• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTV| BUFF MY MAIN & NERF THE CHARACTER I JUST LOST TO

MrDaravon

Out of curiosity have any FPS tests been done on the Ring of Destiny to see if it has frame drops like some other stages? I can't remember if the stage framedrops are PS4-specific or if I'm crazy. Playing online practically every match is on either that or Balrog's stage. It doesn't feel off to me or anything, but there's a lot going on in the background (HYPE BEAR).

Also I can now fairly reliably do Chun's cr.lp st.mp cr.mk xx LSBK, so happy :D. When I played a bit at launch I just absolutely could not get the feel for that, now I understand the timing and what I was doing wrong and can get it fairly reliably. No way I'm probably going to get it done in a match, but it's a big first step! Haven't gotten to this point where execution is starting to be a serious thing I work on in a fighting game in like 15 years, feelsgoodman.jpg

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
What would older players get out of it? You're short changing those people. There's no reason for people who've already gone through it to do so again.
I had the impression that people want arcade mode to have a way to play the CPU however they want and how often they want, which isn't really possible right now.
Not for some story payoff or anything.

Marvel

could never
I don't think (but do want) we will be getting an extra fighter. Like others said, maybe some skins or stages.

Zerojul

For Arcade mode people just want a series of 8~12 fights with a boss char or two. And maybe a nice little illust at the end and staff roll and voilà. If they want to base it on story mode then so be it if not that's realy no big deal. I don't see the argument here tbh.

KingBroly

Banned
As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason to play a standard arcade mode at all, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Character stories are currently one-and-done

If you do it, you get FM, XP and access to a new Costume.

If they retrofitted that stuff, the people who already did it get nothing. Advertising an "ALL NEW MODE" when the majority of people get nothing from it isn't a good idea. And if they did, you're screwing over newer players who don't get to double up on that stuff.

It's simply a bad idea.

Big Brett

Anyone know of a good long range crush counter combo for Karin? I often panic when I land that sHk and don't know what to do for crush counter

SSReborn

If they do an arcade mode literally all they would need to do is make the "story" around it be text based they have the exact same frame work in Alpha. They have some small meaningless conversation at certain stages about the fight in question then they fight a first to 3. Doesn't really need to be that deep either way.

If they do an arcade mode literally all they would need to do is make the "story" around it be text based they have the exact same frame work in Alpha. They have some small meaningless conversation at certain stages about the fight in question then they fight a first to 3. Doesn't really need to be that deep either way.

Birdie's cinematic at the start of Arcade Mode : "Where the hell's my dinner?"

Birdie's cinematic at the end of Arcade Mode : "Oh right, I already ate it."

I usually go for the hp and whiff. Need to work on this! Thanks!

You need to be pretty close to get the walk forward > HP to hit after HK Crush Counter. It's one of her weak points, she doesn't have super great CC options. Best bet is either HK CC > V-skill to build some bar, HK CC > V-Trigger > HP > Tenko > Tenko or if you are already in V-Trigger then you can do HK > Guren Ken or whatever it's called.

Edit: HK CC can also combo into HK again but V-skill is a better option for the V meter.

Zackat

So about 414k watching the event altogether? That is pretty awesome in my eyes. Especially for a FG. Hopefully things only go up from here on out.

also these numbers don't count people who would watch it on their streaming app I bet. Probably just raw cable numbers.

She has one of the harder meter free CC combos in the game so I usually go for the VT cancel. If it hits I get the combo, if not I can start the VT pressure.

You should practice confirming it. It's actually quite easy even though I fuck it up all the time now after taking a short break and not practicing. Although something can be said for just hitting the button and starting the VT pressure because it can be scary but if your opponent knows their stuff then it can become pretty harmless.

Xevren

Something I found help landing CC st hk combos with karin, after the st hk crush counter hold forward, once you see them stop spinnnig hit st hp and do your combo. Saw this on twitter from fetto and works really well.

Also I still think Alex is really solid, but has the same issues as most grapplers.

I actually think Alex is horrendously bad. He has so many tools that it's hard to see that he's actually worse than Gief. So many of his tools don't do anything, especially the charge jumps.

He gets both rushed down and zoned out for free which is a bad combo. He has good frametrap mixups, but that doesn't win games by itself.

