played amazing in SF4 translates to success in SF5.

It is a completely different game in a whole lot of ways, and requires very different ways of approaching situations as compared to 4. There is a whole lot less risk mitigation in 5 as compared to SF4.

The fundamentals that you're talking about don't just necessarily apply to Street Fighter, they apply to practically all standard 2D fighting games. And IMO, it's mainly about adaptability. When you encounter situations so often, you tend to pick up clues and reads on the opponent that less experienced players might have to take more time in acquiring. And also being more flexible in the middle of match and adapting quickly.

Don't think though that you can't reach the same level as these "classic" players because with more time and practice, you can certainly reach their level if not exceed them.

FluxWaveZ

The fundamentals that you're talking about don't just necessarily apply to Street Fighter, they apply to practically all standard 2D fighting games. And IMO, it's mainly about adaptability. When you encounter situations so often, you tend to pick up clues and reads on the opponent that less experienced players might have to take more time in acquiring. And also being more flexible in the middle of match and adapting quickly.

That makes sense. Was it Justin Wong who, people said in the past, could pick up a new game quickly and become a top level player in it because of his fundamental knowledge? Achieving that would be awesome.

Past experience or not, though, it's not like focusing on that will help anyone improve any. It's just that it can be real discouraging when you're not playing like you're supposed to and you know it in the moment, and it's because it's a mental block.

Neoxon

The new D-pads they put on those MadCatz pads are great. Now my hands aren't cramping up on me. Feels nice.
I'm glad you're enjoying it.

Also, as a word of advice, set the analog stick as a right stick if you find yourself hitting it by mistake. It helps prevent accidental inputs.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
This is normal. Like getting matched up by a Mexican player twice in a row or from someone in Sweden at a Friday night.

Yeah this game is dying, I'm having a hard time finding US players.
Not sure how many times I have to tell you this, but you pick those flags yourself. They don't mean anything. Those two people could have been in the UK for all you know.

1. 5 and 2 (I won)
2. 5 and 3 (I lost)
3. 5 and 2 (I lost)

I'm sorry, but this is whining on a high level lol. There are 20 year veterans that regularly lose to Smug
(Sanford)
, he was maybe the best US SF4 player for a bit. He literally got invited to Japan as the only US player to play in Topanga because he was the best Dudley in the world. You are doing extremely well and I assure you that there are people that have spent 10 times the amount of time playing Street Fighter that would never do as well against him.

Edzi

Playing Alex is so much fun
when things are going well.

Also just ran into my first RQer in a looooooong time. It was some fraudulent Ultra Silver Chun who clearly only got that high through RQs.

I'm sorry, but this is whining on a high level lol. There are 20 year veterans that regularly lose to Smug
(Sanford)
, he was maybe the best US SF4 player for a bit. He literally got invited to Japan as the only US player to play in Topanga because he was the best Dudley in the world. You are doing extremely well and I assure you that there are people that have spent 10 times the amount of time playing Street Fighter that would never do as well against him.

lol, you said it better than I could.

tumblr_ofeuh17PlD1rspvx9o1_540.gif

artist

Korezo

What people use to get ps4 arcade sticks to work on pc now? I use to use the xb360 thing but people say it adds input lag, and the input files from the guy on twitter kills my performance for some reason now, anything new?

It was not all bad, Juri's was great and so was Decapre's. Character's theme in V isn't great either. Necalli's is forgettable, Laura's is insulting compared to the GOAT Brazil stage and Juri's is just toilet sounds.

Personally I'm not a fan of Juri's SF4 theme, just felt like it was going for way too much and didn't really feel coherent. Decapre's was awesome though. Rolento's was decent, Guile's was pretty good, Hugo's was also solid. Personally liked Abel's theme too.

Granted, SFV only has the 22 characters so far but there are only a few themes that are less than good.

Chun-Li's is not as good as her IV rendition but still decent. M.Bison's isn't that great. Nash's is ok. Laura's is GARBO. Juri's is kind of an acquired taste but I don't think it's that bad (not that good either but still).

Rest range from decent (Zangief,Dhalsim) to God-Tier (F.A.N.G, Rashido, Balrog)

Eeeh, I honestly prefer 4's to 5 tbh.The only straight upgrades i can see are ryu and ken's, everything else is either a downgrade or about equal.

New 5 char themes aren't that good either, only rashid has a standout one.

And get out of here Rufu's theme is great

You probably mained Blanka too.

EDIT: And El Fuerte

EDIT: And Rufus.

FireSol

What people use to get ps4 arcade sticks to work on pc now? I use to use the xb360 thing but people say it adds input lag, and the input files from the guy on twitter kills my performance for some reason now, anything new?

Im using SF5DInput previous versions were bad performance wise, but after I updated files to 0.0.8 version, performance went back to 59/60 fps

Steroyd

That feel when you had the match won but rollback happened in the middle of your match ending combo.

WooozAAAAAAAAAAAAA

On the bright side I started implementing delayed wake up tech so wake up supers and wake up DP aren't as much of a guessing game, makes a huge difference in surviving, but I really need to get my anti airs on point, losing so much health and momentum from people jumping in for free. T_T

Pachinko

1. 5 and 2 (I won)
2. 5 and 3 (I lost)
3. 5 and 2 (I lost)

Don't feel too bad, I recall Smug was #1 online in SF4 and near the top with multiple accounts.

FluxWaveZ

(Sanford)

The problem isn't losing. Losing is fine; any loss represents an opportunity to learn. The problem I'm having now is the frustration of still not being consistent, and I felt it heavily in our matches. As soon as the other opponent adapts, this mental block occurs. In set #2 and #3, I forgot how to walk and I only approached by trying to jump, charged drop kicks, or cr.HP.

That's what I hate the most about how I play right now; I can't maintain my composure.

I didn't realize that this was a Keijo reference until I clicked the link. That makes so much sense.

Farewell

When i had a laggy match i sometimes write a message to the oppenent but only if he is also from EU, asking them nicely if they could fix their connection because of the lag.
Now i got a message back from him few days later that he is sry and fixed it now, lol.

I've also set the stage on training stage and so far no laggy matches at all, i'm really happy.

Sry for my negativity lately because of the network, i was just a bit angry.

What's Alex's answer to neutral jump spammers?

From close range, you can stuff a jump early on with sMP or Lariat, or you can just double-tap sLP the second you see them leave the ground and score an air reset.

From farther away, a preemptive Air Knee Smash (if you have the read) or a jump-in jMP does the job pretty niceley but requires a bit of prediction to work.

FluxWaveZ

What's Alex's answer to neutral jump spammers?

Lariat and his AA knee special at mid-range. If they're just relentlessly doing that, then it makes it easy to simply walk in and go for a standard AA. Walking in should also stop them from constantly jumping unless they're into getting messed up.

If it's close-range, then it's jab or the AA knee special. Or even back-jump jab. Balrogs are very acquainted with that answer to this situation.

Edzi

From close range, you can stuff a jump early on with sMP or Lariat, or you can just double-tap sLP the second you see them leave the ground and score an air reset.

From farther away, a preemptive Air Knee Smash (if you have the read) or a jump-in jMP does the job pretty niceley but requires a bit of prediction to work.

Lariat and his AA knee special at mid-range. If they're just relentlessly doing that, then it makes it easy to simply walk in and go for a standard AA. Walking in should also stop them from constantly jumping unless they're into getting messed up.

If it's close-range, then it's jab or the AA knee special. Or even back-jump jab. Balrogs are very acquainted with that answer to this situation.

Thanks. It's mostly longer ranges that I'm having trouble with since it seems to shut down most of my regular approach options.

Top Bottom