Zangief has higher health and his SPDs do more damage and stun and start up faster than Alex's, and his v-skill is super useful in a lot of matchups. Zangief is also better at managing short distances with his knee hop. Neither character is great, but Gief excels in some matchups whereas Alex isn't really going anywhere.

I think Cammy's too high here.

And Laura still feels like a hard counter-pick to Cammy.

It seems like a theme for people to not respect Cammy being a top tier character. She's a monster. Awesome normals, awesome hit confirms, one of the best anti airs in the game, great blockstrings. She can punish a lot of moves other characters can't with her spiral arrow and super, and she can heavy DP through fireballs on reaction from like a quarter screen away. That's crazy. She has the 2nd best air approach in the game after Ken and that's huge in a game where almost nobody can adjust their jump arcs. She has all the tools to excel in this game.

I don't know either way on the Cammy-Laura matchup, but that's a little too specific for me to change tier placings. I think Gief beats chun but I still think he's bad enough overall to be close to bottom tier.

oh lawd I am editing Urien's mesh to see if I can get decent legs as a basis for making summer costumes for the guys and there is a butt underneath that thong

junk isn't modelled but i'm surprised, I would've thought there would be nothing underneath when the thong polys were deleted.

Xeteh

oh lawd I am editing Urien's mesh to see if I can get decent legs as a basis for making summer costumes for the guys and there is a butt underneath that thong

junk isn't modelled but i'm surprised, I would've thought there would be nothing underneath when the thong polys were deleted.

Always looking at the butts.

Always looking at the butts.

8NkcS6t.gif

Neoxon

Could you check what Urien's loincloth model looks like with the other alternate costumes? Or to be more specific, does Urien keep his long hair after he burns his Battle Outfit to shreds in his Critical Art?

Edzi

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210574029]I actually think Alex is horrendously bad. He has so many tools that it's hard to see that he's actually worse than Gief. So many of his tools don't do anything, especially the charge jumps.

He gets both rushed down and zoned out for free which is a bad combo. He has good frametrap mixups, but that doesn't win games by itself.

Zangief has higher health and his SPDs do more damage and stun and start up faster than Alex's, and his v-skill is super useful in a lot of matchups. Zangief is also better at managing short distances with his knee hop. Neither character is great, but Gief excels in some matchups whereas Alex isn't really going anywhere.

It seems like a theme for people to not respect Cammy being a top tier character. She's a monster. Awesome normals, awesome hit confirms, one of the best anti airs in the game, great blockstrings. She can punish a lot of moves other characters can't with her spiral arrow and super, and she can heavy DP through fireballs on reaction from like a quarter screen away. That's crazy. She has the 2nd best air approach in the game after Ken and that's huge in a game where almost nobody can adjust their jump arcs. She has all the tools to excel in this game.

I don't know either way on the Cammy-Laura matchup, but that's a little too specific for me to change tier placings. I think Gief beats chun but I still think he's bad enough overall to be close to bottom tier.[/QUOTE]

As an Alex player, I can't help but agree. He's just not very good, though at least he's pretty fun to play. He can rack up stun pretty quick if he gets rolling, but in this game, who can't? His buttons are slow, his damage output is relatively low unless you're landing crush counter combos, and he's utterly free on wakeup while having trouble keeping his own pressure going.

Neoxon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210575871]Also, a fun fact: EVO is the first tournament in the SFV lifespan thus far that Infiltration lost a match before grand finals.[/QUOTE]
So it does bleed. That means it can be killed!
I know that Tokido slayed the beast once before.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210574029]I actually think Alex is horrendously bad. He has so many tools that it's hard to see that he's actually worse than Gief. So many of his tools don't do anything, especially the charge jumps.

[/QUOTE]

The charge jumps are decent answers for punishing obvious fireballs. His ex stomp is +2 on hit so even if they block it it's still your turn to press buttons. Not only that you can control how far you go with it so it is sometimes a viable way to travel across the screen to punish fireballs. His stun headbutts are a bit more gimmicky but do cause tons of stun at least. They're decent in resets kinda like Birdie's ex. bull revenger. So I wouldn't say he gets zoned out for free. His st.LP is a great AA and leaves the opponent in a mixup situation of eating a grab or blocking a lariat that leaves him +3 in tick throw position or still his turn to press more buttons. Or he can cross under after st.LP for a mixup.

Gief has 50 extra health which isn't a huge difference. I don't know why Alex doesn't have 1050 health though. Gief only has SPD as a threat on offense lol. Gief's knee hop is a good tool, but Alex has better pokes/buttons overall IMO. Alex' cr.MP/st.MK/cr.MK are all really good buttons.

I think one of the reasons why Gief isn't that good in this game is because most characters can convert somehow off a cr.LP/st.LP but all Gief gets is just.. more jabs and pray for the tick into command throw.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210575871]Also, a fun fact: EVO is the first tournament in the SFV lifespan thus far that Infiltration lost a match before grand finals.[/QUOTE]

He got bopped a couple of times at Street Fighter Crash.

Also, 9 out of the 10 grand finals spots available at the 5 tournaments Infiltration appeared at were taken by Infiltration and Tokido.

1. Final Round: Infiltration vs Tokido
  2. NCR: Infiltration vs Tokido
  3. Redbull Kumite: Infiltration vs Tokido
  4. CEO: Infiltration vs Tokido
  5. EVO: Fuudo vs Infiltration
If Tokido didn't lose to his training partner Yukadon we would have likely seen the same finals for a 5th time.

Xeteh

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210576885]Also, 9 out of the 10 grand finals spots available at the 5 tournaments Infiltration appeared at were taken by Infiltration and Tokido.

1. Final Round: Infiltration vs Tokido
  2. NCR: Infiltration vs Tokido
  3. Redbull Kumite: Infiltration vs Tokido
  4. CEO: Infiltration vs Tokido
  5. EVO: Fuudo vs Infiltration
If Tokido didn't lose to his training partner Yukadon we would have likely seen the same finals for a 5th time.[/QUOTE]

I still don't get how Tokido lost to Eita. I was seriously unimpressed with his Ken in that match vs Joe.

I still don't get how Tokido lost to Eita. I was seriously unimpressed with his Ken in that match vs Joe.

Tokido is a very analytical, by the numbers player and Eita is a nut. It was probably just enough off his "vs Ken" gameplan that he didn't adjust in time in a 2/3. Note that Tokido studies Ken in order to beat Momochi not Eita. He's definitely aware of Eita's style, but probably put less effort in to understand him before the tournament.

Tokido has two weaknesses: he is slightly vulnerable to things he hasn't seen before or practiced, and his play gets worse the longer a set goes. He's put in a lot of work to solve both problems, but they aren't eradicated yet. That's why you see him meditate in matches so much recently. He tries to calm down and reset his mind more often.

That said, Tokido has the fastest rate of improvement among the high-placing SFV players, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it to grand finals against Infiltration at Capcom Cup then lose to one of Infil's pocket characters.

To be honest I was surprised that Infil stuck with Nash at EVO. I was expecting a secret character like Vega to shore up the Mika matchup since that's his least favorite. Just goes to show how much he believes in the strength of his character.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210578547]That said, Tokido has the fastest rate of improvement among the high-placing SFV players, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it to grand finals against Infiltration at Capcom Cup then lose to one of Infil's pocket characters.

To be honest I was surprised that Infil stuck with Nash at EVO. I was expecting a secret character like Vega to shore up the Mika matchup since that's his least favorite. Just goes to show how much he believes in the strength of his character.[/QUOTE]

Next year he will bring god tier Vega and put all other Vega's to shame..

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";210577653]and his play gets worse the longer a set goes.[/QUOTE]

I dunno about this, he absolutely bodied infiltration in CEO grandfinals, only losing 1 game and then winning 6 straight, ending with a perfect.

I dunno about this, he absolutely bodied infiltration in CEO grandfinals, only losing 1 game and then winning 5 straight, ending with a perfect.

CEO is the first tournament after recognizing that weakness and starting to meditate. Furthermore, the fact that he won so many in a row only helps my point. He knows he can't let it get into a slugfest or he'll start to get sloppier. He relies on his absolute confidence to stay at that level.

This isn't just my analysis, he's said as much in Japanese interviews.

Ketch

Ohhh yea.

that feel when you win mirror match against somebody with 700 more LP then you and then they rage quit? SO DELICIOUS YOUR SALTY TEARS.

Top Bottom